PDA

View Full Version : Weekend in Dublin

Strabane_Harp
20/10/2006, 11:57 PM
Can anyone suggest a decent place to stay in dublin thats not too expensive but not a hell hole?

planning a weekend break at end of november.

preferably close enough to shopping districts ( not my shout lol)

Dodge
21/10/2006, 12:19 AM
Depends what you deem expensive. The Jurys Inns are OK pricewise

noby
21/10/2006, 10:19 AM
Often the Jury's inn site has a special offer if you book on the web more than 30 days in advance. The last time I went we stayed in the Burlington. It worked out cheaper than any of the Jury's inns, and is only a ten minute walk to St. Stephen's green, for shopping. It was only around €80-90 a night. Just plug your dates into their site and see what it comes up with.

LeixlipRed
22/10/2006, 10:03 PM
The Skylon in Drumcondra is also non kippish and cheap enough. Plenty of B&Bs around though that are very very nice. There's a couple of decent ones on Philisborough Avenue in Fairview which is 5 min bus ride from City

Magicme
23/10/2006, 8:19 AM
A little known but very nice new hotel is the Ardmore Hotel in Finglas and its only €69 for the room.

Dodge
23/10/2006, 8:59 AM
But nowhere near shopping districts...

Magicme
23/10/2006, 11:07 AM
True enough but still nice!

wws
23/10/2006, 11:14 AM
But nowhere near shopping districts...

near the Finglas shopping districts

Magicme
23/10/2006, 11:15 AM
Not too far from blanch either.

Eoingull
23/10/2006, 4:25 PM
Dublin on the whole is a rough city...so you're always going to have to keep your wits about you if you're near the centre...maybe you could stay out around Ballsbridge, but that could be pricey.

Dublin12
24/10/2006, 8:20 AM
Dublin on the whole is a rough city...so you're always going to have to keep your wits about you if you're near the centre...maybe you could stay out around Ballsbridge, but that could be pricey.

What sort of nonsense is that:eek:

Jerry The Saint
24/10/2006, 9:55 AM
What sort of nonsense is that:eek:

To be fair, Dublin must appear like a very rough place compared to the shiny happy paradise-by-the-sea that is Bray, where the friendly locals always have a smile on their face and a song in their hearts to welcome visitors...:)

John83
24/10/2006, 10:13 AM
To be fair, Dublin must appear like a very rough place compared to the shiny happy paradise-by-the-sea that is Bray, where the friendly locals always have a smile on their face and a song in their hearts to welcome visitors...:)
Bray is in Dublin.

Well, part of it is. But look at their public transport - Dublin Bus, the Dublin Area Rapid Transit, and the accents...

Think the Montrose hotel (http://www.jurys-dublin-hotels.com/themontrose_dublin) is still running €85/night. Three star hotel, Good bus routes into town (and indeed out to Bray), convenient to UCD games. ;)

Macy
24/10/2006, 10:28 AM
Think the Montrose hotel (http://www.jurys-dublin-hotels.com/themontrose_dublin) is still running €85/night. Three star hotel, Good bus routes into town (and indeed out to Bray), convenient to UCD games. ;)
Watch for additional service charges hidden in the small prints of the non-Inn jury's hotel's. Apart from that, an okay hotel to stay in, although some rooms in better condition than others. Is it one of the ones that's been sold to developers?

Bewley's in Ballsbridge is €99 a room, but the service levels are brutal. Stayed there last week and ended up having several complaints, none of which were dealt with effectively. None of the group staying will be going back to it.

The Jury's Inns are grand (do what they say on the tin I suppose),
but hard enough booked for weekends I think.

shakermaker1982
24/10/2006, 11:47 AM
A little known but very nice new hotel is the Ardmore Hotel in Finglas and its only €69 for the room.

stayed there for the All Ireland weekend - 10 minute bus journey and your in O'Connell St. Cheap, clean and big enough rooms.

Magicme
24/10/2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah the first time I stayed there was surprised at how nice the rooms were and the restaurant and bar are lovely.

Babysis
24/10/2006, 8:29 PM
we usually stay in the Earl of Kildare Hotel - off the top of my head it was about E90 for a double room. By Trinity so very handy. Me and Green Tribe stayed there when we came over for the international friendly.