PDA

View Full Version : Missing mid-week internationals -playing for club at weekend

nedder
15/10/2006, 3:38 PM
Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion.

At least 4 of our players, Carr, Doyle, Ireland and Kenny, missed Weds international, and all 4 started for their clubs on Sat/Sun

Now I know Doyle had an ankle problem and was fighting to be ready for wed, and Carr missed both games, but both Kenny and Ireland picked up mysterious hamstring injuries, yet were ok to play 3 days later...me thinks after the Cyprus debacle they mightn't have been up for it...

DmanDmythDledge
15/10/2006, 3:41 PM
As someone pointed out already the team didn't have a warm down. The injuries suffered wouldn't last a week.

Chippy
15/10/2006, 3:44 PM
Very reminiscent of when the now-Sunderland manager used to miss our matches with mysterious injuries & would then be fighting fit when it came to turning out for his club on a Saturday - he's obviously had a great influence on the new generation of Irish internationals !!!!;) ;)

theworm2345
15/10/2006, 3:47 PM
Could this have something to do with it?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6047656.stm
To tell the truth, the only one we really missed was probably Doyle, and we did better without him there, with the 5 midfielders.
Theres is a chance that had Kenny been there he would've made the save on Koller's shot (I'm having trouble remembering at this point), but Henderson didn't play badly

Closed Account
15/10/2006, 5:15 PM
Stephen Ireland didn't play for Manchester City this weekend.

SUB of the day
15/10/2006, 5:48 PM
Very reminiscent of when the now-Sunderland manager used to miss our matches with mysterious injuries & would then be fighting fit when it came to turning out for his club on a Saturday - he's obviously had a great influence on the new generation of Irish internationals !!!!;) ;)
Chippy by nature........

nedder
15/10/2006, 5:53 PM
Sorry Joe, You're correct about S Ireland. Could of sworn I heard Stuart Pearce mention him playing in his post match interview..

To be honest I don't think we missed Kenny. Henderson acquitted himself well, and I'm sure Kenny's confidence would have been low after Cyprus

The Sheliban
15/10/2006, 7:29 PM
Stephen Ireland started for Man City
Doyle started for Reading
Kenny started for Sheff Utd
Carr started for Newcastle
Elliott started for Sunderland
Douglas started for Leeds
No idea if O'Brien played for Portsmouth Reserves or not. Doubt if Harry Redknapp has either.

Genuine injuries or Iranitis? You're the viewer. You decide.

Closed Account
15/10/2006, 7:45 PM
No idea if O'Brien played for Portsmouth Reserves or not. Doubt if Harry Redknapp has either.

Stephen Ireland did not start/appear for Man City
Stephen Elliott did not start/appear for Sunderland
Douglas did not pull out of the Ireland-Czech Republic game?

theworm2345
15/10/2006, 7:45 PM

Neither Ireland or Elliott played this week, dont know where you got that from
(perhaps Ireland you saw in my post for Team of the Week, that is wrong)

deadman
15/10/2006, 8:46 PM
some one should have told george hamilton

hamilton said during his premiership commentary last night, that stephen ireland had been substituted. he obviously didn't see the team list

tetsujin1979
15/10/2006, 11:47 PM
some one should have told george hamilton

hamilton said during his premiership commentary last night, that stephen ireland had been substituted. he obviously didn't see the team list

It was Stephen Jordan who was substituted, that's what led to his mistake

green army
16/10/2006, 8:50 AM

couldnt have put it better myself.

NeilMcD
16/10/2006, 11:59 AM
Rubbish thread it is possible to be not fit for a game on a Wednesday and to be fit for the Saturday. Lots of people making inaccurate statements on this thread to be honest. If people are going to make statements about players feigning injury , get your facts right.

Irish_Praha
16/10/2006, 2:03 PM
Rubbish thread it is possible to be not fit for a game on a Wednesday and to be fit for the Saturday. Lots of people making inaccurate statements on this thread to be honest. If people are going to make statements about players feigning injury , get your facts right.

Couldn't agree more!

OwlsFan
16/10/2006, 2:25 PM

Iranitis - I like it.

geysir
16/10/2006, 5:29 PM
No comment on Iranitis. I understood that if a club withdrew a player from International duty then the National team could object to the player playing club football 3 days later.
Nevertheless, I see no harm in the FAI developing good relations with the club managers over the use of players when they are 1/2 injured or 1/2 recovered.

youngirish
16/10/2006, 5:36 PM
Hopefully Kenny can keep pulling out of Ireland games in preference for his club. He was absolutely diabolical against the Dutch and the Cypriots. 2 apps 9 goals conceeded. He hasn't a clue how to marshal his defence.

galwayhoop
17/10/2006, 3:05 PM
i always thought that hamstring injuries were ones that lasted for weeks and not days. unless they were the type of hamstring injuries that mysteriously appear just above the eyebrows when your after playing a shocker and all you want to do is go home!

BTW - iranitis - classic

Emmet
17/10/2006, 9:12 PM
As someone pointed out already the team didn't have a warm down.

A session was cancelled the following day. That is not a warm down. A warm down occurs immediately after the match and consists of a range of things - light exercise, eating certain foods. Not training the following day would have not made anyone more susceptible to an injury.