PDA

View Full Version : U-19's qualify for second round!

tetsujin1979
09/10/2006, 4:22 PM
After the debacle of the weekend, something to cheer us up, Ireland's U-19's qualified for the second round of qualifiers for the UEFA U-19 qualifiers.
Adam Rooney of Stoke notched a hat trick as Belarus were put to the sword 4-1, with Norwich City's Michael Spillane getting the other.
Ireland qualify as Belarus also lost their opening game to the Dutch, who beat Macedonia 1-0 this afternoon, leaving onlt the final group positions at stake in the game between the Boys in Green and L'Oranje this Wednesday.
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1236
This marks the second set of underage teams to qualify for the second round after the U-17's success in recent weeks. Maybe the youth setup isn't as bad as we all make it out to be? Personally I think the rot sets in at the U-21's, but anyone who knows me is well acquainted with my thoughts on Don Givens.

Peadar
09/10/2006, 4:31 PM
Sean McCaffrey does great work with the young lads.
Thought that game was cancelled because of the weather?

eirebhoy
09/10/2006, 5:13 PM
The U19s were unlucky in the Elite qualifying rounds last year when the 4 central midfielders in the squad all pulled out. The U17s got 2 players sent off in their final Elite qualifier when all they needed was a draw to get them into the finals. McCaffrey's doing a decent job. It's strange how we're so succesful at underage level (bar U21s) over the last 10 years.

tricky_colour
09/10/2006, 9:26 PM
Adam Rooney got a hat-trick, is he any relation to Wayne?

RiffRaff
09/10/2006, 9:42 PM
any chance we could put these lads out on Wednesday???:cool:

DmanDmythDledge
09/10/2006, 10:25 PM
I'm pretty sure he's not.

tricky_colour
09/10/2006, 10:43 PM
any chance we could put these lads out on Wednesday???:cool:

Belarus are hardly world class opposition :p

soccerc
09/10/2006, 11:12 PM

No, younger brother of Mark Rooney of St Pats. He's from Palmerstown not Tan town;)

co. down green
09/10/2006, 11:16 PM
Belarus are hardly world class opposition :p

38 places above Cyprus in the world rankings !!!:)

Stuttgart88
10/10/2006, 7:42 AM
Don't get too excited lads. Don Givens is lurking around the corner to take these lads on.

FootballsKing
10/10/2006, 8:13 AM
anyone know why anthony stokes was not playing? hes only just turned 18!

Superhoops
10/10/2006, 8:19 AM
anyone know why anthony stokes was not playing? hes only just turned 18!

Hear there was some row going on between his dad who is a football agent and FAI. Don't know any details or even if it is true.

eirebhoy
10/10/2006, 11:39 AM
I doubt it. I think he's just a member of the U21s now, poor lad.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2006, 1:06 PM
I think he's just a member of the U21s nowAh no, there must be a more sinister angle to it than just that :)

eirebhoy
12/10/2006, 4:19 PM
I forgot all about the final game. We won 2-0 with Dennehy and Rooney scoring the goals. Rooney got 5 goals in 3 games.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1254

The Dutch team contained most of the players that finished runners up in the U17 European Championships. Belarus were also one of the 8 teams to qualify for that while Macedonia were the hosts of this 4 team group. So it was a tough group and 3 wins out of 3 is encouraging.

DeNiro
12/10/2006, 4:42 PM
Would it be wise for the FAI to appoint a good U21 manager to ensure that we are, as they say, 'building for the future.' I don't think Don Given is good enough really. We should look to appoint a good foreign coach to move our next crop forward.

Stuttgart88
13/10/2006, 8:36 AM
Givens is a disaaster. No argument whatsoever.

endabob1
13/10/2006, 9:07 AM
Would it be wise for the FAI to appoint a good U21 manager to ensure that we are, as they say, 'building for the future.' I don't think Don Given is good enough really. We should look to appoint a good foreign coach to move our next crop forward.

As mentioned elsewhere I think it would be a good idea for the FAI to appoint a young manager to the U21 role for them to learn the skills required for international management before eventually becoming part of the senior set up.
In fact Stan would have been ideal for the U21 job:D

Billsthoughts
13/10/2006, 9:12 AM
what about aldridge for the under 21 job?
he clearly still cares bout Irish football and it wouldnt be that time consuming? might give an indication of whether he was good enough for the senior job

cheifo
13/10/2006, 9:13 AM
So our u19 team play Holland off the park(apparantly) a few days after columnists were saying we dont produce young players with technique.
What happens to them before they get to senior age?

eirebhoy
13/10/2006, 9:23 AM
So our u19 team play Holland off the park(apparantly) a few days after columnists were saying we dont produce young players with technique.
I'd love to know myself. It seems the U17s and U19s have won every qualifying group they've been in for the past few years.

youngirish
13/10/2006, 10:07 AM
Don Givens gets his hands on them at U21 level and destroys them confidence wise and ability wise.

Dodge
13/10/2006, 10:29 AM
More than likely they end up not being big enough for senior football...

An expereinced coach should be in charge of the Under 21s. Someone who knows how to deal with young(ish) players. We don't need someone who's learning his trade, we need someone who knows what they're doing

Dr. Ogba
13/10/2006, 10:37 AM
Don Givens gets his hands on them at U21 level and destroys them confidence wise and ability wise.

I'm all for a bit of Don Givens bashing but surely their coaches at club level should be the main influence on how they develop?

The international u21 coach should complement this and should be the man to give them a leg-up to the senior international arena which Don Given's obviously isn't. But to put the blame squarely on ivens for players not developing fully is a bit harsh...

youngirish
13/10/2006, 11:48 AM
I'm all for a bit of Don Givens bashing but surely their coaches at club level should be the main influence on how they develop?

The international u21 coach should complement this and should be the man to give them a leg-up to the senior international arena which Don Given's obviously isn't. But to put the blame squarely on ivens for players not developing fully is a bit harsh...

Success at U21 level breeds success at the senior team. We've had no success at U21 level since Givens took over and he's had some decent players to work with.

Dr. Ogba
13/10/2006, 2:23 PM
Success at U21 level breeds success at the senior team. We've had no success at U21 level since Givens took over and he's had some decent players to work with.

True...I agree that Givens is an absolutely useless manager alright but come to think of it have we ever had a successful u21 team in the supposed "golden era" of Irish football?? Our u16/u17/u19s have always been competitive on a European/World stage but as soon as they reach u21 that's it. Maybe McCafferty should be promoted to the u21s or, failing that, I think Brian Kerr would actually be an ideal appointment for u21 manager. Unfortunately, I doubt the FAI in their wisdom would make such an astute appointment...:rolleyes:

soccerc
13/10/2006, 2:32 PM
We don't need someone who's learning his trade, we need someone who knows what they're doing

Sean McCaffrey it is so

Stuttgart88
13/10/2006, 2:34 PM
And what chance is there of that?

Has anyone in the national press even muttered the slightest of slight grumbles against Givens' appalling record? Have they phuck.

drummerboy
13/10/2006, 3:45 PM
Isn't it ironic that having won U18 and U16 titles in the late ninties, we find ourselves at our lowest ebb in 25 years, eight years after these youth successes. In theory we should have a really strong side. Where did it all go wrong. FAI - DELANEY - STAUNTON?

Paddy Garcia
13/10/2006, 4:41 PM
Isn't it ironic that having won U18 and U16 titles in the late ninties, we find ourselves at our lowest ebb in 25 years, eight years after these youth successes. In theory we should have a really strong side. Where did it all go wrong. FAI - DELANEY - STAUNTON?

...but not many of those players made it to the top.