PDA

View Full Version : Tonights match

Battery Rover
09/10/2006, 7:26 PM
Shamrock Rovers 1-0 Limerick FC

D McGill 17

JC_GUFC
09/10/2006, 7:42 PM
2-0 now, 4-minute Myler scored from a free after the Limerick keeper was sent off for handling outside the area.

Looks like it's gonna be a very close finish!

JC_GUFC
09/10/2006, 7:52 PM
3-0 Ht.

MrJoeSoap
10/10/2006, 12:19 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/1009/shamrockrovers.html

Shamrock Rovers got their title hopes right back on track with a facile 3-1 win against a Limerick side that finished with ten men.

The win moves Pat Scully's Hoops to within three points of joint- leaders Galway United and Dundalk, though Rovers have a game in hand.

Dominant from the start, Rovers came close on two occasions through Ger Rowe, before the lively striker was instrumental in their first goal on 17 minutes.

Rowe won possession and fed the ball in to Andy Myler, with the big striker showing terrific feet to cut past a defender and get in a shot.

Limerick keeper Austin O'Neill allowed the ball squirm under his body and David McGill raced in to force the ball home for his first goal of the season.

The game was effectively over on 32 minutes when O'Neill handled Myler's chip outside the area and was dismissed by referee Derek Tomney.

Striker Shane Guerin was sacrificed for replacement keeper John Healy, but he was helpless as Myler curled a splendid free kick low around a poorly constructed wall.

Rovers added a third two minutes before the break.

Myler combined well again with Rowe to play his strike partner through on goal and the finish was sublime, as the delicate chip easily beat Healy.

Ray Kenny, moved up to midfield, should have added a fourth 20 minutes from time, but Healy made a good parry before Conor Sinnott cleared Kenny's follow-up off the line.

Substitute Derek McCarthy drilled home from just inside the box on 75 minutes to give Limerick some consolation.

Shamrock Rovers: Murphy; G O'Brien, Price, Kenny, Clarke; Pender (Purcell, 78 mins), Perth (Ryan, 38 mins), E. McGill, D McGill; Myler, Rowe (Breen, 68 mins).

Limerick FC: O'Neill; Purcell (Pender, 78 mins), Finucane, Buckley; Molan, Cooney (McCarthy, 65 mins), Lester, Burke (Sinnott, 58 mins), Heffernan; Guerin (Healy, 33 mins), Barrett.

Referee: Derek Tomney (Dublin).

facile \FAS-uhl\, adjective:
1. Easily done or performed; not difficult.
2. Arrived at without due care or effort; lacking depth; as, "too facile a solution for so complex a problem."
3. Ready; quick; expert; as, "he is facile in expedients"; "he wields a facile pen."

Had to look that one up myself!

NY Hoop
10/10/2006, 12:13 PM
Could and should have been 7. Can see how galway got 5 against them. 3 up at half time means it was always going to be hard to replicate that in the second half.

Is it a matter of time before Drew gets off the touchline and appoints Tommy Lynch?

Limerick didnt even have a sponsor:eek:

KOH

manic da hoop
10/10/2006, 2:10 PM
Apparently the reserve keeper had Man Utd shorts on too, with the number 7 on his jersey falling off - demeaning for all concerned. I've seen pub teams that look more professional.

ciaraa
10/10/2006, 2:57 PM
Apparently the reserve keeper had Man Utd shorts on too, with the number 7 on his jersey falling off - demeaning for all concerned. I've seen pub teams that look more professional.

what about when the limerick player was stretchered off on the top of a table? thats pretty amateurish looking to me.

manic da hoop
10/10/2006, 3:50 PM
what about when the limerick player was stretchered off on the top of a table? thats pretty amateurish looking to me.

Fair point, and one which the club made steps to rectify this morning. Then again, if it had happened to a visiting player at Rathbane he would probably have bundled into the back of a van and driven out to some back lane in the country and knee-capped.

Lim till i die
10/10/2006, 4:29 PM
Is it a matter of time before Drew gets off the touchline and appoints Tommy Lynch?

Limerick didnt even have a sponsor:eek:

Tommy apparently doesn't want the job which is a shame because at least we'd be solid with him in charge

As for the lack of sponsor I blame Pat Dolan :mad:

Who got stretchered off for Limerick??