PDA

View Full Version : Czech Republic post match thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dodge
11/10/2006, 8:49 PM
Keep all your thoughts in here.

Good battling performances, still looked ordinary though.

shakermaker1982
11/10/2006, 8:52 PM
McShane outstanding. O'Brien you are no longer needed. A 20 year old lad on his debut....brilliant.

very impressed with Kelly, Douglas, Duffer and Carsley.

Kilbane showed if you don't play him in CM he can do well.

We deserved the win. I'm much happier than I was pre kick off. The lads were up for this (thank God) and saved Stan's bacon.

dancinpants
11/10/2006, 8:53 PM
....still looked ordinary though.

...but a very hastily put together team though. Can't be expecting top quality on a whim.

onceahoop
11/10/2006, 8:56 PM
Anyone who thinks the Czechs came for a draw is deluded. They set up 4 4 2 and were very dangerous on the counter with there pace. They settled for a draw last 10 because there was a danger they'd lose if they went for it. Good battling performance by us but we need to do better with the ball

shakermaker1982
11/10/2006, 8:57 PM
we just have to win every game to qualify...

Carsley gave us a presence in the centre of MF that we have lacked for a good while - Douglas as well. They were everywhere. Delighted for both.

Soper
11/10/2006, 8:57 PM
O'Shea should be dropped.Disaster.McShane looks quality, Carsley was great, Keane got isolated, Kilbane made an effort.Still not convinced about Mr.Bamboozle though.

Condex
11/10/2006, 9:03 PM
Keane was crap again, loads of running nut no quality!!
What a fuc*in miss at the end, open your eyes:eek:

DeNiro
11/10/2006, 9:06 PM
[QUOTE=shakermaker1982;553580]we just have to win every game to qualify...

Can we even qualify doing that?

I have to say McShane was absolutely immense. Something struck me during watching him. Was his top class performance the difference between growing up knowing you want to play for Ireland, going to lansdowne road as a young lad and understanding what it means. In contrast Andy O'Brien was wearing an England U21 jersey ****ing around in a Mickey Mouse tournament onlly 6 /7 years ago. Andy, thanks, but no thanks. You'll be remembered for the sh1t you served up to us in Cyprus! We've a new centre half that's here to stay.

KarlosMendosa
11/10/2006, 9:06 PM
Much improved.

McShane - outstanding

Kelly - tried very hard, did well

Douglas - thought he was the poorest of the young lads. Not through lack of effort. Worked his ******** off.

Henderson - plenty of shouting and organising. Bit slow to get down for the goal though

Carsley - quietish in part, but broke up their play, and did lots of hard tackling that was amiss last game. Good to have him back

Kilbane - good game

Reid - havent seen him in a while. Looked a few stone overweight. Had a touch of class at times. Wasteful at others. Thought when he went off we lost some attacking flair...

Duff - good game

Keane - :(

Finnan - didnt really do much spectaculor, nothing wrong, did his job.

O'Shea - thought he was playing well, until he went into fairy land, strolling back, leaving McShane exposed.... loses concentration so easy he does.

drummerboy
11/10/2006, 9:09 PM
It will do for a start. Thought McShane was magnificent, a real leader of men, and still only twenty. Can see him holding down a place for many a year to come. The team had passion. Well done Lee Carsley. Has been knocked by many on here but showed he definitely has something to offer. Why was he not included before this. Andy Reid looks very unfit. O'Shea strolled back after giving away free kick, which gave Koller the space to score. Kelly surprised me, done well. Duff made a few telling runs, not enough though. He seems to be terrified of losing the ball, hardly ever takes a chance.

FarBeag
11/10/2006, 9:13 PM
Good honest performance.That McShane boy is some player, he got his chance and took it by the scruff of the neck and is here for the long run.Bye bye A O Brien. Fair play to Lee Carsley ran his legs off and needs to be in the team.They all did well to be honest and the celebration shows that they really do care.Its such a shame about the Cyprus game which left such bad feelings amoung the Irish supporters. I am glad they got behind the team to-night though.

shadowcabinet
11/10/2006, 9:15 PM
A battling performance, and an ok result.

To me though, Staunton is still showing massive inexperience as a manager, he should quit the over the top reactions and instead give his players direction.

O'Shea simply isnt good enough, I could see him dropping through the divisions shortly if he doesnt get it together.

