PDA

View Full Version : Eamon Dunphy on Ireland's manager

Pablo
09/10/2006, 11:39 AM
Ok we all know his opinions on this and in the past but he made some great points on the Marian Finnucane show on RTE 1 yesterday morning. He said that Steven Kenny, Pat Fenlon and Damian Richardson would all be better suited to the job and Stauntons employment was an insult to them, the league and the fantasic results in the Uefa Cup and Champions league they've gotten in the last 3 seasons

Billsthoughts
09/10/2006, 11:45 AM
If he isusing the eircom league a stick to beat staunton with then it is just that. he was only saying it will never amount to nothing in last weeks tribune.

Soper
09/10/2006, 11:46 AM
He said that? Wow, I never thought he'd say something as constructive as that.

OwlsFan
09/10/2006, 11:58 AM
Ok we all know his opinions on this and in the past but he made some great points on the Marian Finnucane show on RTE 1 yesterday morning. He said that Steven Kenny, Pat Fenlon and Damian Richardson would all be better suited to the job and Stauntons employment was an insult to them, the league and the fantasic results in the Uefa Cup and Champions league they've gotten in the last 3 seasons

So speaks the great lover of the Eircom League - the man who supported the Kilcoynes when they sold Milltown to propery developers.

Do you really believe that for one minute that if the FAI has appointed a League of Ireland manager he would have supported that choice? He is a liar and a hypocrite.

God, how are people continually taken in by him in this country ?

drinkfeckarse
09/10/2006, 12:02 PM
So speaks the great lover of the Eircom League - the man who supported the Kilcoynes when they sold Milltown to propery developers.

Do you really believe that for one minute that if the FAI has appointed a League of Ireland manager he would have supported that choice? He is a liar and a hypocrite.

God, how are people continually taken in by him in this country ?

My thoughts exactly. If any of the above had been appointed he would have had the same views as he does of Staunton like "out of his depth" etc.

gustavo
09/10/2006, 12:04 PM
Is it possible that he was using the eL as example to show how bad he thinks Staunton is , not cos he thinks anything of the managers we have in this country

Dodge
09/10/2006, 12:09 PM
Is it possible that he was using the eL as example to show how bad he thinks Staunton is , not cos he thinks anything of the managers we have in this country

Didn't hear but would imagine he said something liek "even the likes of Stephen Kenny..." when referring to them. Total hypocrit and liar.

The Swordsman
09/10/2006, 12:14 PM
Was this the same Eamon Dunphy who was critical of Brian Kerr's appointment?

Why do people take this gob***** so seriously?

Pablo
09/10/2006, 12:18 PM

well i don't.....but the points he made are true IMO

The Swordsman
09/10/2006, 12:31 PM
Pablo

Apologies. My comments weren't directed at you.

I wasn't questioning the points made by Dumpy - just his sincerity.

tetsujin1979
09/10/2006, 12:39 PM

I thought he approved of Brian Kerr's appointment? Since he had done so well at underage level, and McCarthy had done so poorly, dunphy saw him as an ideal appointment, an antidote to the lack of professionalism that the McCarthy tenure had brought in. When Kerr failed to qualify, Dunphy changed his tune, saying the FAI had appointed someone with no experience at this level and had failed to inspire the players.

Stuttgart88
09/10/2006, 1:47 PM
I thought both Dunphy & Giles wished Kerr well but said he wouldn't be up to it.

Anyway, agree (yet again) with Owls Fan, esp about Milltown & the Kilcoyne treachury.

wws
09/10/2006, 2:00 PM
I thought both Dunphy & Giles wished Kerr well but said he wouldn't be up to it.

Anyway, agree (yet again) with Owls Fan, esp about Milltown & the Kilcoyne treachury.

and as kerr said himself in belated reply - thats rich coming from Giles....

Peadar
09/10/2006, 2:02 PM
I don't care what stick is being used, anyone beating Staunton/The FAI is ok in my book.

McGinty
09/10/2006, 2:08 PM
Dunphy is an entertainer who critisises when nobody else will. anyone who watched the TV3 panel the other night and their "taking the positives" attitude (less so on Aldridges part) will see how dunphy would have been a breath of fresh air.

saying that you always gotta take what dunphy says with a pinch of salt..

eirebhoy
09/10/2006, 3:49 PM
Dunphy and Dolan were both on RTE just there and I actually agreed with everything Dunphy said.

NeilMcD
09/10/2006, 4:26 PM
what did they say Eirebhoy

pete
09/10/2006, 4:35 PM
We certainly live in a bizarre world if Dunphy is praising the eL although still in a "sure they'd even be better than Staunton..." way.

