PDA

View Full Version : The Smith Vrs. Oasis Vrs. The Stone Roses

Pages : [1] 2

an_ceannaire
12/10/2006, 11:44 AM
Theres one lads!! Three Irish/British bands. Three BRILLIANT groups. 3 leaders of real pure music at its best. But who would come out on top!! I love them all, but for the genius of Moz alone i would have to go with The Smiths, Just!!!!

Billsthoughts
12/10/2006, 11:46 AM
the Stone roses.......
best Ireland thread ever.....

The Swordsman
12/10/2006, 11:46 AM
When are these matches taking place??

an_ceannaire
12/10/2006, 11:48 AM
Next Feburary, i believe Liam and Noel are in training as we speak, Johnny Marr was seen in total fitness up the Dublin mountains last week and Mani and Ian Brown are to be seem jogging through phibsboro most tuesdays around 5

galwayhoop
12/10/2006, 11:49 AM
and this has what to do with football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

an_ceannaire
12/10/2006, 11:52 AM
Music and football are completely intertwined in society these days :) bit like sex and drugs! If i was English i would wanna be a Manc! Even tho i am an Evertonian and a Shels man!!! Smiths brought me as much true joy and happiness as any of Tony Sheridans moments of flah in the pan genius!!

BohsPartisan
12/10/2006, 11:56 AM
The Roses. Then the Smiths. Then My Bloody Valentine.

Oasis are just a pub band compared to those three.

el punter
12/10/2006, 11:56 AM
Smiths brought me as much true joy and happiness...

Ah yes, the irrepresible cheer that lingers for hours having absorbed the lyrics of Morrissey. :)

The Smiths were certainly the most original of the three anyway.

an_ceannaire
12/10/2006, 11:57 AM
Any one who pens a tune of the quality of Live Forever is no Pub Band my friend, but ya Smiths are superior.....just....!

Soper
12/10/2006, 11:59 AM
The Smiths, and no one else.

Billsthoughts
12/10/2006, 11:59 AM
How sad are some people that they couldnt just ignore the thread? It breaks their heart that its in the wrong section....and i'm talkin bout you neil!
rroses...roses.....................roooooooooooses ......

noby
12/10/2006, 12:05 PM
Oasis aren't fit to lace the boots of the other two.

Risteard
12/10/2006, 12:53 PM
Why?
Do they've Parkinsons or something?

cheifo
12/10/2006, 12:56 PM
The Stone Roses, love spreads what a track.

BohsPartisan
12/10/2006, 1:06 PM
Any one who pens a tune of the quality of Live Forever is no Pub Band my friend, but ya Smiths are superior.....just....!

One Swallow doesn't make a summer.

gustavo
12/10/2006, 1:15 PM
One Swallow doesn't make a summer.

Supersonic
Slide Away
Cigarettes and Alcohol
Bring it on Down
Morning Glory
Wonderwall
Dont Look Back in Anger
Acquiesce
The Masterplan
Stand By Me
Dyou know what I mean
Dont Go Away
Sunday Morning Call
Gas Panic
Hindu Times
Born on a Different Cloud
Mucky Fingers

all classics IMO

Neish
12/10/2006, 1:15 PM
The Stone Roses then The smiths. There are several Manc bands I would put before oasis, Joy Division, The Buzzcocks, The Happy Mondays & The Fall to name but a few.

Oasis have two decent albums(What's The Story Morning Glory & Definitely Maybe) after that maybe 5 good songs. They don't get a look in with any of the above mentioned bands

gustavo
12/10/2006, 1:17 PM
The Stone Roses then The smiths. There are several Manc bands I would put before oasis, Joy Division, The Buzzcocks, The Happy Mondays & The Fall to name but a few.

Oasis have two decent albums(What's The Story Morning Glory & Definitely Maybe) after that maybe 5 good songs.Don't get a look in with any of the above mentioned bands

I think they have had 2 classic albums , one very good album one decent album and two okish albums But then again i've bought them all which i am guessing you arent basing your opinion on.

First
12/10/2006, 1:21 PM
The Stone Roses , enough said , close thread:D

Macy
12/10/2006, 1:25 PM
Out of the three, order would be the Roses, Smiths and then Oasis. But Oasis would be behind all the above, plus Ian Browns solo work, Black Grape and New Order. Can we we squeeze in Mani era Primal Scream to the Manc band list too? :D

Oasis have two decent albums(What's The Story Morning Glory & Definitely Maybe) after that maybe 5 good songs.
One brilliant album (Definitely Maybe), one okay one (Morning Glory) and several utter crap ones.

noby
12/10/2006, 2:30 PM
I think they have had 2 classic albums , one very good album one decent album and two okish albums But then again i've bought them all which i am guessing you arent basing your opinion on.
People can have a valid opinion without buying all their albums, so let's not be getting our knickers in a twist. And the likes of 'Dyou know what I mean' is far from a classic in my book.

