PDA

View Full Version : November friendly

bwagner
13/10/2006, 9:40 AM
Guys the english face the dutch on November 15th
Why dont we have a friendly that month , I know we face San Marino but surley (with respect to San Marino) we can handle playing them and and friendly game to run out the like of Kelly, Alan O' brien, mc shane etc....

They need as many games as possible!

Scotland would be nice.

eirebhoy
13/10/2006, 9:48 AM
I know the B team play Scotland on the 14th so that's a good chance to see some of the fringe players. I can't see us arranging a friendly for the Wednesday. The San Marino game is the last in Lansdowne so do we change that and arrange a new "last game"? :)

bwagner
13/10/2006, 10:11 AM
Not that it would never happen in a million years , it would be a idea to have a small tournament here involving poland , latvia and lithuainia...maybe next year and we could use the smaller parks we have like tolka and them

Dr. Ogba
13/10/2006, 10:18 AM
I know the B team play Scotland on the 14th so that's a good chance to see some of the fringe players. I can't see us arranging a friendly for the Wednesday. The San Marino game is the last in Lansdowne so do we change that and arrange a new "last game"? :)

Is the B Team match at home? Wouldn't mind catching that.

How about an England or N. Ireland "friendly" as the last match at Lansdowne...add some spice to the occasion! :o

Dodge
13/10/2006, 10:31 AM
last match in lansdowne is the FAI Cup final

B team game held in Dalymount

Jerry The Saint
13/10/2006, 10:42 AM
Staunton is like Roy Keane - he doesn't do friendlies (at least not when he can avoid them). He's already turned down the opportunity for most of the available international dates stating that he doesn't want to take players away from their clubs/the players need a rest.

Baffling stance to take from a guy who claims his main objective is to build for the future and develop young players. Not to mention the glaring need for the novice coach to gain experience and make the inevitable rookie mistakes in non-competitive matches rather than learning on the job during Euro 2008 qualification!

Dr. Ogba
13/10/2006, 10:44 AM
last match in lansdowne is the FAI Cup final

B team game held in Dalymount

Excellent...I presume the B tickets will be general sale then?

drummerboy
13/10/2006, 10:48 AM
Delaney is incapable of getting friendlies. None last month either when all the other nations were playing. If we had of played one perhaps Cyprus wouldn't have happened. The only friendly he could muster up for the U21s is a game against Luxumburg. Surely they would be better playing Wayside Celtic.

Dodge
13/10/2006, 10:52 AM
Excellent...I presume the B tickets will be general sale then?

LOL, You'll be able to pay at the gate judging by previous outings

Billsthoughts
13/10/2006, 10:59 AM
Didnt the last one not have a rake a people tryin to get into tolka at the last minute? against n Ireland?

Dr. Ogba
13/10/2006, 11:01 AM
LOL, You'll be able to pay at the gate judging by previous outings

Yeah that was a bit of a silly question alright, I'll give ye that.

To be honest I can't even remember the last B international we've had so couldn't really gauge what kind of interest there would be in it....

NeilMcD
13/10/2006, 11:26 AM
Is this not the most stupid thread in a long time. calling for a friendly the week we have a B international and a competitive game at home. As far as I know there are English league fixtures either side of it also.

In relation to the gate the Scots are going to bring about 1,000 over for the game.

Billsthoughts
13/10/2006, 11:30 AM
its not stupid. the b international is a pointless excercise. this team needs games. better the players and the manager make their mistakes in freidlies than in competitive games. the san marino games wont be much use to anyone.

NeilMcD
13/10/2006, 11:32 AM
So when does one propose that this friendly takes place. As far as I know there is English League games on the Saturday then the B International on the Tuesday and the San Marino game on the Wednesday and then more English League games on the following weekend. So if you can fit a friendly into that schedule you would be doing well.

Billsthoughts
13/10/2006, 11:35 AM
skip the b international

Emmet
13/10/2006, 11:37 AM
Staunton is like Roy Keane - he doesn't do friendlies (at least not when he can avoid them). He's already turned down the opportunity for most of the available international dates stating that he doesn't want to take players away from their clubs/the players need a rest.

Baffling stance to take from a guy who claims his main objective is to build for the future and develop young players. Not to mention the glaring need for the novice coach to gain experience and make the inevitable rookie mistakes in non-competitive matches rather than learning on the job during Euro 2008 qualification!

