PDA

View Full Version : Nally manslaughter conviction quashed

Ringo
12/10/2006, 12:11 PM
Nally manslaughter conviction quashed
12/10/2006 - 10:41:28

The Court of Criminal Appeal has quashed the conviction of Co Mayo farmer Padraig Nally, who was jailed for six years for shooting a Traveller dead on his land in 2004.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/10/12/story280666.html

osarusan
12/10/2006, 2:39 PM
Quashed - but a retrial ordered.

A retrial may well find the same verdict.

ccfcman
13/10/2006, 7:57 AM
Am I right in thinking a re-trial could quite possibley backfire at him, ending up in the 'Joy for ages or something?

Thunderblaster
14/12/2006, 7:06 PM
NEWSFLASH: Padraig Nally was found not guilty of manslaughter of John "Frog" Ward at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin this evening.

Ringo
14/12/2006, 8:44 PM
get my gun its open season.

DmanDmythDledge
14/12/2006, 8:58 PM
NEWSFLASH: Padraig Nally was found not guilty of manslaughter of John "Frog" Ward at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin this evening.
A load of bollóx. I agree that everyone has the right to self defence, but what he did went further than too far. I think he is lying about not trying to kill the intruder going by the description that he gave of the beating himself and also I believe there was history between the two men.

Ringo
14/12/2006, 9:08 PM
12 good men/women disagree

onceahoop
14/12/2006, 10:38 PM
Put yourself in his position. A 60 year old man who's in fear of his life. What was Frog Ward peeping in his back door for. I always ring the bell.

Lionel Ritchie
15/12/2006, 8:58 AM
No winners here.

One of the myths I think this case has exploded is the nonsensical notion of the "close knit rural community" we have in this country.

None of that guys neighbours gave a flying fcuk about him.

anto1208
15/12/2006, 10:45 AM
A load of bollóx. I agree that everyone has the right to self defence, but what he did went further than too far. I think he is lying about not trying to kill the intruder going by the description that he gave of the beating himself and also I believe there was history between the two men.

So what do you suggest shoot him once call an ambulance send him to hospital as soon as he is better he is back with a big gang of travellers to kill Nally for shooting him !!

i wonder how long before nally is attacked and hurt if not killed by travellers now , they have a bounty on his head and he has been attacked once allready since getting out .

i hate this phrase open season on travellers that they are using now, its not ,its open season on people breaking into your house are they suggesting that all travellers are robbers ??

Saint Tom
15/12/2006, 7:03 PM
nally was in a pub follwing his acquittal of the manslaughter of a traveller. *****************************

beautifulrock
16/12/2006, 10:28 AM
No winners here.

One of the myths I think this case has exploded is the nonsensical notion of the "close knit rural community" we have in this country.

None of that guys neighbours gave a flying fcuk about him.

Are you sure, whilst he was in jail his neighbours kep his farm going, rallied support, collected for his legal defence. Try not to comment on things you do not have a clue about.

pete
16/12/2006, 12:20 PM
I have mixed opinions on this.

Nally was originally found guilty of man slaughter but granted a new trial as originally jury did not have option to aquit. He was found not guilty in 2nd trial. Thats the end of it unless the state appeals (very unlikely).

I could accept the verdict if Nally was 'out of his mind' or temporarily insane because he feared for his life so much. However basically killing someone when they no longer a threat seems different. Killing someone because he may come back tomorrow would set a nasty precedent in law.

Nally interview on the steps of the court was good though. He seemed genuinely upset & just wanted to get home & end the tragedy all around.

DmanDmythDledge
17/12/2006, 10:40 PM
So what do you suggest shoot him once call an ambulance send him to hospital as soon as he is better he is back with a big gang of travellers to kill Nally for shooting him !!
So you don't think he took it too far? Sure he only killed him- it's no big deal.:rolleyes:

Concerning your second point you said yourself such a thing could happen after what has happened.

