PDA

View Full Version : RTE football coverage blocked in the North

Pages : [1] 2

lofty9
21/10/2006, 3:31 PM
Last night RTE or sky blocked the eircom league match to be shown in the North. Why? Strange, as it would have got lots of viewers and have been an advert for our league, and it was available online throughout the world.

Today, The premiership match of Chelsea v Portsmouth is on Sky via Rte. This is always blocked in the North.

Anyone know?

Dodge
21/10/2006, 5:34 PM
Well Sky have the exclusive rightsto the premiership in the UK (relax, their word) do thats why thats blocked. Dunno about our league

pete
22/10/2006, 9:31 AM
Last night RTE or sky blocked the eircom league match to be shown in the North. Why?

Can't think of any reason why that would be done.

Strabane_Harp
22/10/2006, 10:22 AM
more than likely somebody f**ked up

Mr_Parker
22/10/2006, 12:10 PM
more than likely somebody f**ked up

Yep and not for the first time either.

A face
23/10/2006, 12:58 AM
Yep and not for the first time either.

More like RTE are a complete Fúck Up ..... pathetic ..... that fact we put up with them/the whole situation speaks volumes for us.

RTE - Fúck Up

Soper
23/10/2006, 1:03 AM
email them and complain.

brendy_éire
23/10/2006, 1:06 PM
It wasn't blocked on NTL. NTL don't block Saturday's RTÉ Premiership matches either, or Ireland matches for that matter.
Only thing I've ever had blocked on NTL was an episode of Home and Away on RTÉ2. I was gutted, to say the least.

Mr_Parker
23/10/2006, 1:45 PM
email them and complain.

Been there, done that, got the 'T' shirt.

NY Hoop
23/10/2006, 1:55 PM
All EL fans should not pay their tv license fee (which is a scam anyway) because of their patronising attitude to the league.

KOH

Dodge
23/10/2006, 2:02 PM
Yep, that'll learn 'em

David
23/10/2006, 2:02 PM
I think it is only a problem when Derry City are at home now. The game is being played in the UK so technically cannot be broadcast live in UK for some reason.

dcfcsteve
23/10/2006, 2:13 PM
I think it is only a problem when Derry City are at home now. The game is being played in the UK so technically cannot be broadcast live in UK for some reason.

Sorry David, but that's nonsense.

How come RTE have been able to televise previous Derry home matches in the north before ? How come they can show SPL matches in both the north and south ? Any issue re showing English/Scottish matches live in the North is not at all reciprocated in the instance of showing EL matches live in the north. There is no embargo against showing Irish TV live, which there is in parts of the UK for English/Scottish football with certain Kick-off times.

There are also certainly no political grounds on which they wouldn't be able to do so. So I can think of absolutely no grounds on which your statement could have the impact you're suggesting.

Let's just face it - it was an RTE balls-up....

Krstic
23/10/2006, 2:17 PM
TG4 don't scramble their Eircom games from being shown in Northern Ireland through the Digital format, therefore there can be no reason why RTE should.

David
23/10/2006, 2:39 PM
TG4 don't scramble their Eircom games from being shown in Northern Ireland through the Digital format, therefore there can be no reason why RTE should.
Despite what Steve says there is no problem when the game is played in ROI but there is when it is played in Northern Ireland for some reason. RTE have confirmed this to me in the past when I emailed them about it.

dcfcsteve
23/10/2006, 2:50 PM
Despite what Steve says there is no problem when the game is played in ROI but there is when it is played in Northern Ireland for some reason. RTE have confirmed this to me in the past when I emailed them about it.

Was the League Cup Final last month not live in the north ??

Setanta and TG4 have had no problems showing Derry home games in the north this year. RTE had no problem showing Derry home games in the north last year.

I suspect RTE have been spinning you a yarn David.

David
23/10/2006, 2:55 PM
Setanta are not a solely southern company so it is different for them, they have UK subscribers in Northern Ireland. Have any Derry home games been shown live on TG4?

David
23/10/2006, 2:57 PM
I just checked, none of the Derry home games have been on TG4 this season.

dcfcsteve
23/10/2006, 3:06 PM
I just checked, none of the Derry home games have been on TG4 this season.

At least 2 Derry home league games were shown live on RTE last season, and aired in the north - vs Pats (12th Nov 05) and Cork (19th Aug 05).

I am aware of no law or rights changes in the 11 months since then that would have made such broadcasts no longer possible.

A lack of Derry home games is genuinely more a reflection of RTE's unwillingness to leave The Pale.

