PDA

View Full Version : Daft Dave

Lionel Ritchie
16/10/2006, 10:27 AM
I'd like to shake the hand of the person who came up with the 'Daft Dave' concept ...

...because that'll put them off guard before I bury an axe in the cupid stunts skull.

If my doctor told me I'd @rse cancer that they'd worked out an operating procedure for that involved no more equipment than a common garden hedge shears I think I'd think it funnier and less painful.

Dawn_Run
16/10/2006, 11:09 AM
I beg to differ.

Its classic stuff.

Peadar
16/10/2006, 11:33 AM
There must be big money in tiles, the feckin ads are constantly on the radio and print media.

Remember how we all hate Harvey Norman?
Well I think they tried to be ironic in a previous ad by having an incredibly annoying Dublin accent, telling how annoying Harvey Norman was.

I think we should set Daft Dave and his liquidiser on Harvey in a sort of Commercial Deathmatch type thing.

dahamsta
16/10/2006, 11:46 AM
Anyone care to enlighten me?

LukeO
16/10/2006, 11:59 AM
Its an irritating radio ad. "Where's my monkey?"

Drumcondra Red
16/10/2006, 12:13 PM
"Where's my monkey?" Great stuff!!! :D

Lionel Ritchie
16/10/2006, 12:24 PM
Anyone care to enlighten me?

You lucky, lucky man. You'll hardly stay lucky though. But stay away from radio a bit longer and you might prolong your good fortune.

Remember "Upwardly Mobile"? Recall the way there was something quite distressing about it that might make one call into question the state of the society that spawned and fed it -such was it's desperation?

Well that level of distress is back ...in Daft Dave form.

Monkey jokes? Roller skate Jokes? JEEEEzoz fcukin Christ whats wrong with us?

Fear Manach
16/10/2006, 12:28 PM
He still goes to Dublin City games.

pineapple stu
16/10/2006, 12:29 PM
You lucky, lucky man. You'll hardly stay lucky though. But stay away from radio a bit longer and you might prolong your good fortune.
I try and avoid radio wherever possible. Have CDs in the car and a tape only walkman if I'm walking. Radio advertising is generally painful - only marginally more so than radio DJs, actually - and from this thread, it sounds like I'm making the right choice...

blobbyblob
16/10/2006, 12:34 PM
Daft dave is a lege

Bully Bull
16/10/2006, 12:39 PM
It may be annoying but it is having the desired effect.Kind of reminds me of the Ronseal ads.Radio adds seem be using increasingly annoying vocals ,due to the fact they lack the visual effect of television adverts etc.Doesnt excuse Daft Dave though.What a p*ick!

Lionel Ritchie
16/10/2006, 12:41 PM
What's a lege?

I'm guessing it's term used by uninspired advertising firms for a sub-christmas cracker funny catch phrase bumble tit.

Lionel Ritchie
16/10/2006, 12:45 PM
It may be annoying but it is having the desired effect.

Well beyond people raising their tragic advert campaign I'd guess the desired effect is to get people buying tiles. Well I've finished the last tiling job I'm ever doing ages ago so tough titty on 'em. I don't care how much their turkish traber-whatevertofeck costs -not buying it -and not off them even if it was the last of it on earth.

dahamsta
16/10/2006, 12:48 PM
Don't generally like the radio tbh, no control and there's generally only crud on anyway. I'd listen to Gerry Ryan if nothing else was available, but that's a whole other flame war... ;)

adam

Lionel Ritchie
16/10/2006, 2:26 PM
Don't generally like the radio tbh, no control and there's generally only crud on anyway. I'd listen to Gerry Ryan if nothing else was available, but that's a whole other flame war... ;)

adam

true. ...I'd say Gerry'd like Daft Dave. Though I've nothing to base that on.

For my sins I listen to Matt Cooper and Today FM seem to be very encouraging of yellow pack ads based on non-funny humour jingoistic toss-pottery. As I think of it ...I think I just realised who the man behind Daft Dave is.

