PDA

View Full Version : Division 1 Team of the season

JC_GUFC
17/10/2006, 10:41 AM
Getting towards that time of the year so what do those in the know think is the Division 1 team of the season?

1. Murphy (Rovers)
2. O'Brien (Rovers)
3. Lynch (Dundalk)
4. Price (Rovers)
5. Clery (United)
6. Finn (Dundalk)
7. Cretaro (United)
8. Lester (Limerick)
9. Hughes (Dundalk)
10. Gethins (Harps/United)
11. Cooling (Kildare)

Any thoughts?

oriel
17/10/2006, 12:27 PM
Looks a good side, I`d say it would be close between Ger Rowe/Gethins to partner Hughes, I was going to say i`d prob go with Rowe but he hasn`t scored near enough. Also Lynch hasn't played enough games for us, he missed the first 2 mths, good player though.

This team would challenge the top 4 in the premier, how much would the other 8 cost ?

Kildare Lad
17/10/2006, 12:28 PM
I couldnt really say a full team but id expect Phily Hughes (Dundalk), Cretaro (Galway), O'Brien (Rovers) and our own Stephen Cooling to be in the team of the season.

Strabane_Harp
17/10/2006, 2:10 PM
Gethins would be a def choice for me, even missing through injury and still among the top scorers.

Be great to have him back at Harps next season :)

Conor H
17/10/2006, 2:14 PM
Gethins would be a def choice for me, even missing through injury and still among the top scorers.

Be great to have him back at Harps next season :)

I reckon he'll stay here unless you know for an absoloute fact that he's going back.

joeSoap
17/10/2006, 2:15 PM
Tommy Barrett and Pat Purcell, as well as Johnny Lester would be Limericks three most likely.

KildareFan
17/10/2006, 2:49 PM
[QUOTE=oriel;557499]Looks a good side, I`d say it would be close between Ger Rowe/Gethins to partner Hughes, I was going to say i`d prob go with Rowe but he hasn`t scored near enough. Also Lynch hasn't played enough games for us, he missed the first 2 mths, good player though.

QUOTE]

Rowe only came into the division on almost the last day of the transfer window. How could he be considered for a team of the season. Surely there have been better strikers over the course of the season?

Murphy at galway? Tadhg Purcell has done well when he has had a chance, Walsh at Finn Harps has been good when fit

monzo
17/10/2006, 4:00 PM
Shane Bradley as one of the centre halves should be a certainty.

Strabane_Harp
17/10/2006, 5:45 PM
I reckon he'll stay here unless you know for an absoloute fact that he's going back.

Unless Galway wish to pay us a substantial sum he will be back at Finn Park.

He is a very valued member of our squad and was only allowed to leave on a temporary basis.

dfx-
17/10/2006, 5:57 PM
I definitely wouldn't have Price in there. Ray Kenny for me has been the best player for Rovers so far this season..would even be there in ahead of Murphy.

hoopy
17/10/2006, 6:06 PM
Wouldn't have Price in either myself. Ger O'brien, Robbie Clarke, Barry Murphy I'd definately have in, while Rowe has been as good as anyone during the period he has played. From other sides I've particularly liked Galway's Clery and Limerick's Lester, when he's not man marked by Vinny Perth;)

alabama rover
18/10/2006, 6:13 AM
[QUOTE=oriel;557499]Looks a good side, I`d say it would be close between Ger Rowe/Gethins to partner Hughes, I was going to say i`d prob go with Rowe but he hasn`t scored near enough. Also Lynch hasn't played enough games for us, he missed the first 2 mths, good player though.

QUOTE]

Rowe only came into the division on almost the last day of the transfer window. How could he be considered for a team of the season. Surely there have been better strikers over the course of the season?

Murphy at galway? Tadhg Purcell has done well when he has had a chance, Walsh at Finn Harps has been good when fit

Your point about Rowe's short tenure is well taken.... but Rowe is a way more accomplished striker than Purcell!...however, just when he has been hittong his top form he has sustained an injury that will keep him out for 6 weeks. This will cost him the player of the year award at Rovers imo!

KOH

gufct
19/10/2006, 8:37 AM
goughie has been in suberb form this year so id say him Billy,Raf,Wes,Frannie & Gethins from united would have to be in the shake up.

Strabane_Harp
19/10/2006, 10:04 AM
If Gethins gets in its credit to Harps not GUFC

harpskid
19/10/2006, 10:46 AM
Unless Galway wish to pay us a substantial sum he will be back at Finn Park.

Bet ye he'll naw ;)

Galwayexile
19/10/2006, 2:19 PM
harps cannot afford gethins, he came to galway for a reason and next season hopefully we will be in the premier league.

harpskid
19/10/2006, 2:25 PM
harps cannot afford gethins.

Not at the moment, but we would be able to next season...:rolleyes:

Strabane_Harp
19/10/2006, 2:54 PM
harps cannot afford gethins, he came to galway for a reason and next season hopefully we will be in the premier league.

If stories about your current wage bill are true neither can galway!

If the FAI dont select you for the premier league your up a lovely creek without a certain sailing instrument

Conor H
19/10/2006, 5:40 PM
If stories about your current wage bill are true neither can galway!

If the FAI dont select you for the premier league your up a lovely creek without a certain sailing instrument

Bit of jealousy?
Those "stories":rolleyes: are not true whatever they are.Just cause some clubs have spent alot to go up and then struggled in the Premier followed by crippling costs doesn't mean we will.

Mr A
19/10/2006, 7:17 PM
So how could Galway be making statements about a player belonging to FHFC staying with them unless Gethins has been tapped up? Anyway, we have two more Gethins's at least were he came from!

And the stories about Galway's spending come from a director of your club.

sadloserkid
19/10/2006, 8:15 PM
Those "stories":rolleyes: are not true whatever they are.

How can you say that if you don't know what the stories are? :confused:

Strabane_Harp
20/10/2006, 7:45 AM
How can you say that if you don't know what the stories are? :confused:

its called living in blissful ignorance.

if the gamble pays off well and good, but as many clubs have shown, such a gamble is dangerous

Terry
20/10/2006, 7:51 AM
So how could Galway be making statements about a player belonging to FHFC staying with them unless Gethins has been tapped up? .

Because we are supporters, There is nothing official about Gethins staying but something that the supporters would like to see. Just because someone here says something doesnt mean it came officially from the club !!:rolleyes:

gufct
20/10/2006, 8:36 AM
I think it will be down to Conor where he plays next year galway harp.

Mr A
20/10/2006, 9:13 AM
I think he's got a contract, so FHFC have a bit of a say as well!

gufct
20/10/2006, 9:17 AM
You had a go at C.H for thinking has he or hasnt he?

Strabane_Harp
20/10/2006, 9:59 AM
Gethins is under contract until next december, so if Galway can agree a fee for Gethins all well and good.

But we are not in the business of selling players under value, we could have sold McHugh years ago.

Better for the Club he stays and plays a good part in our return to the premier