PDA

View Full Version : Best Irish Players....

patsh
26/09/2002, 8:13 AM
"DAMIEN DUFF has been judged Ireland's outstanding player at the World Cup by FIFA's technical studies group.

The Blackburn winger was identified as the most valuable player, especially when switched from a central role to his favoured left wing.
The report said: "Duff created a whole host of problems for the opposition with his dribbling and impressive pace."
Robbie Keane and Steve Staunton were also named as outstanding players for Ireland.

Ireland were described as "overall very combative and excellent in the air, good team spirit, discipline and a compact and well-organised unit".
They encountered problems when forced to dictate the tempo of the game; little variation when attacking; physically-draining game plan.

The only tactical change identified during games was the introduction of Niall Quinn with Duff moving out wide.

David Beckham has been judged one of England's outstanding players in the competition, with Fifa saying
"Beckham frequently switched his position, sometimes playing in the middle or even out wide on the left. In doing so he got away from his opposite number and was almost always in a good position to receive a pass. Almost all the set-pieces were taken by Beckham. "

1. I agree with the choice of players.
2. Mucker McCarthy and Gunther....are they the same person???..;)
2. Looking at what FIFA said about Beckham, I was obviously looking at a different tournament altogether.....

Éanna
26/09/2002, 10:20 AM
IMO, not just Ireland´s outstanding player, but the tournament´s. Duffer is one of the best players in the world right now, and he can only get better. I think he made an excellent decision to stay at blackburn, because there´s no chance of him ending up on the bench there.

As for Mick and Gunther, well at least Mick got one or two results away from home......... ;)

patsh
26/09/2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
As for Mick and Gunther, well at least Mick got one or two results away from home......... ;)
Did he??
Hmmm, I suppose you could compare Drogheda and Longford to
Cyprus and Andorra.......:D

Éanna
26/09/2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
Hmmm, I suppose you could compare Drogheda and Longford to Cyprus and Andorra.......:D
Nah, no chance, Longford´s miles better than cyprus :D

pete
26/09/2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
David Beckham has been judged one of England's outstanding players in the competition, with Fifa saying "Beckham frequently switched his position, sometimes playing in the middle or even out wide on the left. In doing so he got away from his opposite number and was almost always in a good position to receive a pass. Almost all the set-pieces were taken by Beckham. "

LOL

Just goes to show how much hype & media exposure can make even fifa think a player is world class.

When i think of world class creative players i think of guys like Zidane & Figo who can control a game. Beckham can cross the ball & is one the better freekick players & thats all.

Duff & (theres only one) Keane were our best players but thats not hard to figure out anyway...

Éanna
26/09/2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by pete
Just goes to show how much hype & media exposure can make even fifa think a player is world class.

all bin laden has to do is get rupert murdoch on his side, and he´ll have everyone thinking he´s a nice guy! :rolleyes:

Unbelieveable. I mean, of course Beckham is a talented player, but Duff (and many others) are so much better

patsh
26/09/2002, 2:33 PM
Duff & (theres only one) Keane were our best players but thats not hard to figure out anyway...
It's nice to see you forgetting and moving on pete.......:rolleyes:

The Legend
26/09/2002, 7:26 PM
Well if Duff's one of the best player's in the world...

.. when will we see a bid from Real Madrid?

Éanna
26/09/2002, 8:01 PM
Originally posted by The Legend
Well if Duff's one of the best player's in the world...

.. when will we see a bid from Real Madrid?
nah, they have Solari, Cambiasso and Guti- all left-footers capable of playing there, and Mcmanaman and Figo have both played there as well.

Éanna
26/09/2002, 8:02 PM
(theres only one) Keane

:D