Block G Raptor
10/10/2006, 9:47 AM
A bit like Stauntons tenure really...........all a big misunderstanding

wws
10/10/2006, 9:49 AM
Finally, a world class player joins the squad.......not

Paddy Garcia
10/10/2006, 9:49 AM
.......bet Delaney forced Stauntons hand.

shakermaker1982
10/10/2006, 9:50 AM
fingers crossed this means Kilbane does not start in the centre of MF.

Paddy Garcia
10/10/2006, 9:52 AM
Finally, a world class player joins the squad.......not

Nevertheless someone who can tackle in midfield & is currently Irelands in-form central midfielder. McPhail is probably our second most in-form player in this position.

elroy
10/10/2006, 9:55 AM
Realistically though, will he play??

Well its not like Stan has any pride to save anyway

Closed Account 2
10/10/2006, 9:59 AM
He has to play, if he is not going to play what was the point in calling him up!!!

If Stan doesnt start with him (and I would make him capt.) then Stan should never be allowed to manage any team again!!!

Dr. Ogba
10/10/2006, 10:00 AM
Nevertheless someone who can tackle in midfield & is currently Irelands in-form central midfielder. McPhail is probably our second most in-form player in this position.

Yep I agree, Carsley and McPhail would be a quite decent midfield (well compared to Saturday anyway!!), both are different types of players and could complement each other well. Unfortunately it doesn't look like McPhail is even on the radar at the moment :confused:

galwayhoop
10/10/2006, 10:13 AM
is he called up or is it just speculation. no word on fai website (thought they would be first to announce it (not))

however it is on everton website
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/cars-called-up.html

Dawn_Run
10/10/2006, 10:22 AM
About bloody time, hope he does himself justice now. Carsley needs to kick seven shades of sh!te outa the likes of o shea, kilbane, o brien and co.

Finally a step in the right direction, gotta be pleased about that.

galwayhoop
10/10/2006, 10:26 AM
can't really see stan startin him. i'd say he'll start him on the bench and bring him on in second half - as a face saving exercise:rolleyes:

endabob1
10/10/2006, 10:27 AM
I never thought I would be so happy to see Lee Carsley called in to an Irish squad!

SUB of the day
10/10/2006, 10:33 AM
I never thought I would be so happy to see Lee Carsley called in to an Irish squad!
Staunton is like a drowning man, clutching at anything for survival.....I think we're all happy re Carsley, and your right, I can't believe that last sentence.Stan, go now...please.

kingp35
10/10/2006, 10:57 AM
Its a week too late Staunton!!!

BaZmO*
10/10/2006, 11:00 AM
Heard them mention this morning on the news that he might be getting a call up but nothing was definite.

It's the right decision but I think it just undermines Stan even more. On one hand you could say that he's willing to admit it when he's made a mistake (even though it's his actions rather than his words that suggest this) but on the other hand it just proves that really doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Paddy Garcia
10/10/2006, 11:01 AM
Its a week too late Staunton!!!

Exactly. Interesting that it is still not up on the FAI site, difficult one to word!

carrickharp
10/10/2006, 11:03 AM
.......bet Delaney forced Stauntons hand.

Or was it Delaney who diden't want him in the squad????

Emmet
10/10/2006, 11:05 AM
Well - if we lose tomorrow then the whole qualifying campaign is finished for sure ... in which case I would not want to see 'experienced' players like Carsley in the squad. If we lose tomorrow we should be looking at getting competitive game experience for the younger players.

deadman
10/10/2006, 11:29 AM
wondering who is really calling the shots here???

some one must have leaned on stan. can't wait to here his excuse/reasoning

Dawn_Run
10/10/2006, 11:33 AM
i'd like to think it was the pressure of publin opinion calling this one. Pity they wouldnt listen a week ago.

deadman
10/10/2006, 11:38 AM
maybe we should do like that club side in finland did, i think it was, where fans texted in their votes for substitutions during their match.

at least we could only blame ourselves

Dallasirish
10/10/2006, 12:10 PM
Its about time !!!!

Why is Stanton still Manager. FAI President David Blood has said that even if we suffer another heavy defeat tomorrow that Delaney and Stautons jobs are not under threat. In fact they have consolidated there posistions since Saturday......... WHAT A LOAD OF PURE ****E!!! If i F((K up four days in a row at work i dont consolidate my posistion and assuming my boss is intelligent i doubt he would think so either!!!

Where did it all go WRONG! Why are there muppets controlling our National team? How did they get there and why are the still there?

NeilMcD
10/10/2006, 12:15 PM
To be honest I dont expect any different. He is hardly going to say that Staunton must go if we dont win on Wed. That would not be the best preparation for the game. I think give Staunton your backing or sack him. I believe they should sack him and Delaney after Wednesday but they should nto act as if they are going to do it before Wednesday.

Clipper
10/10/2006, 12:15 PM
When we are reduced to Lee Carsley being our saviour then you know we're in real trouble.
Staunton was adamint that he wouldn't call him up, so you wonder why the change of heart, pressure must have been exerted by someone!! Even with Stephen Ireland out he has Alan Quinn and Andy Reid back so he doesn't have the injuries forced his hand excuse

superreds
10/10/2006, 12:20 PM
perhaps at the team meeting after the cyprus game some of the senior players pushed for Carsley to be called up!!

geysir
10/10/2006, 12:23 PM
There are still some questions
Can Alan Quinn be in any state of mind to start playing?
Is Andy Reid in anyway shape or form match fit?

