PDA

View Full Version : Cup semi press conferences cancelled

soccerc
24/10/2006, 3:10 PM
The FAI Cup Semi final press conference / photocall scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled.

The FAI have informed the sponsors, Carlsberg, that this is due to lack of player / manager attendance.

Scheduled to attend were St Pats Athletic: John McDonnell (Mgr) and Colm Foley (Capt.)
Sligo Rovers: Sean Connor (Mgr) and Michael McNamara (Capt.)
Shamrock Rovers: Pat Scully (Mgr) and Aidan Price (Capt.)
Derry City: TBC

Interesting no?

harps1954
24/10/2006, 3:16 PM
More fines to be dished out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheridan
24/10/2006, 3:17 PM
Derry City: TBC

When they find out who won't be attending on behalf of Derry City, do you think they'll let us know?

NY Hoop
24/10/2006, 3:30 PM
Scully said he wouldnt show after the joke that was the fine. Cant say I blame him. Maybe the media, after Malone's article today, will make a case that answering a question should not lead to a financial penalty:eek:

KOH

WeAreRovers
24/10/2006, 3:34 PM
Scully said he wouldnt show after the joke that was the fine. Cant say I blame him. Maybe the media, after Malone's article today, will make a case that answering a question should not lead to a financial penalty:eek:

KOH

Spot on. Scully is right not to speak to the media and particularly not to show up and smile for the cameras for the sake of the FAI and their sponsors.

It's time the lackey press corp started working for their money. Fair play to Malone but loads of them know what's what and are afraid to say it in case they lose their jollies to Cyprus etc.

KOH

The Stars
24/10/2006, 3:40 PM
well done to Scully for refusing to go...

Patrick Dunne
24/10/2006, 5:17 PM
The bottom line is less media coverage for the two FAI Cup semi-finals.

hoopy
24/10/2006, 5:26 PM
No it's not, its getting the Fai to explain to Carlsberg why there's no press conference

Red4Eva
24/10/2006, 6:47 PM
well done pat scully

chippie0001
24/10/2006, 7:59 PM
Would you think this is a united stand by the managers and players ?

Just wondering this myself. Surely they would not cancel it because one team would not turn up. Did others refuse too as well and if so its a good sign. Fair play to Scully anyway, 100% right.

Kingdom
24/10/2006, 8:41 PM
Are the cup semi's on in neutral venues? I'd be interested in going to see either if they were on anywhere relatively close.

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 8:51 PM
An interesting development indeed. A bit of a shame for the Cup, but as Rogue T pointed out - these games don't really need the PR.

I hope it is over Chairman Mao Delaney's control freakery. Somethign needs to be done to address the balance, and this would be a good way to put the FAI in an awkward spot re an important sponsor.

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 8:54 PM
Are the cup semi's on in neutral venues? I'd be interested in going to see either if they were on anywhere relatively close.

Not neutral venues.

Sligo v City is in the Sligo Showgrounds, the other game is in Dublin (Inchicore ?)

TonyD
24/10/2006, 9:01 PM
The bottom line is less media coverage for the two FAI Cup semi-finals.

Kind of agree with that tbh. Lets face it, the big losers in the end, as always, will be the clubs involved. The FAI have long since proved they don't give a fluck,(now if someone was threatening their international trips, or their days out in Old Trafford, that would make them sit up) the media will just shrug their collective shoulders and move on to the days big enlgish football story. I can understand Scullys frustration(Thats if it is down to him, are people just speculating maybe ? ) but he might need to be a bit cleverer about picking his battles. He should do an Ollie, scour the rulebook and threaten the FAI with Court action:D

Kingdom
24/10/2006, 9:01 PM
Not neutral venues.

Sligo v City is in the Sligo Showgrounds, the other game is in Dublin (Inchicore ?)

Thanks Steve. Just thinking. If and when Athlone's stadium is fully developed and if say Terryland or Longfords grounds were up to the required capacity, would it be viable to stage semi finals in Neutral grounds? Just curious.

TonyD
24/10/2006, 9:02 PM
Not neutral venues.

Nah, PAts/Rovers is in Tolka. (Drumcondra)

CollegeTillIDie
25/10/2006, 6:47 AM
Well done to the clubs involved. I had heard about Scully's non-involvement last weekend. Hard to blame him everytime he speaks lately they slap a fine on him. I admire him for even participating in this week's EL Weekly. Maybe TV 3 should pay that fine for him....

green-blood
25/10/2006, 7:24 AM
teh fai better hope Rovers dont lose in the cup final or I know what section of the crowd Scully's medal will be throw this time!!!!!!!

Calcio Jack
25/10/2006, 7:28 AM
Maybe Scully should of turned up and done a "Prince" ie turned up at the press conference with word the word 'slave' written on his forehead and then refused to speak.

CollegeTillIDie
25/10/2006, 7:35 AM
Maybe Scully should of turned up on done a "Prince" ie turned up at the press conference with word the word 'slave' written on his forehead and then refused to speak.

Don't you mean the Artist Formerly Known as Pat Scully?:D

pete
25/10/2006, 10:58 AM
I believe Scully was fined by the eircome league? If thats the case why is no boycotting the FAi press conference? :confused:

The fact is that the league needs all the publicity it can get & petty in fighting is not the PR were should be looking for. saying that the Showgrounds will be full even without the press conference is very short sighted. :rolleyes:

WeAreRovers
25/10/2006, 11:02 AM
The fact is that the league needs all the publicity it can get & petty in fighting is not the PR were should be looking for.

