Never thought I'd be cheering for Bray!
Even a draw would keep us second.

Peadar
23/09/2002, 8:42 PM
Latest from Richmond
St Pat's Ath 1-2 Bray Wdrs
Foley 59 Forysth 2
Byrne 86

No sooner had I posted and they scored again.
Come on you seagulls.

Peadar
23/09/2002, 9:06 PM
What a result.
That keeps us two points clear in second.
Let's take all three points at Tolka and then show St Pat's that we're a different side at Turners Cross.

Counting Crow
23/09/2002, 9:31 PM
Dead right Peadar.

Great result. Despite the poor form away, the results around the League are really going for us. Pat's losing 2 games after beating us just shows it ain't over yet.

What City need now is a motivator in the dressing room aka. Keane, Ferguson, ( or, dare I say, Grer Loughnane - how come those GAA types can get themselves "UP" for games ).

City should come out of the Tolka dressing rooms taking the door off the hinges after these results. What a chance to put things right ..... and get in a good frame of mind for the Cup match on the 4th.

This will really be an oportunity for the leaders in the squad to step up to the bar and lead the young guys to great things.

Counting Crow
23/09/2002, 9:34 PM
..........by the way, I heard tonight that Pat's were complaining that they had to play 4 games in 11 days ( 3 of them in Dublin ).

What about us having to play 4 games in 9 days ( 1 in Donegal & 1 in Dublin )?

My heart bleeds for them..........not!

Dricky
24/09/2002, 8:20 AM
Even if Pats won they would complain, I've lost all respect for that club after last year and now at u21 mess with players.

Who F*ck ate all the pies

patsh
24/09/2002, 8:29 AM
Agree with a few posts already. City should get a lift from this result and get it into their heads that they are going to beat $hels.
Totally positive frame of mind, totally focused for the 90 minutes, and accept nothing but a win.
Armagh won the All-Ireland by refusing to accept defeat, Gunther has to get the same mental attitude instilled into the player's heads.

pete
24/09/2002, 9:47 AM
Was the 4-1 a freak result or have Pats eased off since?

I don't think anyone would have predicted Pats to lose to the bottom 2 teams just after whipping city 4-1.

Hecko
24/09/2002, 9:48 AM
Got to agree with Dricky. I used to like Pats ove rthe oter jackeen teams cos they have a local support but i'm fed up listening ot their whinging ... and Richmond's now just as full of little scumbags as Dalyer or wherever Rovers are.

If teh lads are a bit better rested we can still fo it on Friday - lets make sure there's a huge city following and that we roar the lads on. it was great to see so many fans standing up when they were coming off at Richmond, if we get behind them on Friday we can close it to two (Rovers have to win sometime) :p

dalo
24/09/2002, 9:52 AM
Originally posted by pete
Was the 4-1 a freak result or have Pats eased off since?

I don't think anyone would have predicted Pats to lose to the bottom 2 teams just after whipping city 4-1.

the fact that bray and ucd can beat pat's makes you wonder what is going on with ccfc at all. we should be jumping out of our skins when we play shels. they aren't a very good team and are well beatable. then again so were longford

i wonder though if city have the bottle. i doubt it:confused:

i was also chatting to a lad in work whose family are all derry fc nuts. they feel hard done by having to play the game on friday and he said the team will be so motivated next week we will have a fight on our hands. i can't believe how complacent many city fans are about the cup game:mad:

Hecko
24/09/2002, 10:06 AM
recknon you're right about us having to be more cautious about Derry, but if you loook at the way the league is going - we hammered Derry and Bray at home (Derry could have been 4 or 5 easily) and then they go and beat Pats deservingly (twice for Derry). everyone is capable of beating everyone else and I think Bohs will start to drop points soon. The Dublin derbies can really help us too. The real question is if we have the belief or not, I'm not confident we do, but you have to hope...$hel$ 0-2 City O'Flynn and Mulligan

Dricky
24/09/2002, 10:20 AM
I think the difference between Bohs, CCFC and $hels is the manager, CCFC and $hels have a good group of players who can all play football what we lack and what bohs have is a manager who can use the players as a team, Stephen Kenny is why they are top, $hels are at their weakest and we have to prove that we can travel that from the begining of this year we should what el footie is all about and that we are going to challange for everything, the only thing I think is in our favour (regardless of Gunther) is that Bohs have been building that team for years, and have put so much money into it they have got some fans back and they deserve credit for their work rovers went down the same path as bohs and the are near ruin, $hels are just a toy to ollie. To beat $hels away is a test we can't afford fail, it will show if the pats result was as a result of to many matches or of Gunthers lack of foresight or of our hopes rising to quick. Our club is going forward and thankfully bringing the fans with it, look at the age or the team the future is ours.........................if we can get someone with the skills of S Kenny. those type of managers are the future for our club.

dalo
24/09/2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Dricky
at the age or the team the future is ours.........................if we can get someone with the skills of S Kenny. those type of managers are the future for our club.

there is only one stephen kenny but you must remember he still has to win anything and he did lose to dundalk in the cup final. hardly outstanding manager material if you applying the same criteria that you apply to gunther

what i like to know is who do you think should take over?

