PDA

View Full Version : Drogs new Stadium

iceman
19/10/2006, 10:40 AM
From the todays Irish Indo

DROGHEDA UNITED are set to become Meath's first Eircom League club as they confirmed yesterday that their planned new stadium will be located in the Royal County.

The Boynesiders encountered problems with their initial venue of choice which was a 60-acre site just outside Drogheda, as the price of the land was increased beyond the initial valuation. And now the intended destination for their new 10,000 seater home is at a site on the Duleek Road near the M1 motorway.

However, the delays mean that Drogheda will definitely be playing their football at their current base at United Park next season.

Depending on planning permission they are now hoping to start building at the beginning of next year with the stadium ready to house senior football in 2008

BohsPartisan
19/10/2006, 10:48 AM
Interesting.

Dodge
19/10/2006, 10:52 AM
Hmmm. Am I the only one that thought Drogs were at a way more advanced stage than this. Dunno why but I thought they had start building already and now it seems they haven't even sought planning permission. Looks like soming is bluffing for delaney points....

Poor Student
19/10/2006, 10:54 AM
Hmmm. Am I the only one that thought Drogs were at a way more advanced stage than this. Dunno why but I thought they had start building already and now it seems they haven't even sought planning permission. Looks like soming is bluffing for delaney points....

There's only 6 clubs battling it out in any way for Premier places. UCD, Bray, Waterford, Shamrock Rovers, Galway and Dundalk. The rest are safe or doomed.

I thought they were even further behind than this. I thought another Drogs fan said they were looking for a third site as they were struggling to get planning permission.

iceman
19/10/2006, 11:06 AM
I thought another Drogs fan said they were looking for a third site as they were struggling to get planning permission.
This is the third site that has been looked at , and apparently contracts for the purchase of the land have now been signed. The other two locations fell through because of the soaring price of land.

seand
19/10/2006, 11:09 AM
Can I be the first to say...

One team in Louth
There's only one team in Louth!

Student Mullet
19/10/2006, 11:21 AM
Shels and Bohs are moving up near Co. Meath too. It'll make an M1 derby to rival the Dart Derby on the southside.

SRFC Head
19/10/2006, 11:52 AM
Maybe they should change their name to Boyne Utd or something, and they could be nicknamed The Valley'ers !

pete
19/10/2006, 12:27 PM
No more Louth derbys now.
I take at least 2 more seasons at United Park then? Given the way anything is built in this country i'd be surprised if in new stadium before 2010.

Jerry The Saint
19/10/2006, 12:44 PM
Can I be the first to say...

One team in Louth
There's only one team in Louth!

Good timing for Dundalk - this should be worth a few geographical bonus points.

holidaysong
19/10/2006, 2:40 PM
Can't wait to see them have to toss that "Pride of Co. Louth" flag on the rubbish heap... :D

Peadar
19/10/2006, 3:07 PM
Leinster will be fairly well represented in Irish football.
Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Longford, Westmeath, Louth, Kildare and now Meath.

endabob1
19/10/2006, 3:22 PM
Leinster will be fairly well represented in Irish football.
Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Longford, Westmeath, Louth, Kildare and now Meath.

Kildare Twice, surely they're not that good:D

brendy_éire
19/10/2006, 3:28 PM
Now we'll have to pay the M1 toll going to Drogheda. :(
How far away from Drogheda town is the Dunleek road?

ndrog
19/10/2006, 4:10 PM
How far away from Drogheda town is the Dunleek road?

Is about 5 min drive .The reason we couldnt build the ground on the louth side of town is because of louth county council who are based in Dundalk, and by all accounts messed things up .There will of course be Louth derbies because Drogheda is in Louth and always will be .The only thing thats changed is the location of our ground that moves into the part of Droghedas townlands which is expanding into meath .We are gonna be the pride of louth and meath :D

BohsPartisan
19/10/2006, 4:16 PM
Parkvilla are the pride of Meath!

:p

iceman
19/10/2006, 4:27 PM
The site is presently "technically" in Meath , but I would expect , given the population growth in the area , that the boundries will be redrawn sooner rather than later. As has been previously said its onlt a few mins walk from the town centre and the Drogs are and always will be "The Pride of Co.Louth"!
Incidentally a report in this weeks Drogheda Independent says that the FAI have told Drogs that 2007 will definately be their last season in United Park so I would expect the club to pull out all the stops to be in the new stadium for the 2008 season , otherwise we could be looking at a ground-share agreement for at least part of that season.

pete
19/10/2006, 5:22 PM
The site is presently "technically" in Meath , but I would expect , given the population growth in the area , that the boundries will be redrawn sooner rather than later.

You would want to be careful with such a land grab as next you'll have the locals rising up & will need a wall like the Israelis to keep them out.

New Meath-Louth border (http://midsouthpeace.org/webalbums/palestine/images/wall%20jerusalem1_jpg.jpg)

:D

NavanBohs
19/10/2006, 6:34 PM
Ah once we don't have any anti-Meath chanting when we played them I don't mind...

Interesting though, strange to think of an eL team from here...

BohsPartisan
20/10/2006, 8:56 AM
You would want to be careful with such a land grab as next you'll have the locals rising up & will need a wall like the Israelis to keep them out.

New Meath-Louth border (http://midsouthpeace.org/webalbums/palestine/images/wall%20jerusalem1_jpg.jpg)

:D

I'm going to start a Meath nationalist movement. Everything north of Clontarf was once ours you know. Right of return! :D

Bald Student
20/10/2006, 11:16 AM
How far away from Drogheda town is the Dunleek road?And we won't, another Dublin conspiracy?

Schumi
20/10/2006, 11:23 AM
And we won't, another Dublin conspiracy?We didn't on Saturday. I think we took the South Drogheda exit off the motorway. It's just an anti-Derry conspiracy.

Celdrog
20/10/2006, 11:33 AM
Can't wait to see them have to toss that "Pride of Co. Louth" flag on the rubbish heap... :D

We are loaning it to the Drogheda United ladies team (who play in Termonfeckin), until the boundaries are redrawn again.

pete
20/10/2006, 12:46 PM
Ye could get Pat Dolan is as manager & become the Royal Rabble :D

manic da hoop
20/10/2006, 1:13 PM

All Nordies should be made to pay a toll when they cross over the boarder to the south:D

Pablo
20/10/2006, 2:16 PM
is this Ireland first instence of Franchising? i.e. the Brooklyn Dodgers are now the LA dodgers!

Will a name change be on the cards? "Meath United"

Student Mullet
20/10/2006, 2:27 PM
is this Ireland first instence of Franchising?Have you forgotten Dublin City already?

Pablo
20/10/2006, 2:34 PM
Have you forgotten Dublin City already?

why, yes.

Dodge
20/10/2006, 6:18 PM
is this Ireland first instence of Franchising? i.e. the Brooklyn Dodgers are now the LA dodgers!

Your own Cork City is nothing but a franchise