PDA

View Full Version : Hey good lookin, what you got cookin?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Peadar
10/10/2006, 10:46 AM
I know Aberdonian Stu isn't the only one on here who loves his food so I was wondering if anyone is making anything interesting for tea tonight?

Need to pop into Tesco on the way home but I'll probably go for something simple.

Heat some crushed garlic in olive oil with chopped pointed sweet peppers and spring onions. Add some sliced chicken breast and baby corn. Add some mushrooms. Then add some oriental sauce. Served on a bed of noodles. (Love Amoy Straight To Wok Noodles)

Another option would be to stuff a chicken breast with black pudding and wrap it in a rasher. Then roast it, along with some baby new potatoes. Serve with garden peas and bread sauce. Simple to make and needs only about 40 minutes in the oven.

Any other suggestions?

Magicme
10/10/2006, 10:53 AM
I fancy veggie enchilladas...need the creamy sauce tonite.

BohsPartisan
10/10/2006, 10:54 AM
I'm big into my cooking. I'm pretty talented in the kitchen if I do say so myself. Not doing anything special tonight though.

Peadar
10/10/2006, 11:00 AM
Not doing anything special tonight though.

I've no objection to you telling us what you'd like to cook tonight, if you had all the ingredients and time required.

osarusan
10/10/2006, 11:02 AM
I fancy veggie enchilladas...need the creamy sauce tonite.

Either you or I have a very sick sense of humour.

tetsujin1979
10/10/2006, 11:09 AM
I'm handy enough in the kitchen, if you want something quick and tasty, heat between quarter to half a kilo of mince in a pan, then crush flat red kidney beans (I use Batchelor's - drain the fluid first) and add it to the mix. Add diced onions or peppers for flavor, and leave to simmer until the onions/peppers start to soften.
Serve in a wrap or totilla case with cheese and salad dressing. Takes about 15 minutes all in all, I find half a kilo of mince serves 2 people 2 wraps each.

Magicme
10/10/2006, 11:12 AM
Either you or I have a very sick sense of humour.

:eek: Its you my boy!!! Just cheese sauce is my comfort food and was very sick yesterday so am looking forward to some nice creaminess!

I find that when am not well I revert to childlike foods like macaroni cheese, cauliflower cheese or anything with cheese sauce. I think it reminds me of babyfood so I feel safer then!

If we are playing fantasy cooking I would make the following:

Deep fried pitta strips with roasted camebert & garlic to dip

Falafel and stuffed vine leaves served with humous and a crisp green salad.

Pears poached in strawberry vodka with cinnamon yoghurt for dessert.

God am starvin now!

Magicme
10/10/2006, 11:14 AM
I'm handy enough in the kitchen, if you want something quick and tasty, heat between quarter to half a kilo of mince in a pan, then crush flat red kidney beans (I use Batchelor's - drain the fluid first) and add it to the mix. Add diced onions or peppers for flavor, and leave to simmer until the onions/peppers start to soften.
Serve in a wrap or totilla case with cheese and salad dressing. Takes about 15 minutes all in all, I find half a kilo of mince serves 2 people 2 wraps each.

Thats pretty much what my kids will be eating tonite and I will be having similar minus the mince only will put the wrapped tortilla into a dish and pour cheese sauce over and put into oven for bout 10-15 mins.

drinkfeckarse
10/10/2006, 11:17 AM
Burger King.

osarusan
10/10/2006, 11:22 AM
Its funny.

Most of the foods mentioned here are pretty foreign, tortillas, pittas etc, but I cant get any Irish food over here and am going crazy.

All I want is soda bread, milk that tastes like milk, granny smith apples, and good sausages.

Is that too much to ask?

Bloody rice.

Magicme
10/10/2006, 11:22 AM
Havent had burger king in over a year...would love their old veggie whopper...it was quality!