Lionel Ritchie
18/12/2006, 9:58 AM
Are you sure, whilst he was in jail his neighbours kep his farm going, rallied support, collected for his legal defence. Try not to comment on things you do not have a clue about.

Where were all these neighbours when the guy was sitting in cat like readiness at his window, scared of his own shadow? He's said as much himself. None of them appear to have so much as phoned the guy to check he was alright up there ...why bother? -sure that's why we've postmen.:rolleyes:

His neighbours only got involved after the fact, when it could be argued they'd a more pressing vested interest in his predicament, despite their knowing the state he was in and that he'd been burgled before.

jebus
18/12/2006, 10:41 AM

By that logic if I got into a fight with a scumbag downtown I may as well kill him because the scumbag might come after me with some of his mates, sure it's only self protection. What next I get to stab some guy on a bus for looking at me strangely? Nally's a murderer and should have been chucked in jail, all this case will do is possibly open the floodgates of the 'what can you/can't you do' to protect your property, a discussion none of us should go the road of

Dodge
18/12/2006, 9:18 PM
Yeah, killing people is definitely the way to go

Sheridan
18/12/2006, 9:22 PM
I've read (and written) a lot of ill-considered balderdash on here in my time, but I never thought anyone would stoop so low as to actively advocate what amounts to genocide.

sligoman
18/12/2006, 9:28 PM
Delighted for Nally. Totally deserved to get off!

Thunderblaster
19/12/2006, 7:57 PM
I'm delighted for Padraig Nally with what he had to go through living in fear in his own home. Mr. Ward had no reason whatsoever to be near the house. In his acquittal, Nally may become a symbol for the far right movement.

Monkfish
21/12/2006, 1:42 AM
Any **** that tries to take whats not theirs deserve everything they get, the sooner the left wing/student/liberal population wake up to certain facts in this country the better! sorry mr jebus, i know you had your heart set on this but if you ask me Mr Nally should be given an honoury lifetime membership to the NRA, (not the one which plans roads through peoples homes btw)

GuisaSaigon
21/12/2006, 12:08 PM
Just heard that Nally is now looking for his gun back "for protection".
according to the indo........
The single-barrel hunting piece, once owned by his late father, Patrick, dates from the 1930s and was used by both Patrick and later Padraig, to shoot vermin on the farm.

osarusan
21/12/2006, 12:45 PM
Any **** that tries to take whats not theirs deserve everything they get, the sooner the left wing/student/liberal population wake up to certain facts in this country the better!

Anybody who steals deserves to be shot dead?

Is that what you mean?

And what are the facts that leftwing people like me have to wake up to?

First
21/12/2006, 12:58 PM

Is that what you mean?

Its good to be leftwing if the right wing condone............

NeilMcD
21/12/2006, 2:59 PM
As far as I know the punishment for robbery or breaking and entering is not the death penalty. What this ruling says is that it is ok to kill a person who is breaking into your house.

osarusan
21/12/2006, 3:06 PM
As far as I know the punishment for robbery or breaking and entering is not the death penalty. What this ruling says is that it is ok to kill a person who is breaking into your house.

To be more accurate, I think it may be legally ok to kill a person who breaks into your house if you feel that your life is in danger.

What this ruling says is that you can kill somebody who is moving away from you and no threat to you at all.

pete
21/12/2006, 3:10 PM
What this ruling says is that you can kill somebody who is moving away from you and no threat to you at all.

More accurately I think this could set precedent that acceptable to kill someone who may be a threat to you in the future. IMO an unpolicable situation that needs legislation.

Monkfish
21/12/2006, 10:36 PM
Ever been in a life or death situation? does anyone have any idea what it feels like when the adrenillen hits you like a train? Once the fight started all reason went out the window. Im sure Mr Nally would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. (i certainly would) If there was a few more cases simular to this maybe the vermin that walk our streets might think twice about taking someone elses property, extreme? yes! but whats the alternitive in this country? a suspended sentence it seems.