I'm not convinced by Reid at all either, needs to get in shape.

Soper
11/10/2006, 9:17 PM
Also, Alan O'Brien did nothing tonight.

brine3
11/10/2006, 9:22 PM
stop with the knocking of andy o'brien, it's disgraceful

waht about mcshane? anticipation, awareness, distribution, effort, pace. he's like a young roy keane. mcshane's competitive debut was so good that it overshadowed stephen kelly's, who also played a great match.

lee carsley showed stan what we were missing in cyprus. organisation, defensive cover, aggression. stan looks a fool now.

DeNiro
11/10/2006, 9:23 PM
I hope O'Shea looks around and realises that there are now plenty more options in the positions he used to occupy. Kelly at LB, McShane at CB, Carsley and Douglas in CM. That might concentrate his mind a bit. I reckon McShane and Dunne will be CB's (fitness permitting) when San Marino visit. Keane does need to get his act together, Doyle would have done a nice job up there tonight!

We've got a few to return to squad as well

McGeady, Kavanagh, Harte, Joey O'Brien, Miller, Doyle, Ireland, S Reid, Dunne, Elliott, Given.

Our strongest eleven out of the above and tonight's squad would probably be

Given

Carr - McShane - Dunne - Finnan

Duff - Carsley - S.Reid - McGeady

Keane - Doyle

Subs: Joey O'Brien, Ireland, A. Reid, Elliott, Kavanagh, Miller, O'Shea, Harte, Kenny, Alan O'Brien, Alan Lee, Henderson.

23 man squad.

murtybyrne
11/10/2006, 9:27 PM
Yes so much better, but suppose it couldnt have got much worse!!

Mcshane played very well especially up againist someone like koller, oshea did just ok but his concentration needs to be there for 90mins. good to see carsley back got stuck in and broke up there play at times. Glad to see the players where up for it. Still dont think Stan is the Man! but with that result it will be a while before he'd be near getting the boot! As Even all the changes he made tonite these players where available sat so he's only stumbled on a half decent midfield cause of injuries.

And Lastly the Worst Player of the Night Award goes to our FearFull Leader Robbie Keane, He needs someone to Give him a good Kick up the Ar*e!!!

He spent the evenin playin too deep and too much waving of the hands goin on, I do know that is his usual game but at time especially as we where playin with just one striker its ridioculos

highlight100
11/10/2006, 9:27 PM
IF nothing else good came from the last week,we found ourselves a new centre back and also the guys who were missing tonight will have to work for there places on the team now

Condex
11/10/2006, 9:28 PM
stop with the knocking of andy o'brien, it's disgraceful

No offence to him as a person, but I hope he does not play again for Ireland.
He is an accident waiting to happen:eek:

concanta
11/10/2006, 9:31 PM
I am delighted we restored pride

mcshane = future legend

BUT still really down we played our hearts out and could of nicked - HAD to nick it

NO chance now

finlma
Also, Alan O'Brien did nothing tonight.

He was on the pitch for 10 mins.

Great performance by McShane but lets not get carried away lads. Could be yet another flase dawn. Needs to play higher level football on a regular basis and do the job every time he pulls on the green jersey. Its easy to perform when people expect nothing. Lets see him play a pressure game.

Soper
I think in the next match, put Keane where Reid was, and play Doyle up top.

And re: O'Brien, I just think he was a bad sub, then again there was no one else.

backstothewall
11/10/2006, 9:32 PM
Nearly the same

Given

Finnan - McShane - Dunne - Harte

McGeady - Carsley - S.Reid - Duff

Keane - Doyle

Subs: Joey O'Brien, McPhail, A. Reid, Elliott, O'Brien, Miller, O'Shea, Carr, Kenny, Kilbane, Alan Lee, Henderson.

DeNiro
11/10/2006, 9:37 PM
So has Ferguson messed up by releasing McShane?

No, we've probably gained. He's probably got as much as he needed to from there and moved. He could have rotted there, and we would have lost out majorly. He's intelligent in his play and his career by the looks of it. I reckon he'll turn out better than Rio Ferdinand if he keeps going at that rate!

barney
11/10/2006, 9:44 PM
Lads the slating of Andy O'Brien is OTT. Okay he isnt worth a place in the starting X1 but if we get a run of injuries, he may be needed. McShane and Dunne aren't going to be fit or available for every game.

