PDA

View Full Version : Alan Matthews suspended till December, fined 5000

RonnieB
13/10/2006, 12:15 PM
taken from longfordtownfc.com

Longford Town FC has been informed by the Disciplinary
Committee, which convened on Wednesday last, that our manager Alan Mathews has been suspended from all football until December 31st 2006 and been fined €5,000. The club will explore all available options to overturn this decision.

:eek:

Battery Rover
13/10/2006, 12:24 PM
Rovers fined €3000 for athlone.

Anyone get the feeling the FAI are worried about the impact of Stan on their coffers.

Any link for this?

pineapple stu
13/10/2006, 12:25 PM
This is probably because Mathews was suspended for the Cork game and went along anyway, is it?

Both fines deserved, IMO.

BohsPartisan
13/10/2006, 12:26 PM
Was he suspended for being a smartarse? :D

Mr A
13/10/2006, 12:28 PM
What the hell did Matthews do, drive over Delaney's dog? Wife? Entire Family?

Mr A
13/10/2006, 12:29 PM
Was he suspended for being a smartarse?

That would be an altogether more serious matter.

Dr.Nightdub
13/10/2006, 12:46 PM
Think it's cos according to the ref's report, at full time he assaulted* the ref who sent off two Longford players and gave us two penos in the cup quarter final.

* Or words to that effect. Allegedly.

Macy
13/10/2006, 12:50 PM
Think it's cos according to the ref's report, at full time he assaulted*
Yes that's the allegation. However, I believe Matthews is considering legal action against the ref over this allegation, so probably best to leave it at that.

btw, every interview I heard after that game, Matthews blamed the players not the ref anyway.

drinkfeckarse
13/10/2006, 1:14 PM
Who's paying his fine, the club or is it suspended?? The FAI are jokers but they can't seriously expect him to pay €5000 can they? :eek:

Mr A
13/10/2006, 1:16 PM
As far as I know clubs pay all fines for players and managers.

Peadar
13/10/2006, 1:19 PM
The FAI are jokers but they can't seriously expect him to pay €5000 can they? :eek:

I expect it was the eircom League who imposed the ban and issued the fine, not that FAI.

Wonder how he'd have got on if he didn't go to TX last Friday?

fbtn
13/10/2006, 1:21 PM
Wow! Is that the largest fine they ever dished out?

Some suspension as well.

Raheny Red
13/10/2006, 1:26 PM
Who's paying his fine, the club or is it suspended?? The FAI are jokers but they can't seriously expect him to pay €5000 can they? :eek:

Well if he did assault the ref (which I heard from a daughter of a steward present at the game) and it went to court went would the outcome be?

:confused:

Dodge
13/10/2006, 1:33 PM
btw, every interview I heard after that game, Matthews blamed the players not the ref anyway.
Yeah, we (pats fans) couldn't believe how little he criticised the ref after the game. A huge departure for him I thought.

The FAI imposed it Peader as it was an FAI Cup game. Its roughly the equivalent of Jose Mourinho being fined £1.5million (based on estimated wages)

WeAreRovers
13/10/2006, 2:09 PM
Both fines deserved, IMO.

Well, that's good to know. :rolleyes:

Will there be a fine for Galway lighting flares last week? Where's Dundalk's sanction for the disgraceful scenes inside and outside Oriel the other week. Or indeed Athlone's for at least one of their fans throwing digs on the pitch after the cup game?

The lack of consistency and transparency is shocking. Record fine for Matthews and they haven't even the manners or the guts to tell us why. Rumour is it's because he played for Rovers.....

KOH

Jaime
13/10/2006, 2:20 PM
Anyone got the link to the fine Shels got for their pitch invasions at Richmond? I assume they got one? Was a league game rather than a cup game, so I assume it will be announced separately.

Dodge
13/10/2006, 2:23 PM
That was two pitch invasions BTW. Did Rovers go on the pitch once or twice?

el punter
13/10/2006, 2:30 PM
That was two pitch invasions BTW. Did Rovers go on the pitch once or twice?

Both goals and end of match

Dricky
13/10/2006, 2:35 PM
wrong item

Dodge
13/10/2006, 2:37 PM
So thats a grand a pop. So Shels should get €2k fine

Dricky
13/10/2006, 2:39 PM
I think the FAI are trying to flex their muscle now they are taking over the el. Matthews got a heafty fine, will Longford stand by him?

Sheridan
13/10/2006, 2:43 PM
Meant to say that if you are in the English Market down home in Cork there is a stall there that sell very good fresh pasta, his sauces are very good as well. Think he's still there anyway.

POTM.

I hope Matthews drew blood to earn such a gargantuan fine, because otherwise I can't imagine that his actions were any more reprehensible or damaging to the game than those of match officials whose incompetence effectively swindles punters out of the money they've
paid to watch an honest contest.

Dricky
13/10/2006, 3:16 PM
POTM.

I hope Matthews drew blood to earn such a gargantuan fine, because otherwise I can't imagine that his actions were any more reprehensible or damaging to the game than those of match officials whose incompetence effectively swindles punters out of the money they've
paid to watch an honest contest.

I know I put a lot of tought into it, pity my brain didn't do the same....

holidaysong
13/10/2006, 7:20 PM
What the hell did Matthews do, drive over Delaney's dog? Wife? Entire Family?

:D :D :D

Where's Dundalk's sanction for the disgraceful scenes inside and outside Oriel the other week.
KOH

There were no 'disgraceful scenes' inside Oriel. What happened outside on the Carrick Road is a matter for the Gardaí and not Dundalk Football Club.

Réiteoir
13/10/2006, 7:26 PM
just a friendly reminder to keep it civil if discussing the incidents at and around Oriel Park.

Thanks

Frankfurt Hoop
14/10/2006, 1:20 AM
just a friendly reminder to keep it civil if discussing the incidents at and around Oriel Park.

Thanks

As in "Civil Action"?

thomas
14/10/2006, 2:53 PM
:D :D :D

There were no 'disgraceful scenes' inside Oriel. What happened outside on the Carrick Road is a matter for the Gardaí and not Dundalk Football Club.

Indeed there were disgraceful scenes inside the ground, and outside dfc are responsible to have a security plan that works, not a rehash of a previous one that didn't work.

dcfcsteve
15/10/2006, 5:10 AM
Rovers fined €3000 for athlone.

Anyone get the feeling the FAI are worried about the impact of Stan on their coffers.

Don't be daft. The EL is hardly a cash cow for the FAI. They'd earn more than that in 30mins of merchandise sales nationwide on a Saturday afternoon before a competitive international fixture....