PDA

View Full Version : Play off at end of year

Terry
24/10/2006, 10:03 AM
see more here http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/fixtures-and-results/play-off-matches.html

Conor H
24/10/2006, 10:04 AM
So if we come 3rd we're finished?

John83
24/10/2006, 10:07 AM
So if we come 3rd we're finished?
As in no more fixtures, yes. As in not promoted, no.

The playoff is a strange game. It's worth next to nothing - the chances of that one point counting for anything are very small. It'll be like a post season friendly.

Terry
24/10/2006, 10:07 AM
yip we definitely need to finish in the top 2 as that is obviously stating that 1st will be going up for sure.

Conor H
24/10/2006, 10:09 AM
yip we definitely need to finish in the top 2 as that is obviously stating that 1st will be going up for sure.

Well i hope John83 is right otherwise the whole point of genesis the IAG etc is worthless!!

John83
24/10/2006, 10:20 AM
I think it would depend on who would finish second. Rovers would have you (their on the pitch record gives them a big head start) but Dundalk might not. Depends too on how many teams they want to relegate - with Dublin City's gone, it's likely to be at one of Bray, Waterford and maybe UCD, but it could be more or less - all three have good five year records compared with the likely candidates for promotion.

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 11:28 AM
Unless Rovers finish third, I think there's little chance of them not getting into the Prem either automatically or via the IAG.

Even if they did finish 3rd they might still make it - though that would seriously ruffle the proverbial feathers of anyone who didn't make it.

Agree that the whole idea of a play-off does seem slightly pointless. Will the teams and fans really be up for it if they suspect it'll count for nought ?

pineapple stu
24/10/2006, 12:34 PM
Unless Rovers finish third, I think there's little chance of them not getting into the Prem either automatically or via the IAG.

Agree that the whole idea of a play-off does seem slightly pointless. Will the teams and fans really be up for it if they suspect it'll count for nought ?
I don't see how you can note that Rovers finishing third would mean them probably not getting promoted and in the same post say that the play-off is pointless. They're both worth one point in the grand scheme of things.

[All assuming the process is administered fairly and competently, obviously, which is a huge assumption.]

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 12:53 PM
I don't see how you can note that Rovers finishing third would mean them probably not getting promoted and in the same post say that the play-off is pointless. They're both worth one point in the grand scheme of things.

[All assuming the process is administered fairly and competently, obviously, which is a huge assumption.]

Sorry - what I meant is I suspect the FAI will want Rovers in, unless the club somehow makes it very difficult for the FAI to take that decision.

I doubt that the difference between Rovers getting into the new Premier Division or not would come down to a single point.

Mr A
24/10/2006, 1:04 PM
Rovers have a stong four year record and will rank well this year due to decent cup performance and finishing at least close to the top of the first. That leaves tehm going into the off-field stuff in a very strong possition and I can't see how they could fail to make it, even if they are hit hard on infrastructure stuff (and I don't think they will) and licensing compliance (probably- but that's not enough points to derail them).

holidaysong
24/10/2006, 5:52 PM
Strange, very strange.

Dodge
24/10/2006, 11:56 PM
Got an official rundown of where clubs currently stand (if things were to stop today - i.e. league positions remain) Pats are 7th in football terms, Rovers 8th.

Bray 12th, Finn Harps 13th, Galway 14th, Dundalk a couple below that. A fair few points involved too. Can't see how Galway would get above both Bray (just built new stand) or Harps (last 3 years in profit, massive potential, stadium plans). Might get by one but not two IMO

TheBoss
25/10/2006, 12:14 AM
I see that no one seems to predict which other team will join the Eircom League, there is 21 at the moment, and they has to be 22, any idea's which team will join up, I think it might be Cherry Orchard cause of their successful youth teams.

Dodge
25/10/2006, 1:53 AM
Definitely will not be another Dublin team. Cherry orchard don't even have dressing rooms BTW

CollegeTillIDie
25/10/2006, 6:53 AM
Sorry - what I meant is I suspect the FAI will want Rovers in, unless the club somehow makes it very difficult for the FAI to take that decision.

Given the fines being dished out to Rovers lately are you sure about that?

DvB
25/10/2006, 8:14 AM
Given the fines being dished out to Rovers lately are you sure about that?

You can expect more of them before the season ends as well, from what we're hearing our manager is far from impressed with his fine & is putting up a fight over it, the club AFAIK is backing him 100% so expect the Stasi, oops sorry FAI to take a extremely dim view of this.

I wouldnt be at all suprised to see us shafted out of a premier division place purely on these grounds, its quite simple, the FAI have a serious problem with our club, we've known it for quite some time but its taken them till now to show it to the public in general.

Koh

NY Hoop
25/10/2006, 11:41 AM
Definitely will not be another Dublin team. Cherry orchard don't even have dressing rooms BTW

No definites yet. Of course there shouldnt be another Dublin club in the league but remember who is running the game?

KOH