Better performance and we deserved the win.

Stan learned from some of his mistakes. We were more organised, better balanced and there was a lot of effort. Robbie Keane ran his socks off. A bit too much as we had no one in the middle at times.

We all know Stan was the wrong man. But he is learning. That was a better performance, he now knows what a difference Carsley makes.

It was obvious he was going to make mistakes. But he's at least he's looking in the right direction now.

Remember, we were missing 14 players tonight, most of whom would have pushed for a place. We've drawn with one of the world's best teams. That's a decent result.

Soper
11/10/2006, 9:47 PM
The Czechs were well below their usual standard tonight, imo

murtybyrne
11/10/2006, 9:49 PM
So has Ferguson messed up by releasing McShane?

No I dont think so either, As a Man Utd fan Ive seen quite a lot of McShane both in some reserve games and nearly all of this seasons Pre-Season.

He has got quite a lot of potential and is quite a decent player, but was unsure if he was going to make the grade at Utd. He has made the correct decision to leave and join WBA cause there he will get more opportunities to play first team football and I do hope he can reach his potential and become a regular in the Irish side because god knows we need another decent Centre half!

cavan_fan
11/10/2006, 9:50 PM
What this and the 2 matches against San marino should give us is squad depth.

Squad now should be

GK: Given, Kenny, Henderson
Full Backs: Finnan Carr Harte Kelly
Centre Backs: Dunne McShane O'Shea O'Brien
Central Midfield: Carsley S Reid Kavanagh A Reid Miller
Wide Midfield: Duff McGeady Alan O'Brien Kilbane
Forwards: Keane Doyle Elliot Daryl Murphy

sonofstan
11/10/2006, 9:54 PM
Decent result and first time in a long while I've left Lansdowne feeling happy instead of bored (Friendlies), annoyed or miserable (last few competitive matches)

Billy Lord
11/10/2006, 9:55 PM
Damn fine performance tonight. Decent shape, solid at the back, no real creativity in midfield (but only to be accepted as we haven't got the players), while everyone who played seemed to know what their roles were, which is all you can expect from pro footballers. It was a genuine team effort and Kevin Kilbane was my MOTM.
I'm dying to see how the papers play it because the clueless hacks had assumed that Ireland would be battered. The smart money was on a 1-0 home win so I suppose no one won in the end (!).
Staunton is not the answer but sacking him so soon would have merely been the scapegoat option. I would see him as - at best - keeping things ticking over, bedding in young players and eventually passing the baton to a quallity coach who can move things on.
How I would love it if the FAI took their role - and Irish football - seriously and started coaching kids properly, developed our national league and stopped hoping that the Brits solve all our problems.
England have their own problems, so they cannot be expected to also solve ours, no matter how much Irish people love their clubs.

paul_oshea
11/10/2006, 10:00 PM
lads mcshane did do well in the game, however he was somewhat at fault for the goal, instead of trying to keep alongside koller and trying to over-power or out-strenght him he should have covered the angle to goal by getting in front of him. gave him way way too much room. that can't be overlooked, hopefully though thats something he will learn from. great finish thoug. koller was off side as well.

Soper
11/10/2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah, but O'Shea should have been back.I would hold him to account for it over McShane.

Irish Pride
11/10/2006, 10:02 PM
delighted wit da proformance but once again when we score first we just dont no how to keep a lead. McShane was excellent tonight and deserved his MOTM! hard to believe he is 20! McShane & Dunne at da back will do well! O'Shea is a waste of space! I'm sorry but once again it was his falut for the goal! Duff was disappointing, i no he set up da goal bu didnt do alot else.

Reid was a danger and i was delighted 2see him back! and for Carsley......We missed ya bald guy!

Dont mean 2 jump the gun but if we beat san Mario twice, that will give us 7points wit Wales to come! which should be another 3(please god) which is 10! So we are hoping for the Czechs or Germany to beat each other home and away to have any chance......................Can it be done????