When did you email RTE about this ?

dcfcsteve
23/10/2006, 3:09 PM
Setanta are not a solely southern company so it is different for them, they have UK subscribers in Northern Ireland. Have any Derry home games been shown live on TG4?

But if it was a legal or rights issue, it would be an issue for Setanta - regardless of where their subsribers are. If they show 3pm Premiership games on a Saturday, for example, their English/UK customers have the signal blocked.

It therefore can't be a legal or rights issue. So I can see no reason why RTE would need to block the broadcast of an EL game into the north.

David
23/10/2006, 3:21 PM
When did you email RTE about this ?

I think it was last season. By the way I would want thse games shown live, I am only explaining what I was told.

David
23/10/2006, 3:23 PM
But if it was a legal or rights issue, it would be an issue for Setanta - regardless of where their subsribers are. If they show 3pm Premiership games on a Saturday, for example, their English/UK customers have the signal blocked.

It therefore can't be a legal or rights issue. So I can see no reason why RTE would need to block the broadcast of an EL game into the north.

Again, the example you give is different. The EPL is part of the subscription deal for ROI Setanta customers. At the minute they do not have the rights to broadcast EPL games in the UK.

Dodge
23/10/2006, 3:27 PM
And even next year when they do, they had to buy two sets of rights. The Irish right snad the UK rights. Setanta Ireland and Setanta UK are seperate channels

dcfcsteve
23/10/2006, 3:29 PM
Again, the example you give is different. The EPL is part of the subscription deal for ROI Setanta customers. At the minute they do not have the rights to broadcast EPL games in the UK.

But that is exactly my point. There is a rights issue that prevents their broadcast in the above instance. There are no such rights issues re the EL.

As far as I'm aware RTE showed at least 2 live Derry home League games in the north last season, so they realy were selling you a non-kosher savoury snack (a pork pie....)

I suspect Friday night was just a fcuk-up in RTE. Someone probably saw 'football', assumed it was English and blocked the signal.

Calcio Jack
23/10/2006, 3:30 PM
Wouldn't have to worry about RTE showing Derry games if Derry were to move back to the IL... sorry couldn't resist:p

dcfcsteve
23/10/2006, 3:32 PM
Wouldn't have to worry about RTE showing Derry games if Derry were to move back to the IL... sorry couldn't resist:p

They'd still air us more times than your muck of a team then....! :p

brendy_éire
23/10/2006, 3:35 PM
It's not RTÉ who would have balls up, it's Sky.
If the matches are on RTÉ via NTL, then it's obviously Sky doing it.

I think it's cos Sky doesn't like showing any football except their own.

lofty9
23/10/2006, 3:35 PM
What David says makes sense. However, it wasn't implemented until Friday night. I have a SKY+ recording of Derry and Cork from last year so they must have decided to do on Friday for the first time.

However, they did show Chelsea and Portsmouth on Saturday through Sky(unblocked), which makes me think there was a balls up by Sky, ie blocking the EL match wrongly and allowing the English match to be viewed.

Calcio Jack
23/10/2006, 3:44 PM
They'd still air us more times than your muck of a team then....! :p

As ever the bitter immature response... hope you get over it whatever it is.

dcfcsteve
23/10/2006, 3:58 PM
As ever the bitter immature response... hope you get over it whatever it is.

Dear oh dear - and I hope you get over yourself sometime soon ! :eek:

I posted a clearly light-hearted response in response to your clearly light-hearted posting. So it's alright for you to crack a gag about my club, but as soon as I respond with one about Rovers you start crying and getting all offended.....! :o Grow up.

Please catch yerself on, and don't respond to any of my posts until you develop a sense of humour.

Thank you.

Calcio Jack
23/10/2006, 4:10 PM
Dear oh dear - and I hope you get over yourself sometime soon ! :eek:

I posted a clearly light-hearted response in response to your clearly light-hearted posting. So it's alright for you to crack a gag about my club, but as soon as I respond with one about Rovers you start crying and getting all offended.....! :o Grow up.

Please catch yerself on, and don't respond to any of my posts until you develop a sense of humour.

Thank you.

My sense of humour doesn't extend to finding anything amusing that involves either myself or Rovers been insulted... let's see off the top of my head in the last week you made references to Rovers being a loyalist team, me having a rain-manesque attitude (interesting you didn't respond to my comments about that ) and now this... it seems you have a weird concept as to what constitues humour , so as i say whatever it is hope you get over it soon, because having to respond to you is boring not just me but I'm sure most if not all of the others that use this forum.

dcfcsteve
23/10/2006, 5:07 PM
My sense of humour doesn't extend to finding anything amusing that involves either myself or Rovers been insulted... let's see off the top of my head in the last week you made references to Rovers being a loyalist team, me having a rain-manesque attitude (interesting you didn't respond to my comments about that ) and now this... it seems you have a weird concept as to what constitues humour , so as i say whatever it is hope you get over it soon, because having to respond to you is boring not just me but I'm sure most if not all of the others that use this forum.