:eek:

eirebhoy
09/10/2006, 4:55 PM
what did they say Eirebhoy
He mentioned Fenlon, Kenny and Richardson again so it was probably just a rehash of his Daily Star column. He said he went overboard after the Holland match but he has nothing personal against Stan. He just knew after that game that Stan basically hadn't a clue and things like organisation just weren't there. Anyone involved in football could see this and most Irish football fans could see it, crediting Irish fans for their knowledge of the sport. :)

Dolan didn't blame the manager at all and was just blaming it on the FAI for appointing him. He also said an Eircom league manager wouldn't even be considered for the job.

Dave77
09/10/2006, 7:41 PM
Dunphy was by no way praising the EL, he was using the example that bad managers of a crap league (not my opinion at all) could have done better. he defnitely does not think anything of the EL.

DmanDmythDledge
09/10/2006, 10:24 PM
He also said an Eircom league manager wouldn't even be considered for the job.
That's unfortunately very true.

CollegeTillIDie
09/10/2006, 10:41 PM
Eamon Dunphy said in 1996 that Wimbledon would be playing in the English Premiership in Dublin! HE WAS WRONG!
In 2006 they are still in England in Milton Keynes. The fans voted with their feet and founded a new club AFC Wimbledon in 2002.
Chances are he is using the EL managers just as an excuse to bash the FAI and Staunton in turn.
On this occasion bashing them is what's required.

BobbySands
10/10/2006, 12:44 AM
[QUOTE=Tuff Paddy;551188]Why do Irish people even listen to what that clown has to say? He achieved the sum total of nothing in the game and has carved out a career earning easy money for giving inflamatory opinions.

Does he not have a few Ireland caps ? Wasn't he a professional player ? Didn't he write one of the most widely recognised nuts and bolts biographies of the game ever ?

To say he achieved the "sum total of nothing in the game" belies a laughable ignorance.

Love him or loathe him, a stopped clock is right twice a day and his comments on Stan are right on the money.

Qwerty
10/10/2006, 1:53 AM
I feel sorry for Stan, but he really isn't tuned in to reality. He gave an interview to Match Of The Day before the Cyprus game and again he was going on about building for the future etc etc, he said "the U21s have been doing very well for the past couple of years". ?? Unbelievable.

Against Cyprus only McGeady and Ireland were young, all the other were 25 and above. Most of the guys who played should be reaching their prime about now.

It's not the players, they obviously can do a lot lot better. They just need a gameplan and organization.

gypsydownunder
10/10/2006, 4:36 AM
Eamon Dunphy is a character.

It would appear that most posters to date don't like what he says. I'm not one of those. I think that on a lot of issues, he DOES talk sense.

Let me at least put forward another point of view on some points raised.

Eamon Dunphy was a modest footballer for Millwall and Ireland. He has never claimed to have been anything else.

He has now been a respected journalist for over 20 years, beginning with sports columns in The Sunday Independent and The Sunday Tribune [and he seems to chop and change between the two ever since]. Arguably, his partnership with John Giles in amongst the best in current punditry - certainly when they're NOT on, an Ireland game is different [and God help us about what might have happened on saturday, if Eamon nearly self combusted during our last debacle - the Egypt game]. Note to Tuff Paddy, there is definately no "easy money" to be earned in Irish Journalism (and even if there is now, there definately wasn't in the 1980s. Eamon may be cantankorous, and out-spoken, but he works hard and like any good journalist substantiates his claims. It WAS embarressing to watch Ireland play Egypt all those years ago.

He is a follower of the game in Ireland - in fact a long with his mate Johnny, he chose to end his career playing League Of Ireland with Shamrock Rovers until injury ended his career. How many other Irish die-hard greats have come to play for their League of Ireland team?

Eamon Dunphy loves Irish football and the Ireland team. He as much as the most ardent supporter wants to see us do well. Which is why he gets so upset by the amateurism of the FAI. Long may he continue to express his views.

OwlsFan
10/10/2006, 7:15 AM
Eamon Dunphy is a character.

It would appear that most posters to date don't like what he says. I'm not one of those. I think that on a lot of issues, he DOES talk sense.

Let me at least put forward another point of view on some points raised.

Eamon Dunphy was a modest footballer for Millwall and Ireland. He has never claimed to have been anything else.

He has now been a respected journalist for over 20 years, beginning with sports columns in The Sunday Independent and The Sunday Tribune [and he seems to chop and change between the two ever since]. Arguably, his partnership with John Giles in amongst the best in current punditry - certainly when they're NOT on, an Ireland game is different [and God help us about what might have happened on saturday, if Eamon nearly self combusted during our last debacle - the Egypt game]. Note to Tuff Paddy, there is definately no "easy money" to be earned in Irish Journalism (and even if there is now, there definately wasn't in the 1980s. Eamon may be cantankorous, and out-spoken, but he works hard and like any good journalist substantiates his claims. It WAS embarressing to watch Ireland play Egypt all those years ago.