Has any country taken 1 point out of 3games and qualified???????

heres hoping.......at least we have that now.

rambler14
11/10/2006, 10:04 PM
Thought Wayne Henderson should have done way better for the goal.
Finnan was solid
McShane was brilliant
O'Shea messed up once(what a mistake though) other than that he played well
Kelly i thought had a bad game:- Tackled well
- Passing was terrible
- Very slow on the ball
- Bad touches
- Awful throws(took about 20, at least 15 went straight to a Czech Player.)
Douglas was brilliant
Carsley showed exactley why we needed him
Duff ran well with the ball
Reid didnt pass
Kilbane gave a 100% and showed why hes a winger and not a centre mid
Keane ran well didn't get any chances though.

Donal81
11/10/2006, 10:08 PM
While this game is a good result - although not good enough to put us back in the running - it says a lot. Firstly, while I don't think Carsley is a worldbeater and doesn't contribute anything to going forward, how he wasn't in the squad at the weekend and played the whole game four days later is a sad indictment of Stan.

Carsley's game summed him up for me. A tough battler, good at putting in tackles, but not a match winner. Still, if he wants that midfield berth, it's his.

Also, how McShane and O'Shea could play better against one of the best teams in the world than Dunne and O'Brien against bloody Cyprus is an even worse indictment of the weekend's performance.

It was a great performance considering the makeshift nature of the team. As usual, we could have beaten them and should have beaten them.

Robbie Keane might have played poorly but he's always been rubbish playing upfront by himself. That miss was shocking, no excuse for that, but he needed more service throughout the game. That header was his first chance of the game and it was in injury time! With Carsley and Douglas in Central midfield and with no one beside him to shield high balls to him, he was always going to struggle. But he should have been better. A striker only getting once chance is not good enough. How did he lead the team?

Fair play to Kilbane for the goal, great finish. As ever, his strength is in making a nuisance of himself. He'll never dictate a game, never create chance after chance. He'll run and battle and get the odd goal, that's what he does.

Duff played well, finally. I'm sick to the teeth of seeing middling performances from him and Keane, amongst others.

But we're out of this campaign, I think, and this game finished it entirely. We need two of the top three teams to slip up and although the Slovaks got hammered this evening, it's between them and the Czechs. I can't see either of them falling against the mighty Cypriots or Welsh. In any qualifying campaign, you just can't drop points to the weaker teams, as we found out last year.

The Legend
11/10/2006, 10:14 PM
We still need to get better in this tournament even if we dont qualify because if we drop another level in the quallifying pools for the WC... its game over for that campaign too...

Donal81
11/10/2006, 10:15 PM
McShane got the stick for the Czech goal. I thought that it could easily have been prevented if John O'Shea had tracked back. That said, the replay wasn't great, I'm open to correction this.

billybunter
11/10/2006, 10:18 PM
face value. pride restored. had a feeling of the old days about it. tackled, chased, pressured. bit of fookin pride about it. thats all i ask. good night all round. fair play to every irish player, fair play to the fans - absolutely magnificient. i watched it in tampa. fl - and it was a good night in the boozer - bit of ****** about it. well done to all.

geysir
11/10/2006, 10:26 PM
Way off the mark those slating Keane, first time I have seen him do effective closing down, performance had to be compromised to achieve result, he suffered for that more than most and battled to the end.
An averagely confident Ireland with a secure manager would have won. Only getting a draw hurt.
Plaudits to Kilbane, left free of main defensive responsibilities he will run through a brick wall, if only he could pass.
What remains though is what Stan makes of it all. Lee isn't just for Christmas.
McShane, he's the Kenny replacement, intelligent and articulate.
I've never seen Brady so alive and energetic on RTE, like he had woken up after a 5 year slumber.

liam88
11/10/2006, 10:30 PM
I'd like to think tonight marked the start of something new. The lads seemed to play with a real passion and correct me if i'm wrong -especially those who were actually at Lansdowne - but from what I saw the fans seemed a lot more enthusiastic than they have done for a while. The flare going off the the crowd etc. Alll seemed good :)

Stuttgart88
11/10/2006, 10:32 PM
Fully satisfied.

McShane stood his ground against Koller all night long. Intelligent & elegant all night.

Carsley: nothing special in terms of talent but what he offered in terms of presence & maturity can't be underestimated.

Douglas: again no great talent but persistent akle snapping & sheer comfort in that part of the pitch was a big contribution. To what? A great performance? No, but allowing us to be competitive again.

Kilbane: central midfield? No way. Inside left in a 433? Can't fault him. Almost ideal role for him.