I did respond to your Rainman esque posting ya WUM. The mods rightly delated it, along with your request for an explanation, as they'd already requested both of us to keep it on football within that thread. I still have the text if you want it PM'd to you....

Look - if you want to start a needless argument with someone, please go home and do so with your parents/siblings/wife/neighbours/kids. If you can't stand someone taking the p!ss out of your club, then don't take the p!ss out of their club beforehand, and then throw a tantrum when they respond in-kind! The rules of life are very simple. And I can't believe how pathetic you're being over what were clearly tongue-in-cheek comments on both sides.

Please grow up and stop trying to pick an argument. I'm really not interested.

OneRedArmy
23/10/2006, 7:41 PM
My sense of humour doesn't extend to finding anything amusing that involves either myself or Rovers been insulted... let's see off the top of my head in the last week you made references to Rovers being a loyalist team, me having a rain-manesque attitude (interesting you didn't respond to my comments about that ) and now this... it seems you have a weird concept as to what constitues humour , so as i say whatever it is hope you get over it soon, because having to respond to you is boring not just me but I'm sure most if not all of the others that use this forum.Get back to your anti-Rovers conspiracy theory thread.

I'm surprised, and a mite disappointed that you haven't managed to weave Stephen Kenny as a key figure into the "global conspiracy for the shafting of Rovers"(TM).

Bit of advice, get a decent lawyer next time (ideally one that has represented Saddam) just like Derry did.

David
24/10/2006, 6:43 AM
What David says makes sense. However, it wasn't implemented until Friday night. I have a SKY+ recording of Derry and Cork from last year so they must have decided to do on Friday for the first time.

However, they did show Chelsea and Portsmouth on Saturday through Sky(unblocked), which makes me think there was a balls up by Sky, ie blocking the EL match wrongly and allowing the English match to be viewed.

The only games involving Eircom League clubs that I have ever seen being blocked on RTE with Sky are those when Derry are at home, and when Shels were away to Glentoran in the Champions League qualifier. They did admit that the latter was a mistake.

Calcio Jack
24/10/2006, 8:52 AM
I did respond to your Rainman esque posting ya WUM. The mods rightly delated it, along with your request for an explanation, as they'd already requested both of us to keep it on football within that thread. I still have the text if you want it PM'd to you....

Look - if you want to start a needless argument with someone, please go home and do so with your parents/siblings/wife/neighbours/kids. If you can't stand someone taking the p!ss out of your club, then don't take the p!ss out of their club beforehand, and then throw a tantrum when they respond in-kind! The rules of life are very simple. And I can't believe how pathetic you're being over what were clearly tongue-in-cheek comments on both sides.

Please grow up and stop trying to pick an argument. I'm really not interested.

If you responded re the Rainmanesque comment fair enough... as you say it was deleted so I couldn't of read it... you could of course sent me a PM. As I said before making comments such as calling Rovers a loyalist team IMO is not in any humerous and indeed when taking in the context of your background it is reasonable to infer that it is meant as a serious insult... if I'd made some equivelent comment about Derry City I doubt very much that you would of accepted it as well meant tongue in cheek banter .

so if you want to engage in humerous **** taking about Rovers , I've no problem about that...but for the life of me I can't see what's funny about refering to Rovers as eithe "muck" or "loyalist"... guess there is no accounting for taste...

Hopefully both of our teams will make to the cup final and that will give us both the chance to engage in some normal banter...that's assuming we've both grown up by then:D

Dazzy
24/10/2006, 9:16 AM
RTE - Fúck Up

I could put it on a banner for Sligo game!

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 9:23 AM
if I'd made some equivelent comment about Derry City I doubt very much that you would of accepted it as well meant tongue in cheek banter .

Errrr - you mean like the comment you did make on here. Which I took as a joke, and then replied with a joke, before you threw a 'how dare you make fun of my beloved team' hissy fit...?

so if you want to engage in humerous **** taking about Rovers , I've no problem about that...but for the life of me I can't see what's funny about refering to Rovers as eithe "muck" or "loyalist"... guess there is no accounting for taste...

And I can't see what's funny about talking about Derry returning to the Irish League. As you keep on doing. Still - I try to avoid having a girly tantrum about it.

So let's just agree that your sense of humour is brilliant, and anything ever said in jest about Rovers can never, ever be funny. Thank God we've cleared that up now.....

