PDA

View Full Version : Alan O'Brien and Pat Devlin

Tenderloins
16/10/2006, 2:06 PM
Interesting article in the Tribune on Sunday questioning Alan O'Briens inclusion in the Irish squad/ team ahead of many other players of better ability. Alludes to his links with Pat Devlin, how everyone including the player himself were stunned when he was called up to the Irish Squad.
As good as said too that Newcastle dont rate him.

Was this the first time O'Briens links with Devlin have been mentioned in the media?

eirebhoy
16/10/2006, 2:10 PM
Website requires login so here's the article:

FORTY-EIGHT hours after Ireland's defeat in Stuttgart last month, Alan O'Brien was named in the Newcastle United reserves team that took on Benfield Bay Plastics in a friendly at Sam Smith Park.

By all accounts, O'Brien tormented the Northern League part-timers, making two goals in a 4-2 win. It's just as well he performed on the night because the 90 minutes against a side obviously tired out from their day jobs was to be his only action until he came off the bench in Nicosia eight days ago. In the build-up to the Cypriot nightmare, a groin injury ensured he hadn't kicked a football meaningfully for a month.

Following his 11-minute cameo at Lansdowne Road last Wednesday night, the 21-year-old earned a unique distinction via his fourth cap. He has now played more competitive football for the Irish international side than for the Newcastle first team. His five competitive outings for his club have been substitute cameos totalling one hour. Counting the half against the Netherlands in August, he's already clocked up 83 minutes in an Ireland shirt. In the space of a few weeks, he's acquired the status of one of Staunton's favoured subs. At St James' Park so far this season, he has failed to add to a nine-minute runout against Lillestrom in the Intertoto Cup back in July.

Even in an era when the bizarre has become commonplace around the Irish international set-up, the rapid elevation of O'Brien is particularly strange. The manner in which he came from nowhere to become a fixture in the squad is the most off-kilter selection in recent memory. Having impressed Pat Devlin, his former adviser and current Ireland B team manager, with his performance as a substitute in a pre-season friendly against Villarreal, he made the cut for the Dutch game. When news of his call-up reached the Newcastle squad at the luggage carousel in Riga Airport, many, including O'Brien himself, figured the story to be some sort of elaborate prank.

Why would anybody have thought otherwise? In four years, the longest run-out Newcastle have afforded O'Brien is 28 minutes against Blackburn Rovers nine months ago. Out on loan to Carlisle United this time last year, he started just two games and featured as a sub thrice more. When the Irish under-21s squared up to Azerbaijan for the two-legged European Championships play-off back in May, Don Givens didn't think him worthy of a place in the squad for either match.

Between then and his surprise halftime introduction against Holland, he'd added precisely nine minutes of firstteam football to his portfolio.

Those who have worked with him every day for years at Newcastle have never thought O'Brien good enough for a regular seat on the bench at a midtable Premiership outfit. According to Staunton and his scouts though, he's up to the task of trying to unhinge the Czechs or the Germans late on in qualifying matches. Does anybody else think this a little strange? We are told again and again about his pace but if he was that fast and/or that good, wouldn't clubs more ambitious than Wolves be hot on his trail? Not to mention that surely an ardent suitor might by now have come in with something more concrete than an offer to take him on a three-month loan.

The really curious thing here is that there are Irish players knocking around Premiership first teams that can't get a sniff of a place in Staunton's squad. Reading's Steve Hunt came off the bench and garnered more topflight football experience in the month of September than O'Brien has managed in his entire career.

The Waterford-born 25-yearold also boasts more than 150 firstteam games in the Championship. What qualifies one wide left player for inclusion ahead of another? Is O'Brien's pace that much of a differential? Do displays in competitive cameos for Reading not count for as much as run-outs against Spanish opposition in pre-season?

Since O'Brien is merely on the bench, some may regard all this as much ado about very little. Yet in the last three games, he's been one of the trusted few to be charged with the task of assisting the Irish cause in times of crisis. This is why his continued selection matters and deserves further examination. Whatever method of addition is applied, something doesn't quite add up.

From time to time, Staunton's predecessors as Ireland manager have been forced to pick established players during spells when they were languishing in their clubs' reserves. To this point, O'Brien is a career reservist. You have to go back to Mick McCarthy bringing Ian Harte (four first-team games into his time at Leeds) off the bench for a friendly against Croatia in 1996 to find any precedent for this sort of thing.