gustavo
12/10/2006, 2:35 PM
fair enough but do you know an album is crap without listening to it?

an_ceannaire
12/10/2006, 2:35 PM
1. Girlfriend in Acoma
2. There is a light that never goes out
3. Panic
4. Frankly Mr. Shankley
5. Shoplifters of the World

But as GREAT as those songs are, Mozza's solo effort "Everyday is like Sunday" take the An Ceannaire award for greatest song of all time
Is both Emotional and Humourous, Sarcastic and serious, a true work of pure Manc genius from the boy with a thorn in his side

BohsPartisan
12/10/2006, 2:36 PM
Supersonic
Slide Away
Cigarettes and Alcohol
Bring it on Down
Morning Glory
Wonderwall
Dont Look Back in Anger
Acquiesce
The Masterplan
Stand By Me
Dyou know what I mean
Dont Go Away
Sunday Morning Call
Gas Panic
Hindu Times
Born on a Different Cloud
Mucky Fingers

all classics IMO

So they're a good pub band.
I like DM and some of WTSMG but after that its just re-hash after re-hash. My point was that compared to the others they are a pub band. The Roses first album and the Smiths stuff, pluss the likes of My Bloody Valentine, Mondays, Joy Division, New Order etc. had some originality about them.
Oasis are a very good covers band.

Cigarettes and Alcohol - Bang a gong - T Rex
Shakermaker - I'd like to teach the world to sing - The New Seekers
Morning Glory - This one goes out to the one I love - REM
Dont Look Back in Anger - Very like John Lennon/Beatles
The Masterplan - Bodyform add/never forget - Take That :eek:

I wouldn't call any of the others classics by any means. Supersonic and Live Forever perhaps.

noby
12/10/2006, 2:54 PM
fair enough but do you know an album is crap without listening to it?
Yes. If it has Oasis written on the front (joke).

I own(ed) the first couple of albums, borrowed the next one or two, and by that stage lost interest, but still heard the singles. I grew very tired of them very quickly, after loving the debut. Maybe I'd have grown tired of the roses if they plodded along for ten years, or maybe I'd apprecaite Oasis more if they imploded after the second album. Who knows?

The Good Son
12/10/2006, 2:55 PM

And of course Slaughter And The Dogs.

Drumcondra Red
12/10/2006, 2:57 PM
Easily Stone Roses, didn't like the Smith at all!!!

noby
12/10/2006, 2:59 PM
BohsPartisan, in Oasis's defence, blatant ripping off of other material does not make you a bad band. Just ask Mr. Ryder & Co.
Some of the songs you listed there are amongst their best.

noby
12/10/2006, 3:04 PM
1. Girlfriend in Acoma
2. There is a light that never goes out
3. Panic
4. Frankly Mr. Shankley
5. Shoplifters of the World

But as GREAT as those songs are, Mozza's solo effort "Everyday is like Sunday" take the An Ceannaire award for greatest song of all time
Is both Emotional and Humourous, Sarcastic and serious, a true work of pure Manc genius from the boy with a thorn in his side
Wow. A top five with 'Frankly...' in it.

1. Headmaster's ritual
2. William it was really nothing
3. Hand in glove
4. Panic
5. How soon is now?
6. There is a light...

an_ceannaire
12/10/2006, 3:06 PM
Wow. A top five with 'Frankly...' in it.

1. Headmaster's ritual
2. William it was really nothing
3. Hand in glove
4. Panic
5. How soon is now?
6. There is a light...

Not a fan of "Frankly" Noby?
Love it!

noby
12/10/2006, 3:09 PM
I think it's a great little ditty that fits in well in the context of the album, but far from my top five.
It's ok, you make up for it with your ""Everyday is like Sunday" greatest song of all time" claim.

BohsPartisan
12/10/2006, 3:11 PM
Cemetry Gates is one of my fav Smiths songs along with there is a light.

an_ceannaire
12/10/2006, 3:22 PM
A Smiths top 5 is damn near impossible
every time u think u have the definitive top 5 u think, oh hang on, what about.....i dunno....Some girls are bigger, or How Soon is now or even Shiela take a bow
as for greatest lyric of all time
"why pamper lifes complexity, when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat"
but it has to be sung properly! Dont murder it, make love to it!!!!

el punter
12/10/2006, 4:00 PM
Inspiral Carpets anyone?

Some great tunes there in my opinion

Neish
12/10/2006, 9:02 PM
Out of the three, order would be the Roses, Smiths and then Oasis. But Oasis would be behind all the above, plus Ian Browns solo work, Black Grape and New Order. Can we we squeeze in Mani era Primal Scream to the Manc band list too? :D .

Forgot about Primal Scream and agree also the New Order & Ian Borwn's solo work would also be high above oasis. Havn't heard a lot of Black Grape stuff TBH

Neish
12/10/2006, 9:03 PM
Inspiral Carpets anyone?

Again only heard a few of their songs, but what I heard was good

beautifulrock
12/10/2006, 9:08 PM
[
One brilliant album (Definitely Maybe), one okay one (Morning Glory) and several utter crap ones.[/QUOTE]

decent live for anyone that seen their Finsbury Park gig a few years back in the pouring rain

noby
13/10/2006, 9:32 AM
Inspiral Carpets anyone?

I was afraid to mention them in the context of Manchester in case Macy would jump in and tell us they're actually from Oldham or something. Great band. I should really get some more of their stuff. Life is still a great album. Other than that I only have a few singles/ep's and the singles comp.

Pauro 76
13/10/2006, 9:35 AM
if your talking lyrics, the Smiths would win by a good way. But musically Stone Roses... first album class, second one, mostly great, unfairly slated. Oasis dont even feature, although Definitely Maybe a classic.

razor
13/10/2006, 10:36 AM
Ah yes, the irrepresible cheer that lingers for hours having absorbed the lyrics of Morrissey. :)Correct, Moz is the most humourous lyricist ever. All the talk of him and The Smiths being depressing is rubbish, maybe its only the fans that see the humour but hey. I am.
I think it was Bono who said Morrissey was the funniest lyricist he had ever heard. While I also possess most of the other bands albums its The Smiths for me. Oasis get a rough ride sometimes but they must be up there with the greats.

BohsPartisan
13/10/2006, 10:41 AM
Correct, Moz is the most humourous lyricist ever. All the talk of him and The Smiths being depressing is rubbish,

Spot on.

Magicme
13/10/2006, 10:51 AM
Stone Roses will always be my number one. Wouldnt be mad into the Smiths but appreciate them like a fine wine that I dont want to drink too often.

Was listening to Ian Brown bout 5 mins b4 i spotted this thread.

As for Oasis....one of the most laughably poor gigs I ever saw was them tryin to be cool & rockstar like while catawauling at Slane supporting REM. Michael Franti & Spearhead were the kings of the castle that day!

I kinda liked blackgrape at first but there is a very childish almost novelty value to them that bored me after a while. Mondays were way and above that incarnation.

Primal Scream are also on my top 5 bands of all time list.

1. Stone Roses
2. Radiohead
3. Primal Scream
4. FYC
5. Rolling Stones

Macy
13/10/2006, 10:53 AM
I was afraid to mention them in the context of Manchester in case Macy would jump in and tell us they're actually from Oldham or something.
It's them that claim to be Oldham, I'd be happy to claim them as a Manchester band as they're excellent. At the very least Manchester based, so in which case add The Charlatans as another band better than Oasis (with no great quality fall away with their longevity either).

Excellent call on Slaughter and the Dogs, Wythenshaw's finest.

Niesh, check out Black Grape's "It's Great When You're Straight - Yeah". Really is a class album.

Marked Man
13/10/2006, 8:35 PM
Correct, Moz is the most humourous lyricist ever. .

He's given me the odd laugh alright, but Mark E. Smith and Frank Zappa blow him out of the water. Not to mention the chap who writes the lyrics for Half Man Half Biscuit.

holidaysong
13/10/2006, 9:03 PM
The Smiths with The Stone Roses being a very close second!

Anto McC
13/10/2006, 9:47 PM
The Smiths

BohsPartisan
14/10/2006, 9:56 AM
1. Stone Roses
2. Radiohead
3. Primal Scream
4. FYC
5. Rolling Stones

The thread was about Manc bands. Though good call on FYC, I thought I was the only one who liked them.

Magicme
15/10/2006, 2:15 PM
The thread was about Manc bands. Though good call on FYC, I thought I was the only one who liked them.

Had 2 great nites out in the old Hot Press Hall of Fame venue (now Spirit) watching Roland Gift doing two solo gigs....met the man, got photos with him & more importantly a kiss from him...swooon!) and got all my FYC albums, videos etc signed....a legend.

I wasnt talking just Mancs bands they were my top bands of all times!

BohsPartisan
15/10/2006, 2:19 PM
Don't know where I'd begin with top bands of all time.

jebus
17/10/2006, 3:38 PM
Stone Roses over the Smiths any day of the week. Morrissey and the Smiths should only be played with certain moods, or at certain times, Ian Brown and the Stone Roses can be played all day every day in my book and you'd never get sick of them. Plus there's something not quite right with a man who can stay celibate for so long. Anyway top 10 Manc bands of all time in my opinion:

1. Stone Roses
2. The Smiths
3. New Order
4. Oasis
5. Joy Division
6. The Buzzcocks
7. The Fall
8. Inspiral Carpets
9. Happy Mondays
10. James

with nods of appreciation going to Take That!! :eek: