PDA

View Full Version : Best Passer of the ball?

lofty9
17/10/2006, 11:33 AM
Who at your club is the best passer of the ball, if any?

At Derry without a shadow of a doubt - Ruirdhi Higgins.

This is prompted on a discussion between my good self and a mate regarding the lack of ballplayers in the league.

Up The Town
17/10/2006, 11:43 AM
I would have to say at Dundalk it would be Sean Finn great control and passing is sublime. Hopefully he can do it friday night for us.:)

el punter
17/10/2006, 11:50 AM

That was a superb ball by Beckett in to Farren against Longford, he can't be much behind Higgins?

Dodge
17/10/2006, 12:15 PM
At Pats it's Mick Foley IMO

Risteard
17/10/2006, 12:25 PM
As far as City are concerned, definitely Neale Fenn.
Always looking to pick out a killer pass . . . . . to a frustrating level in fact.
Anytime, he's scored it's cos there's someone wearing a City jersey behind the net.
Great to watch though.

Celdrog
17/10/2006, 1:50 PM
At the Drogs at the moment its Paul Keegan - for such a young guy he knows how to read a game and pick out a pass

The Stars
17/10/2006, 2:19 PM
Liam Burns,although it hard to call.

Shedzer
17/10/2006, 2:26 PM
Liam Burns,although it hard to call.

he rarely misplaces it...but he hardly splits defences now does he?

Shedzer
17/10/2006, 2:26 PM
probably Foy

garyderry
17/10/2006, 2:35 PM

This is prompted on a discussion between my good self and a mate regarding the lack of ballplayers in the league.

What about Gary Beckett, holds the ball up and always finds his man, some great through balls on saturday night, to tear longford to shreds.
What about kevin Deery, Barry Molloy, if Ruiri was the best passer of the ball in a team built on passing ability why is he not first choice?

green army
17/10/2006, 3:03 PM
michael foley at pats

BrayUnknowns
17/10/2006, 3:16 PM
I don't think we have any players capable of passing this season ! But when on form Paul Caffery is one of our better passers, Franco would be up there too....

DmanDmythDledge
17/10/2006, 3:20 PM
Gary Dicker at UCD.

lofty9
17/10/2006, 3:32 PM
What about Gary Beckett, holds the ball up and always finds his man, some great through balls on saturday night, to tear longford to shreds.
What about kevin Deery, Barry Molloy, if Ruiri was the best passer of the ball in a team built on passing ability why is he not first choice?

Why is he not first choice?

Ask SK. I couldn't care less who is playing.

Team built on passing?

Higgins lacks the mobility of Martyn and the tackling of Molloy. He still remains the best passing player we have got though.

Gary Beckett had his best game in a Derry shirt in a long time on Saturday night, but as a striker his game is not all passing as he would rarely see the ball in some away games. However, I believe Ruiadhri's range of passing surpasses that of any player in the team. Did you not see the range of passes he played last week against Drogheda when he came on? They were fantastic.

Anyway, I was only looking to find out what other players I could look out for in the EL who could cut open defences as I'll be looking out for those guys when Derry play them.

monzo
17/10/2006, 3:48 PM
Not sure who could claim it for Harps... Minno is brilliant at the aul through balls at times but I'd give it to Luca for his sheer precision when passing - I remember in 2004 when he was right back the amount of great through balls for the forward to rush on to - twas fantastic. Funston and Gethins are also really good.

John83
17/10/2006, 4:19 PM
...Neale Fenn... Anytime, he's scored it's cos there's someone wearing a City jersey behind the net.
He must really struggle for goals when Cork have lost a few. :p

Tough one for UCD. Dicker's a good passer, but doesn't always release it early enough. Alan McNally doesn't give it away much, but I guess the question was aimed more at creative passers than consistant ones.

sonofstan
17/10/2006, 4:21 PM
He must really struggle for goals when Cork have lost a few. :p

or are playing into the shed at the x -

for Bohs, still Kevin Hunt

harpskid
17/10/2006, 6:43 PM
At Harps - probably Michael Funston. Luca's distribution this year has been brutal Monzo

Poor Student
17/10/2006, 6:45 PM
Tough one for UCD. Dicker's a good passer, but doesn't always release it early enough. Alan McNally doesn't give it away much, but I guess the question was aimed more at creative passers than consistant ones.

