PDA

View Full Version : Liepaja Go Marching On

Leonard
02/07/2001, 11:56 AM
Liepaja beat the Dutch side 3-2 at home. I'm off to the Irish Times to see if they've started the "Is Dutch Football Dead After This Defeat" poll yet a la City.

pete
02/07/2001, 12:15 PM
Onefootball.com (http://www.onefootball.com/index.phtml?page=fullstory&country_id=26&newsid=86351)

Apparently they even had 5,000 at the game. What kind of crowd was there against City? 6,000 surely? ;)

Jim Smith
02/07/2001, 1:20 PM
I only saw the home leg but I actually thought the Latvians played well at the X with good movement off the ball and an instinctive understanding of where the rest of their team was. Rather than bad luck and lack of match fitness I thought we were beaten by a team that were just a wee bit more professional.

O.K. this post may be a bit out of date :) but I'm just saying I'm not too surprised to see them doing reasonably well

joe
02/07/2001, 7:52 PM
Is it possible that the Dutch are taking this competition less seriously than anyone else????????

City Hero
02/07/2001, 10:14 PM
Jim,

I agree with you when you say that Liepaja were "a wee bit more professional", and they did seem to know where the rest of their team was, but I think they made just as many basic mistakes as us in the home game (miss placed passes etc). And this came from a team on top of their league and with some 9 or 10 matches under their belt. I don't like saying it but with a bit more match practice it would have been a lot more difficult for City to loose the tie. It might even have needed an own goal. But thank god there is no costly trip to Holland next saturday and I don't think that the security in Midleton would have been up to the task of controlling several hundred mad dutchmen last weekend.

Neil
03/07/2001, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by City Hero
I don't think that the security in Midleton would have been up to the task of controlling several hundred mad dutchmen last weekend.
Speaking of which, that guy with the cigar and Hawaii 5-0 shades must be the second most hated person involved with Cork City FC.

joe
03/07/2001, 8:01 AM
Originally posted by neil

Speaking of which, that guy with the cigar and Hawaii 5-0 shades must be the second most hated person involved with Cork City FC.

Second to whom, Neil?

Neil
03/07/2001, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by joe

Second to whom, Neil?
Thr board of directors, the management team and the infamous 'Gang of 5', OK I should have said 'Twenty second most hated'!!!!!

Leonard
03/07/2001, 1:11 PM
But, Neil, we're going to win the league!

joe
03/07/2001, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by Leonard
But, Neil, we're going to win the league!

Is your source reliable on this?

Neil
03/07/2001, 1:21 PM
Originally posted by joe

Is your source reliable on this?
As reliable as one O. Cahill can be. So, No!

joe
07/07/2001, 7:58 PM
they lost 8-4 on aggregate, while Lausanne beat Sturm Graz 4-3 on aggregate.

Jim Smith
08/07/2001, 3:04 PM
Originally posted by joe
Is it possible that the Dutch are taking this competition less seriously than anyone else????????

I'd hate to think what would have happened if they were taking it seriously ;)

pete
10/07/2001, 4:41 PM
Heerenveen could meet Lausanne in the semi finals of the Inter-toto Cup!

Basel (Switzerland)/ Heerenveen (Netherlands) v NK Publikum Celje (Slovenia)/ Lausanne Sports (Switzerland)