He is a follower of the game in Ireland - in fact a long with his mate Johnny, he chose to end his career playing League Of Ireland with Shamrock Rovers until injury ended his career. How many other Irish die-hard greats have come to play for their League of Ireland team?

Eamon Dunphy loves Irish football and the Ireland team. He as much as the most ardent supporter wants to see us do well. Which is why he gets so upset by the amateurism of the FAI. Long may he continue to express his views.

"Eamon Dunphy loves Irish football". Pass me the sick bucket. I will (repeated) ask the question of this lover of Irish football - why did you support your friends, the Kilcoynes, when they were selling one the premier League of Ireland grounds: Glenmalure Park ? Why did the lover of Irish football want a half baked English team to play in Ireland ?

Eamon Dunphy may be "well respected" by those who cannot see what a miserable s**t stirring poisonous dwarf that he is. He is a hypocrite of the highest order (slates Mick McCarthy mercilessly and then when Ireland qualify for Japan/Korea he praises Mick to the hilt - best ever achievement by an Irish manager etc etc - only to go back to the venom after Saipan). He is a tabloid journalist and rants against the British tabloids. His original anti-McCarthy bias was based on the fact that his mate Joe Kinnear didn't get the gig. He has never managed any team but seems to think that he knows all the answers - in fact if you follow many of his predictions as a pundit on tv, you'll end up without a shirt on your back. He jeered (which is his usual method) both Italy and France at the start of the WC and most of the way through it - doh, both got to the Final. I could go on and on but I have to go to work. I despair that this creature is taken so seriously by so many. :rolleyes:

gypsydownunder
10/10/2006, 7:32 AM
I love Irish football. And personally, the selling of Milltown was brilliant. In fact anything to do with the demise of Shamrock Rovers is fantastic. And as far as I'm concerned good for football in Ireland. So how is support of the Kilcoynes incompatible with love of football in Ireland?

At the time there was a case for supporting Wimbledon. I was neutral but I could see the arguments from both sides. What's the problem? Eamon expressed an opinion and some agreed with it and some didn't. This is infinately better than having no opinion at all [if you're purporting to be a pundit] as then nobody will be for you and nobody against.

I agree that Eamon stirs Sh1te. But that's his job. He IS a populist journalist.

And by the way, just becasue you change your mind on a subject doesn't make you a hypocrite.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2006, 7:32 AM
I'd love someone to chart Dunphy's contradictions over the years.

In a sense I applaud Dunphy. He & Giles over the years have at least got their audience to think laterally about football amd question the propoganda we're fed by the likes of SKY TV. But in reality Dunphy's rants are merely soundbites to grab attention. In fact he'd be a far better anchor man than analyst in my opinion. He wouldn't be afraid to ask tough questions but you wouldn't want to hang on every word he says as a pundit.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2006, 7:35 AM
I love Irish football. In fact anything to do with the demise of Shamrock Rovers is fantastic. And as far as I'm concerned good for football in Ireland. Care to expand?

drinkfeckarse
10/10/2006, 7:56 AM
I'd love someone to chart Dunphy's contradictions over the years.

You'd be there a while methinks.

gypsydownunder
10/10/2006, 7:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydownunder View Post
I love Irish football. In fact anything to do with the demise of Shamrock Rovers is fantastic. And as far as I'm concerned good for football in Ireland.
Care to expand?

I support Bohemian FC.
Shamerock Rovers ignite rage within.

drinkfeckarse
10/10/2006, 8:03 AM
Fair enough but your comment that Shamrock Rovers demise would be "good for Irish football" just shows your hatred for them clouds your judgement. A club with their history and support deserves a special place in Irish football history in my view.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2006, 8:30 AM
That's what I think too.

geysir
10/10/2006, 9:51 AM
But in reality Dunphy's rants are merely soundbites to grab attention. In fact he'd be a far better anchor man than analyst in my opinion. He wouldn't be afraid to ask tough questions but you wouldn't want to hang on every word he says as a pundit.
Ask the hard questions directly when face to face? his nature is too sycophantic for that.
You didn't hear his tete la tete love in with Rod Liddle then?
excruciating but priceless.
I heard Dunphy when questioned about his previous heavy criticism of one politican later proven to be wrong. Dunphy admitted he was wrong, totally wrong but that he was right to raise the 100% wrong issues at the time.
How can a person with logic like that ever be taken seriously?

I do admit to sometimes enjoying watching the farce that is Dunphy.