Dicker isn't that great a passer imo. Certainly the most incisive and creative passer is Ronan Finn.

LeixlipRed
17/10/2006, 8:21 PM
The most consistent good passer at Shels would probably be Dillo. He can spray it left and right. Ndo on his day can pick out a pass. And of course, Moore, when he plays has a good eye for a pass. Glen Crowe over short distances is rarely off with a pass as well

Dr.Nightdub
17/10/2006, 9:26 PM
Agree with Mick Foley at Pats, very few of his go astray. Would far rather a short ball that finds its target than the six off-target 50-yard spectaculars you have to endure from Fahy before the one that goes to a Pats player.

eamo1
17/10/2006, 9:52 PM
hes had a bad injury over the past year or 2 but on his day he can control a game from the centre circle,like alonso at liverpool.a guy we use to also have here was aubrey dolan,sligo fans might remember him too,he was also a great passer.

monzo
17/10/2006, 10:29 PM
At Harps - probably Michael Funston. Luca's distribution this year has been brutal Monzo

I know - I said it was good in '04. ;)

God knows how I forgot Mickey...

Raheny Red
18/10/2006, 10:28 AM
The most consistent good passer at Shels would probably be Dillo. He can spray it left and right. Ndo on his day can pick out a pass. And of course, Moore, when he plays has a good eye for a pass. Glen Crowe over short distances is rarely off with a pass as well

Agree 100% about Dildo.

centre mid
18/10/2006, 10:29 AM
Skippy :D

Pablo
18/10/2006, 10:44 AM
Fenn-while he's still here that is........

ciaraa
18/10/2006, 11:05 AM
At the Drogs at the moment its Paul Keegan - for such a young guy he knows how to read a game and pick out a pass

I would have said Sami (when he plays that is!)

John83
18/10/2006, 12:20 PM
Dicker isn't that great a passer imo. Certainly the most incisive and creative passer is Ronan Finn.
Dunno about that - he's very good running with the ball, and certainly has an eye for a good pass but I think Dicker's a bit better at making the pass right now. Definately will be Finn in the near future though, yes.

Jofspring
18/10/2006, 12:52 PM
safe to say we don't have any great passers of the ball, finding it hard to think of any.

bluemovie
18/10/2006, 12:52 PM
For the glory balls, it'd be James Chambers. He usually pulls out a couple of absolute beauties every game. Alan Cawley is probably the most creative.

I'd pick Rennie as the best passer at the club. His passing accuracy rate (if we had Opta Stats) must be over 90%. Generally, just short passes to keep the flow of the game going, but he can play some great through-balls too. Recent examples would be the one he slipped to McCarthy for our goal against Bohs and an inch-perfect left-footer over his shoulder in the away win in Pats.

monutdfc
18/10/2006, 1:25 PM
safe to say we don't have any great passers of the ball, finding it hard to think of any.
Surely John Lester....he was a great passer with us anyway
(passes on training quite a bit too though by the looks of him)

joeSoap
18/10/2006, 1:31 PM
Johnny Lester. Derek McCarthy is a super player to lay off the ball also.

dcfc_dee
19/10/2006, 8:52 AM
would have to say ruari higgins or kevin deery

sadloserkid
19/10/2006, 8:03 PM
John Lestor is not only the best passer of a ball in Limerick but I genuinely think he's better than anybody in the division. Naturally I'll be surprised if he's at the club next season.

BobtheDrog
20/10/2006, 5:43 AM
Sami's easily the best passer of the ball at drogheda but doesn't really get his game.