PDA

View Full Version : Beckham back for England?

Pauro 76
13/10/2006, 9:41 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6046372.stm

anyone else think that this is absolutely ridiculous. McLaren dropped him cos he felt he had no more to offer and to avoid the media circus. so much of the English press are demanding he return, but the guy cant even get into a Real Madrid team at the moment, and most people over here thought it was right he stepped down as captain. when was the last time he had a good game, never mind tournament?

drinkfeckarse
13/10/2006, 10:15 AM
Beckham isn't the answer. England need players than can do something different and go past a player. They are far too predictable.

Rooney needs to be firing on all cylinders and Gerrard should be deployed where he is best - in the centre of the park where he does his best work. You're taking away from his game by moving him to the flanks.

Wide players that can beat a man like Joe Cole, Wright-Phillips are important too. I know SWP isn't getting a game for Chelsea but that doesn't mean he can't beat a man. Flair players are what they need. Great team on paper but they don't play as a team.

Dodge
13/10/2006, 10:20 AM
Its simple really. Is Kieron Richardson or Shaun Wright Phillips better than Backham? No...

drinkfeckarse
13/10/2006, 10:25 AM
Different players though Dodge. You can't say England were any better with Beckham in the team. Fantastic passer and crosser of a ball yes but I saw him do it less and less as time went by. He can't beat a player so I don't see what bringing him back into the fold will do.

Beckhams powers were waning as much as 2 years ago IMO.

Dodge
13/10/2006, 10:46 AM
He still brings more to the team thatn most of the midfielders picked. Even in the world cup he contributed more than Gerrard or Lamapard. I think McLaren only dropped him to make a statement. "I'm in charge now and its my team!" Backfired on him IMO, particularly when Beckham said he had no problem being a part of the squad

el punter
13/10/2006, 11:10 AM
He still brings more to the team thatn most of the midfielders picked. Even in the world cup he contributed more than Gerrard or Lamapard. I think McLaren only dropped him to make a statement. "I'm in charge now and its my team!" Backfired on him IMO, particularly when Beckham said he had no problem being a part of the squad

Have to agree 100% with that. Beckham is always a threat. I thought it was foolish of McLaren to take the stance he has. He must now back track and admit making a mistake. It'll probably cost him his job.

eirebhoy
16/10/2006, 1:55 PM
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes England head coach Steve McClaren may bring back former captain David Beckham, according to reports in British newspapers.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/1014/beckhamd.html?rss

Beckham is 5/4 to play for England within the next 2 years (Ladbrokes). :eek:

feo123
23/10/2006, 5:19 PM
what do downing,phil neville,carrick,phil neville and the like offer that beckham dosnt? hes class.....

DmanDmythDledge
23/10/2006, 8:41 PM
Beckham is class. McClaren only dropped him to try and show that he has a tough man image.

joeSoap
24/10/2006, 2:18 PM
I think the truly alarming issue here is that Max Clifford, a publicist who knows nothing about football, suggests this and wham, the beeb are all over it like a rash. All credit to Max, he's done his job as a publicist for the Beckhams, but are people that gullible now, to listen to a media mogul instead of those who count.

I can't see Beckham playing for England again under McLaren. Theres too much bad blood there between them for either of them to be comfortable with each other.

Now...were Beckham to get his form back and England a new manager.....;)

drinkfeckarse
25/10/2006, 7:53 AM
what do downing,phil neville,carrick,phil neville and the like offer that beckham dosnt? hes class.....

Of course they all play on the right of midfield too don't they ;) . No one doubts Beckham is a better player than the ones mentioned so try to bring something relevent to the argument.

Lennon and Wright-Phillips are much more direct players than Beckham. Different types of players granted but that is what England need, not the same old same old.

londonirish17
06/11/2006, 1:16 PM
David Beckham or not, the English are not up to it. They are far to predictable and the WC was proof enough of that. Macca should get the sack. Never reached something with Boro (considering the amount of cash available...)
Furthermore, all top sides in the Premiership prefer to play with players from overseas which leaves England on the loosing end... and France (among others) being the winners.

DmanDmythDledge
07/06/2007, 3:07 PM
Beckham comes back, Beckham shows that he still hasn't lost it. Silenced plenty of his doubters once again.

anto1208
07/06/2007, 4:16 PM
Beckham comes back, Beckham shows that he still hasn't lost it. Silenced plenty of his doubters once again.

I allways said it was dumb dropping him from the squad , personally id play lennon out wide with becks just inside , lennon flies down the wing beats the defender but since he cant cross he lays it back to becks in the hole who whips in the cross .

I can't see Beckham playing for England again under McLaren. Theres too much bad blood there between them for either of them to be comfortable with each other.

Now...were Beckham to get his form back and England a new manager.....;)

:eek: polish up that crystal ball :D

OwlsFan
08/06/2007, 8:56 AM
The crosses for the two goals were absolute class it has to be said. It also has to be said he was playing against Estonia so we'll have to wait and see whether he can step up a gear for the games against the bigger teams, bearing in mind he was dropped by Real Madrid earlier in the season and has lost some pace.

joeSoap
08/06/2007, 9:02 AM
He might have lost some pace, but his game was never based on pace. It was, and still is all about those killer passes, crosses and free kicks, and that doesn't seem to have changed one bit.

DmanDmythDledge
08/06/2007, 11:24 AM
It also has to be said he was playing against Estonia so we'll have to wait and see whether he can step up a gear for the games against the bigger teams, bearing in mind he was dropped by Real Madrid earlier in the season and has lost some pace.
Have you seen him play at all this season? He's been in the Madrid team for the past few months and has been considered their best player this season, again.

He might have lost some pace, but his game was never based on pace. It was, and still is all about those killer passes, crosses and free kicks, and that doesn't seem to have changed one bit.
Because of this he will be able to play longer than most players and would be well able to play until he is 37/38.

drinkfeckarse
11/06/2007, 11:20 AM
Beckham did more in these 2 games than he did in the previous year or 2 in an England shirt. Still drifted inside far too much for my liking but that's being picky.

I never doubted his ability, I questioned his effectness as I don't believe he brought as much as he should have to the England team in the months before he was dropped.

He has looked like a man on a mission and fair play to him.