Calcio Jack
24/10/2006, 9:48 AM
Errrr - you mean like the comment you did make on here. Which I took as a joke, and then replied with a joke, before you threw a 'how dare you make fun of my beloved team' hissy fit...?

And I can't see what's funny about talking about Derry returning to the Irish League. As you keep on doing. Still - I try to avoid having a girly tantrum about it.

So let's just agree that your sense of humour is brilliant, and anything ever said in jest about Rovers can never, ever be funny. Thank God we've cleared that up now.....

I didn't make any jokes about Derry City, nor did I insult you, nor did I use a particular disability as the butt of any joke. What I did do is open up a question as to whether there is a need for a debate as to whether consideration should be given to the idea that it might be appropiate for Derry City to return to the IL. I agree that is a serious subject and never did I treat it as anything but that.

As for 'hissy'fits and or 'girly tantrums' (interesting labels those, are you in some way misoginistic ??) well I didn't engage in any of those. I did however point out (as I'm doing again) that to refer to Rovers as a loyalist team is not in my view and indeed others any way humerous and most certainely wasn't in the context of this debate... perhaps you can explain what was funny about that comment ?

Finally , I don't pertain to have a brilliant sense of humour nor do I have a strong boredom threshold, so I'm not interested in this type of debate... but I am still very interested in hearing an explanation as to why you need to use political issues and the disabled as the butt of your jokes, to be honest I find that to be very distasteful and in no way humerous.

NY Hoop
24/10/2006, 10:31 AM
Calcio just leave it. He obviously has an anti Rovers agenda and is never wrong.

KOH

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 11:02 AM
I didn't make any jokes about Derry City, nor did I insult you, nor did I use a particular disability as the butt of any joke. What I did do is open up a question as to whether there is a need for a debate as to whether consideration should be given to the idea that it might be appropiate for Derry City to return to the IL. I agree that is a serious subject and never did I treat it as anything but that.

As for 'hissy'fits and or 'girly tantrums' (interesting labels those, are you in some way misoginistic ??) well I didn't engage in any of those. I did however point out (as I'm doing again) that to refer to Rovers as a loyalist team is not in my view and indeed others any way humerous and most certainely wasn't in the context of this debate... perhaps you can explain what was funny about that comment ?

Finally , I don't pertain to have a brilliant sense of humour nor do I have a strong boredom threshold, so I'm not interested in this type of debate... but I am still very interested in hearing an explanation as to why you need to use political issues and the disabled as the butt of your jokes, to be honest I find that to be very distasteful and in no way humerous.

Grow up and stop taking yourself so tragically serious.

So this wasn't an attempt at a joke then :

I find calling Rovers 'Loyalist' aboutely feckin hilarious. I'm considering making it my signature. Just like Rovers fans find it funny to sing 'what's it like to have a queen'. So why don't you go lecture them then, eh.....? :rolleyes: Pompous nonesense...

As for making jokes about the disabled, you really are clutching at straws. For the record, I have an extremely autistic cousin, so don't try and play the whole 'deeply offended' ballax. It simply does't wash.

Now go away and stop trying to provoke an argument.

P.S There's a 'y' in misogynistic....

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 11:04 AM
Calcio just leave it. He obviously has an anti Rovers agenda and is never wrong.

KOH

Here comes the cavalry...!

No anti-Rovers agenda NY Hoop. Though I'm seriously considering purchasing one, given the nonsense I've had to put up with from Hooped quarters recently.

I've already tried to tell Calcio I don't want an argument, so please don't you try to start one either.

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 11:10 AM
I could put it on a banner for Sligo game!

Probably not going to endear them to us though...!

NY Hoop
24/10/2006, 12:22 PM
Here comes the cavalry...!

No anti-Rovers agenda NY Hoop. Though I'm seriously considering purchasing one, given the nonsense I've had to put up with from Hooped quarters recently.

I've already tried to tell Calcio I don't want an argument, so please don't you try to start one either.

You'd argue with a phonebook

KOH

Calcio Jack
24/10/2006, 12:24 PM
Grow up and stop taking yourself so tragically serious.

So this wasn't an attempt at a joke then :

I find calling Rovers 'Loyalist' aboutely feckin hilarious. I'm considering making it my signature. Just like Rovers fans find it funny to sing 'what's it like to have a queen'. So why don't you go lecture them then, eh.....? :rolleyes: Pompous nonesense...

As for making jokes about the disabled, you really are clutching at straws. For the record, I have an extremely autistic cousin, so don't try and play the whole 'deeply offended' ballax. It simply does't wash.

Now go away and stop trying to provoke an argument.

