PDA

View Full Version : Rico for X

Casegrande
02/10/2002, 2:55 AM
What's Damien Richardson up to these days apart from commentating on the Champions League for TV3? Nothing?

Would he be available in February for a full-time job in Cork?
Or if we lose to Derry... could he start on Monday?

pete
02/10/2002, 1:12 PM
AFAIK or last heard Rico is pretty much fulltime in football. Even when he with Rovers he was also coaching underage & junior league sides for an evening a week or so...

SÓC
02/10/2002, 1:15 PM
There was some story on soccercentral.ie a while ago saying that he was fed up with Irish Football and the people who run it. He had gotten a job coaching in England with some nationwide team, some old buddie of his was the manager.

Éanna
02/10/2002, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
There was some story on soccercentral.ie a while ago saying that he was fed up with Irish Football and the people who run it. He had gotten a job coaching in England with some nationwide team, some old buddie of his was the manager.
I think it was Birmingham, though i might be wrong.

Much as I´d like a change, and think Rico would be better than gunther, I don´t see all the fuss about the guy- what has he ever won, or is it just that he holds some kind of record for most consecutive 2nd place finishes in all competitions- where are his trophies and medals?!!!!

SÓC
02/10/2002, 2:20 PM
To be fair to Rico he has been manager at the biggest cowboy outfits in the eL.

He was sacked from City when we we top of the League and he was doing quite well with a very limtied Rovers team recently. I dont know what he did at Shels. He does seem to be able to find and buy good players, Billy Woods, Gaz, Noel Hunt, Francis and the Grants just a few examples.

What is a pro-gunther like me singing the virtues of another manager for....:)

Éanna
02/10/2002, 2:25 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
What is a pro-gunther like me singing the virtues of another manager for....:)
don´t worry, nearly everyone sees the light sooner or later ;)

Dricky
02/10/2002, 2:54 PM
Rico is working for an insurance crowd in Dublin, given footie a break for a while.

Troy.McClure
02/10/2002, 4:59 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
what has he ever won, or is it just that he holds some kind of record for most consecutive 2nd place finishes in all competitions- where are his trophies and medals?!!!! LOL

Too true, the guy has won F.A.
FYI SÓCcfc Rico was 180 minutes away from winning the double with a very tallented $hels side, but LOST to a relagated Droghada (I think) to throw away a 2 point final day lead to Pats and then lost the Cup to us. Am I right in saying that he won the Cup with Shels and thats it? Just think of a Kevin Keegan with out the flair.:eek:

Shed End John
03/10/2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Casegrande
Would he be available in February for a full-time job in Cork?
Or if we lose to Derry... could he start on Monday?

Remember the 1993/94 season? City had by far the best team in the country and Rico managed to guide us all the way...to 2nd place, finishing seven points behind Rovers. He had his chance, made a BALLS of it, next applicant please.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
03/10/2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Shed End John
Remember the 1993/94 season? City had by far the best team in the country and Rico managed to guide us all the way...to 2nd place, finishing seven points behind Rovers. He had his chance, made a BALLS of it, next applicant please.

Murphy Out Now!!!
some people are never happy :rolleyes: ;)

Shed End John
03/10/2002, 2:31 PM
I have EVERY right to be happy or otherwise whenever I like, Eanna. Fact is, and you can ask ANY City fan, Rico was incompetent AND Gunther is an idiot. Bring back Noel O'Mahony. At least we won the League with him in charge.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Colm
03/10/2002, 3:06 PM
I have EVERY right to be happy or otherwise whenever I like, Wow, fair play to ya!:rolleyes:

Shed End John
03/10/2002, 3:12 PM
Thanks very much, Colm. Good to know that despite all the evidence to the contrary we still live in a democracy!

Murphy Out Now!!!

pete
03/10/2002, 3:14 PM
Bring back Noel O'Mahony. At least we won the League with him in charge.

If Liam Murphys likes the hoof then you ain't seen nothing til Noel O'Mahonys teams take the field...

:eek:

Colm
03/10/2002, 3:18 PM
No, Noel O'Mahony or Dave Barry or any of the ex city players is most definitely not the way to go.
We need someone fresh that plays an attractive brand of football. Maybe someone like Don O'Riordan or Alan Matthews.

Shed End John
03/10/2002, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by pete

If Liam Murphys likes the hoof then you ain't seen nothing til Noel O'Mahonys teams take the field...

:eek:

I saw enough in the 1992/93 season, playoffs included, to know that City, with a forceful personality in charge, won the League on merit. Hoofing hardly entered the equation because we had two of the most skilled players EVER seen in this League in midfield, namely Dave Barry and Gerry McCabe. I'm not saying we should actually bring NO'M back, merely pointing out the type of manager we should have in charge.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Troy.McClure
03/10/2002, 7:03 PM
Originally posted by COLM
Alan Matthews.

Who?:confused:

The guy whos in charge of Waterford seems to be doing an ok job. (Is his mane Alan Matthews by any chance :o :confused: )

Colm
03/10/2002, 7:05 PM
Alan Matthews is the Longford manager and was assistant to Dermot Keely at Shels.

Éanna
04/10/2002, 9:30 AM
I have EVERY right to be happy or otherwise whenever I like, Eanna. Fact is, and you can ask ANY City fan, Rico was incompetent AND Gunther is an idiot. Bring back Noel O'Mahony. At least we won the League with him in charge.
It was a JOKE :rolleyes:

I'm not saying we should actually bring NO'M back
yes you were actually

Éanna
04/10/2002, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by COLM
Alan Matthews is the Longford manager and was assistant to Dermot Keely at Shels.
no jackeens at the city :mad: ;)
The guy at Waaaaaaterford is McGeough or McGough or something like that, he´s from Derry I think. He spent a good few years coaching in the States and moved back when he got the Waaaaaaaterford job- there was an interview with him in Ireland on Sunday a while back.

Colm
04/10/2002, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

no jackeens at the city :mad: ;)
better run Jimmy Mull outta town in that case.:)

The Donie Forde
04/10/2002, 3:11 PM
His name always comes up on this board. Anyone care to remind me what the Great DOR has won? Or his list of Premier Division clubs even? Just curious...

Donie

Éanna
04/10/2002, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde
His name always comes up on this board. Anyone care to remind me what the Great DOR has won? Or his list of Premier Division clubs even? Just curious...
Well keeping Galway in the Premier for as long as he did was an amazing achievement. And he´s doing good work with an extremely young squad at sligo right now. I have my doubts about him, but at least he´d be better than gunther.