Dodge
10/10/2006, 11:23 AM
I'm cooking Turkey Fajitas tonight. Nothing special. Use the Old El Paso kit, add 2 large turkey breast (cooked in wok for no real reason), red peppers, onions and lettuce if you want. 20 minutes max. If I'm hungry I'll do mexican Rice too

Magicme
10/10/2006, 11:26 AM
So looks like Mexican is the way to go tonite! I dont like to use the sauces tho, prefer to make my own coz my kids are sensitive to sugar and colourings and flavourings. Very rare that shop bought sauces or ready meals are available at our house.

Peadar
10/10/2006, 11:31 AM
...I cant get any Irish food over here and am going crazy.

Click... (http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc)

osarusan
10/10/2006, 11:39 AM
Click... (http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc)

Cheers Peadar!:D

The drool may short my computer.

Thats another few yen gone and a few pounds added to the waistline.

drinkfeckarse
10/10/2006, 11:41 AM
Have to admit, I'm not a great cook. I leave that stuff to my wife but I really should make more of an effort. I'm very fussy too unfortunately and the only vegatables I eat are potatoes and peas!

DonegalDub
10/10/2006, 11:42 AM
Delaney's Donkey:

Ingredients:

1 Rump Donkey Steak
1 Onion sliced (plenty of tears)
1 Potato, chipped (as in Had yours)

Method:

Grill over spit, turning frequently, making sure to spill plenty of blood.
Serve on a hot plate, dribbling with a little Sauce de Stan.

Ok, Peader? Spoil your appetite?!?!

BohsPartisan
10/10/2006, 11:52 AM
If I was doing something quick and easy it would be Some Spag with home made Pesto. When it comes to Pasta I think the simple recipes are best.
If I was doing something elaborate? Hmmmm...
I'd start with a roquefort/tomato salad. Slices of ripe tomato layered with asparagus tips topped off with a nice chunk of roquefort. For the dressing - wholegrain mustard, advocado oil and cider vinegar.
Then I'd have Cream of Wild Mushroom and Walnut Soup. Soak a good handful of dried wild mushrooms for half an hour. Drain and reserve the water. Finely dice a large Spanish onion and half a clove of garlic and lightly fry them in a little olive oil (sometimes I'll add a small knob of butter) until translucent but not brown. Add chopped fresh wild mushrooms, the dried wild mushrooms and some crushed walnuts. Turn up th eheat to a medium to high heat. When the mushrooms look cooked add a good glass of brandy and bang the heat up a bit more. when the liquid has nearly evaporated add half a litre of Vegetable stock and the water from the dried mushrooms (Should abot 250 ml). Bring to the boil. Add a pint of double cream then turn down the heat to simmer. Simmer for about half an hour. Serve with a swirl of cream on top.

Mains would be fried Tofu steak served with hard and soft fried noodles with a drizzel of Apple and Cinamon Sauce.

BohsPartisan
10/10/2006, 11:56 AM
So looks like Mexican is the way to go tonite! I dont like to use the sauces tho, prefer to make my own coz my kids are sensitive to sugar and colourings and flavourings. Very rare that shop bought sauces or ready meals are available at our house.

Yeah for Fajitas I normally marinade some quorn in nutmeg, cinnamon, chilli powder and Lemon or Lime Juice. Its nicer than the kits and healthier.

Magicme
10/10/2006, 11:58 AM
Sounds delicious except for the 'shrooms and the tofu. Am not a good veggie considering I dont eat either of those and hate cooked carrots too.

We should have a cook off sometime! Have u ever watched the programme "come dine with me" on channel 4? Would love to do that. Am gonna have a dinner party for some of my mates when am able to walk a bit better as a thank you for all their patiences during my incapacitation.

I love cooking Indian too and Sharwoods curry paste is probably the only cheat I use coz I think it is dam near impossible to get a better tasting curry than that.

BohsPartisan
10/10/2006, 12:01 PM
Sounds delicious except for the 'shrooms and the tofu. Am not a good veggie considering I dont eat either of those and hate cooked carrots too.

We should have a cook off sometime! Have u ever watched the programme "come dine with me" on channel 4? Would love to do that. Am gonna have a dinner party for some of my mates when am able to walk a bit better as a thank you for all their patiences during my incapacitation.

I love cooking Indian too and Sharwoods curry paste is probably the only cheat I use coz I think it is dam near impossible to get a better tasting curry than that.

I do a great curry. Haven't time to type out the recipe now but my wife will not let me make any other type of curry because she loves this one so much. I'll stick the recipe up later or tomorrow. I really have to think as I'm not used to writing this stuff down. I usually cook from memory unless I'm using a recipe from a book but even then I usually vary it, rarely stick to a recipe.
The soup is great. Even if you don't like shrooms as a rule you might still like it. The brandy makes it taste luxurious.

Magicme
10/10/2006, 12:05 PM
yeah am a similar cook with instinct kinda chef. If u could give me that receipe will give it a try! Ta love!

DonegalDub
10/10/2006, 12:08 PM
Get a life, lads! what is this ....a new version of Hell's Kitchen?!?!? Next thing will be Delia Smith joining foot.ie!!!

beans on toast, anyone????!

BohsPartisan
10/10/2006, 12:18 PM
Next thing will be Delia Smith joining foot.ie!!!

Well she is into her football.

Peadar
10/10/2006, 12:43 PM
It's great to have more traditional meals every now and then.
Roast beef, bacon & cabbage, shepherds pie, etc. but there's often too much for 1/2 people and you only have enough time on the weekends.

Shepherds pie takes a lot of effort for something with relatively straight forward ingredients.

Partial to a nice chicken pasta bake with cheese melted on top too.

the 12 th man
10/10/2006, 12:57 PM
Well she is into her football.

And she likes a wee dram.............:D

paul_oshea
10/10/2006, 1:34 PM
i cook a serious chicken fajita, some times i dont bother with wraps and just boil rice and mix it all together in the end. trust me its serious. but your arse knows about it the next day.

try sweet red jallapenos in fajita, really really adds to it.

finlma
10/10/2006, 1:48 PM
I do a mean chorizo risotto with lots of veg.

Also a fan of the pasta bakes. Coming into winter now I'll be cooking a lot of stews, casseroles, etc. Sausage casserole is lovely and very easy to make.

Aberdonian Stu
10/10/2006, 2:11 PM
I know Aberdonian Stu isn't the only one on here who loves his food

Oi!:mad:

paul_oshea
10/10/2006, 2:28 PM
Sausage casserole is lovely and very easy to make.

go on then.....

Poor Student
10/10/2006, 2:40 PM
Oi!:mad:

He's obviously a loyal reader of SMS. Be proud.

finlma
10/10/2006, 2:42 PM
go on then.....

Ok - cook up around 5 cups of veg first. Anything will do. I usually use a variation of carrots, turnips, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, spuds (cubed). Basically whatever veg you like.
Cook up 6 nice sausuages with a diced onion and cut them into biteable pieces.
Use 2 cans of condensed Campbells soup (mushroom, chicken and white wine, leek, whichever flavour you fancy) and a cup of milk.
Mix everything up, top with some stuffing (prepackaged stuff in Dunnes is perfect) and bung in the oven for 30 - 40 mins.

Feeds around 4 people.

Can sub chicken or any meat for sausage.

BohsPartisan
10/10/2006, 2:44 PM
Ok - cook up around 5 cups of veg first. Anything will do. I usually use a variation of carrots, turnips, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, spuds (cubed). Basically whatever veg you like.
Cook up 6 nice sausuages with a diced onion and cut them into biteable pieces.
Use 2 cans of condensed Campbells soup (mushroom, chicken and white wine, leek, whichever flavour you fancy) and a cup of milk.
Mix everything up, top with some stuffing (prepackaged stuff in Dunnes is perfect) and bung in the oven for 30 - 40 mins.

Feeds around 4 people.

