PDA

View Full Version : Which Pub do you drink in before a game at Lansdowne?

PaulB
10/10/2006, 2:24 PM
Just curious as they all seem to be Jammed.

I myself, normally Beggars Bush, occasionally the horse show house. Get in early to the beggars and its grand otherwise forget it, 1/2 hour queue to get a gargle..

Dawn_Run
10/10/2006, 2:31 PM
I've been partial to a pint or two in Paddy Cullens on occaision. Same story, in early for the goujons and a few swift ones before the moshing begins.

Ash
10/10/2006, 2:38 PM
Dont usually drink before games but usually meet
up with the rest of my mates at Beggers Bush

Cowboy
10/10/2006, 2:56 PM
Scruffy Murphys just off Mount St.

eirebhoy
10/10/2006, 3:16 PM
Scruffy Murphys would be where I'd go as I live a couple of minutes away. They somehow got planning permission to build an island which now takes over the road so you can sit and drink outside. Plenty of room and it's rarely packed.

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/scruffymurphys.html

Dawn_Run
10/10/2006, 3:38 PM
Plenty of room and it's rarely packed.

Famous last words eirebhoy :)

citizenerased
10/10/2006, 5:28 PM
Horseshow house is good, not too packed and excellent service

Roys Rolls
10/10/2006, 9:00 PM
Another vote for the HorseShow House ...

Down the back of the long bar, it is generally not too packed and the usual suspects are there most games ... :o

pete
10/10/2006, 9:13 PM
Mod: Poll added. I will add other if any suggests them. I think need to restrict to those close to the ground.

Student Mullet
10/10/2006, 9:17 PM
I buy my tins in Spar, Ballsbridge and drink them leaning against the bridge.

billybunter
11/10/2006, 12:29 AM
macdintons in south tampa. thats where i drink before a game in landsdowne. or wherever ireland play for that matter.

eirebhoy
11/10/2006, 12:43 AM
Mod: Poll added. I will add other if any suggests them. I think need to restrict to those close to the ground.
Scruffy Murphy's is a similar distance in the opposite direction (towards town) if coming from Lansdowne Road and would certainly be much closer for those coming from Havelock Square. You pass the couple of jam packed pubs on Bath Avenue. Pass Kitty O'Sheas which would also be crowded and you're basically there. It gets a decent enough crowd for the matches but you're not queueing up for ages and chances are you'll get a seat.

Good idea for a poll btw.

Hibs4Ever
11/10/2006, 6:57 AM
The Dubliner in Jury's Hotel

Peadar
11/10/2006, 9:23 AM
How the hell did you leave Murray's off the list, Pete?

pete
11/10/2006, 9:26 AM
How the hell did you leave Murray's off the list, Pete?

Its closed. :p

green army
11/10/2006, 11:29 AM
the waterloo on baggot street.

Paulie
11/10/2006, 11:56 AM
We normally go to what had been known as Oil Can Harrys on Mount Street. I think it might be called Kehoes now. It's near to the ground and it's easy enough to get a pint in there. We used to go to The Lansdowne Bar but there were a couple of times before matches where getting a pint would take literally half an hour so it was time for a change.

Block G Raptor
11/10/2006, 12:06 PM
Normally get my fill in connolly station then head straight to the game (no i'm not one of the late arrivers usually in at least half hour before kick off)

Clipper
11/10/2006, 12:22 PM
Wellington on Bagott Street, usually not too jammed and they have a big screen upstairs for any match on before hand. Bit of a rush to the match when you try to get one for the road and the anthems are being played though!!!!!

eirebhoy
11/10/2006, 12:23 PM
We normally go to what had been known as Oil Can Harrys on Mount Street. I think it might be called Kehoes now. It's near to the ground and it's easy enough to get a pint in there. We used to go to The Lansdowne Bar but there were a couple of times before matches where getting a pint would take literally half an hour so it was time for a change.
It's back to Oil Can Harry's again. I drink there the odd time outside of match days and it gets a max of about 10 people in there most nights. :) It's actually right around the corner from Scruffy Murphy's, literally 50 metres. It does get a decent enough crowd before games (not so much after) and the team bus passes by it. :)

I was there before and after the Swiss match and it was very good. Quite a few Swiss there. The good thing about it is plenty of Irish music on the juke box.

Schumi
11/10/2006, 12:25 PM
Murray's before it closed. I'll be drinking in (or near :D) Bellamy's tonight as my tickets are on the South.

Conor H
11/10/2006, 12:38 PM
Beggars Bush always-good crack down there.Unfortunately couldn't get the GUST bus down today so i'm off now to get the train and should be there for around 6 30!:)

ltfc_2004
11/10/2006, 12:42 PM
dont forget searsons on baggot st

pineapple stu
11/10/2006, 12:43 PM
Bellamy's before if I'm in the South; haven't worked out an alternative to Murray's if I'm in the north.

Lansdowne Hotel afterwards.

Peadar
11/10/2006, 12:58 PM
Seriously guys, have you looked at the poll you're voting in!

"What pub do you think in..."
Murray's might be closed for beer but surely it's still open for thinking in???

Schumi
11/10/2006, 1:30 PM
"What pub do you think in..."
Murray's might be closed for beer but surely it's still open for thinking in???
Don't think so. It seemed to be locked (boom boom) before the Holland game.

highlight100
11/10/2006, 4:40 PM
Waterloo on Baggot Street also

Dallasirish
11/10/2006, 5:00 PM
The Dubliner on Greenville AVE in Dallas TX !! Never that busy at 1.30 on a Wednesday afternoon! The yanks dont go out during the week in the bible belt never mind the middle o the day in the middle of the week! Happy Hour prices for match and after Saturday i will be takin full advantage!

Istabraq
12/10/2006, 9:20 AM
I presume Paddy Cullens is the Lansdown Bar?
That surely wasnt left off the list.

pegan
12/10/2006, 9:26 AM
Stopped going to the locals cause of the prices and the half hour wait!!

like my friend on Ballsbridge,,, buy in the local Spar and soup it in...BTW the spar has got in on the price racket and their prices are going up all the time...:eek:

joeSoap
12/10/2006, 9:32 AM

How about adding an 'A.N.Other' option. We always drink in Mulligans, Poolbeg St before and after games. 1 minute walk away from dart at Tara. Not too squashed...ok pint...

Hibs4Ever
12/10/2006, 1:14 PM
It's back to Oil Can Harry's again. I drink there the odd time outside of match days and it gets a max of about 10 people in there most nights. :) It's actually right around the corner from Scruffy Murphy's, literally 50 metres. It does get a decent enough crowd before games (not so much after) and the team bus passes by it. :)

I was there before and after the Swiss match and it was very good. Quite a few Swiss there. The good thing about it is plenty of Irish music on the juke box.

Was in Oil Can Harrys last night pre match, pretty quite until about 50 mad Czechs came in, great supporters, brilliant people

samabu92
12/10/2006, 6:16 PM
Always the Lansdowne bar, have never seen Ireland getting beat since started going there before game:) Stuck on delayed flight from Cyprus last night night though:mad: watched last 10 mins of 1st half in airport bar,then 2nd half( harp bar in Swords) both very dead.
Is lansdowne bar Paddy Cullens, somebody else has mentioned that?

Babysis
12/10/2006, 9:17 PM
I drank in quite a few pubs before the game, but the best one and the best craic was Smiths

AidoM and Sylvo and about 10 others, really good fun. Busy but not rammed, and a nice pint :)