PDA

View Full Version : Are we in the premiership already?

Pages : [1] 2

eamo1
21/10/2006, 12:20 AM
i just noticed an article in the programme tonight where nick lesson was talking about ticket prices for next season going up to 15euro a game,this doesnt sound like a division 1 ticket price to me.also season tickets going up to 175euros,also doesnt seem like a division 1 season ticket price either.i realise,as the article says,that the club needs to vastly improve its income but we have a squad at the moment nearly good enough to win this division without a big boost in income.this boost that hes talking about seems to me like premiership standard income.maybe im completely wide of the mark,im just wondering,thats all.

eamo1
21/10/2006, 12:23 AM
heard a rumour that we are already assured of our place in it,that todays presentation was just formalities etc,its probably bulls**t.

Terry
21/10/2006, 7:57 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing also, if we are playing first division and charging those prices we will be pushing away even the most loyal supporters !!!

GUISAUltra
21/10/2006, 10:17 AM
yeah it would be a bit steep to have to pay 15 euro for monaghan kilkenny.

but hey as the song went last night
GOING UP IN THIRD PLACE
GOING UP IN THIRD PLACE

Terry
21/10/2006, 10:19 AM
Just another note, there is a €25 OFF coupon for next years season ticket if purchased before the end of year in the programme.

GUISAUltra
21/10/2006, 10:31 AM
yeah that is a really good offer and it'll be good for the club to get some season tickets sold before the new year

jebus
21/10/2006, 11:03 AM
Word of warning, our esteemed clown of a chairman charges 12euro in to all games, there is no student discount, and I am unaware if there is an unemployment discount, but I doubt it. I would not be at all surprised to see our prices go up to 15euro next season regardless of if we do or don't go up, I shudder to think what he'd charge if we actually got ourselves into the Premier and started to push for the upper half of the table.

It sounds like ye may be going up, but maybe your chairman is just taking a leaf out of Limerick's book. Now if only ye'd hire Noel O'Connor as the Galway manager :p

Trainee
21/10/2006, 11:11 AM
Word of warning, our esteemed clown of a chairman charges 12euro in to all games, there is no student discount, and I am unaware if there is an unemployment discount, but I doubt it. I would not be at all surprised to see our prices go up to 15euro next season regardless of if we do or don't go up, I shudder to think what he'd charge if we actually got ourselves into the Premier and started to push for the upper half of the table.

It sounds like ye may be going up, but maybe your chairman is just taking a leaf out of Limerick's book. Now if only ye'd hire Noel O'Connor as the Galway manager :p

Are you prices not 15 euro already this season?

jebus
21/10/2006, 11:30 AM
Are you prices not 15 euro already this season?

Well I've been 12euro in anyway, **** I hope Danny doesnt see this and come looking for the 3 euro I've been getting away with every game!

:)

GUISAUltra
21/10/2006, 11:50 AM
no they're not trying to rip the fans off with 15 euro entrance fee. if we get up and are serious about staying up there we need to drastically increase our inome and our attendances. i know we've had a big crowd for the last 2 games but as every true galway fan knows these crowds dont last

geezer
21/10/2006, 12:47 PM
with it so hard to get people to games price should never be a barrier for anyone regardless of income from coming to games. I dont like the idea of putting up the price because everyone else is doing it. The market will dictate the price and i think if we push it to 175 and 15 per game it will be very noticeable at the gate. stickin to one price is daft, there should be a standard and a range of prices over the season for different types of games.
ryanair do it, all the major clubs in europe do it. its lazy and dangerous and requires minimal marketing to stick with price setting but the club will pay for it. with a little thought and creative marketing its possibel to increase your income over the year by getting more people not screwing the faithful

jebus
21/10/2006, 2:49 PM
In fairness if Galway get promoted this year than the club will be able to justify putting the price up to 15euro I think. The club will naturally get bigger gates from hosting the likes of Shelbourne, Cork and Derry anyway so the people will still fork out for those matches

eamo1
21/10/2006, 4:38 PM
people would pay those prices to see shels,derry etc,not to see athlone,monaghan etc.nick is a smart guy,it all adds up if you think about it.i read the article at halftime and all through the 2nd half i was thinking about it in between roaring at o.donnell and murph.

sadloserkid
21/10/2006, 5:18 PM
nick is a smart guy

Makes the odd mistake though. ;)

eamo1
21/10/2006, 7:52 PM
Drew made though???????;) .to get back on topic,the silence from a few ppl on this thread who are in-the-know is very interesting.also does anyone know how much student season tickets will be???

mypost
22/10/2006, 12:43 AM
yeah it would be a bit steep to have to pay 15 euro for monaghan kilkenny.

That's what we're paying already, Premier Division prices for First Division football.

€15 x18 home league games + 2 home cup games =

€300 for the season, before other matchday costs are included. Then there's away games, other cup games, and friendlies on top of that...