Monkfish
21/12/2006, 10:45 PM

Is that what you mean?

1. If somone steals food because there starving then thats a different story, somehow i dont think that was the case, afterall how do you cook a chainsaw?
2. The realities of certain groups who contribute nothing to society, and who just take take take.

Dodge
21/12/2006, 10:55 PM
Ever been in a life or death situation? does anyone have any idea what it feels like when the adrenillen hits you like a train?
Any evidence to suggest hewas in a life or death situation? Was ward armed?

Monkfish
22/12/2006, 12:43 AM
Any evidence to suggest hewas in a life or death situation? Was ward armed?

Unarmed combat can still be fatal, plently of people have been beaten to death without the aid of a weapon.

Dodge
22/12/2006, 2:23 AM
So you think Ward would've killed Nally?

Monkfish
22/12/2006, 3:20 AM
Its possible in any fight.

Dodge
22/12/2006, 3:33 AM
Its possible in any fight.

And its possible he broke in to give him a hug. :rolleyes:

Student Mullet
22/12/2006, 3:42 AM
And its possible he broke in to give him a hug. :rolleyes:Where I disagree with this line of thinking is that it's very heavy on hindsight. Nally was put in a stressfull situation and made a bad decision. The bulk of the blame should lie with Frog Ward for putting him into that situation.

Monkfish
22/12/2006, 5:29 AM
The way i see it is, Mr Nally was defending himself and his property,( an elderly man living alone in the country who was robbed before btw) he didnt choose to be in a situation we're a fatality can occur (unless of course your the type of person who hands over their posessions freely to scum) he unlike a lot of people fought back, maybe went a bit far, but given the circumstances its understandable, and hes done more than enough time in jail for it.

nedder
22/12/2006, 8:37 AM
So you think Ward would've killed Nally?

I'll bet Nally thought he would...
I don't think he needed to shoot the guy when he was running away, but put it this way, If i got the upperhand on a knacker who was breaking into my house, I'd be making sure he couldn't get back up to have another go at me...

Dodge
22/12/2006, 8:56 AM
I'll bet Nally thought he would...

But he didn't the last time. Nothing happened in between to make him think it'd be different ths time. I'm not trying to make apologies for Ward but you can't allow people to kill others because they MIGHT do something bad. That'd lead to every single shooting defendant using that same excuse

anto1208
22/12/2006, 10:38 AM
But he didn't the last time. Nothing happened in between to make him think it'd be different ths time. I'm not trying to make apologies for Ward but you can't allow people to kill others because they MIGHT do something bad. That'd lead to every single shooting defendant using that same excuse

There is no might about it Ward WAS doing something bad and deserved to be killed .

To avoid getting shot by farmers dont break into there homes simple rule that has helped me not get shot for the last 28 years .

pete
22/12/2006, 10:43 AM
There is no might about it Ward WAS doing something bad and deserved to be killed .

We really have inherited the US shot first & ask questions later mentality.

I think its reasonable to suggest that Ward would return to rob Nally again. I haven't found any evidence that Nally was physically harmed or would be in future. Surely the fact that Nally shot Ward would be enough of a message for him not to return. I can only see that Nally killed Ward to protect the future robbery of his possessions.

jebus
22/12/2006, 12:31 PM
Unarmed combat can still be fatal, plently of people have been beaten to death without the aid of a weapon.

But then should every fight not end in one person killing the other? Lets say I'm walking home from the pub tonight, should I be allowed to murder him? I could say that I thought my life was in danger. I agree on stricter jail sentences for burglers and muggers, but saying that it's okay to allow one person the decide what level of danger he was in to provoke that person into killing someone else flies a bit too far into the right-wing for me.

Oddly this discussion reminds me of one on whether or not it's okay for America to attack whatever country it wants on the grounds that the 'whatever country' might attack them, don't know why, but it does.