PDA

View Full Version : de league...

niamh
01/07/2001, 8:05 PM
This is the time of the year when we notice how inferior our league...yes it is European football time. Over the last few weeks I think we've all touched on a range of relevent topics.

Why do countries who have a worse economy than us have a better football league than us?
Why doesn't City buy the Cross?
Why don't the FAI try and do anything about the league? Why do they never attend the games?
What will happen to the pay off the got from the government for not going ahead with Eircom Park? They have nothing to spend it on except the league but will the clubs see any of it? Long odds I'd think.

I for one went to the FAI Cup final (Longford & Bohs) and thought it was a great game. There are good games to be seen. Fair dues to Glen Crowe for being called into the Irish squad. The league can be entertaining and draw the crowds.
I'm sure you'll all remember the season before last when City won 10+ games on the trot at the start of the season and the crowds increased just because they were playing good football and winning.
I'm sure you'll remember that last day against Rovers when the ground was packed and when City were leading and some ejit said Pats were losing and the whole crowd started cheering.
Those are the days we'll remember as fans, along with the cup replay against UCD on Wednesday afternoon when the groung was so empty that you could here the players talking to each other or the Sunday we nearly drowned from the rain when City they played Sligo.

These are great experiences but so many people have prejudged the league without even seeing a game and knowing the potential. They are quite happy to sit and watch the Premiership and not experience football first hand and who is to blame?

the club? when have you ever seen the games advertised?
the FAI? when have we ever seen their support?
RTE? at least they have done their bit. They at least show some of the games, the produce the Soccer Show and they have the Eircom results first before the Premiership (usually).
us? do we not spread the word enough?

Now I'm finish my rant for the day
Opinions anyone?