Can sub chicken or any meat for sausage.
Or even Quorn Sausages eh?

Magicme
10/10/2006, 2:47 PM
Yuck hate quorn too. Not really fond of any meat substitutes but live on pulses and beans.

paul_oshea
10/10/2006, 2:56 PM
my house mate is a vegan, he is a great cook, as you have to be to eat the stuff that vegans eat!!!!

the most disappointing part, is that he is such a good cook, if only he put meat in it would be scrumptious

BohsPartisan
10/10/2006, 2:58 PM
Yuck hate quorn too. Not really fond of any meat substitutes but live on pulses and beans.

Pulses and beans are good but I'd be bored with them all the time.

Aberdonian Stu
10/10/2006, 3:07 PM

Oh of course, how could I have forgotten that :D

Speaking of which...

Anyone wishing to recommend a coffee or coffee house for the Sunday Morning Special (it's a column I write in the UCD match programme) Dublin Coffee rankings can either PM me or email sundaymorningspecial@hotmail.com

The current number 1 is the latte from Haagen Dazs but I am always looking for new coffees and locations to include in my analysis. All locations welcome however only those within the borders of Dublin County (all four council districts for the smartasses) can be included in the rankings.

Magicme
10/10/2006, 3:15 PM
Pulses and beans are good but I'd be bored with them all the time.

I know what you mean. I do like the odd bit of Linda McCartney's stuff like her sausages but am bit wary of anything that looks & feels like meat!

BohsPartisan
10/10/2006, 3:26 PM
but am bit wary of anything that looks & feels like meat!

:eek:

Sorry couldn't resist that one! ;)

Magicme
10/10/2006, 3:28 PM
ha ha ha. Its very true. *smiles her most innocent smile*

osarusan
10/10/2006, 3:32 PM
ha ha ha. Its very true. *smiles her most innocent smile*

But yet you like creamy sauce!!:eek:

Magicme
10/10/2006, 3:39 PM
Stop it! God I know food & sex can often be fun to combine but give me a break here boys. Dont make me put u over my knee!

endabob1
10/10/2006, 4:15 PM
Not sure if you can get Mrs Balls Chutney at home these days, it's a South African thing but most of the supermarkets here (engerland) stock it, it's great for adding to curries & particularly good in a sheps pie.
Tonight will be thai, bit of a lazy ba$tard really with the sauces so it's a green curry paste, coconut milk, a few chillies, some green veg, and a bit of lemongrass oh and a dead chicken! Yummy:D

Peadar
10/10/2006, 4:26 PM

Or perhaps I simply read this thread. (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=42726) :rolleyes:

Schumi
10/10/2006, 4:32 PM
Or perhaps I simply read this thread. (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=42726) :rolleyes:Or just met him once. :D

paul_oshea
10/10/2006, 4:34 PM
Mrs Balls Chutney

what is tha ti havent seen it?

pete
10/10/2006, 4:40 PM
Re-heated home made Lasagne for me tonight. Accompanied with what left in the fridge.

Magicme
11/10/2006, 7:54 AM
My 12(today) son has wanted to be a chef since he was 4 & I have always got him to help in the kitchen & he makes some great food already. I bought him the new Jamie Oliver book yesterday as part of his presents and such excitement this morning! He was planning a 3 course dinner he is gonna cook. The book is fantastic. Its not just receipes but teaches about the different cuts of meat, how to deal with fish, where to shop for stuff etc. Also has loads of tips about things from wearing an apron so if you get splashed with hot water or oil you can remove it quickly b4 it soaks into your clothes and burns you to what are the essential tools in your kitchen. All the money goes to the 15 Foundation too. So basically I will be taking a back seat in the kitchen and letting him wow us with his cheffing!

First
11/10/2006, 8:22 AM
Happy Birthday Magicme's son.:)

Magicme
11/10/2006, 8:30 AM
Will pass on your good wishes when he gets home from school covered in eggs and flour