PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Sir Brian - continue the progress

Counting Crow
21/09/2002, 7:12 AM
Letter to Sir Brian,

I personally want to thank you for brightening up my Summer ( God knows with the weather the way it was it needed something ) if we are to continue the progress seen at the Cross perhaps you could take heed of some ideas of mine - don't be frightened off now they won't cost too much.

I've been to several games ( Baseball, US Football and Basketball ) in the US and if there is one thing the Yanks are good at is selling things. They promote their sport so well you can't but get wrapped up in it.

I know budgets are tight but think about the following:

1. Half time. At most games they have a couple of guys dressed up in animal suits ( enter the Echo Hound ..and mate!!!!!!) who walk around the stadium shooting rolled up Club T-Shirts into the crowd ( say 10 shirts @ 10 euro each ) - PLUS SIDE: promotes the club, adds to the atmosphere, could also get rid of some of the old merchandise in the Club shop. DOWN SIDE: Their stadiums are bigger - be carefull not to fire the shirts into the gardens next door - defeats the purpose. Good crack for 100 euro.

2. At B/Ball matches they get someone from the crowd to shoot a ball from the half way line some times the prize could be as much as $1 million dollars. Don't faint. This is always sponsored. They build it up throughout the season culminating in the $1 million dollar shot. I tell you some people go just to watch this. Needless to say they hype it up throughout the week before hand etc. but everyone talks about it. How about the 5,000 euro shot from the half way line into a small goal @ the Shed end - sponsored by Guinness. Sounds good, doesn't it.

3. Before, during games and at half time they pick the music to suit the mood of the game. It really winds the fans up and creates a superb atmosphere......some football grounds are catching on to this in England. Why can't we be the first in Ireland. The downside of this is you would have to invest in a decent Sound System and some one who has some knowledge of music.

4. In the pubs around their stadiums they have promotion nights on the nights of games where ex players get involved in promoting the Club - signing posters, T-Shirts etc. It's great fun and builds up the atmosphere beforehand.

Anyone else got ideas on how we could hype up the games.....now's the time to do it while the people are coming to see THE BEST TEAM IN THE LAND.

Keep up the good work,
Yours sincerely,
Counting Crow.

Peadar
21/09/2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow

Anyone else got ideas on how we could hype up the games.....

I went to see Arsenal in the Champions League and kit sponsor Nike had supplied A3 red cards and white cards which all the fans would hold up before the game and turned Wembley into a sea of colour. On the back of the cards the lyrics of the common songs and chants were printed.

Also we could have an MC who'd go on the pitch and get the different sides of the ground to chant something and see where the loudest fans are. It could promote a healthy rivalry between lets say the shed and the St Annes end.
Of course the MC could introduce the the ideas that you're already suggested.

Neil
21/09/2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Peadar
Nike had supplied A3 red cards and white cards which all the fans would hold up before the game and turned Wembley into a sea of colour.

The 'Sea of Red' was tried once or twice before but it doesn't work. I'd love to see it happen some time but I doubt it will.

The main problem is that people don't know what to do when given a red sheet. Most people rip it up and throw it in the air!

Also the fact that the seats flip up when they are not being sat on means that you can't put sheets on the seats before the crowds arrive.

Also Cork people have a tendancy to come to games at the last minute, so half the crowd are NOT in their seats when the teams come out (which is the time in which the 'Sea of Red' or Green now, would have to take place)

pete
23/09/2002, 8:57 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
2. At B/Ball matches they get someone from the crowd to shoot a ball from the half way line some times the prize could be as much as $1 million dollars. Don't faint. This is always sponsored. They build it up throughout the season culminating in the $1 million dollar shot. I tell you some people go just to watch this. Needless to say they hype it up throughout the week before hand etc. but everyone talks about it. How about the 5,000 euro shot from the half way line into a small goal @ the Shed end - sponsored by Guinness. Sounds good, doesn't it.

I think $hel$ had something similar going last year or the year before. They had a cardboard target they put in front of the goal with i think 2 or 3 slots cut out for the ball. A few people selected exach game needed to score in last the slots to win a car. Think if you got 1 you got some other prize. Only thing was it was an almost impossible competition to win so doubt the car was ever won.

Éanna
23/09/2002, 9:57 AM
Originally posted by pete
[/B]A few people selected exach game needed to score in last the slots to win a car. [/B]
we know the car is stolen, we know the car is stolen:D

dalo
23/09/2002, 10:51 AM
lads all very admirable but a lot of the crowds will dissapear very quickly (as they always do) when results go against us (as they are now).

i personally have little faith in citys "new fans"

Troy.McClure
23/09/2002, 7:43 PM
Originally posted by pete
I think $hel$ had something similar going last year or the year before.
:mad: :mad: :mad: That was UCD.

One fella nearly got it one day an all, that would have been an easy £1000 for him, just about an inch away Id say.

pete
24/09/2002, 9:33 AM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
That was UCD.

Can't say whether UCD had it or not but i saw it in Tolka - might have been during halftime while city got hammered 4-0.

Dricky
24/09/2002, 10:29 AM
Yeah I remember that pete one of the all time worst game by City, the c*nt with the mike was pulling the **** out of the CCFC fans "sure they can't kick a ball straight in cork... aim over that way and you might get it in, sure they can't play footie down there at all"
I thought of that MC this year when the euro results came in, and the five words that came to mind were.
MALTA Ha ha ha ha.

If they offer the chance this time you should get someone to take a shot for his face won't win the €1000 but it would be worth it to see claret on his face..