In O'Brien's defence, he was apparently brilliant for the Newcastle second string last season, especially prominent in their winning of something called the Northumberland Senior Cup.

Obviously not brilliant enough to be trusted with significant first-team playing time or to be rated ahead of Charles N'Zogbia by the people who matter at St James' Park. And definitely not brilliant enough to persuade them against signing Damien Duff to play wide on the left. "Relatively untried" is how the Newcastle press described him at the start of this campaign. Exactly the sort of description that still applies four games into his international career.

Curiouser and curiouser.
http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=TribuneFTF&id=78198&SUBCAT=&_ticket=51K7RC94SGSGX237CAMAAQ6IIKLAFS6DJQRFL1PAAT UEBRNDCQVOTRRITAXM9NTHNLL9CHUTUXQFIQ0FLMTECY0DBHSI 7USEIOPNHUSEAOW4UURGUU4HKSS9ANWP4879CHVTTRRLONNAHP SEARQ9CHYKTRRLLNNAGVSEARM9CHZGTRRMINNAHWSEAOWR

Paddy Garcia
16/10/2006, 2:53 PM
Bit if a relief actually , I could not understand his inclusion at all.

Obviously corrupt, but at least it is not down to sheer incompetance.:rolleyes:

cavan_fan
16/10/2006, 2:55 PM
I may be about to defend Stan here.

From the runouts that O'Brien has had, he does have excellent pace, which is something we have very little of in the team. Ok, his final ball is poor. but I can see a justification for picking him. I was glad to se him come on for Kilbane last week.

We've criticised Kerr/McCarthy in the past for not picking young players, Stan is being brave here. we might nto agree with the selection but at least he is going with his opinion.

Dodge
16/10/2006, 2:58 PM
we might nto agree with the selection but at least he is going with his opinion.
Did you not read the article, Stan hadn't even seen him play

Paddy Garcia
16/10/2006, 3:12 PM
We've criticised Kerr/McCarthy in the past for not picking young players, Stan is being brave here. we might nto agree with the selection but at least he is going with his opinion.

Yes criticised for not picking young players who were playing for their club teams, not someone who can't make the bench.

Kingdom
16/10/2006, 3:24 PM
I may be about to defend Stan here.

From the runouts that O'Brien has had, he does have excellent pace, which is something we have very little of in the team. Ok, his final ball is poor. but I can see a justification for picking him. I was glad to se him come on for Kilbane last week.

Sorry but that post is a crock of shyte. He is not worthy of a place in the squad. He didn't even get into the U21 squad 5 months ago for God's sake. Its disgraceful, nothing more nothing less.

And as for previous managers being criticised, bullshyte. They weren't criticised for not playing yound players undeserving of caps, but they may have been slagged off for not trying a few fringe players in friendlies.

Paddy Garcia
16/10/2006, 3:29 PM
Sorry but that post is a crock of shyte. He is not worthy of a place in the squad. He didn't even get into the U21 squad 5 months ago for God's sake. Its disgraceful, nothing more nothing less.

And as for previous managers being criticised, bullshyte. They weren't criticised for not playing yound players undeserving of caps, but they may have been slagged off for not trying a few fringe players in friendlies.

I agree, though he can run very very fast.

Who is holding Stan to account for these decisions - apart from the folks here ?

Kingdom
16/10/2006, 3:36 PM
I agree, though he can run very very fast.

Who is holding Stan to account for these decisions - apart from the folks here ?

Thats ********. Instead of holding training down in Malahide Utd's ground let him head down to Sundrive Park and watch the sprinters of Donore Harriers. I guarentee you'll find someone quicker than o'Brien, possibly one who looks up occassionally too.

youngirish
16/10/2006, 3:46 PM
Alan O'Brien is nowhere near good enough to be getting in the squad, nevermind getting a run out on the pitch. No matter what the doom merchants say things are not that bad that we should be letting reserve team players into the first team. His place would be much better filled by someone getting regular games in the Championship.

He's not even that young either so I can't see any justification for his inclusion though to be honest that's just one of the many decisions that Stan has made that continues to puzzle me.

