PDA

View Full Version : Some parrallels with recent events

wws
25/10/2006, 2:13 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6084480.stm

hearts owner fined 10,000

Poor Student
25/10/2006, 2:20 PM
Romanov's insane and paranoid comments are nowhere near close to Cronin's innocuous comments.

WeAreRovers
25/10/2006, 2:21 PM
Hearts turnover is in the region of st£7m according to the Scotsman. Do the maths.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport.cfm?id=952282006

KOH

John83
25/10/2006, 2:21 PM
"Last season, you didn't manage to protect the Scottish Cup and gave it to Hearts, despite all the referees' efforts and intrigues."

I'm all in favour of a manager being able to say that the referee was rubbish, but accusing more than one referee of "efforts and intrigues" against you club is not defensible, IMO.

LukeO
25/10/2006, 2:49 PM
"Last season, you didn't manage to protect the Scottish Cup and gave it to Hearts, despite all the referees' efforts and intrigues."

I'm all in favour of a manager being able to say that the referee was rubbish, but accusing more than one referee of "efforts and intrigues" against you club is not defensible, IMO.

Exactly. I think any levelheaded individual will agree that the fines dished out to Cronin & Scully were outrageous whereas they were justified to take action against Rico earlier in the year for his nonsensical rant. Similarly, if any club official here were to make comments such as those made by Romanov, the league/FAI would be justified in taking proportionate action.

wws
25/10/2006, 2:55 PM
i think the common theme is people shooting their mouth off
romanov is very much an exceptional loose cannon in scotland
scully cronin et al are part of a very long line of league insiders dissing the league
the fai have deemed it worthy of cutting it out - and fore warned all to this effect ( I can see logic in their plan - if not in the execution)

as far as Im concerned if the likes of Dolan, Ollie and Roddy received this type of censure years ago we'd all be in a much better place league wise
Cronin and scully are merely trotting out well worn cliches in league circles
no harm in a nice warm glass of "shut the fck up".

WeAreRovers
25/10/2006, 3:01 PM
no harm in a nice warm glass of "shut the fck up".

Fine advice, wws, fine advice indeed. ;)

KOH

wws
25/10/2006, 3:40 PM
I felt so too.

dcfcsteve
25/10/2006, 4:09 PM
Completey disagree.

This isn't just a case of casual loose talk doing the league down.

The close season will see the single biggest shake up in the Republic's domestic league for at least 21 years - and arguably ever. Every club has to effectively re-apply to rejoin their own league, justify their operations and their xistence, and they may or may not get the league slot they believe they are entitled to from that process. This is the FAI's big roll of the dice to try to kick-start a new professional league.

If a manager like Cronin isn't allowed to make a factual point about something as fundamental as these changes, then we really are the People's Republic of Delaney....

It's not a warm glass of shut the hell up (as the movie actually says) that EL managers need to be taking - it's more of ther truth serum that Cronin and Scully have managed to get their hands on that should be added to the water in EL circles.

wws
25/10/2006, 4:16 PM
truth serum - "the leagues a joke"

wow what an insight lads keep them coming - the facts are that these clowns are just wanabee roddy collins in the making. If they had have proffered a few constructive solutions and positive suggestions rather than trotting out some some jaded old cliches - you could just about defend them

these ppl through their clubs willingly and knowingly signed up to a code of conduct

John83
25/10/2006, 6:48 PM
truth serum - "the leagues a joke"

wow what an insight lads keep them coming - the facts are that these clowns are just wanabee roddy collins in the making. If they had have proffered a few constructive solutions and positive suggestions rather than trotting out some some jaded old cliches - you could just about defend them
I won't defend Cronin, but Shamrock Rovers saw their manager fined for saying that the rulebook needed tightening while discussing a situation where the league rulebook had proven totally inadequate.

A face
25/10/2006, 7:50 PM
I won't defend Cronin, but Shamrock Rovers saw their manager fined for saying that the rulebook needed tightening while discussing a situation where the league rulebook had proven totally inadequate.

Cronin simple said that "We dont know what is happening" as regards the new league. Neither the FAI, the media, UEFA, Tom the Gom, even John Delaney himself knows what will happen. To fine Cronin was completely stupid and pointless.

John83
25/10/2006, 8:34 PM
Cronin simple said that "We dont know what is happening" as regards the new league. Neither the FAI, the media, UEFA, Tom the Gom, even John Delaney himself knows what will happen. To fine Cronin was completely stupid and pointless.
Perhaps he did (I didn't see this at the time), but going by what he says himself, “I described the fact that I didn't know what league we would be in next season, regardless of where we finish, as a joke," [source (http://www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=3795)], you're simplifying substantially. It strikes me as excessive to fine him, but let's not pretend that he said nothing.

pineapple stu
25/10/2006, 9:32 PM
I really don't see what he said, to be honest. Or rather, I see exactly what he said, but it's so utterly incontrovertible that you may as well fine him for saying "I like air; it helps me live"

LukeO
25/10/2006, 10:26 PM
"I like air; it helps me live"

How dare you?!! :mad:

Jerry The Saint
26/10/2006, 9:31 AM
"I like air; it helps me live"

I sincerely hope the moderators will be taking action. :mad:

Sheridan
26/10/2006, 9:47 AM
More parallels with recent events, this time from impoverished Bolivia

Bolivar striker Martin Menacho scored the only goal of the La Paz derby against arch-rivals The Strongest amid claims he should not even have been playing. Menacho, sent off in a previous game, had been suspended by the League two days before the derby but Bolivar claimed they had not been officially informed.

The Strongest poured scorn on this suggestion. "We all know there are ways of getting around this - as a last resort they could have disconnected their fax", said president Jorge Pacheco.
Word travels fast...

wws
26/10/2006, 9:54 AM
Senor Jimmy Roddy of The Strongest :D

NY Hoop
26/10/2006, 10:11 AM

Tom the Gom would run the league better.

KOH

Magicme
26/10/2006, 10:52 AM
Tom the Gom would run the league better.

KOH

U sure about that?? He tried to advise me that all rovers fans should be strip searched (have no prob with that myself:D ) and to check their shoes for knives (not doing that, I hate feet)

John83
26/10/2006, 11:21 AM
I really don't see what he said, to be honest. Or rather, I see exactly what he said, but it's so utterly incontrovertible that you may as well fine him for saying "I like air; it helps me live"
You accounting practices are a joke, Kev. Incontrovertible my ass.

dcfcsteve
26/10/2006, 11:36 AM
More parallels with recent events, this time from impoverished Bolivia

Word travels fast...

Only, The Strongest Will Survive..... :D