PDA

View Full Version : UTD v Dundalk

Pages : [1] 2

Conor H
16/10/2006, 10:07 AM
Friday night will witness another massive game where a victory would surely put is in the driving seat to win the title this year.It won't be easy by any means and could be a harder match than Rovers at home.Philip Hughes is a big threat up front and it's vital the lads keep him quiet on Friday.I think we'll win it though.I wouldn't fear anyone in Terryland and in front of a large vocal home support i reckon the lads have the advantage.
Only thing is though Connacht have a vital game that night too and with dundalk not been as attractive as Rovers for some fans it's imperative that this game is really hyped up and that posters are covered around the city and country.
After the win and atmosphere against Rovers there will be at least 3000 there again but hopefully we'll have up to 4000(like rovers i suppose) with a good 250 anyway from Dundalk.We've got 9 out of 9 from Limerick,Rovers and Harps a win against Dundalk and there'll be no stopping us!:cool:

Terry
16/10/2006, 10:21 AM
This match IMO is going to be much ahrder than the rovers match. Dundalk are flying and scoring at every opportunity. Its going to be a case of whoever puts away the chances will win the game as I cant see any clean sheets in this match.

All everybody this morning in work was talking about, was how united won again and how big the match friday will be so Im expecting another packed house for sure.

Where can I get more posters for this weeks game? I'll take about 5 if its ok. Does anybody know if GBFM will be covering this match too ? as I know a few people who wont make it this time and would love it they were covering it!

JW.
16/10/2006, 10:31 AM
I can certainly see us keeping a clean sheet. We have conceded twice in six games and Rovers had one chance of note in the entire game against us. I'm pretty confident we'll beat Dundalk.

Terry
16/10/2006, 10:37 AM
I can certainly see us keeping a clean sheet. We have conceded twice in six games and Rovers had one chance of note in the entire game against us. I'm pretty confident we'll beat Dundalk.

Im confident of a win also, but nevertheless, Dundalk have scored 10 goals in there last 3 matches alone and to think we will keep a clean sheet against them IMO is seriously underrating them. I do hope your right though !

Conor H
16/10/2006, 10:38 AM
Ya but on the flip side Dundalk have scored 10 times in their last 3 games.They'll be just as confident.

JW.
16/10/2006, 10:41 AM
They're scoring against pretty moderate teams though (Athlone had only 10 men for alot of the game).
We're pretty strong at the back at present.
Should be another great night lads!

Conor H
16/10/2006, 10:48 AM
They're scoring against pretty moderate teams though (Athlone had only 10 men for alot of the game).
We're pretty strong at the back at present.
Should be another great night lads!

Hope you're right.I think home advantage is crucial and could well be the deciding factor.I mean if we had to travel to Oriel on thursday i don't think any of us would be as confident especially considering our record there.Not a superb performance in Ballybofey but we got the win and that's what potential champions do-win.I wonder will he go back to Dowdy and Gethins?Neither deserve to lose their place but Murphs worked hard in Donegal.

JW.
16/10/2006, 10:51 AM
How was Slab in general Conor? I'd say he might not change the team much to be honest.

gufct
16/10/2006, 10:58 AM
He was ok johnny but didnt work as hard.

Conor H
16/10/2006, 11:07 AM
How was Slab in general Conor? I'd say he might not change the team much to be honest.

Was better than he has been in the matches before he was dropped.Held the ball up well and had some nice touches but not near his best.GUFCT did you not think the whole teams workrate was brillaint.I have to acknowledge it.....in the last few minutes they threw themselves at everything to prevent harps from scoring.....Alan also worked in fairness.

Dave drummerboy
16/10/2006, 12:20 PM
You all seem very confident in your selves . i reckon three two to dundalk . It s going to be one of them games we score you score straight away . Cant wait for it , good buz about town . We shall have a lot more then rovers had down as well .

JW.
16/10/2006, 12:26 PM
It's going to be one of them games we score you score straight away
I can guarantee you that it will be anything but.

exiled_gufc_fan
16/10/2006, 1:10 PM
Does anybody know if GBFM will be covering this match too ? as I know a few people who wont make it this time and would love it they were covering it!

I really hope they do - those London based GUFC fans I know, as indeed exiled GUFC fans worldwide, would very much appreciate it! It's far better than hitting the Refresh button every two minutes on the web version of Errortel!