Dallasirish
10/10/2006, 12:36 PM
Why would he not say "if you dont win on Wednesday your fired?" Would it happen at your job after 4 major incidents? Maybe then we would see if the players actually give a SHI& about Staunton or are they right now feelin like me that there is a muppet in charge of the irish national team and maybe a defeat Wednesday would spare years of embarrasment for them and us?

If he does not win he should be launched out and he should know that and the players must know that! Why is there no one held accountable when Ireland dont perform? Kilbane, O Shea, and O Brien should be dropped from squad and left out! Keane needs to wake up and the captins arm band should be handed to Given (the only player who shows up and gives everything everytime and actually gives a SHI* about Ireland! shay on his own against Cyprus would not has let in five!

Stuttgart88
10/10/2006, 12:40 PM
To be honest I dont expect any different.

Saying their jobs are safe is what you'd expect him to say. Happens all the time and means little.

Saying their positions have been consolidated simply beggars belief.

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2006, 12:45 PM
Delaney leaned on him. We now have a manager who can't manage. Being told to bring in a player who should have been already playing for the team. By someone who has never played the game at any professional level. Is this fiction? Am I in the twilight zone. No. This is the FAI at work. And Blood should consider his own position. I hope he returns to the UCL fairly quickly. Like thursday!

eirebhoy
10/10/2006, 2:13 PM
perhaps at the team meeting after the cyprus game some of the senior players pushed for Carsley to be called up!!
I honestly wouldn't be suprised. Surely out of the 20 players in the squad 1 or 2 are future managers who have a bit of tactical sense and McDonald said everyone had their say. How Stan was allowed (by McDonald) to play Kilbane and Ireland in the centre I'll never know. As I said in another thread we might aswell have played 2 full backs at centre half.

McGinty
10/10/2006, 2:27 PM
nice one, hoping to hear this before tomorrows game, dont think staunton will start him all the same even though he should

soccerc
10/10/2006, 2:33 PM
Back four of Finnan, McShane, O'Shea and Kelly confirmed to start.

shakermaker1982
10/10/2006, 2:39 PM
Let's hope Kelly doesn't freeze this time. He couldn't string 2 passes together last time out.

paul_oshea
10/10/2006, 2:40 PM
that line up is worrying to say the least. a back four that has never played together before, how many caps have they in total between them?the average age must be about 24?

NeilMcD
10/10/2006, 2:44 PM
Lads its all worrying but its the best we have available to be honest at the moment. The biggest thing Staunton has to do tomorrow is play a balanced team. No matter what players you have avaiable you shoudl always try to go for balance. That means no Kilbane in centre of the park.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2006, 2:52 PM
Hear Hear

One odd thing: Foley was preferred to Kelly, but Kelly now starts? Confused.

Paddy Garcia
10/10/2006, 2:57 PM
Hear Hear

..and hehad a very poor game against Chile.

eirebhoy
10/10/2006, 2:58 PM
It's still a stronger defence than the one which started the Holland game. Hopefully McShane goes out there and leads the line as O'Brien and O'Shea certainly can't.

Dr. Ogba
10/10/2006, 3:02 PM
It's still a stronger defence than the one which started the Holland game. Hopefully McShane goes out there and leads the line as O'Brien and O'Shea certainly can't.

Absolutely..this could be a blessing in disguise and the chance of a lifetime for McShane. If he performs in this match I can't see any way back for O'Brien and we will see a future CB partner for Richie Dunne in the making.

On the other hand if he doesn't perform then we're relying on O'Shea and we're fooked!!

drinkfeckarse
10/10/2006, 3:12 PM
Hear Hear

That's what struck me but then I reminded myself that 50% of Stans decisions left me feeling that way. We've talked about this before though so we'll not got here again.

Decisions like that just consolidate my view that Stan is totally out of his depth with his constant contradictory decisions.

Istabraq
10/10/2006, 3:47 PM
Im very surprised Carsley didnt tell Stan where to go when he got the call. Very surprised.

keenanboy
10/10/2006, 3:47 PM
I think we should show some appreciation for Lee Carsley. Snubbed for these 2 games originally and only more than willing to hop on the next plane over when many others would have told Stan to get stuffed. Fair play to him.

Paddy Garcia
10/10/2006, 3:48 PM
Im very surprised Carsley didnt tell Stan where to go when he got the call. Very surprised.

I agree, fair play to him - hope he gets an extra cheer tomorrow. Especially with so many others crying off injured.

Closed Account 2
10/10/2006, 3:56 PM
Agree totally

AustinoAsprilla
10/10/2006, 4:03 PM
Fair play to him. He didn't do a Ruud Van N on us... Proves a point about Englishmen playing for us who apparently don't show the same commitment and passion... Cheers Lee.

pete
10/10/2006, 4:06 PM
Will Carsley retire again if he doesn't play tomorrow.

CraftyToePoke
10/10/2006, 4:07 PM
i dont think anyone could have blamed Carsley, or been surprised at all if he had had just two words for Staunton , the second one being ''off''

paul_oshea
10/10/2006, 4:24 PM
honestly wouldn't be suprised. Surely out of the 20 players in the squad 1 or 2 are future managers who have a bit of tactical sense and McDonald said everyone had their say. How Stan was allowed (by McDonald) to play Kilbane and Ireland in the centre I'll never know. As I said in another thread we might aswell have played 2 full backs at centre half.

eirebhoy are you not going to pick out the positives and say it wasnt that bad a result?