Stuttgart88
16/10/2006, 3:54 PM
From what I saw of him on Saturday (TV highlights only) Stephen Hunt has far more to offer at the moment. I'd seen Hunt last year quite a few times but The Championship is one thing, impressing against Chelsea is another.

There's far more depth to our squad than people think.

Alan Quinn should be there for a start, preferable as a central option but he can play wide too. Andy Reid when fit is very close to the first XI and can play either flank, or centrally.

McGeady can't guarantee a place in the team yet he can impress at CL level. Kilbane is still only 29 and is at least a good bench option for the LHS.

I fail to see how O'Brien deserves his place with the abovementioned players and Duff vieing for similar positions. Ronnie O'Brien is probably a lot more deserving of a call up.

It's a pity Alan O'Brien wasn't allowed go to Wolves. Then we could have had a chance to assess him and compare like with like.

wws
16/10/2006, 3:56 PM

speak for yourself - 'picking young players'

the job is to pick the best players. end of

Calcio Jack
16/10/2006, 4:05 PM
For the sake of openess and transparancy, John Delaney should be asked by a journalist to detail how many players in the Senior, u/21 and u/19's have Pat Devlin as there agent and/or were recomended by him to English clubs and what potential payments would accrue to Devlin in the event of those players gaining caps at any of the aforementioned levels... methinks it would be an interesting list

ps.... same question should also apply to the recently re-activated B international team... what's that funny smell I'm sensing !!!

Paddy Garcia
16/10/2006, 4:05 PM
Thats ********. .

Irony actually

DeNiro
16/10/2006, 4:11 PM
well if he's in the next squad at the expense of a more senior player then there is something going on! The 'B' game is perfect for him. Let him have his 90 minutes there and then we'll assess. He's probably keeping the likes of McPhail out of the squad, which is truly bizarre.

Paddy Garcia
16/10/2006, 4:16 PM
Occasionally it makes sense to give a youngster a runout. I had no problem with Dixon being given a chance in a friendly. He is deemed the striker of his generation at English clubs and tipped for the very top, Irish underage players will tell you that he is an exceptional talent "awsome" in fact. There are a few other instances.

Alan O'Brien though is entirely different - even his own club do not rate him very highly. He is nowhere near good enough, even Mark Kennedy would be a more sensible option.

Noelys Guitar
16/10/2006, 5:11 PM
Questions for Staunton.
1. How big an input does Pat Devlin have? Who told you about Alan O'Brien if you had not previously seen him play? If it was Devlin should you be taking advice from a players agent on playing that agents player?
2. Have you yourself watched either Paddy McCarthy or Ronnie O'Brien play for their teams? If not why? What other players on the fringes have you not watched? Do those same players need to get their agents to contact you first?
3. Should you resign if we don't beat San Marino home and away? Would you consider a draw in either game "not the end of it"?
4. How old is too old for your 4 year plan?

tall chapy
16/10/2006, 5:11 PM
Calcio Jack that is exactly what I think. Could not agree more. If we can see it, then why is nobody in the the FAI questioning it.

Student Mullet
16/10/2006, 5:19 PM
For the sake of openess and transparancy, John Delaney should be asked by a journalist to detail how many players in the Senior, u/21 and u/19's have Pat Devlin as there agent and/or were recomended by him to English clubs and what potential payments would accrue to Devlin in the event of those players gaining caps at any of the aforementioned levels... methinks it would be an interesting list

ps.... same question should also apply to the recently re-activated B international team... what's that funny smell I'm sensing !!!He was asked just that at a talk he gave in Portlaoise and he denied anyone involved was acting as an unofficial agent.

Noelys Guitar
16/10/2006, 5:36 PM
He was asked just that at a talk he gave in Portlaoise and he denied anyone involved was acting as an unofficial agent.

Agent, advisor, unofficial advisor, friend or whatever semantics are being used. Why is a, at this moment in time, mediocre, unproven, reserve team player of a poor team getting in ahead of more established players such as MCPhail who is playing well for a team on the up (albeit a league below)

cavan_fan
16/10/2006, 7:12 PM
Agent, advisor, unofficial advisor, friend or whatever semantics are being used. Why is a, at this moment in time, mediocre, unproven, reserve team player of a poor team getting in ahead of more established players such as MCPhail who is playing well for a team on the up (albeit a league below)

McPhail and O'Brien are not competing for the same place. I'm not sure whose place O'Brien is taking here. Possibly Hunt's. But as someone pointed out Hunt is 25, O'Brien is 21.