GuisaSaigon
16/10/2006, 1:14 PM
Just heard today that GBFM will cover the game live www.galwaybayfm.ie
also http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie should have live text updates

galwayhoop
16/10/2006, 1:18 PM
agree with you there. has one nil written all over it

Conor H
16/10/2006, 1:24 PM
agree with you there. has one nil written all over it

To who though?;)

JW.
16/10/2006, 1:39 PM
Us :)

corbyeire
16/10/2006, 1:58 PM
it would be a travesty if murph starts - he was brutal in ballybofey

conor h - how or where or when did murph work hard?!?!?!

corbyeire
16/10/2006, 2:00 PM
we are both on a run - maybe dundalks is due to end before ours as its longer on the law of averages

thought we were lucky to get the win at harps - draw was probably right result from a neutral perspective

GUISAUltra
16/10/2006, 3:31 PM

It depends on how the defence performs. if we defend the way we did against rovers i can easily see us keeping a clean sheet as rovers could be still there now and they still wouldnt have got past the defence.
On the other hand if we defend like we did up in harps goughy is gonna have an awful lot of work to do.

heres hoping that we can put in another massive home performance like we did against rovers and i really feel that if we do that there is no team in this league capable of beating us.

COME ON UNITED

Latcheko
16/10/2006, 4:16 PM
Does anyone know if Wes is okay to play on Friday? He looked pretty sore when he came off in Ballybofey.

eamo1
16/10/2006, 5:03 PM
written all over it as was said already.it will be as tight and tense as the rovers game,maybe even a bit more actually.the last 10 mins vrs rovers wasnt good for the heart even though we were pretty comfortable and ive a feeling this will be worse on friday.
i dont believe that dundalk fan who said they will bring more fans then rovers did,id love it if they did though,id be pleasently surprised.a nice weekend in galway will do ye good though even when ye lose;)

Gaillimh Al
16/10/2006, 5:18 PM
They will definetly have more than Rovers. A mate of mine is from Dundalk and said they had a large following down in Kildare, and they are expecting double that for Friday.
This game will make or break our season. Confident we'll win it but you never know. Any other year and we'd probably be out of sight in this division after a run of 7 wins. Squandered points earlier in the season could still come back to haunt us.
Prediction: 2-1 Utd (O'Dowd and Cretaro)

GUISAUltra
16/10/2006, 5:27 PM
i know they had a massive crowd in kildare but that is a good bit closer to them than galway and also this is on a friday and the kildare game was a saturday so i dunno if they'll bring more than rovers but i'd love to see it

Terry
17/10/2006, 7:15 AM
Last thursday they sold 130 tickets after there match. Considering rovers brought around 150, I would guess they have already surpassed that amount.

Dave drummerboy
17/10/2006, 12:21 PM
So far Shed tour 49 seats booked out , travel bus on 2 52 seater with 85 name and papers still have to come out on wens with there number and details . Shamrock bar running a bus and aveneu bar . There is a large amount staying over . I know there s over 200 tickets sold and most of my men shed tours havent bought them yet . rovers have 150 we should double it if not more . We had 150 in kildare . we had 70 in kilkenny we will have 300 easy in galway .

corbyeire
17/10/2006, 12:23 PM
great news - fair play to ye

gufct
17/10/2006, 1:00 PM
its up to the galway fans now we need to match the crowd and noise amnd colour against rovers.Greatto see a young lad in Gort in the new united Jersey on community challenge last sunday wouldnt it be great to the stand a sea of Maroon from A To G on friday night.

exiled_gufc_fan
17/10/2006, 1:40 PM
Just heard today that GBFM will cover the game live www.galwaybayfm.ie
also http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie should have live text updates

:) Great news! I better warn my housemates of possible yelling then! :D

Terry
17/10/2006, 1:55 PM
Just wondering whats the story with the sales for the match from our side of things? A few regulars that I was talking to didnt even know the match was all ticket. I personally, havent seen one poster anywhere advertising the game (by the way PD I need 5 posters ASAP as theres Connaught rugby posters where I had my posters from the last match!). Its time for us all to start the hype around town again !!

COMON UNITED

gufct
17/10/2006, 2:50 PM
the only posters that are up are down to Ronan and a few Posters on here.Its down on Aertel as all ticket and is in todays sentinel as all ticket and is on Galway Bay FM as all ticket.Every media group have been emailed that its all ticket. We need to get a text campaign going again with Galway Bay and the other local radio stations in the area and get onto your sports and Social Club about selling tickets I know medtronic have them on sale as we speak.