So a €5000 fine for telling the truth plus Cronin's €1000 fine for his innocuous comments don't harm the game? Check out yesterday's Times and today's Indo for some "bad publicity", all of it linked to the way the game is governed here and the Stalinist tendencies of the Merrion Sq brigade - both FAI and League.

The cancelling of a photo-op is small beer compared to the real damage being done to Irish football every single day. We need to get rid of these people, simple as that.

KOH

NY Hoop
25/10/2006, 11:54 AM

IMO they should be in neutral venues. They are in Sligo and tolka this weekend as everyone knows at this stage.

Check out today's indo for a good article. I'd copy and paste but probably get barred by delaney/dahamasta:rolleyes:

KOH

pineapple stu
25/10/2006, 12:27 PM
I believe Scully was fined by the eircome league? If thats the case why is no boycotting the FAi press conference? :confused:

It's the same body, for all intents and purposes.

Thanks Steve. Just thinking. If and when Athlone's stadium is fully developed and if say Terryland or Longfords grounds were up to the required capacity, would it be viable to stage semi finals in Neutral grounds? Just curious.
Probably not. Neutral grounds is a good idea in principle, but with the public transport system in this country revolving around Dublin, it'd have to be a neutral Dublin venue. Certainly for Derry fans, for example, to travel to Athlone, they'd have to travel via Dublin, and also with a fair few other clubs' fans. I don't see any major problem with the current system, but from the point of view of maximising the crowd (which maximises the TV impression, etc), any neutral game would surely have to be either in Dublin or in a town on the train line/bus route/road between the two teams involved.

Check out today's indo for a good article. I'd copy and paste but probably get barred by delaney/dahamasta
Can you post a link?

Kind of agree with that tbh. Lets face it, the big losers in the end, as always, will be the clubs involved.

The cancelling of a photo-op is small beer compared to the real damage being done to Irish football every single day. We need to get rid of these people, simple as that.

KOH
Exactly. Got to be cruel to be kind.

Schumi
25/10/2006, 12:33 PM
Can you post a link?http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1711502 Requires registration.

Nothing much new in it but worth saying for those who haven't heard.

paudie
25/10/2006, 12:43 PM
IMO they should be in neutral venues.
KOH

Ideally they should be but the lack of suitable venues makes this impractical.

eg where would you play a neutral venue Sligo v Derry semi?Ballybofey/Athlone/Monaghan too small.

Would the atmosphere be as good in Longford as in Sligo with the amount of locals greatly reduced? Probably not.

Where would you have played the Cork Derry semi last year? In Dublin. If so what would the atmosphere have been like. Not as good as it was I'd say.

Where would a neutral Cork v Shels semi be played? Nowhere big enough outside of Dublin or Cork. It would probably be played in Dalymount, which isn't exactly neutral.

It's really only in England/Scotland they have Cup semis in neutral venues as they have plenty of venues and guaranteed large travelling support. Most European countries have 2 leg or non neutral venues for Cup semis.

joeSoap
25/10/2006, 12:50 PM
A €5000 fine is quite alarming considering the fine that that the walking ignorant lisp managing Cork City got for blatantly calling a referee corrupt on National television.

wws
25/10/2006, 12:57 PM
isnt €3000 suspended?

its a warning shot to ppl to stop dissing the league from within (a favoured pass time of every manager and club official involved
as they move into a new league format (with promised pro active promotion from the fai) its a reasonably sensible strategy - its just been introduced cack handedly

NY Hoop
25/10/2006, 1:15 PM
Ideally they should be but the lack of suitable venues makes this impractical.

eg where would you play a neutral venue Sligo v Derry semi?Ballybofey/Athlone/Monaghan too small.

Would the atmosphere be as good in Longford as in Sligo with the amount of locals greatly reduced? Probably not.

Where would you have played the Cork Derry semi last year? In Dublin. If so what would the atmosphere have been like. Not as good as it was I'd say.

Where would a neutral Cork v Shels semi be played? Nowhere big enough outside of Dublin or Cork. It would probably be played in Dalymount, which isn't exactly neutral.

It's really only in England/Scotland they have Cup semis in neutral venues as they have plenty of venues and guaranteed large travelling support. Most European countries have 2 leg or non neutral venues for Cup semis.

Agree about lack of proper venues. However Sligo v Derry could have been in Longford. Although they have only 5,700 seats.

Rovers v Pats in Dalymount.

IMO it gives both sets of fans a day out.

Most European countries dont give a **** about the cup.

KOH

pete
25/10/2006, 3:39 PM
It's the same body, for all intents and purposes.

I am surprised you are saying that.

The eircom league issues these fines, the eircom league issued the points deductions, the eircome league will eventually rule of Shels appeal for Bohs game. The eL is affiliated to the FAI in the same way as SchoolBoys football. Next season it will be different after the merger is in operation!

I don't think Scully should be fined 1 euro but no use boycotting the FAI. He may as well boycott FIFA.

pineapple stu
25/10/2006, 4:52 PM
I'm surprised you're surprised at me saying that. There's clearly no difference between the two at a practical level - the FAI pull the strings, and if they say jump, the eL say "How high?"