Éanna
24/09/2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
What City need now is a motivator in the dressing room
nah, we need a manager in the dressing room- a proper one

dalo
24/09/2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Éanna

nah, we need a manager in the dressing room- a proper one

who though? don't say stephen kenny please

Éanna
24/09/2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by dalo
who though? don't say stephen kenny please

yer man Bobby Browne from monaghan might be a good bet.

dalo
24/09/2002, 11:47 AM

yer man Bobby Browne from monaghan might be a good bet.

any relation to james browne:D yeah monaghan real high flyers.

cmon eanna you can do better than that:D

Dricky
24/09/2002, 1:12 PM
Well I don't think Rico is the man and Stephan Kenny is at bohs, I hear Bobby Robson might be retiring hmmmmm.....

Kerr would be worth the money if he could be convinced to do it.

Neil
24/09/2002, 1:29 PM
I've always said Don O'Riordan...

Éanna
24/09/2002, 5:31 PM
Originally posted by dalo
yeah monaghan real high flyers.

I think anyone who got monaghan out of division one desrerves a lot of credit! don o´riordan also an option, as he´s always been

James
24/09/2002, 10:30 PM
Rico's the man
:)

Schumi
25/09/2002, 10:01 AM
He'd up programme sales anyway. Who wouldn't want to read his manager's notes!

dalo
25/09/2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by James
Rico's the man
:)

sorry lads not very inspiring choices really. don o'riordan and bobby browne? nein danke. at the very worst we could look to IFA. my personal choice would be gerry mccabe but probably no hope there either.

we could always ask colin murphy to come back:D

patsh
25/09/2002, 10:54 AM
There is not too many managers in Ireland that spring to mind, are there?
If Gunther does go, and you are BL what do you do?
Try to entice Rico, Brian Kerr or S. Kenny here or maybe go for an Irish player coming to the end of his career in the UK who would take on a player-manager role??
I would not be sorry to see the back of him, but I really think BL will try to make sure LM stays another season at least....:(

pete
25/09/2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
I would not be sorry to see the back of him, but I really think BL will try to make sure LM stays another season at least....:(

Firstly not too much point in removing Liam Murphy & replacing with Patsy, Johnny C etc...

Its possible Murphy is in the last year of his contract but seeing as this probably signed under old season structure won't end til May/June 2003. If thats true probably likely Murphy would get an extension til November 2003 but would he be happy will a 6 month extension?

Peadar
25/09/2002, 5:35 PM
I personally would be sorry to Liam Murphy leave the club.
He has done fantastic things for Cork City FC and Cork football. While I agree we need a leader I think the solution would be to appoint a "Director of Football" and keep LM as "Head Coach".
Still not sure who I'd give the job to though?

Ruairi
25/09/2002, 6:02 PM
I have to say that I was a quite vocal "Murphy out"-er last come the end of last season, but I'm begining to come around to him. He has the team playing attractive, flowing football (at the Cross at least), whearas the whole "Deccy Daly hoof to Jimmy Mull" philosophy has almost been eradicated (again, at the Cross at least). I too would be sorry to see him go. A year down the road we'll be the best team in the country, home and away. And who knows, maybe Europe won't be a bridge too far next season

Colm
25/09/2002, 6:16 PM
Believe me Ruairi if you'd seen some of the sh*t we've had to put up with at the away games you'd be back to your old self.:)

Ruairi
25/09/2002, 6:26 PM
That's probably true! :D

Éanna
25/09/2002, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
I personally would be sorry to Liam Murphy leave the club.
He has done fantastic things for Cork City FC and Cork football. While I agree we need a leader I think the solution would be to appoint a "Director of Football" and keep LM as "Head Coach".
Still not sure who I'd give the job to though?

Yeah, he´s done a great job keeping bohs ahead of us alright Peadar :p ;)

Seriously though, I think murphy would be ideally suited to running some kind of full-time youth academy, or at least coaching with the youths. he really seems to have a great eye for young talent, and doesn´t seem bad at dealing with young players either.

Don´t see why everyone was so dismissive of Browne though, like I said, getting monaghan into the premier is a great achievement. if not him, there would certainly be candidates none of us have thought of if the job became available- think about it, every time a job becomes available in the league now, a host of names appear from nowhere.

I reckon we should be keeping an eye on hilly at ramblers, and if they have a good year, give him the job.

Éanna
25/09/2002, 6:30 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
I have to say that I was a quite vocal "Murphy out"-er last come the end of last season, but I'm begining to come around to him.

judas :mad: ;)

Ruairi
25/09/2002, 6:34 PM
Got me there I suppose:)

Peadar
25/09/2002, 6:44 PM

Yeah, he´s done a great job keeping bohs ahead of us alright Peadar :p ;)

You're right Eanna Bohs are above us but they didn't beat us and the other eight clubs are below us.