We are the greatest at leaving the work to other people why not everyone on here download the Poster and email it to everyone they know.

scotsbeer
17/10/2006, 3:00 PM
cant believe murphy gets the stick he does. what more could we have asked from him on saturday. he scored the winning goal and always has the bottle to take the penalties. not every match at this time of the year will be great so we should be getting behind all of the team.they have all done brilliantly

GUISAUltra
17/10/2006, 3:23 PM
is there going to be a meeting of the fans again pre-match like there was against rovers.

i think all galway fans who can make it should meet pre-game down in foxes again around 5 or 6 o clock and of course all dundalk fans who are in galway early enough are more than welcome. i think that everyone meeting up last week helped to contribute to the atmosphere

MyTown
17/10/2006, 3:24 PM
Well done Scotsbeer.

Well done the lads.

We're into the critical phase. We need to do something we haven't done this season yet - score against Dundalk

Come on United & fellow posters - Let's be united. In a few short days, not alone weeks there may well be nothing to snipe about. The manager has already pointed to the possibility of Shamrock Rovers getting back the 3 points they lost on appeal. He has also repeatedly thanked the loyal supporters for being behind the team so let's be behind the WHOLE SQUAD.

We're on a knife edge so let them know you're there

Come on United

GuisaSaigon
17/10/2006, 3:40 PM
Well said My Town!
It's time to hype up this game. we're on a 7 game winning streak, we are after picking up three points against a good Harps team in ballybofey which is never easy.
Tell all your mates how well United are going, try to get people you know to come to Terryland even if they didnt come when you tried before the Rovers gamr TRY AGAIN.
Loads of people came to the last game who hadnt been in Terryland in years get on their case again.
bring your friends , if you dont have any bring your father, your mother,your cat......
Good times are here let's make the most of it!
We should definetly have a pre game reception in Foxes.It was great craic last time.If some Dundalk fans are around they should call in for a drink too, its in Eyre square near the train station, see you all there

GalwayFrancis
17/10/2006, 9:38 PM
bring your father, your mother,your cat.....
sorry, no cats allowed in terryland due to new licensing rules:D

eamo1
17/10/2006, 9:55 PM
for a career as a comedian,not yer strong point;)

Conor H
17/10/2006, 10:17 PM
Dundalk fans are wondering if there'll be spaces kept for their buses on Friday.They have a fair few coming including 2 full coaches.I know they'll take up alot of room but where can they park otherwise?I'll make enquiries but there's people on this board who should know.

eamo1
17/10/2006, 10:38 PM
philip hughes,he hasnt met billy and wes yet,should be a great duel between whover is on him.i hope wes is fit.my team would be
gough
keady,clery,charles,reilly
raf,foley,russell,obrien,
odowd,gethins.
carter,mixie and murph just lose out but they are not bad subs to bring on

Conor H
17/10/2006, 10:44 PM
philip hughes,he hasnt met billy and wes yet,should be a great duel between whover is on him.i hope wes is fit.my team would be
gough
odowd,gethins.

Well he's on some form at the moment.He also scored agaianst us in Oriel in April when we lost 1-0 and again when we lost 1-0 in August.Billy and Wes played that day.

Terry
18/10/2006, 7:12 AM
gough
odowd,gethins.

I would go along with that team but I expect Micko to be starting instead of Russell.

gufct
18/10/2006, 8:25 AM
I expect fran to start before either.He didnt start in Oriel and it was a big mistake as we lost out in the midfield battle and had no height to combat Dundalks long ball tactics.

JW.
18/10/2006, 9:20 AM
I'd probably recall Fran as well.

corbyeire
18/10/2006, 10:06 AM
dito on fran

Terry
18/10/2006, 10:20 AM
I thought Fran was still suspended, so ya, I would have Fran there to obviously.

GUISAUltra
18/10/2006, 11:10 AM
my team would be
gough
odowd,gethins.

i'd definitely agree with that it looks like a cracking team. i wonder will he start russeller tho. he was supposed to have been unreal in the under 21 game against salthill and we all know how good he was in limerick but i think he might keep franny and foley in the middle just to break up the supply getting up to phillip hughes.

JW.
18/10/2006, 11:11 AM
Just from reading the U21s report, it is freshing that he has maintained his passing ability (easily the best passer at the club IMHO).

GUISAUltra
18/10/2006, 11:14 AM
oh definitely he is the most creative player we have and he is definitely the best passer. thats why i'd like to see him there with either fran or foley because then we'd have a midfielder who can win tackles and break up possesion and also a creative midfielder to set up chances for gethins and dave

Conor H
18/10/2006, 2:36 PM
Anyone know how ticket sales in general are going?

Terry
18/10/2006, 2:49 PM
Went down to terryland to get a few for the lads at lunch and there was a good few more people there getting them at the same time. According to the club, sales are steady and going very well, but the way they told me, it sounded like it wont be as big a crowd as the rovers match. You'll never know though, as Galway poeple always seem to leave things till the last minute.