PDA

View Full Version : Irish Strikers

theworm2345
22/10/2006, 4:56 PM
They are having serious issues in England, and I dont know why. I'll try to say something bad, then good about everyone I can think of off the top of my head

Robbie Keane: has 0 EPL goals this whole season, umm... :confused: he tries hard?
Kevin Doyle: seems to be a bit up and down, but has probably been the best of the strikers in England
Shane Long: Still hasnt scored, started today
Steve Hunt: still hasnt scored, started last week
Terry Dixon: does nothing at Tottenham, is apparently good :confused:
Clinton Morrison: struggling to get regular time at Palace, has scored twice
Daryl Murphy: has only scored once, is still playing usually at Sunderland
David Connolly: still hasnt scored for Sunderland, has been 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in Man of the Match voting for them the past 3 games (+ has had 2 shots cleared off the line :()
Stephen Elliott: is hurt--hard to judge, scored 2 goals in the games he did play making him Sunderland's top scorer
Alan Lee: not too much bad to say besides that Staunton wont play him and that he seems to be streaky, has been our best forward (goal-wise) with 5
goals
Adam Rooney: hasnt gotten much time at all for Stoke (playing behind Pericard, Bangoura, Sidibe, and Fuller), finished strong last year
Billy Clarke: still too inexperienced to start every match, but is playing quite well when he does get on. Has scored 4 goals
Jonathan Macken: has only scored 1 goal, retains his starting spot
David Bell: doesnt get regular time at Luton, has scored twice

So why arent our forwards doing anything at international or domestic level? I dont know if you have been counting, but it has been 493 minutes since one of our forwards has scored at international level.

Qwerty
22/10/2006, 7:32 PM
It's obviously a conspiracy, there is no other explanation.

BTW, I'm not sure what Stephen Hunt & David Bell are doing on the 'strikers' list.

cheifo
22/10/2006, 8:50 PM
Elliot scored two fantastic goals last season and clearly needs a good run without injuries.From what I have seen he has got quality.

theworm2345
22/10/2006, 9:42 PM
It's obviously a conspiracy, there is no other explanation.

BTW, I'm not sure what Stephen Hunt & David Bell are doing on the 'strikers' list.
I've seen them listed as both striker and midfield before, as have I Martin Devaney

Soper
22/10/2006, 11:04 PM
Sorry to be pedantic, but I thought the term 'domestic' in an Ireland forum would be related to one's performance in the National League?

theworm2345
23/10/2006, 12:25 AM
Sorry to be pedantic, but I thought the term 'domestic' in an Ireland forum would be related to one's performance in the National League?
I'm pretty sure domestic just refers to club football
"of or pertaining to the home, the household, household affairs, or the family"
Because many of the footballer's who play in England's home is in England it would be domestic, I think

Dodge
23/10/2006, 12:44 AM
Think you're being very unfair to the likes of Rooney and Long. They've very young and are doing well to get a game at all. Doyle has been highly praised for his overall performances for Reading but he's in a team that doesn't create many chances.

Keane is having a nightmare time at the moment though and some of the more experienced players just aren't good enough (Morrison, Macken etc)

Stuttgart88
23/10/2006, 7:36 AM
Well Billy Clarke got on the scoresheet again at the weekend for Ipswich and is attracting Premiership interest.

Tony Stokes hit two for Falkirk and is doing everything that's asked of him while on loan from Arsenal.

Andy Keogh is going great guns at S****horpe and is another one scouts are watching.

It's not all doom and gloom.

Exactly.

Clarke was continuously singled out on ITV's Championship summary on Sunday morning.

He scored one very good header, had a good low shot saved, had another blocked, set up Lee's goal with a beautiful crossfield pass on the break, and missed an easy header (saved) at the end. Not bad for a teenager. He's quick & direct.

Stokes seems to know how to score too.

Shane Long started vs Arsenal yesterday. Doyle is a fine player.

Robbie's not playing great but his form for Ireland is more dependent on our midfield already having a grip on the game first. I think we expect too much of him at times.

I noticed in what I saw of Real vs Barca last night that Raul is now playing in a withdrawn role, behind Van Nistelrooy & Robinho(?) & it seems to suit him. I think it'd suit Robbie too.