Watching First Division football is an expensive business.

Terry
22/10/2006, 8:57 AM
how much is a season ticket for ye mypost?

GuisaSaigon
22/10/2006, 11:23 AM
I've got no problem with the price whether we go up or stay down.Either way we are going to need all the money we can get.

True supporters should buy season tickets ,no problem.I'm a bit surprised by the lack of imagination with this new season ticket campaign, though.In the past the club has been very good at marketing the tickets, by including vouchers or draws for good prizes.IMO you need gimmicks like this to convince people that its a good deal.The €25 discount is a good idea to sell tickets early but im not sure it will catch the attention of the masses.

We need to sell season tickets to people who previously might not have attended home every game in a season. If there was something extra included in the package they might think that they are getting value for money even if they dont make it up to Terryland for every game.

I dont mean this as criticism of the club or anything, just my thoughts on it.

sadloserkid
22/10/2006, 5:07 PM
Drew made though???????;)

:D Touché. I've not seen Ewan McGregor playing Danny Drew on screen yet though (although there's at least a grimy TV movie in Limerick's existence). For now I shall butt out of your thread anyway though imo Galway know that they're all but assured of their place at the top table.

eamo1
22/10/2006, 9:07 PM
whatever the price,have done for past 9 years or so.i hope they do have a student 1 though.i dont think the vouchers were used alot by people who had them last season.
the club wants to sell 700 for next season,if we are in the premiership i bet we will but if we are not then it will take some effort to make that target.2 of my friends are buying 1 for the first time next season,if everyone who has a season ticket already can get 1 more person to buy 1 then we will make it.

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2006, 6:52 AM
Well I hope they don't call the League the Premiership, that would be West Brit pandering to the nth degree. If your club has been told on the quiet that you are in the Premier Division next year regardless of where you finish it seemly means any of the following things 1) Some Premier team that didn't finish in the bottom three will be shafted simply because of their location etc. or 2) One or two of your First Division rivals who in a normal year would have gone up automatically will be shafted.
or 3) Possibly both 1 and 2 combined !

Football used to be a meritocracy, whereby teams earned promotion to the top League.... on the field by winning games and securing League points. Any diversion from that is the beginning of Americanisation of soccer in this country, and apart from the Women's game, it is not that big of a success over there.

geezer
23/10/2006, 8:23 AM
good example yesterday in lancashire with blackburn slashing prices for a class b game over 10,000 extra people came to the game.

GuisaSaigon
23/10/2006, 8:41 AM
Well I hope they don't call the League the Premiership, that would be West Brit pandering to the nth degree.

I've heard it's going to be called the "Príomha" from the irish for primary or premier.I wasn't sure at first but i dont mind the sound of it now.

Terry
23/10/2006, 8:45 AM
good example yesterday in lancashire with blackburn slashing prices for a class b game over 10,000 extra people came to the game.

they were saying on the BBC though that that had alot to do with it being a local derby and Bolton bringing 7000 away fans

MyTown
23/10/2006, 9:41 AM
Don't Connacht rugby charge €200 for a season ticket? I'll be getting one anyway. It's the habit of a life time. I think the voucher in the programme is a good idea. Programmes should use this approach a lot more ( say x number of programme vouchers = free ticket to next home game. This would give a seasont icket holder the option to bring someone to a game or pass it on to someone who's thinking about going - just a loyalty bonus really)

My first season ticket as a VERY YOUNG schoolboy was £4 (€5)!! Now that's inflation for ya!

Rovers'Til IDie
23/10/2006, 10:25 AM
Don't the rahgby chappies let you into the dogs after their matches, perhaps United should have something like this. Maybe they could have shark racing in the river after the match.

As regards the formation of the league next season, from all the reports, it seems to be done and dusted. John Gill of Dundalk said
"Without mentioning a name, I've heard from an FAI source, I don't want to compromise the guy who told me but I've been told that even if we win the league, if we did the double, we're still not going to be invited to the party because of our record over the last four years which to me is a joke, it's a joke that something hasn't been said now, that we don't know."

So the 1st division title race, exciting as it is, seems to be irrelevant.

gufct
23/10/2006, 10:39 AM
Talking to someone high up in Dundalk who said their record had them up the swanee without a paddle.The one thing the last 2 home games have shown is their is a huge untapped market in Galway and if we had the use of the other side of the ground we could have had upto 7,000 at both games.

There is a chance for the league to succeed but the provincal clubs are the ones who have the support base just waiting to be tapped with the proper marketing and administration.

I still hope we win our last 4 games and get big crowds for the remaining 2 home games and I wish Dundalk all the best real genuine fans who get behind their team and are a credit to the lilywhites.

