PDA

View Full Version : Any Sparkys in the house?

drinkfeckarse
10/10/2006, 9:08 AM
Are there any electricians or people in the know with regards to that stuff that are members here? I could do with a bit of advice on a small issue I have.

I have 6 x 12v 20w dichroic halogen bulbs in my bathroom that run off 2 seperate loops of 3 into 2 different transformers.

3 of the bulbs stopped working so I assumed one of the bulbs had taken out the other 2 in the line. I tried one new bulb in each of them last night (like you would with Christmas tree bulbs) to see if I could sort it but none of the positions came on. I tried the bulb in one of the 3 working lights to make sure it was a working bulb and it did come on in that loop of 3.

Is it the 12v transformer that is gone down then and if so, is it something I can change myself as I can source them at my work or should I get an electrician to do it?

Many thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas!

sparkey
10/10/2006, 9:47 AM
Changing a transformer is straight forward enough. The most important thing is to make sure that the new transformer has the correct wattage rating. For your situation you will need a traffo with at least a 60 watt rating. But as a sparks (hence the Name) I would recommend that you get an electrician to fix it for you.

drinkfeckarse
10/10/2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks Sparkey! I think it said 65w on it but I was just concerned about about anything possibly holding a charge and I just wanted someone to confirm that it is probably the transformer and not something else.

I know an electrician here so at the very least I would phone him first anyway. Any reason why my 2 transformers are different? One is an old style black box type, the other is a white plastic box that I'm sure says digital somewhere on it. The older style one is the one that's gone.