Just for info: Terry Dixon is a long term injury worry. Dislocated kneecap which is apparently a very dangerous injury for a teenager still growing.

Dr. Ogba
23/10/2006, 8:10 AM
Elliot scored two fantastic goals last season and clearly needs a good run without injuries.From what I have seen he has got quality.

I've been a fan of Elliott's for a long time and have always been impressed with him when he's had a decent run of games....good touch, quick enough, good awareness and, most important of all, he's a goalscorer. But I'm starting to genuinely worry that he will be injury prone for the whole of his career and maybe this is the reason that Man City got rid of him a few years back? IMHO when fit, I think he's definitely Premiership quality...

Stuttgart88
23/10/2006, 8:17 AM
Prompted by the concurrent Paul McGrath thread, I did a google search on Friday on Chris McGrath, Paul's son who was an Irish underage international & was in Liverpool's youth team.

This is what came up (from kickinmagazine.ie, in February 2000):

Kerr names u16 squad - February 6, 2000

Manchester City's exciting young prospect Stephen Elliott will finally get his chance to shine for Ireland's u16s. Elliott has been called up by Brian Kerr for the Republic of Ireland's friendly against Norway in United Park, Drogheda, tomorrow week, February 14.

Elliott starred at u15 level last season, but injury forced him to miss Ireland's three u16 games so far this season - against Latvia, Spain and England.

Liverpool's Chris McGrath, is again included. McGrath, son of senior international legend Paul McGrath, will earn his third cap at this level if he makes the team.

Republic of Ireland squad v Norway: Morgan Cranley (Grimsby Town), Paul Murphy (Seatown), Vincent Tyrell (Home Farm), Killian Brennan (Home Farm), Ciaran Sharkey (Belvedere), Chris McGrath (Liverpool), Pierre Ennis (Aston Villa), Eddie Keyes (Belvedere), Glen Whelan (Manchester City), Pierce Power (Ferrybank), Neil McCafferty (Charlton Athletic), Darren Potter (Liverpool), Brian Gannon (Lourdes Celtic), Barry Cogan (Millwall), Stephen Maguire (Belvedere), Denis Behan (Abbeyfeale), Stephen Elliott (Manchester City), Mark O'Brien (Belvedere)

So, it appears that Elliott's fitness has been a concern throughout his career. A pity, as I'm really convinced by him. A genuine goalscorer. I wonder would top class medical attention, like how Chelsea analysed Duff's hamstrings to the nth degree, offer benefit?

youngirish
23/10/2006, 9:05 AM
Strikers are the least of our worries. We've more depth in that position than all other positions and some fine prospects coming through.

Billy Clarke looks to be the business. He's been touted as an excellent prospect for a number of years now and was one of the Ipswich Youth teams stars when they won the FA Cup a couple of seasons ago. He has 4 goals so far this season (most from the bench) and has been the Man of the Match (according to the English Sun anyway - a rag I know) at least 3 times.

Adam Rooney also looked to be the business last year scoring 4 goals in 3 starts at the end of the season but the change in management at Stoke and an untimely injury at the start of the season has hamperred him a bit this year. He's only 18 though so he has time on his side.

Long looked decent yesterday rushing around and generally been a nuisance. He took on his man and beat them a number of times. He's lightning quick something Ireland can always do with up front. When Kitson gets back to fitness though I'd like to see Long get a loan move and a run of games for a Championship team rather than sitting on the Reading bench.

If you want to worry, worry about our Centre Backs. Or lack of them. Mc Shane warmed the bench again yesterday, Dunne was desperate on Saturday, O'Brien is still not getting a look in at Portsmouth and McCarthy was absent from even the Leicester bench (I think he's still injured). We are f**ked in that position and don't have anything decent coming through the ranks though Heath Ledger seems to be doing the business for a promotion chasing Preston (a tactical masterstroke from Stan perhaps getting him on board for the future?).

Stuttgart88
23/10/2006, 9:12 AM
Preston are on SKY on Friday evening. I'll use the opportunity to get a first real look at General Ledger. Hopefully a few of the Burnley Irish will feature too.

