PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk FC 2 - 4 Athlone Town

atfconline
26/09/2002, 9:22 PM
Athlone Town travelled to Oriel Park tonight with plenty of confidence after the 0-0 draw with Finn Harps in St. Mel's Park last week.

They came away from Oriel with even more confidence, recording a magnificent 4-2 win over the Lilywhites. Things started badly with Martin reilly opening Dundalk's account in the fourth minute. Battling qualities are what Athlone are all about this season though, and Warren Parkes equalised in the 27th minute, getting his first goal of the season and becoming the first Athlone Town striker to score this season too. He got his and Town's second ten minutes later.

In the 60th minute he became the first Town player to score a hat-trick since Andy Myler put three past Drogheda United in the 2000/01 season. Dundalk pulled the deficit back to one when local youngster Chris Malone scored in the 76th minute, making for a nervous fifteen minute to the final whistle for Athlone. Athlone's top scorer last season Stephen Mullin put the game beyond reach with three minute to go, netting his first goal of the season since returning from America.

It has been reported in the local press that tonight was Parkes' final game for Athlone as he will soon be returning to his studies. If it was his final game, then it was a fitting way to end his season. Although he hadn't scored before tonight, he always performed well and came close to scoring on many occassions. Hopefully some sort of deal can be reached between Parkes and the Club.

Athlone have now picked up seven points from nine on their travels, and will be hoping to get their first home win of the season when Cobh Ramblers come to Saint Mel's Park next Friday October 4th.

Oh No
27/09/2002, 12:00 AM
Brilliant win, simply brilliant.

Warren showed signs of good form against Harps where he could have scored a couple. I hope he can continue to line out, we need him.

Well done Jimmy and the boys.

Ash
27/09/2002, 12:44 AM
Just home from Oriel...Abso-fecken-loutly brilliant

We should have scored 7!!!!!
Warren put away 3 goals that any striker in Europe would have
been proud of.
Davy came close with a header, Stephen and Henry
shot over and wide when it would have been easier to score
and then Stephen finished cooly to put the iceing on the cake!!!

And the unbelievable roar of De Athlone at the final whistle
was deafening ... well we made as much noise as 9 people could!!

Martin Murray was sent off and then regsined after the match

Lets Roll Over The Ramblers

Oh Athlone Town ... Is Wonderful .... :D

renegAde
27/09/2002, 9:34 AM
Well done to the lads on a brilliant win. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I checked Aertel and saw that scoreline! I only wish I had been there to see it myself, but what can you do?

Warren looked sharp against Harps last week and he deserves a lot of credit for joining that exclusive club of players who have scored a hat-trick for the mighty Town! Good to see Steve Mullen with the scoring boots on again also.

Come on the Town!

Peace,
Ade

Éanna
27/09/2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by atfconline
They came away from Oriel with even more confidence, recording a magnificent 4-2 win over the Lilywhites.
Always nice to see misery infilcted on the mcnultyites :D