PDA

View Full Version : The 12th man

Pages : [1] 2

Fivesilver
16/10/2006, 3:21 PM
Okay, I think we're all in general agreement that our best chance of winning the semi largely depends on our being at home.

Rovers' 12th man have a responsibility to make sure that counts.
It seems it's going to be about 3:1 Rovers to Derry fans.
We all know Derry have large, colourful and noisy support. We also know away fans tend to make more noise.

A few suggestions
- Drums: Anyone got access to one? Wildrover, any chance of the bodhran being resurrected?
- Horns: Where do you get air-horns nowadays? After a couple of unsuccessful efforts, I've got hold of a bugle in working order, and could get another this week.
- Treacy Avenue stand: Takes up one entire side of the ground, and is usually like a morgue. We need a group of hardcore in there to wake them up. Half a dozen ought to do it. Once they got cheering during the final game last season, they seemed to realise that they enjoyed it.
- Colours: I don't know about in Sligo at the moment, but where I am, you can get 2ft x 3ft red & white flags for 2 euro apiece. If we can get a few people to throw in a tenner each, we can supply a fair few.
- Here's another idea (http://cgi.ebay.ie/MEGAPHONE-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ320038493314QQihZ011QQcategoryZ112675 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) :D

So are we going to make it a day to remember? Or are we going to be back on here on the Sunday night whingeing about the atmosphere?

Midgit
16/10/2006, 3:37 PM
If those hardcore fans would only come 2 the shed and resurect what the shed was like years back!
it used 2 be the 12th man every home game but now very few people go to it and its losing its reputation!
dont bother going 2 the Jinks avenue stand as we need to restore the atmosphere in the shed!!!!!

Red&White Rover
16/10/2006, 3:38 PM
i agree with 5S, we've got to make this match a battle against 12 men for derry...make it as intimidating as possibble!

The Stars
16/10/2006, 4:20 PM
There should be 2 bodhrans there,Matty should have the drum fixed,now if only we can get our hands on the trust drum.
Anyone in the trust on this forum,or can anyone contact them and ask them for it...il see what i can do.With the shed now back to its full state,ie the gates are gone,well almost,we should pack the shed.

Rory H
16/10/2006, 4:22 PM
as fans we have a massive job on the 29th..we have to outsing derry fans

ill have the badhron..so will deecay...balloons....flags will be made...party poppers...fireworks[dont tell olly;) ].....anything that makes noise in general[mary harney?]...its our mission to create the greatest atmosphere the showgrounds has seen this century

no point talking about it yet though...first up is a little preview tomorrow....lets go practice outsinging derry...this is what we wanted for so many years...going to the best team in the country and barely giving it a thought!because we have come so far..lets go celebrate that tomorrow...get your singing voices ready lads!

Jeebus
16/10/2006, 4:24 PM
The Dublin Supporters Club can test the Bog Roll situation down in Cork !

Im off to buy the 24 pack from Tesco:)

Fivesilver
16/10/2006, 4:30 PM
If those hardcore fans would only come 2 the shed and resurect what the shed was like years back!
it used 2 be the 12th man every home game but now very few people go to it and its losing its reputation!
dont bother going 2 the Jinks avenue stand as we need to restore the atmosphere in the shed!!!!!

Most of my best nights in the Showgrounds were in the Shed. I'd love it to be the force it was. It's difficult, though, as a big chunk of it is closed, and the teams don't enter and exit under it anymore.
It could still be a great intimidator of opposing teams having to defend it, but I think it would have to be restored to its old size, and also, the goals at that end could be moved back a few yards closer to the Shed.

Having said that, though, it shouldn't be a case of "The Shed or nothing". The ideal situation would be to have the whole ground going. There's been a decent buzz in the Jinks, which is great.
Why is it, though, that people seem to think the Treacy Avenue stand is somewhere to go and quietly observe the game? It's the biggest single chunk of the ground, so it has massive potential.
As I was saying, we need to get a group to wake up that stand.

Okay, we've had bog rolls added to the list of suggestions. Anyone have any more ideas? And I mean stuff that you will actually take action on in the next week or so (noisemakers, colours, ways of bringing the already-present-but-subdued fans to life).

Another idea: How about liaising with the club to get someone with a megaphone on the pitch with Benny half an hour before kickoff to whip things up (something more manic than just "Let's have a big round of applause"). The crowds will be in early for the semi. I'd do it myself if nobody else would. :)

Rory H
16/10/2006, 4:38 PM
Most of my best nights in the Showgrounds were in the Shed. I'd love it to be the force it was. It's difficult, though, as a big chunk of it is closed, and the teams don't enter and exit under it anymore.
It could still be a great intimidator of opposing teams having to defend it, but I think it would have to be restored to its old size, and also, the goals at that end could be moved back a few yards closer to the Shed.