Darren O'Dea at Celtic is a highly regarded young centre-back. My guess is that Curtis Davis will be sold by WBA in January opening the door for McShane. Mowbray made his name developing a young team up at Hibs so hopefully he'll recognise McShane's potential. Mowbray was a centre-back after all! I'm worried that Marcos Painter doesn't even make the bench at Birmingham these days. I don't think he's injured.

Adam Rooney scored a few for the U19s recently, including two against Holland I think.

dr_peepee
23/10/2006, 9:42 AM
Everton are supposed to be keeping tabs on CLarke, according to one paper and a couple of web sites

Closed Account 2
23/10/2006, 10:28 AM
If you want to worry, worry about our Centre Backs. Or lack of them. Mc Shane warmed the bench again yesterday, Dunne was desperate on Saturday, O'Brien is still not getting a look in at Portsmouth and McCarthy was absent from even the Leicester bench (I think he's still injured). We are f**ked in that position and don't have anything decent coming through the ranks though Heath Ledger seems to be doing the business for a promotion chasing Preston (a tactical masterstroke from Stan perhaps getting him on board for the future?).

One of my friends from Uni is a PNE fan, he said that Sledge has been really impressive this season and is happy playing anywhere across the back.

Dr. Ogba
23/10/2006, 11:18 AM
One of my friends from Uni is a PNE fan, he said that Sledge has been really impressive this season and is happy playing anywhere across the back.

Remember seeing him with the team in Dublin airport before heading out to Stuttgart...remember thinking he looked a bit small for a centre-half??

cavan_fan
23/10/2006, 11:41 AM
Republic of Ireland squad v Norway: Morgan Cranley (Grimsby Town), Paul Murphy (Seatown), Vincent Tyrell (Home Farm), Killian Brennan (Home Farm), Ciaran Sharkey (Belvedere), Chris McGrath (Liverpool), Pierre Ennis (Aston Villa), Eddie Keyes (Belvedere), Glen Whelan (Manchester City), Pierce Power (Ferrybank), Neil McCafferty (Charlton Athletic), Darren Potter (Liverpool), Brian Gannon (Lourdes Celtic), Barry Cogan (Millwall), Stephen Maguire (Belvedere), Denis Behan (Abbeyfeale), Stephen Elliott (Manchester City), Mark O'Brien (Belvedere)[/I]

I know the progression from underage to senior is poor but God, we didnt get much from this squad. I think I'm right in saying only one has been capped and he is at best unproven. I think the generation who are now 22-26 have been a real disappointment which is a large part of our problems now and will be a huge problem in 4 years time unless we are very lucky in the young crop.

On strikers, for what its worth Billy Clarke is banging them in for my Football Manager Ipswich side!

DotTV
23/10/2006, 12:07 PM
Stokes is getting a few goals with Falkirk.
Graham Barret has just come back from injury with Falrkirk aswell.
They also have Stephen O'Donnell up there who used to be captain of Arsenal u18's as well as on Ireland U18's.
Richie Foran has had a few good seasons with Motherwell but I haven't heard much of him this year.
Anyway hopefully a few of these lads will play the B international.
Is it against a Scotland B team or a Scotland "full" team?

Peadar
23/10/2006, 1:18 PM
ITV had extended highlights of Ipswich on Sunday morning and Billy Clarke did really well, after replacing Jon Macken. He took his goal well and had a few further chances to score. The commentator certainly liked him anyway.

tetsujin1979
23/10/2006, 2:46 PM
Graham Barret has just come back from injury with Falrkirk aswell.
And he's out again after knee surgery

DotTV
23/10/2006, 3:08 PM
Unlucky or what?

as_i_say
23/10/2006, 3:16 PM
:D

more ledger gags please

Stuttgart88
23/10/2006, 3:24 PM
I think accountants could have a field day, but then again, a sense of humour would be required

FootballsKing
23/10/2006, 4:13 PM
stokes is the one to watch mark my words!

arsenal have some frightning young players with lupoli, bendner, gilbert, vela and of course stokes. wenger makes very few mistakes with young talent so hopefully this bodes well for irelands future!

