PDA

View Full Version : Why so many injured players?

DonegalDub
11/10/2006, 10:22 AM
Injuries to players have been discussed in various threads here. Looking at the bigger picture, it begs the question why so many players get "injured" so close to international games, immediately after games or between games. I have seen reports where a player sustained and "injury" in the 90th minute of a club game which happneed to be the last one before an international.

Historically speaking, players withdraw from squads through "injury" at the drop of a hat (or a word from the club manager in their ear). Never before has Ireland had so many players out through injury and the question must be why? Add to this, the injuries since the Cyprus game, seemingly due to poor warm-down sessions, delayed and long flights, etc. which call into question the abilities of the "highly skilled backroom team" mentioned BY Blood in his latest speil.

Call me cynical but it seems to me that Staunton's relationships with clubs is questionable, given Brian Kerr's unique style of handling "injuries" and withdrawals. Yet Staunton seems to think it is all bad luck!

If you picked a team for tonight and included those dubious "injuries" (i.e a goalkeeper pulling a hamstring after a game?) it would be strong enough, I suspect.

greendeiseboy
11/10/2006, 10:31 AM
If you picked a team for tonight and included those dubious "injuries" (i.e a goalkeeper pulling a hamstring after a game?) it would be strong enough, I suspect.[/QUOTE]

yeah.... if you or me picked the team maybe. More worrying is the amount of unjuries that happenened while the squad was together.. what's going there.

DonegalDub
11/10/2006, 10:35 AM
exactly what I'm talking about! Hon can players pick up "niggling" injuries while training. Has to be down to methods, warmup/warmdown, rubdowns, massaging etc etc not been done properly. Is it just coincidence that Mick the Mascot Byrne is back on board?

mandrake
11/10/2006, 10:38 AM
would anyone think these 'injuries' are players wanting to get away from tonight and dont want be involved in what could be ugly scenes tonight.....
there was a picture in the indo about 11 players who let ireland down ... i think it was in mondays paper....
have the player 'chickened out'