Having said that, though, it shouldn't be a case of "The Shed or nothing". The ideal situation would be to have the whole ground going. There's been a decent buzz in the Jinks, which is great.
Why is it, though, that people seem to think the Treacy Avenue stand is somewhere to go and quietly observe the game? It's the biggest single chunk of the ground, so it has massive potential.
As I was saying, we need to get a group to wake up that stand.

Okay, we've had bog rolls added to the list of suggestions. Anyone have any more ideas? And I mean stuff that you will actually take action on in the next week or so (noisemakers, colours, ways of bringing the already-present-but-subdued fans to life).

Another idea: How about liaising with the club to get someone with a megaphone on the pitch with Benny half an hour before kickoff to whip things up (something more manic than just "Let's have a big round of applause"). The crowds will be in early for the semi. I'd do it myself if nobody else would. :)

im liking your thinking

seeing that derry will have the blue stand[ya?] the main stand needs to be turned into the loudest part of the ground

i see all the people there and ...well it isnt a ****ing library....we can create an atmosphere there..and we can create an atmosphere to silence derry....its about time our fans went premier division:p

Midgit
16/10/2006, 5:28 PM
[QUOTE=Fivesilver;556911]Most of my best nights in the Showgrounds were in the Shed. I'd love it to be the force it was. It's difficult, though, as a big chunk of it is closed, and the teams don't enter and exit under it anymore.

Were you at the Waterford game? The shed is back to nearly full size!!!
And there is plans to bring back the old changing rooms and the tunnel!!!!!:)

Fivesilver
16/10/2006, 7:32 PM
Were you at the Waterford game? The shed is back to nearly full size!!!
And there is plans to bring back the old changing rooms and the tunnel!!!!!:)

Good news. I was up for the Killester game, but can't get to Sligo much these days, being too far away and working weekends.
Getting the dressingrooms back there would be good. I also had a good look last time I was up, and I definitely reckon the goals couldbe moved closer to the Shed.
Still, back to my original point - let's do everything we can to get the whole ground (or as much of it as possible) buzzing.

Red&White Rover
16/10/2006, 8:15 PM
There should be 2 bodhrans there,Matty should have the drum fixed,now if only we can get our hands on the trust drum.
Anyone in the trust on this forum,or can anyone contact them and ask them for it...il see what i can do.With the shed now back to its full state,ie the gates are gone,well almost,we should pack the shed.
agreed. imagine a full shed for it...it'd be unreal.

red arrow
16/10/2006, 9:23 PM
shed is back to full size great. we need to pack it out. the new stand needs loads of noise comming from it but if yee want seats yee will have to take up positions early or the rip van winkle crowd will get in first therefore yee will have to sacrifice the few pints before the game. people are going to start comming into the ground at 1.30. yes 1.30 so if yee want to take over the new stand have a plan of action because if yee do it could mean the difference between winning and losing. also lets show the country ( live audience) what we are made of. i will be helping at the match but the advise i give to yee is invaluable. yee have one shot at it. when the players come out of the tunnel and they here a massive roar it will lift them. its up to yee to make history. yee can sing and shout without being abusive. get the old songs out. let the rip van winkle crowd stand up outside for a change ( it could also be raining) yee have one glorious oppurtunity go for it lads and the final beckons!

The Stars
16/10/2006, 10:02 PM
People should bring everything they have to add to the atmosphere and colour....from Jerseys,no matter how old,scarfs,hats,flags,balloons,party poppers(or fireworks for the more up market folks)....AND of course drums and bodhrans.air horns and the old rattlers also.

SligoBrewer
17/10/2006, 8:40 AM
People should bring everything they have to add to the atmosphere and colour....from Jerseys,no matter how old,scarfs,hats,flags,balloons,party poppers(or fireworks for the more up market folks)....AND of course drums and bodhrans.air horns and the old rattlers also.

F-ck it lads, we've got one chance to win a trpophy this season, We might as well do our part. :) I'll be making a flag. Get eveyone who's going to wear red, even if its not a jersey c'mon!

Rory H
17/10/2006, 9:04 AM
we can make a difference.....no doubt about it

akearins
17/10/2006, 3:03 PM
I have the trust drum but the skin is gone on it so not great sound from it.

SRFC Head
17/10/2006, 3:16 PM
We all know home support can usually be outsung by a crowd 1/5th is size, so we need to instill some passion into the home support.

I think the club could help by providing prematch music, motd theme etc played out, however the speakers are of poor quality.

Any way the trust could swing something here?