Please pardon my ignorance but is this actually true - has Staunton come out and said this? It would be astonishing if he did ...

NeilMcD
13/10/2006, 11:38 AM
Its already arranged and organised with the SFA of Scotland. Also our main squad will be playing on the Wednesday night so the Tuesday night B International gives a chance to those outside the first 22 to get a game. You cant expect to have players play 2 games in 2 days so who exactly would play in the frindly if its not B international playes and its not the first 22 who are on squad duty the next night.

NeilMcD
13/10/2006, 11:39 AM
Please pardon my ignorance but is this actually true - has Staunton come out and said this? It would be astonishing if he did ...

He never said such a thing. But he did turn down friendlies in June as he wanted to play fringe players but other countries wanted our first team.

Dodge
13/10/2006, 11:41 AM
Its already arranged and organised with the SFA of Scotland. Also our main squad will be playing on the Wednesday night so the Tuesday night B International gives a chance to those outside the first 22 to get a game. You cant expect to have players play 2 games in 2 days so who exactly would play in the frindly if its not B international playes and its not the first 22 who are on squad duty the next night.
Witha game the following night and the squad likely to be down to bare bones again, who exactly will play in the B game? Don't forget the last game of the LOI season is the follwing Friday (possbly sunday) Its a tarted up u21 game

NeilMcD
13/10/2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah I agree with you there, it will be interesting to see who exactly plays in the B International. It will be a good old singing match though between ourselves and the Tartan Army. My sources with them expect about 1,000 of them to make the trip over for the game.

Dodge
13/10/2006, 11:47 AM
I'm fairly sure there'll be no singing at a B game, just how it should be

NeilMcD
13/10/2006, 11:49 AM
I am fairly sure there will be Cause I will be singing at the game and I know that the scots are going to be out in force and singing for the whole game giving us stick and banter etc. Not sure about you but I would not want them to come over and win the singing match.

Dodge
13/10/2006, 11:50 AM
Couldn't give a fiddlers. Have never, ever sang at a friendly. Hopefully never will

Billsthoughts
13/10/2006, 11:51 AM
I'm fairly sure there'll be no singing at a B game, just how it should be

have you a "source" on this?
I cant think of anything more meaningless than a b international given the way selection for the first team is going...

NeilMcD
13/10/2006, 11:54 AM
Fair enough dodge each to their own and all that. I enjoy the banter between supporters especially when it will be the Scots and I am sure some of the songs and retorts from both sides should be good craic. Will also be a chance for some of the fans to catch players they dont see that often. It will be interesting to me to see who is in the squad as it is the night just before a B International and the EL finishes around then too. Its a pity that it could not be fitted in after the EL finished as there are lots of EL players who would have made the squad and team.

eirebhoy
13/10/2006, 11:56 AM
So when does one propose that this friendly takes place. As far as I know there is English League games on the Saturday then the B International on the Tuesday and the San Marino game on the Wednesday and then more English League games on the following weekend.
I actually thought the San Marino game was on the Saturday and it was another full international week. Since that's not the case then there's obviously no room for a friendly.

NeilMcD
13/10/2006, 12:00 PM
No its friendly week but we have put the San Marino game in there and done the same in Feb.

theworm2345
13/10/2006, 1:09 PM
Guys the english face the dutch on November 15th
Why dont we have a friendly that month , I know we face San Marino but surley (with respect to San Marino) we can handle playing them and and friendly game to run out the like of Kelly, Alan O' brien, mc shane etc....

They need as many games as possible!

Scotland would be nice.
I think in accordance with the International break we could only play it the Saturday before San Marino, and we probably dont want to see anyone get hurt, and lose to San Marino (your probably saying we would never lose to San Marino, but thats what they said about Cyprus)

NeilMcD
13/10/2006, 1:11 PM
Lads there are fixtures in England on the 11th of November and the 18th of November. We are playing a B international on the Tuesday and a qualifier on the Wednesday, There is no room for a friendly.

Emmet
13/10/2006, 1:15 PM
He never said such a thing. But he did turn down friendlies in June as he wanted to play fringe players but other countries wanted our first team.

Thanks Neil :)

Thunderblaster
14/10/2006, 8:57 PM
Why not a friendly away to India??:D It may give Staunton an insight on how to deal with San Marino.:eek:

Billsthoughts
16/10/2006, 11:56 AM
We should play a friendly away to Iraq. Really see who is commited or not. Players and fans alike.