Rovers'Til IDie
23/10/2006, 10:48 AM
I think Galway should try and promote the team outside of the city. A big effort I know, but might be worth a try for a few matches next season, especially, as seems likely, ye'll be in the premier divison. When the races are on, there are posters and advertising in Gort (where I am), so maybe get the club to put in a big effort on a trial basis and go to some of the towns in the sticks.

gufct
23/10/2006, 11:56 AM
We do put a big push on in the County and we get great support from outside the city and also from County people who live in the city.I met people from all over Galway County and beyond on friday night.

DotTV
23/10/2006, 12:03 PM
I think 15 quid is a bit steep for a ticket.
The rugby is 15 aswell and that's a bit dear even though they are a professional outfit.
I usually bring someone along with my like the lil' brother and I end up shelling out 30 quid before I spend any money in the ground.
I know Utd have Bills to pay but they should try their best to maintain the ticket price at a tenner.
The idea iof having vouchers in the programme is great as it would entice people to go to more games.

Guitd
23/10/2006, 2:10 PM
I think 15 quid is a bit steep for a ticket.
The rugby is 15 aswell and that's a bit dear even though they are a professional outfit.
I usually bring someone along with my like the lil' brother and I end up shelling out 30 quid before I spend any money in the ground.
I know Utd have Bills to pay but they should try their best to maintain the ticket price at a tenner.
The idea iof having vouchers in the programme is great as it would entice people to go to more games.

i think the league set the min price that a club charge i.e 15 euro for primer and 10 euro for first div games the club must charge these prices

Schumi
23/10/2006, 2:16 PM
Not sure about the minimum prices, I think Cork were cheaper than all the other premier clubs until recently (€12 as opposed to €15). They may still be cheaper, I don't remember what they charged this year.

Ash
23/10/2006, 2:36 PM
Minimum price for Division 1 games is definately €10 for adults.

Dodge
23/10/2006, 3:04 PM
Pats charge less than 15 into the terraces...

DotTV
23/10/2006, 3:07 PM
Maybe a different price for stands and terraces would work.
Our a general fee of 12 euro wouldn't be too bad but 15 is definetly a bit too steep

NY Hoop
23/10/2006, 3:11 PM
Minimum price for Division 1 games is definately €10 for adults.

Was €8 in to oriel which probably included the pleasure of getting stoned after by local degenerates.

KOH

Terry
23/10/2006, 5:08 PM
Was €8 in to oriel which probably included the pleasure of getting stoned

yip, minus the Souvenir (sp?) its a tenner in !:D

Terry
23/10/2006, 5:27 PM
here is an official statement from the club on the IAG meeting last friday

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/news-features/iag-presentation.html

Terry
24/10/2006, 10:05 AM
I see there is going to be play offs at the end of the season ! and they are going to be played when Im gone on my holidays!!

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/fixtures-and-results/play-off-matches.html

GuisaSaigon
24/10/2006, 10:45 AM
I see there is going to be play offs at the end of the season ]

play off to decide point allocation, not promotion:confused: so a team could win the play off and still be relegated or both teams could be relegated and the team finising third could be promoted:confused: This is all becoming a little bit too head wrecking:mad:

GUISAUltra
24/10/2006, 11:54 AM
theres way way too much criteria to meet to have to get into this new league. i woke up this morning to a text message saying that there will be play-offs and that if we dont get into them, we cant get promoted. now i find out the play-off will only help point allocation.

the sooner this league is over and they announce there final decision on whos gonna be in this league the better because everybody seems to have different opinions on whats gonna happen and new things keep popping out of nowhere

corbyeire
24/10/2006, 1:26 PM
playoff what???!?!!?:eek:

corbyeire
24/10/2006, 1:28 PM
seems like first will def get promoted and second will be left a bit vague depending on who plays the playoff - in my reckoning

eamo1
24/10/2006, 4:40 PM
this is a joke right?????where the hell did this come out of???

corbyeire
24/10/2006, 4:42 PM
no eamo check any irish football site today and its on it

as i was saying if the right team isint first then this play off rubbish can be spewed to get them up...

eamo1
24/10/2006, 4:54 PM
if a certain MASSIVE CLUB FROM TALLAGHT dont get up by winning the league they will have the playoff to try and win,what i wouldnt give to beat them in/to the playoff(depending the format of it),how sweet would that be:) .what a joke though,i just hope the clubs got more prior knowledge then us fans did.

corbyeire
24/10/2006, 4:56 PM
exactly :D

eamo1
24/10/2006, 4:58 PM
the FAI one is a joke for e.l news.

corbyeire
24/10/2006, 5:04 PM
eleven-a-side.com and the official GUFC site

Patrick Dunne
24/10/2006, 5:27 PM
Regardless of what happens, we won't be playing Shamrock Rovers in any play-off.

The play-off is between the 2nd team in the FD and the 11th team in the PD.