Fivesilver
17/10/2006, 9:36 PM
Okay, we've just seen what happened to Rovers against Dery with 11 v 11. All the more reason we have to make sure our 12th man has a blinder in the semi.

@Rogue Trader: Check your messages.

avvenalaf
17/10/2006, 10:01 PM
Oh, and could you all bring your boots with ye. After tonight there is every chance you might get a game.

feo123
21/10/2006, 8:50 PM
Word on the street is matty wont be at the derry game because ollie davey offended him at the watreford game

The Stars
21/10/2006, 11:06 PM
Matty is supposedly banned until he appoligises....

Conor H
21/10/2006, 11:11 PM
Word on the street is matty wont be at the derry game because ollie davey offended him at the watreford game

Do any of ye actually like that tosser?Seriously?
I mean i can only go on what i know.But
1-He punched 2 Galway fans(actually he might earn a bonus point with yee on that!:p )
2-Didn't he lose a Bohs fans bag in yere 1st home game?
3-I know he stopped some Sligo fan on this forum before cause he saw him with a bottle of beer down the road.
4-Now he bars one of yere own for what?

The man sounds like a Grade A spanner to me.Do yee like him?

The Stars
22/10/2006, 9:07 AM
No,we dont like him.....

Fivesilver
22/10/2006, 12:13 PM
Anyway, moving swiftly on . . .
Would it be safe to assume that our marketing manager has arranged to have plenty of Cup semi-final related stuff on Ocean fm, MWR, Benny the Bull prancing around the shopping centres all week, just simple things encouraging anyone going to the game to make loads of noise.

roversforever
22/10/2006, 4:44 PM

or because he's banned more to the point.he completely deserves it.i don't particularly like ollie davey either but the way he spoke to him was out of order.he had to ban him,you couldn't let anybody away with that.

feo123
22/10/2006, 6:42 PM
what did he say?

Midgit
23/10/2006, 9:25 AM
Back to the piont lads! 12th man!
im bringing a new bahran to the match

Rory H
23/10/2006, 9:31 AM
how original:)

ah no thats good

im saving up to upgrade to some sort of drum now...i feel the badhron has had its time now and i need something better

dont think ill bring the badhron sunday...with derrys vast army of drums it wont be much use

Midgit
23/10/2006, 10:35 AM
how original:)

ah no thats good

im saving up to upgrade to some sort of drum now...i feel the badhron has had its time now and i need something better

dont think ill bring the badhron sunday...with derrys vast army of drums it wont be much use

I suppose,i might not bring it now!!

SRFC Head
23/10/2006, 10:52 AM
Where could one purchase the gas horns?

Bravo
23/10/2006, 12:01 PM
Where could one purchase the gas horns?

Ya can get them in the record room & the Car shop in the new shopping centre

SRFC Head
23/10/2006, 12:08 PM
Back on Topic....

Maybe we should have a map of the ground and try to get people into different areas to orchorstrate the atmosphere...

Maybe a bunch that usually sit in the blue stand try to take an area behind the dugouts. The shed heads to stay in the shed. etc..

Fivesilver
23/10/2006, 1:24 PM
Back on Topic....

Maybe we should have a map of the ground and try to get people into different areas to orchorstrate the atmosphere...

Maybe a bunch that usually sit in the blue stand try to take an area behind the dugouts. The shed heads to stay in the shed. etc..

Now you're talking - this is what I've been trying to say. I don't think a map is that necessary, though.
We know the Shed will be in good voice. That means we need to sort out the railway terrace and the Treacy Avenue stand. The noisy blue stand crowd are being evicted for the Derry fans - where will they go?
With the railway terrace being all standing-room, I'd imagine a lot of the more boisterous fans will go there (although god help them if it lashes rain).

I still think the big issue is the TA stand. It's the largest block of home fans, but doesn't usually have much of an atmosphere. That has to change on Sunday. We can't have one full side of the ground being quiet.
We need to get a noisy group in there - early - ideally with at least one drum, bodhran or something. I'll go there, but I'll need a few more with me. :p
And you lads with the bodhrans: make sure you bring them unless you get your hands on a good loud drum (and even then, bring them anyway and let someone else batter them). Every bit helps.

Rory H
23/10/2006, 3:15 PM
We need to get a noisy group in there - early - ideally with at least one drum, bodhran or something. I'll go there, but I'll need a few more with me.
And you lads with the bodhrans: make sure you bring them unless you get your hands on a good loud drum (and even then, bring them anyway and let someone else batter them). Every bit helps.

id love to do this....but we wont have enough numbers....no one wants to stand up and sing in the stands...dont ask me why...it would be brillaint if we could...