P.S There's a 'y' in misogynistic....

Fact as I as see them

1) No need for me to lecture Rovers fans, what they are saying is correct.You do have a Queen which may or may not be acceptable to you but the fact is that's reality.

2) Calling Rovers Loyalist IMO is not in the least bit humerous and as I stated already the post in which you first mentioned that was IMO an insult to the people of the ROI... again that's your humour , you're entitled to but no matter how often you use it I still won't buy into it. If you want to make it your signature feel free to do so and I hope it brings you every happiness, at least you'll by default be able to have an association with us.

3) Say that my objection to your use of the phrase "rain man esque utterances" is clutching at straws. Well firstly I do accept that you didn't mean to cause any major offence by using that language. However I think it's a pity that on reflection you can't bring yourself to accept that it did cause offence.... how would you like if I'd said something like " spastic utterances" or "Paisleyesque utterance.." I think you might of taken offence.

4) Thanks for the spelling correction, your need to point that out IMO says a lot more about your failings than my faiure to spell correctly.

You keep saying you are not looking for an arguement. I was never looking an argument either but was open to debating matters and still am.However I don't think for either of us there is much to be gained so why don't we call it quits ? Your move.

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 12:44 PM
Fact as I as see them

1) No need for me to lecture Rovers fans, what they are saying is correct.You do have a Queen which may or may not be acceptable to you but the fact is that's reality.

2) Calling Rovers Loyalist IMO is not in the least bit humerous and as I stated already the post in which you first mentioned that was IMO an insult to the people of the ROI... again that's your humour , you're entitled to but no matter how often you use it I still won't buy into it. If you want to make it your signature feel free to do so and I hope it brings you every happiness, at least you'll by default be able to have an association with us.

3) Say that my objection to your use of the phrase "rain man esque utterances" is clutching at straws. Well firstly I do accept that you didn't mean to cause any major offence by using that language. However I think it's a pity that on reflection you can't bring yourself to accept that it did cause offence.... how would you like if I'd said something like " spastic utterances" or "Paisleyesque utterance.." I think you might of taken offence.

4) Thanks for the spelling correction, your need to point that out IMO says a lot more about your failings than my faiure to spell correctly.

You keep saying you are not looking for an arguement. I was never looking an argument either but was open to debating matters and still am.However I don't think for either of us there is much to be gained so why don't we call it quits ? Your move.

Happy to call it quits - thank feck for that !

As a fitting end to it all, I can't resist quoting the following however - that me mocking Rovers as 'Loyalist' for their tendancy to be the only fans in the Republic to consistently make an issue of the city of Derry's political status "is an insult to the people of ROI...." !?! :eek: :o

Thank God that's the end of it all !!

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 12:48 PM
You'd argue with a phonebook

KOH

As would you.

Only the phonebook would win.

And you'd have completely the wrong end of the stick in the arguement, but would still dogmatically stick to it anyway in a desperate attempt to save face.

NY Hoop
24/10/2006, 12:57 PM
As would you.

Only the phonebook would win.

And you'd have completely the wrong end of the stick in the arguement, but would still dogmatically stick to it anyway in a desperate attempt to save face.

That's merely your opinion.

Look at your posts sunshine. You should because you keep a record of them:eek:

When you open your mouth its just to change feet.

KOH

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 2:08 PM
That's merely your opinion.

Look at your posts sunshine. You should because you keep a record of them:eek:

When you open your mouth its just to change feet.

KOH

As I've said numerous times to you on other threads NY Hoop - please let the personal grudge against me go. It started over noithing, and you've ballooned it to major proportions now. So let's just move on, eh....

That's my 'Jerry Springer Final Thought' on the issue.

:ball:

Calcio Jack
24/10/2006, 2:13 PM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;561924]Happy to call it quits - thank feck for that !

As a fitting end to it all, I can't resist quoting the following however - that me mocking Rovers as 'Loyalist' for their tendancy to be the only fans in the Republic to consistently make an issue of the city of Derry's political status "is an insult to the people of ROI...." !?! :eek: :o

Happy to call it quits..... and then you add in the above:confused:

dcfcsteve
24/10/2006, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;561924]Happy to call it quits - thank feck for that !

As a fitting end to it all, I can't resist quoting the following however - that me mocking Rovers as 'Loyalist' for their tendancy to be the only fans in the Republic to consistently make an issue of the city of Derry's political status "is an insult to the people of ROI...." !?! :o

Happy to call it quits..... and then you add in the above:confused:

C'mon CJ - you can't make rash remarks like 'an insult to Rovers is an insult to all the people of the ROI' and not expect to get pulled-up on it..... ! :D