Emmet
16/10/2006, 7:39 PM
I thought O'Brien's performance against the Dutch was quite good. He caused problems with his pace and gave the whole team a completely different option. He was not on long enough against either the Germans or the Czechs to have the same impact. Personally I think he should definitely be part of the squad because he brings something that no other player would bring - ie his electrifying pace.

Newcastle rate him very highly btw - the fact that they would not let him go to Wolves shows that. He is a good player and will - if he can stay injury free - be a regular starter for us in years to come.

eirebhoy
16/10/2006, 7:58 PM
Newcastle rate him very highly btw - the fact that they would not let him go to Wolves shows that. He is a good player and will - if he can stay injury free - be a regular starter for us in years to come.
If that's the case then why isn't he even making the bench? He has shown nothing more than his pace so far in an Ireland shirt and didn't make much of an impact at Carlisle.

Paddy Garcia
16/10/2006, 8:15 PM

They only said no because a) bit of an injury crisis & b) small squad. Otherwise they were prepared to allow him to go out on loan.

Seagull
16/10/2006, 9:05 PM
Also, who could have been behind Dalglish's name being put forward as taking Robson's role, surely not his old mate, Devo? At least the FAI seem to have knocked that on the head fairly quick.

mossey2006
16/10/2006, 11:30 PM
alan o biren has been injured thats y he hasnt made the newcastle bench recently he was called up to the squad wen he was still injured nd he is rated very highly at newcastle they offered him a new contract over the summer

Dodge
17/10/2006, 12:34 AM
alan o biren has been injured thats y he hasnt made the newcastle bench recently he was called up to the squad wen he was still injured nd he is rated very highly at newcastle they offered him a new contract over the summer

He hasn't been injured the last three years

Calcio Jack
17/10/2006, 7:57 AM
He was asked just that at a talk he gave in Portlaoise and he denied anyone involved was acting as an unofficial agent.

I know he said that , ie "no one is acting in an unofficial capacity". That is typical "cute" speak by Delaney. The real question is " Is it right to allow an individual who is the agent of some players and entitled to bonus payments in the event of those players recieving caps be part of the senior teams backroom staff and in the case of the B team actually pick it..".

Personally I think suck a sceanario is wrong... however based on the publics recent reaction to Bertie taking "gifts" and "loans" I suspect many would find the above to be acceptable... the top brass in the FAI certainely do.

Stuttgart88
17/10/2006, 8:10 AM
I think the squad's in better shape than we give it credit for.

Carsley & Douglas was the most competitive midfield combo we've had since Keane retired.

I just don't get the clamour for McPhail's inclusion. Yes, he should be watched but not automatically picked. I think McPhail's direct peers are probably Ireland & Miller, maybe Alan Quinn. Definitely not O'Brien.

Isn't O'Brien still U21 eligible anyway?

Superhoops
17/10/2006, 8:19 AM
The real question is " Is it right to allow an individual who is the agent of some players and entitled to bonus payments in the event of those players recieving caps be part of the senior teams backroom staff and in the case of the B team actually pick it..".

I think you will find that although Devlin will manage the team, Stephen Staunton will be selecting the squad and the only input Devlin will have into that will be to identify Eircom League players who should be considered.

Emmet
17/10/2006, 10:11 AM
O'Brien's problem at Newcastle is N'Zogia and Duff ... both play in more or less his position and both are a lot more experienced. Personally, I think he should leave Newcastle because he is good enough to hold down a regular place at one of the lower-end EPL clubs and certainly in the Championship. My understanding of the situation is that Newcastle want to keep him because they can see he has got huge potential.

pete
17/10/2006, 11:01 AM
Given Devlins activities to date - getting former advisee O'Brien into the irish squad & proposing his buddy Daglish as replacement for Robson i presume the B squad will be full of Devlins current & former advisees. :rolleyes:

geysir
17/10/2006, 12:00 PM
He hasn't been injured the last three years
Sure the broken leg he suffered during pre- season 2004/05 didn't slow him down at all.