Fivesilver
23/10/2006, 4:09 PM
we wont have enough numbers....it would be brillaint if we could...

Why on earth not? All it would take is a group of 5-10 to get the rest going. Loud and all as the Shed will be, the blue stand the whole way up the field is going to be all Derry, which means it's going to be hard for the Shed to be heard beyond the halfway line. Even at that, they're competing with the terrace beside them and half the blue stand.
Are we just going to roll over and be shamed in our own back yard in front of a live TV audience?
It could be a long time before this opportunity comes around again.

dublinred
23/10/2006, 4:36 PM
Would be good if the suppporters clubs and the rovers away fans stood at the back to the new stand.

SligoBrewer
23/10/2006, 7:04 PM
http://homepage.eircom.net/~SligoBrewer/Balarovers.mp3
http://homepage.eircom.net/~SligoBrewer/youaremydickbrush.mp3

2 new chants. learn them well.

by the way...
i want to hear 'Oh Oh Woah, You Wish You Were Back Home In Derry!' on sunday. what time is everyone going to the game?

The Stars
23/10/2006, 7:36 PM
be in the ground at about 2:30,soak up the atmosphere.

The Stars
23/10/2006, 8:11 PM
I'll be in Mooneys soaking something else up ! :) No but will be trying to get in before 3 alright

thats disgusting......
Might go to Mooneys myself for a while.

feo123
23/10/2006, 9:03 PM
should be a good atmosphere in there alright before and after the game....mite stick my head in although im not interested in alcoholic beverages!

feo123
23/10/2006, 9:12 PM
We should all agree on a place in the new stand and meet there before the game....come on lads just this once at least arguably our biggest game in years we must cheer them on as loud as we can and help them take us to landsdowne....a great atmosphere helps so much!

Shedzer
23/10/2006, 11:50 PM
ya...****ing get this right for once....

i dont care where but il be where the noise is and il be bringing a few with me...

Airhorns are needed!!!:)

akearins
24/10/2006, 8:37 AM
Derry have the entire Jinks Avenue stand, so you can imagine the noise they'll make with 2000 fans there and the fact that the tin roof amplifies any noise they will make some racket.And thats why I cannot understand why the MC decidede to put them there.Rovers fans will be out on the terraces, railway end and beside shed.As we all know when your out in the open it takes some effort to make noise,it would have been as easy to run the Derry fans down the back of the Jinks avenue stand and up onto the Railway terrace and give us the stand.Cannnot understand it.Sean can ask for al the atmosphere he wants but this was on big boo boo.(Also Rovers fans do not deserve to be shafted onto the terarces)

Im gonna head down the railway end and anyone meeting in Mooneys before, well we'll try and convince them to all gather in one place and see what racket we can make.So between the shed and railway id say is where most of the noise will come from

Rory H
24/10/2006, 9:04 AM
Im gonna head down the railway end and anyone meeting in Mooneys before, well we'll try and convince them to all gather in one place and see what racket we can make.So between the shed and railway id say is where most of the noise will come from

agreed

come on lets all meet up in mooneys before hand...maybe i was slightly cynical earlier...we can outsing derry fans....a change of plan too..the badhrons will be there

akearins is there no chance the drum is "match fit"...

akearins
24/10/2006, 9:07 AM
Unfortunately not wild rover.I did give ita late fitness last night but it failed miserably,problem was we had the wrong drum stick for the skin at it got damaged.Hopefully Matty will be allowed back in for game Sunday and he will bring his drum

Rovers1
24/10/2006, 9:26 AM
Im gonna head down the railway end

thats where im headin to too,make as much noise as possible...
**** the MC for puttin the Derry fans in the jinks avenue stand..low roof...thats where the best atmosphere is. we'll just have to sing even louder :D

Rory H
24/10/2006, 9:56 AM
Unfortunately not wild rover.I did give ita late fitness last night but it failed miserably,problem was we had the wrong drum stick for the skin at it got damaged.Hopefully Matty will be allowed back in for game Sunday and he will bring his drum

pity.....

cant see matty being there to be honest...also not sure if he got his drum fixed

feo123
24/10/2006, 5:05 PM
So....lads, should we all meet in the railway end....like the stand might be a lost cause i think and the older people in the new stand will only chants rovers,rovers if we're winning or something! all that will be seen on camera aswell will be the singing derry fans too because there in the jinks stand! get a few songs and a bit of colour at the railway end and get shown on the telly aswell!!!!

The Stars
24/10/2006, 6:41 PM
the gantry will be in the Jinks avenue side so it will be facing the Main Stand.

feo123
24/10/2006, 7:36 PM
oh ya true, true...was thinking of where they always have the camera! wonder who'll be down from RTE....