Robbie: if only you could head the ball & anticipate the mistake. Last 3 words of that sentence are so important you wouldn't believe.

Henderson: not that much to do but body language was impressive & exuded maturity. Kicking from hand was as good as any I've seen & surpassed Cech's, arguably as good as they come. In real time I thought he may have saved the goal though.

Kelly: the better full back on the night. Well done that lad.

Enjoyed it immensely.

PS: How big were the Czechs?

geysir
11/10/2006, 10:37 PM
McShane got the stick for the Czech goal. I thought that it could easily have been prevented if John O'Shea had tracked back. That said, the replay wasn't great, I'm open to correction this.
Nothing to correct.

Qwerty
11/10/2006, 10:40 PM
They need to repeat tonights performance game in game out. There is no excuse.

The real lesson of the Cyprus game is that Ireland cannot play open fluid football and expect to beat anyone. If we had a midfield in Cyprus ( we played 3 wingers and player who prefers to play in the hole ) we would not have lost, our defenders were constantly exposed because there was no protection whatsoever.

It was unfortunately a very embarrasing and costly lesson for Stan to learn, and I hope he has learnt it.

McShane, Douglas and Kelly showed the kind of grit you expect from an Irish player. I expect nothing less.

Stuttgart88
11/10/2006, 10:41 PM
I thought JOS was stuck on halfway line after the (good) foul. No fault McShane though.

brine3
11/10/2006, 11:14 PM
you get the feeling given would have saved it and held on to it... but that's the difference between league 1 and one of the best keepers in the world for you

billybunter
11/10/2006, 11:30 PM
I am proud to put my hand up and say ' that was fooking good irish performance. I didnt even wash my jersey after saturday. I wore it again, and insisted i;m exorcising the ghosts of nicosia past. thankfully, i not only banished those ghosts, i think paul mcshane may even have stuck his boot up one their ar$es on their way out. we battle on. good oul ireland. I knew she would'nt let me down.

Neish
11/10/2006, 11:40 PM
Good display against one of Europes top teams's. McShane was great, so was Kilbane and Carlsey. Kelly & Douglas also very good.

Still a lot of work to be done but if the squad put in same kinda effort that was given vs The Czechs tonight and we don't suffer any more severe injury problems, this time next year we will be up there fighting for a place in Euro 2008.

Still not overly convinced about Staunton, hopefully he will prove me wrong.

keenanboy
12/10/2006, 12:01 AM
I think at lot of lessons were learned tonight.
Mine were
a) Passion and sheer balls can compensate for other inadequacies
b) The players respect the manager and responded accordingly
c) There is something rotten in the squad
d) That something is the journeymen of the likes of Clinton Morrison, who frankly doesn't care and never has.
e) The manager and the squad are on a learning curve...but they will only improve

pineapple stu
12/10/2006, 12:11 AM
Much, much better than last Saturday. I'm delghted to be E50 down.

McShane was immense. For a lad on his debut playing First Division football making Jan Koller - a superb player - he was immense. Fair dues.
Kelly was superb, I thought. One passage I remember when he won the tackle, then prevented it going out of touch, and then won the throw. Much, much improved on the Chile performance.
Duff was much nearer his best. He's now gotten the assist on all three goals this campaign.
Thought Henderson could have done better for the goal - thought he was too near his near post - but did well overall.
Superb finish from Kilbane.

Overall - happy, I suppose. (Still want Delaney out thought...)

Closed Account 2
12/10/2006, 12:27 AM
I think McShane shows the benefits of leaving a big club, going to a smaller one, but playing week in week out in a proper position. Just wish the likes of O;shea and Miller had done what he did

Soko
12/10/2006, 12:39 AM
I'm delighted that Robbie Keane thought it fitting to give the crowd a good ol' fist pump after our slightest ambitions for 2008 had been extinguished following his open goal miss with 2 mins to go. Nice to see Mick Byrne cheering after we drew at home to a Czech team which is nowhere near as good as their predecesors.

Happy with most of the performance, not happy with the result. O' Shea - I never want to see again. Stephen Kely did well but he's extemely limited. What has happened to Steve Finnan?

Andy Reid looked ****ed after the warm ups. What a pile of ****

Ah well, there's always 2010 :rolleyes: