PDA

View Full Version : Baseball World Series of America

Bluebeard
17/10/2006, 9:35 AM
Wildcards Detroit have made it to the World Series for the first time since winning it in 1984. Mets and Cardinals are tied with the final place being decided at latest on Friday morning, with the World Series starting Saturday night. Anyone else looking forward to it?

I presume Setanta will be covering some of it via NASN?

Aberdonian Stu
17/10/2006, 10:32 AM
Maybe on NASN but I looked ahead in the schedules for regular Setanta and it doesn't appear to be showing it live, only delayed coverage.

DmanDmythDledge
17/10/2006, 3:26 PM
It's definitely on NASN live.

eamo1
17/10/2006, 10:46 PM
and i see the fans going to the games anytime im over there but havent been to a game yet.the mets should come through but it will be an all mighty tussell with the dodgers,cant wait,the 2 best teams and not the 2 luckiest as its been on other occassions.i hope its on setanta,ive just got normal steanta which always shows canadian teams on that canadian channell whicj comes on at midnight,nasn

carrickharp
18/10/2006, 7:17 AM
the mets should come through but it will be an all mighty tussell with the dodgers:confused: They are 3-2 down to St. Louis Cardinals'!!

eamo1
18/10/2006, 10:05 PM
i said they SHOULD come through,the cardinals are a better team then ppl give them credit for but mets will still turn it around i feel

crc
18/10/2006, 10:21 PM
I've stayed up a good few nights now watching the Divisional Series and the Championship series. Was very happy to see the Yankees get put out by Detroit early on (though a Subway World Series would have been interesting).
I've only been watching baseball in any serious way for two years but earlier this year I started playing, and its quickly becoming one of my top three sports (footie and rugby the others).

I hope the Mets get through to the WS. They're 3-2 down but the remaining games are at Shea. I'm not sure why I want them to do well but it might be because they have a couple of speedsters who love stealing bases (IIRC Reyes, Delgado ??). I don't know many of the players by name (esp. outside the Yankees/Red Sox axis), but one guy that caught my eye is Pudge Rodriguez, the catcher for the Tigers (what an arm!). I'd like to see those Mets guys try to steal bases against him!

BTW - all the games are on NASN (great channel, I think I watch it more than the main Setanta one now)

Clifford
18/10/2006, 11:42 PM
i said they SHOULD come through,the cardinals are a better team then ppl give them credit for but mets will still turn it around i feel

I think the thing is you said the Dodgers, the Tigers are in the WS awaiting the winners of Met's/Card's.

For what it's worth I would not mind who wins a final between the Met's and Tiger's if it comes about. One put out the plankees and one is their City rival so no lose situation for us BoSox.

Nothing against the Cards at all, after last year it would be fitting if they hold it together this time.

crc
19/10/2006, 12:11 AM
i hope its on setanta,ive just got normal steanta which always shows canadian teams on that canadian channell whicj comes on at midnight,nasn
Sorry, I didn't read this properly when I posted about NASN. Just took a look through the EPG for the next week, and NASN Extra on Setanta will not be showing any of the WS (I can only check up to game 4, but if they're not showing that I don't imagine they'll show a potential 5, 6, or 7.)

crc
19/10/2006, 12:27 AM
I realise its not the same thing but the game-cast at ESPN is pretty cool. It's a blow-by-blow animation of what's happening. Follow the link and click game-cast under the team names:

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/scoreboard

Sheridan
19/10/2006, 2:16 AM
No real interest in baseball, but watching out of curiosity on Asian ESPN (readily accessible via TVAnts or another P2P media player.)

Dodge
19/10/2006, 6:39 AM
No real interest in baseball, but watching out of curiosity on Asian ESPN (readily accessible via TVAnts or another P2P media player.)

They use the MLB commentators, if you want to watch it with the Fox commentators (as America will), its available on http://www.viidoo.com/en/index.php (My favourite P2P player)

carrickharp
19/10/2006, 11:44 AM
St. Louis vs NY Mets - NLCS Game 7 (3-3) @ 1.00am NASN tonight hard to call this one will home advantage help the Met go through to the final??

Clifford
19/10/2006, 10:57 PM
I'll go with the Mets to win cos of the home advantage, they seemed to be getting hot last night with the bat. Will be a belter though. Am going to try and catch 3/4 inning.

crc
20/10/2006, 2:06 AM
Did anyone see Chavez save that home run in the 6th inning? Unbelievable! Could be a game winning catch!

Sheridan
20/10/2006, 2:17 AM
Can't find a live stream tonight, oh well.

carrickharp
20/10/2006, 7:04 AM
2006 World Series fixtures:

1. Sat, Oct 21 – at Detroit, 8:05 pm EDT
2. Sun, Oct 22 – at Detroit, 8:05 pm EDT
3. Tue, Oct 24 – at St. Louis, 8:05 pm EDT
4. Wed, Oct 25 – at St. Louis, 8:05 pm EDT
5.* Thu, Oct 26 – at St. Louis, 8:05 pm EDT
6.* Sat, Oct 28 – at Detroit, 8:05 pm EDT
7.* Sun, Oct 29 – at Detroit, 8:05 pm EST

* - If necessary

Aberdonian Stu
20/10/2006, 11:40 AM
I just hope it goes more than 4 games and less than 7. I've work the morning after game 4 that I need to be conscious for and the marathon is the morning after game 7 so I don't want to be wrecked before I start that.

SaucyJack
20/10/2006, 12:27 PM
Did anyone see Chavez save that home run in the 6th inning? Unbelievable! Could be a game winning catch!

wonder catch and a double play to boot, probably the best I've seen in post season, still my Mets lost, they're line-up didn't come alive, good outing by Oliver Perez though, 6 innings, one run, this from the pitcher with the worst record ever to start a pennant play-off.....go Tigers....

CollegeTillIDie
21/10/2006, 8:16 AM
Well apart from the anchronism of having a domestic championship called the World Series , the standard of play has been very good from what I have seen of it so far.

Given that New York and London play in the GAA All-Ireland Series, the GAA should consider rebranding it's championships the World Series too.:D

Bluebeard
21/10/2006, 12:41 PM
Only got ordinary Setanta, so bleerin' American Football and NHL only this week. Arse. Anyone know a site with highlights that DOES NOT tell you the result of the game before you access it?

Bluebeard
25/10/2006, 11:24 AM
Cardinals leading detroit 2-1 ni the series at the mo.

Stuttgart88
26/10/2006, 7:01 AM
Well apart from the anchronism of having a domestic championship called the World Series Somebody told me once that it was actually named after a newspaper (e.g., Wisconsin World) which suggested an end of season "settler" between the best teams in the two conferences.

Something like that anyway. Probably a pure spoof but that's what I was told!

carrickharp
26/10/2006, 7:28 AM
Somebody told me once that it was actually named after a newspaper (e.g., Wisconsin World)

Ture not sure of the story(or the newspaper) I read it in a book about the history of baceball I have at home.

Stuttgart88
27/10/2006, 7:48 AM
From Wikipedia:

The explanation is that when the term "World's Championship Series" was first used in the 1880s, baseball was almost exclusively confined to North America, especially at a highly skilled (and paid) level. Thus it was a "given" that the winner of the major league championship was also the "world champion". The title of this event was soon shortened to "World's Series" and later to "World Series".

A recent myth has arisen that the "World" in "World Series" came about because the New York World newspaper sponsored it. There is no evidence supporting that hypothesis.

So disregard what I said above :)

Clifford
27/10/2006, 10:13 AM
Well it has all been live on NASA, superb coverage, best thing that has happened them being joined to Setanta.

Cards looking strong.

Aberdonian Stu
27/10/2006, 1:09 PM
I don't really care who wins but I think a lot of hacks will have to apologise should the Cards win as most rated them as the weakest team in NL playoffs when it came to ability to compete in postseason play (as in best-of-5 and best-of-7 series).

Bluebeard
29/10/2006, 10:55 AM
'Cards win it 4-2.