PDA

View Full Version : Athlone Town 0 - 0 Finn Harps

atfconline
20/09/2002, 10:43 PM
Athlone Town produced their best performance of the season to claim a point against title favourites Finn Harps in Saint Mel's Park tonight.

Truth be told, Athlone could be disappointed not to have claimed all three points, but will be happy enough to have kept a clean sheet for the first time in seven games. The first half was an even affair with Harps probably just shading it in terms of chances. However, it was Athlone that had the ball in the net in the 30th minute, but it was disallowed for an infringement in the box and Harps were awarded a free out. Five minutes later and this time Harps almost got the opening goal. A few yards to the right of his own goal, Michael Harney tried clearing the ball out but was blocked by a Harps player and only for the alertness of Shane Curran saving the deflection at the post, Athlone would have been one down. The lively Harney who scored in Athlone's win over Kildare last week picked up a yellow card on the stroke of half time.

Athlone came out after the break with all guns blazing and had a plethora of chances. Former Harps favourite Davy Dowling had the first of these in the first minute, lobbing the goalie but his effort went just wide. This was quickly followed up by Warren Parkes with a shot on the turn. Kepping the pressure on Harps around their box, Athlone were awarded a free shortly after and Eric Molloy's effort went just over the bar. Town went close on at least another five occassions in the opening 15 minutes of the second half. The north-westeners slowly got back up to pace and had a number of chances but just never really dominated the game.

Stephen Mullin made his first home appearance of the season, when he replaced the injured Parkes 25 minutes into the half and had claims for a penalty turned down shortly after. Five minutes later, Micky Collins was given a straight red card for a tackle on Harps frontman and player/mamanger Jonathan Speak. This was a ridiculous decision as Collins tackled him from the side and won the ball. Athlone kept their heads high, and even with the numerical advantage, Harps never got on top of Town. The impressive back four of Carberry, Fitzell, Shine and Oliver restricted Harps to only a small number of chances. When Dowling was replaced by Under-21 star Damien Rushe, Athlone had decided to play for the single point. Stephen Mullin was left on his own up front and never really had any chances, but once he is up to match fitness again, he should be a threat. Athlone did continue to threat from midfield however and with four minutes left on the clock, Jimmy Greene introduced Gary Devine for Eric Molloy who picked up a knock. Striker Devine played a very defenive role though and Mullin was very isolated up front.

There were a number of close calls near the end, but Town held out for a very deserved point, and put a dent in the promotion hopes of Finn Harps. Athlone were missing influential captain Stephen Kelly in midfield, and the ever reliable Conor Frawley at the back. They should both be back for the next game against Dundalk, which takes place next Thursday September 26th in Oriel Park, and present Jimmy Greene with a pleasent selection dilemma.

Oh No
24/09/2002, 10:44 AM
Wasn't the ref awful.

I think without bias that he did turn down a legitimate penaly for Town.

Also I think Michael Collins tackle was fair, he won the ball in a super tackle from the side, not from behind. The ref reacted to the calls from the Harps support.

Is it policy to use novice referees in the first division? Does anyone see any justification in this?

Ash
24/09/2002, 11:17 AM
The ref and linesmen were woeful.
Definately Paul Deering and Keiron O'Dowd in disguise!

But as for the peno. In all fairness Stephen went down like a sack
of spuds, a bit like Speake for thre sending off.

That decision was a disgrace aswell. Mickey slid in from the side,
won the ball cleanly but his trailing leg clipped Speake.
Sure he even told Alan Oliver that Mickey just about clipped him!!!

The real joke is if theres complaints against refs in Division 1
(like with Deering 2 seasons ago) they gret promoted to doing
the line in the Premier division for a season and then are sent
back down to Division 1

Mr_T
24/09/2002, 1:05 PM
....I though it was a very rash tackle, wasn't from behind, but his foot was high and he led with his studs. Don't think he got the ball cleanly, and even if he didn't fully catch Speakie he was always liable to get into trouble. Straight red was maybe harsh, helped by they was Speak went down like a sack of spuds. Howevewr, if it was a Town man who'd gone down ye'd be applauding him. It nearly won us the game with the pressure we put on for the last 15 minutes.

Nice to meet Ash and the other Town fans, a good time was had by all. Was a good battling performance from da A'tlone, who were much better than I expected. Draw was probably a fair result, nice for us to get our 5th straight clean sheet in Div 1 competition (including the cup final)

Most importantly though, do we get our title as noisiest fans in Div 1 back. Our lot were a bit subdued due to the early crap performance of Harps but we did manage to provoke a spirited response from a gang of youngsters who catually got together to sing for the Town. Bet Galway didn't do that!!!

TG

atfconline
24/09/2002, 2:26 PM
Well in my opinion, ye didn't get close to beating Galway! Shiny new drum and chanting for Athlone near the end don't get you any brownie points!

Ye are still ahead of Dundalk anyways, for the time being.

Mr_T
24/09/2002, 5:20 PM
....those were actually young Athlone fans sparked into life by our passionate display. A big gang of youngsters gathered round us (some good craic, several knackers looking for a row) and got singing for the Towm.

Galway didn't ispire that now did they. And Mr A (on the drum) who was at both games reckons the Galway lads were nowhere near as noisy.

We didn't chance any flares after last time, but we had three nice flags!! :(

So forgive me but I'll take Mr A's word for it. Sure we were so intimidating you didn't even come over and say hello! :D

atfconline
24/09/2002, 6:09 PM
nah I was just watching the penos and reading the programme, wasn't walking all the way over there either! Great little keeper in goal for the penos btw!

Seriously though, Galway sang continuously for the opening 25 minutes or so, and were pretty good for most of the rest of it either. Maybe they just made a special effort for Athlone though.

And OK so ye weren't chanting for Athlone, but I'm pretty sure I heard yer drum providing the beat for the chant?! The kids used to always try and sing up in the small stand but they cut it out awhile back.