I reckon we should be keeping an eye on hilly at ramblers, and if they have a good year, give him the job.

I hope Dave Hill never darkens the gate of Turners Cross again.
He's exactly what City needs to avoid if we're to keep moving forward.

James
25/09/2002, 9:58 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
hope Dave Hill never darkens the gate of Turners Cross again.
He's exactly what City needs to avoid if we're to keep moving forward.

damn right
eanna with one breath you proclaim the wrongs of how the club was stuck in its job for the boys type scenario, apointing patsy and gunther and d barry and all the ex players, they the next second you go wanting hilly back.. whos friends with hilly eanna... kabai...dobbs.. do we really need that scenario again ??

patsh
26/09/2002, 6:58 AM
Yeah, Eanna, can't you just see it now, J O'F's new striking partner......(in loud boxer announcer type voice).....Jason Kabia.
I'd prefer to go with your original suggestion, yer man who was married to Whitney Houston....;)

Éanna
26/09/2002, 9:15 AM
Originally posted by James
eanna with one breath you proclaim the wrongs of how the club was stuck in its job for the boys type scenario, apointing patsy and gunther and d barry and all the ex players, they the next second you go wanting hilly back.. whos friends with hilly eanna... kabai...dobbs.. do we really need that scenario again ??
fair point i guess. I´ve just always had a lot of respect for hilly, and I don´t think he would be a bad guy for the job IF we are intent on only appointing people with connections to the club, as we seem to be (mountfield apart)

Like I said, yer man from Monaghan would be my no. 1 choice.

pete
26/09/2002, 9:34 AM
Like I said, yer man from Monaghan would be my no. 1 choice.

:rolleyes:

Éanna
26/09/2002, 9:41 AM
:rolleyes:
WHAT?!

Hecko
26/09/2002, 10:12 AM
It's all making sense to me now...everytime Eanna says Gunther out he always goes on about him being a rude b****** and then throws in a few bits about tactics. Then he wants Hilly in (cos he's a decent bloke) even though there is absolutely nothing to suggest he has a clue about management.

Maybe it's just that Eanna's a really sensitive guy and wants nice people at the club. Doesn't matter about good signings or results, just someone to smile and crack a few jokes every now and again, maybe even wave to the lads and go a for a swift one in the Horseshoe after the game.

Maybe the best thing then would be to get Miah Dennehy back as manager and play Patsy, Dobbsy, Hilly, Kabia (obviously), buy Richard Dunne, Faustino Asprillo, Gazza and see if we can get Besty off dialysis :p

patsh
26/09/2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Hecko
Richard Dunne, Gazza
These wasters are nice people ?? ;)

Éanna
26/09/2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Hecko
It's all making sense to me now...everytime Eanna says Gunther out he always goes on about him being a rude b****** and then throws in a few bits about tactics.
Har har har :p Like I said, Hilly´s an option, but Browne would be my first choice. My disdain for gunther´s personality and behaviour towards the fans is a part of my reason for disliking him, but primarily, it´s because of his management "skills" and tactical "knowledge"

pete
26/09/2002, 10:38 AM
WHAT?!

Just waiting for you to say the Mr. Browne suggestion was a joke.....

;)

No offense to Monaghan but might was get the Kilkenny manager if going to choose someone who got a 1st division team promoted & then relegated.

I don't think LM the best we can do for the future but don't as yet see any eL based alternatives...

Éanna
26/09/2002, 10:52 AM
No offense to Monaghan but might was get the Kilkenny manager if going to choose someone who got a 1st division team promoted & then relegated.
Fair point. I woud have thought that the Monaghan job was on a tighter budget, and would be less attractive to players not from the area though.

Troy.McClure
26/09/2002, 11:39 AM
Some one that Id love to see at City would be Denis Irwin. Im not in favour of 'old Pros' comming back and bleeding money out of clubs, but I think that Denis would be different. Im sure that alot of Man U fans would turn up just to see the guy. I know that he has no experience as a manager but the guy must know football inside out at this stage. He's a great guy (just for Eanna ;) ) and would command alot of respect from the players. However I dont think that he will move back to Ireland due to his family being settled (his wife is English anyway). His reason for joining Wolves was so that the family didnt have to relocate AFIK.

pete
26/09/2002, 12:09 PM
I suppose the current up & coming manager of the league might be Harry McCue at Drogs & Lawlor is still hanging around somewhere as well....

Debatable how good those guys are though...

Colm
26/09/2002, 6:02 PM
What about Alan Matthews at Longford. If he does a good job there this season, I think he would be a great man for the job.

Éanna
26/09/2002, 6:58 PM
Originally posted by COLM
What about Alan Matthews at Longford. If he does a good job there this season, I think he would be a great man for the job.
another candidate. I think our best bet might be to hang on to murphy til the end of the season and watch the likes of McCue, Browne and Matthews, see how they do, and then make an apporach for one of them in the close-season.

Éanna
26/09/2002, 6:59 PM
I think our best bet might be to hang on to murphy til the end of the season
:eek: I know, I can´t believe I just said that! :o