PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Airport Metro route announced.

paul_oshea
19/10/2006, 12:43 PM
can someone tell me the EXACT route and stops, it said 15 stops on rte then on breakingnews.ie it said it was going from swords to the airport, through ballymun, phisboro and then st stephens green. I am not the best at maths but to me that is only 5 stations.

does anyone have a link or anything?

pete
19/10/2006, 12:52 PM
Dublin metro system to run via Ballymun and Phibsboro
19/10/2006 - 12:09:59

Minister for Transport Martin Cullen has announced the route chosen for the proposed metro line linking Dublin Airport with the city centre.

Three alternatives had been put forward as part of a public consultation process.

The chosen one will see the metro system run from Swords through Dublin Airport, via Ballymun and Phibsboro and on to St Stephen's Green.

Mr Cullen says the route will service 20,000 people every hour, with trains running every 90 seconds.

The total journey time will be 17 minutes.

The metro is expected to take around 40,000 cars off the streets of the city centre every day when it is operational in 2012.

BreakingNews (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/10/19/story281617.html)

Apparently supposed to cost 1.2bn. If it came in at that costs would be reasonable value considering costs in this country. Much better value than the Luas.

$Leon$
19/10/2006, 12:57 PM
Don't know if this is what you are looking for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Metro

Dodge
19/10/2006, 1:03 PM
Not having the airport as the Terminus is ridiculous IMO

paul_oshea
19/10/2006, 1:10 PM
again that is only the proposed i beleive, there is going to be a stop in phibsboro.

BohsPartisan
19/10/2006, 1:40 PM
Thats great news for us. Should be a stop near our new ground! (Probably at IKEA)
They should call it The Bohs Line!

Student Mullet
19/10/2006, 1:57 PM
Thats great news for us. Should be a stop near our new ground! (Probably at IKEA)
They should call it The Bohs Line!I was thinking that myself, Dalymount to Harristown in ten minutes, couldn't be better for you really.

BohsPartisan
19/10/2006, 2:03 PM
The route (http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/8316-0.pdf)

paul_oshea
19/10/2006, 2:15 PM
thats 14 plus 1 if parnell street is one. parnell street isnt going to be one? its a pity they couldn't get that guiness line out by phisboro open as a line then you could have a stop at drumcondra that would interchange with that line, have a stop at phibsboro, have a stop at that place with the big car sale where the road divides towards phibsboro and on down towards hanlons corner. from there who knows? link up with that old line out to maynooth!!! but that would be thinking out of the box, too much for our government!!!

brendy_éire
19/10/2006, 3:38 PM
Surely though, in time, the metro will be extended a fair bit?

BohsPartisan
19/10/2006, 3:53 PM
In time for the rapture.

pete
19/10/2006, 5:13 PM
The opposition have criticised the government for its construction estimates & i think they have a point this time. How could the FF/PDs claim will start in 2009 & finish in 2012 if they don't even know how much it will cost.

:eek:

The metro should be started from the city centre with terminal halfway so could at least open it when half finished.

Ash
20/10/2006, 8:24 AM
The metro was origionally promised to be ready by 2007!

BohsPartisan
20/10/2006, 8:43 AM
The metro was origionally promised to be ready by 2007!

Maybe they should call it the Retro.

crc
20/10/2006, 10:02 AM
Not having the airport as the Terminus is ridiculous IMO
Why? Should the people of Swords (30,000+ people) have to drive to the airport to get on the metro??
What would be ridiculous would be if they didn't just make it an extension of the Luas green line. Imagine if you had to get off the Luas and on to a seperate metro at Stephen's Green just to keep going in the same direction!

pete
20/10/2006, 10:35 AM
What would be ridiculous would be if they didn't just make it an extension of the Luas green line. Imagine if you had to get off the Luas and on to a seperate metro at Stephen's Green just to keep going in the same direction!

The Luas should never have been build - better to spend a bit more & take a bit longer to have proper green & red metro lines.

BohsPartisan
20/10/2006, 11:03 AM
What baffles me is that at the time the luas was proposed they produced all sorts of engineering reports to say going underground wasn't an option. Now they are saying we can have a metro. Was the luas a brown envelope job?

NY Hoop
20/10/2006, 11:35 AM
The Luas should never have been build - better to spend a bit more & take a bit longer to have proper green & red metro lines.

You have that the wrong way round. There should be Luas' all over the city. An underground in Dublin is a joke. How many years of the city being dug up just so eventually the underground will be full of junkies?:rolleyes:

KOH

BohsPartisan
20/10/2006, 11:40 AM
How many years of the city being dug up just so eventually the underground will be full of junkies?:rolleyes:

KOH

Its not going out to Inchicore is it? :D

pete
20/10/2006, 12:49 PM
...the underground will be full of junkies?:rolleyes:

Better than having them overground.

The most important economic policy of the next 10 years in this country is infrastruture. We are light years behind other countries & spending wisely & doing the jobs properly is an investment in this countries future.

The Metro only needs to be underground for say 2 mile radius of O'Connell Bridge.

NY Hoop
20/10/2006, 1:29 PM
How is it better than having it overground? Have you any idea of the amount of scum who will congregate down there? Ever taken the Luas or a tram in any other European cities? Far better.

Obviously huge cities need an underground but not Dublin.

KOH

BohsPartisan
20/10/2006, 1:43 PM
Yeah I've been on the tram system in Bordeaux and its great. Its the same as the LUAS but has three lines and they actually link up.

pete
20/10/2006, 3:34 PM
Obviously huge cities need an underground but not Dublin.

Was in Oslo recently & i think 5 lines of Metro in population of 500,000. Only the city centre section is underground. Trams are not good as they share too much road with other users & dublin has streets that are generally too narrow already. If they built a Luas line to the airport would be better off walking.

dfx-
21/10/2006, 9:15 PM
What's the point of shipping so many people every 90 seconds to the airport, when the airport isn't big enough to handle them when they get there?:confused:

BohsPartisan
22/10/2006, 12:34 AM
What's the point of shipping so many people every 90 seconds to the airport, when the airport isn't big enough to handle them when they get there?:confused:

They can wait it out in the 10,000 seater capacity wonder that will be new Dalymount.

pete
22/10/2006, 9:44 AM

I presume they mean 90 seconds at peak time. At least a metro can be ramped up to every 90 seconds as opposed to the Luas.

I'm still laughing at the proposed 3 year building time.