Now if I ever catch up with Daft Dave I'm going to put three or four more men behind him ...all of them multi-chinnned, heavy breathing and surprisingly well hung Fine Gael county councillors.

dahamsta
16/10/2006, 2:33 PM
I see ads for NewsTalk down here now, when did it go national? Is it any good?

Peadar
16/10/2006, 2:34 PM
...when did it go national?

Few weeks ago.

Is it any good?

Not really!
Some programmes on it sound like 3 guys reading Internet forums and arguing about what they read.

centre mid
16/10/2006, 2:39 PM
Why did they take McWilliams off the air - really liked him

dahamsta
16/10/2006, 2:44 PM
Some programmes on it sound like 3 guys reading Internet forums and arguing about what they read.I didn't know it was owned by the Star. :)

Thanks Peadar.

Dodge
16/10/2006, 3:20 PM
That’s only the sports coverage, the news/current affairs coverage on newstalk is excellent. In fact if they got rid of Ken Earley from the football bits they'd be 100% better. Moncrieff is good.

As for Gerry Ryan...

dahamsta
16/10/2006, 3:30 PM
Better than Cork's Neil Prendeville by a long shot Dodge; who for years was the only other option. A lot better. Waaaaay better. Getting the picture? :)

adam

BohsPartisan
16/10/2006, 3:40 PM
Some programmes on it sound like 3 guys reading Internet forums and arguing about what they read.

They actually have a show which involves three blokes sitting around discussing what is being discussed on Politics.ie

Anto McC
16/10/2006, 6:54 PM
Where's my monkey :D

and i want everyone on roller skates :D

It's the voice that does it for me!

the 12 th man
16/10/2006, 7:13 PM
Few weeks ago.

Not really!

That sounds like "On the ball" sports prog at 7 pm.Listen out for the Intro each eve at the start (same one each eve) whitch includes a few famous quotes like the " prawn sandwich" one and a beauty from cycling Journo Paul Kimmage about his fellow hacks in the press room welcoming back David Millar (cyclist-convicted doper).

DmanDmythDledge
16/10/2006, 9:20 PM
That sounds like "On the ball" sports prog at 7 pm.Listen out for the Intro each eve at the start (same one each eve) whitch includes a few famous quotes like the " prawn sandwich" one and a beauty from cycling Journo Paul Kimmage about his fellow hacks in the press room welcoming back David Millar.
"Off the Ball".;) It's on from 7pm-10pm every weekday, with an Eircom League segment on Thursdays from 9-10pm featuring the insightful Roddy Collins.:D

higgins
16/10/2006, 9:53 PM
Off the ball used to be fairly good. They had a large selection of journos on and did a crazy amount of interviews. Last couple of months the pool seems to have got much smaller and listening to Graham Hunter tell us Barcelona and all the La Liga teams are the best in the world every night doesn't do it for me.

I also find Mr Paul Parker to be very very annoying and he just comes across as an idiot.

They have some decent coverage of the horse racing if your into that and the Eircom League hour/20 mins is good when they do it. The Friday night Eircom coverage just basically takes a dig at the league for two hours, its squashed into their American hour so when you've heard all about the latest NFL drug story or Basketballs latest rape scandal they will throw in a reference to 'mighty Waterford' or lethal 'Jason Byrne' or a host of other terms which are neither funny or informative.

Although I didnt like Ger Gilroy the show does seem to have gone down after he left.

Rugby coverage is about the only topic they do good balanced coverage of.

The soccer is awful and involves more of what manager is fighting with what player rather than discussing the actual soccer.

Also Roddy Collins is a ****** .........
Three lads sitting in a studio licking his arse for 10 mins every week is doing nothing for football in this country.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
and their GAA coverage is way over the top!!

John Giles is good but again they only use him for top table premiership games that get loads of coverade any way. Id love them to ask some of their guests about eircom league teams, especially when we are in europe in the same rounds as the other teams they discuss!

Think I've covered everything :)

Daft Dave is great :D
Love that ad

Risteard
17/10/2006, 11:56 AM
I'm liquidising this forum.
Every post must go.

Peadar
17/10/2006, 2:40 PM
I'm liquidising this forum.
Every post must go.

This madness has to end, Risteard! ;)