Stuttgart88
24/10/2006, 7:21 AM
Everton are supposed to be keeping tabs on CLarke, according to one paper and a couple of web sites Daily Mirror says a £2 million bid is on the way from Everton.

tetsujin1979
24/10/2006, 9:08 AM
From football 365 this morning:

CLARKE FOR EVERTON?
Everton are preparing a £2m bid for Ipswich's 18-year-old striker Billy Clarke, says the Daily Mirror. The youngster has scored four goals this season and has been watched by Everton scounts in his last two games. But Everton are unlikely to be successful with a bid of just £2m because Clarke is contracted to Town until 2009.

youngirish
24/10/2006, 9:12 AM
Daily Mirror says a £2 million bid is on the way from Everton.

It would be a silly move for him now. He's not going to get into the team ahead of Johnson or Beattie. He should stay were he is with Supple, Garvan and Bruce where he'll get the chance to develop as a player and get regular first team football. Ipswich have a very young talented team and a decent manager . He should at least hang around until the end of this season and then consider his options if Ipswich don't get promotion (they could reasonably get into the playoff places as after a v bad start they are improving all the time).

Stuttgart88
24/10/2006, 9:45 AM
I agree, first team football is more important for him now.

Did anyone see Eoin hand's recent comments about young players being better off at clubs like Ipswich?

Dr. Ogba
24/10/2006, 11:02 AM
I agree, first team football is more important for him now.

Did anyone see Eoin hand's recent comments about young players being better off at clubs like Ipswich?

Didn't see his comments but totally agree, just look at young Keogh at S****horpe. Starting every match and banging in the goals and now being scouted by Premiership clubs. Up and coming players should be using these guys and preferably Kevin Doyle/Shane Long as an example. Stay at home and play for an Eircom league team and then when the time is right (when they are more mature) make the step up. Unfortunately money talks and not many youngsters can turn down the lure of the big clubs...

Closed Account
24/10/2006, 5:18 PM
Billy Clarke (http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=424174&CPID=10&clid=40&lid=&title=Town+play+down+Clarke+interest)
rumoured to attracting a £2 million pound interest from Everton.

Edit:
Just noticed tetsujin1979 (http://foot.ie/member.php?u=1858) already mentioned this.

SaucyJack
24/10/2006, 7:15 PM
an Ipswich fan has put up vid of Billy Clarke's goals on YouTube, link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-hf608K1H8

Kingdom
24/10/2006, 8:48 PM
[QUOTE=Stuttgart88;561068]

Republic of Ireland squad v Norway: Killian Brennan (Home Farm), Glen Whelan (Manchester City), Neil McCafferty (Charlton Athletic), Darren Potter (Liverpool), Barry Cogan (Millwall), Stephen Elliott (Manchester City), [/I]

/QUOTE]

These are the ones who I recognise as still playing in England, with exception of the player in bold. Is that the same Brennan playing for derry?

Soper
25/10/2006, 12:00 AM
I believe McCafferty also plays for Derry now, along with Killian Brennan, whom I presume is the one who was in the squad.

bigmac
25/10/2006, 11:38 AM

How about Joe O'Cearruill from Arsenal? was on the bench last night for the league cup match. I think he's qualified to play (must be with a name like that) but I don't know what his intentions are regarding international football.

Stuttgart88
25/10/2006, 1:03 PM
He's a defender and played for the Irish U21s last week I'm sure.

greendeiseboy
25/10/2006, 1:15 PM
He's a defender and played for the Irish U21s last week I'm sure.

correct he is a defender and did play for u21 last week and playeerd well.

Why are we always harking on about players who are either at lower level clubs or are on the fringes or worse of premeiership clubs making it at international level. We will not be competitive at this level until we can get players playing at the top level regularily. And dont come back with how norn ireland and scotland are doing - their bubbles will burst soon enough.

youngirish
25/10/2006, 3:31 PM
Why are we always harking on about players who are either at lower level clubs or are on the fringes or worse of premeiership clubs making it at international level.

Because the current crop of players are pretty sh*t and in such dark times there is only the future to look forward to.

greendeiseboy
26/10/2006, 8:08 AM
Because the current crop of players are pretty sh*t and in such dark times there is only the future to look forward to.

point taken but historically how many of the lower league or fringe premiership players actually make it

Dr. Ogba
26/10/2006, 8:12 AM
Why are we always harking on about players who are either at lower level clubs or are on the fringes or worse of premeiership clubs making it at international level

Well we wouldn't have much to talk about if we were only focusing on players playing at the top level now would we? :cool: