PDA

View Full Version : Lee Carsley's role now?

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2006, 10:27 AM
I hope Staunton dose'nt go back into 4 year plan mode and go with "youth" only policy. I advise everybody on the board to watch the game again today if they have it taped. Carsley's contribution was immense. His distribution. The tone (tackling) he set early in the game. He never stopped shouting instructions. He looked and played like the real captain. And he reminded me of someone who used to play that role! If he continues to play well at Everton then he deserves to be in the starting 11 for Ireland. He is still only 32 and another 2 years of top form would be great for Ireland and Staunton. And I hope Staunton realises that now.

NeilMcD
12/10/2006, 10:50 AM
Tottally agree the best way that Douglas, Miller, Ireland etc will learn is by playing in front of Carsley and Mc Shane and and Dunne and O Shea will be much better off with Carsley in front of him.

Poor Student
12/10/2006, 10:55 AM
Why are you mentioning Miller along with youngsters like Ireland and Douglas? He's almost 26!

kingp35
12/10/2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah Carsley should be in the team until the end of this qualifying campaign anyway as he will teach the up and coming players like Douglas, Joey O' Brien etc alot about the game.

macdermesser
12/10/2006, 11:03 AM
captain?

Dr. Ogba
12/10/2006, 11:17 AM
Why are you mentioning Miller along with youngsters like Ireland and Douglas? He's almost 26!

Why are you mentioning Douglas as a youngster, sure he's nearly 25! :p

blobbyblob
12/10/2006, 11:19 AM
He was a general in the middle last night. Kept talking the whole way through and how did he get a yellow card for the best tackle of the night.

an_ceannaire
12/10/2006, 11:54 AM
is Carsley the new Keano? :) Number 6 and ALL!!!

BohsPartisan
12/10/2006, 11:57 AM
captain?

Definitely. Should be taken off Robbie Keane at any rate.

el punter
12/10/2006, 12:07 PM
Building for the future is a pure nonsense spin to attempt to excuse forthcoming poor results. International football is about winning every competitive game. Who on earth could be satisfied watching anything other than their nation's best available XI representing them in non-friendlies?

DmanDmythDledge
12/10/2006, 11:06 PM
Carsley should stay in the team. Best performance from a CM I've seen in a green shirt in a long time. Also, every team needs a good mix of experienced players and younger players.

Qwerty
12/10/2006, 11:31 PM
make him captain :)

Soper
12/10/2006, 11:47 PM
It's like the oppostion were unable to get the ball through the middle because we had a proper central midfield, instead of with O'Shea and Kilbane when the opposition get through easily, and there is little attacking contribution from them.

Poor Student
13/10/2006, 7:00 AM
Why are you mentioning Douglas as a youngster, sure he's nearly 25! :p

Touché.:D

Paddy Garcia
13/10/2006, 12:23 PM
Carsley omission was “incredible” – Everton boss

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=24889

Stuttgart88
13/10/2006, 12:25 PM
Carsley omission was “incredible” - 2.1 million Irish fans worldwide :)

Block G Raptor
13/10/2006, 2:56 PM
Carsley For captain?

Poll Anyone?

First
13/10/2006, 3:04 PM
Carsley for Ireland , Everton for the Irish and a pint of Heineken after work

Donal81
13/10/2006, 5:26 PM
If he wants that central midfield role, he can have it. No one else has stepped up and Kilbane, O'Shea and Kavanagh have had more than enough chances.

A few years ago, there was no need for Carsley. With Keane, Kinsella, Holland and Steven Reid knocking about, I didn't see what he brought to the table. And until the last few games - when it became clear that our midfielders had forgotten their bite - he's the best man for our central midfield.

I don't think Carsley is the future and he has plenty of limitations. I'm delighted for the bloke that he's played his way back into the team but it doesn't say much for the likes of O'Shea and Kavanagh that they can't play a holding midfield role to an average level. Carsley played well the other night but did nothing that your average Premiership side wouldn't expect every weekend - a lot of running, marking and hard tackling. O'Shea is a lightweight, fair enough, but what of Kavanagh and Kilbane?

Paddy Garcia
13/10/2006, 5:39 PM
but what of Kavanagh and Kilbane?

Kilbane is not a central midfielder so why would you expect him to fulfil that role. Played in his usual position on Wednesday he performed very well.

Kavanagh has never performed over an extened period at the top flight. He has spent his career across the top three divisions in England. It's also therefore unreasonable to expect him to do what an average premiership side would expect every weekend.

highlight100
13/10/2006, 6:13 PM
Carsley omission was “incredible” - 2.1 million Irish fans worldwide :)

Carsley omission "incredible" - 500,000 Cyprus fans

Donal81
15/10/2006, 4:21 PM
Kilbane is not a central midfielder so why would you expect him to fulfil that role. Played in his usual position on Wednesday he performed very well.

Kavanagh has never performed over an extened period at the top flight. He has spent his career across the top three divisions in England. It's also therefore unreasonable to expect him to do what an average premiership side would expect every weekend.

Kavanagh was playing in midfield with a Wigan team storming up the Premiership last year, wasn't he? This form didn't manifest itself in a green shirt.

I would have thought Kilbane had it in him somewhere to have a go at playing the deep central midfielder, considering he's played in the middle plenty of times.

Qwerty
16/10/2006, 2:18 AM
I tip my hat to Lee. Here is a 31-yr old English-born Irishman - please take note plastic paddy knockers - who really wants to play for Ireland. At 31 playing for Ireland isn't going to do his club career any good and may even work against him in getting a contract extension.

He retired as he wasn't playing regular first team football, now that he is back playing for Everton and he clearly sees that he is needed by Ireland - even if the manager doesn't realize it - he has made himself available. He is a Kilbane type player, only better. I think he should be a key player for us during this campaign. He is also a very fit fella and I can see him being around for the WC campaign as well.

dr_peepee
16/10/2006, 7:18 AM
I think it was a bit more to do with personal reason as to why he retired in the first place.

Pity Reid got injured. Would have been nice to see them in the middle together.

Paddy Garcia
16/10/2006, 7:51 AM
Kavanagh was playing in midfield with a Wigan team storming up the Premiership last year, wasn't he? This form didn't manifest itself in a green shirt.

I would have thought Kilbane had it in him somewhere to have a go at playing the deep central midfielder, considering he's played in the middle plenty of times.

About ten years ago Kavanagh made a few appearances in the top flight for Middlesborough. You are correct, in the 05/06 season he played in the top flight for Wigan and did well. However, not well enough that Wigan wanted to keep him and just 500k was enough to prise him away. In between he was out of the top flight: roughly 9/10ths of his career. I therefore think that it is slightly unreasonable to expect him to do what "an average premiership midfielder would do" - as he is not one now & has not spent much time playing at that level either.

Kilbane has played central midfield before, notably to fill in for us. Like most wide players you get the best from him by playing him in his own position. He showed what he can do there against the Czechs.

Closed Account 2
16/10/2006, 8:16 AM
I think it was a bit more to do with personal reason as to why he retired in the first place.

Yep, I think one of his kids had a serious heath problem... I don't think he wanted to retire but felt he had to in light of that - which in my opinion is totally understandable.

I think his retirement is/was different to the likes of Kiely, Carr etc.

antrimgreen
16/10/2006, 8:44 AM
Lee Carsley's was fantastic in the centre, he played with passion and dedication for the cause, never once avioding a tackle and basically bossing the game. If he doesn't start next game Staunton needs not only sacked but shot.