PDA

View Full Version : In defence of George

SSS
18/09/2002, 5:17 PM
There seems to be some negative vibes amongst some posters here about GoC, which to be honest I can't understand at all.

- he has scored 6 goals already this season, one more and he'll equal last seasons top scorer
-he's playing in a new position, for him
-he does work hard ( think about Hartigan, LoBrien, Dobbs etc)
-he has amazing talent on the ball and uses it to good effect alot more often than he wastes it.
-he has, along with JoF been largely responsible for the huge buzz about the club this season.

How anyone can suggest that Jimmy the Knome should be in ahead of him is beyond me. Jimmy is addicted to offside, misses more chances than he takes and his goal / game ratio is in the Hartigan, Dobbs level.

Just think - the opening goal of the season that started it all, that shot against Bray, the way he left 2 defenders for dead to set up JoF against Derry (I think?) - you know the one, and numerous examples of sublime skill that left the opposition dead in their tracks.

How many of last years squad can give you three or more memorable experiences????

The only thing that might be worth changing is to try him in midfield, but we already have King Rennie, Greg, Conor, Benno in there!

So there.

pete
18/09/2002, 5:36 PM
Originally posted by SSS
The only thing that might be worth changing is to try him in midfield, but we already have King Rennie, Greg, Conor, Benno in there!

I think thats the only think some people suggesting - i haven't heard anyone say he should be dropped.

btw i think he a victim of Gunthers away tactics anyway.

Éanna
18/09/2002, 7:13 PM
I don't think many want to see him dropped (if any at all) but i think it would be better to play him in midfield and put jimmy up front. Greg is the best option at left back at the mo, and probably a better option at right back than carey when hoggy comes back.

City Hero
19/09/2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by SSS
- he has scored 6 goals already this season, one more and he'll equal last seasons top scorer
-

For the record from the stato corner, top scorers last season & so far this season are as follows;

Season 2001-2002
Noel Hartigan 9 league + 1 league cup
Ollie Cahill 7 league + 1 league cup
Collin P O' Brien 6 league
Jimmy Mulligan 5 league

Season 2002-2003
John O Flynn 7 league + 5 cup
George O'Callaghan 3 league + 3 cup
Billy Woods 3 league + 3 cup
Greg O'Halloran 1 league + 2 cup

So John O'Flynn has already passed last season top scorer on total and another 2 will equal Noel Hartiganon league goals. George and Billy are 3 goals shy of Hartigoal.

dalo
19/09/2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by City Hero

So John O'Flynn has already passed last season top scorer on total and another 2 will equal Noel Hartigan. George and Billy are 3 goals shy of Hartigoal.

My problem with GOC is that yes he has illuminated some games with great flair but in some key games this year he has been totally anon. moreover his play his inconsistent he is more likely to try and fail with a fancy pass when all that is called for is a simple pass. the game gainst pat's was typical of that.

i would love to see guy improve as he is potentally a great player in the making. hs overall play has to be consistent. he should be the prime creative focus/hub of the team and he isn't.

Hecko
19/09/2002, 2:01 PM
I think playing him in midfiled is definitely an option, but what a lot of us are worried about is that he won't imose hiimself on teh game if it gets tight. Apart from Rennie, the other midfiled players we have can seem a bit lightweight in a physical game - especialy against Pats. I know that every other team in teh League has problems competing physically with Set Piece Ath. too, but George doesn't win much ball and we can't afford to take too many chances against Longford or Shels...It's a hard one to call:confused:

Hitman
19/09/2002, 9:22 PM
Surely it's time to retire the number ten shirt. The abuse of Georgie must be a follow on from that of Skippy and Hartgan.

Éanna
19/09/2002, 9:58 PM
Originally posted by Hitman
Surely it's time to retire the number ten shirt. The abuse of Georgie must be a follow on from that of Skippy and Hartgan.
LOL! Why didn't liam o'Brien wear it so! :D

Troy.McClure
20/09/2002, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by dalo
he is more likely to try and fail with a fancy pass when all that is called for is a simple pass. the game gainst pat's was typical of that. Am I the only one who thinks that he was one of our better players that night?

dalo
20/09/2002, 2:26 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Am I the only one who thinks that he was one of our better players that night?

probably troy;) GoC was driving me to edge of distratction at that game. on two occcasions he could have passed either to billy of Jof for a through ball and instead mucks it up.

the only guy who played that night was greg

Counting Crow
20/09/2002, 4:29 PM
Guys, how short our memories are.

We have the best home record in the League - I don't think anyone else has a 100% record in all competitions - correct me if I'm wrong.

Lest we forget:
3-0 vs. $hell$
3-2 vs UCD
9-0 vs Dun something or other
3-0 vs Derry
3-0 vs Bray
3-0 vs Monaghan
2-0 vsF Harps
3-2 vs Rovers ..... how sweet it was.

This is a good record no matter what League you play in.
In my opinion George was instrumental in many of these games ( 6 goals is a good return ).
So what if our away form has been patchy.....it will happen for us, just be patient.

My advice is enjoy what we have at the moment because it may not be too long before we are back to 0-0 draws in the rain vs the likes of Wterford and Galway .. now there's a thought to pi$$ you all off for the weekend.....!

James
20/09/2002, 4:36 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
correct me if I'm wrong.

ok twas:

9-0 v Dundrum
3-1 V Derry City (remember that peach of a goal from the free kick (http://community.webshots.com/photo/46736507/46740933fPtKPn) )

and our away form hasnt been patchy; its been poor if not very poor, the results although while not matching this, we were lucky imo to get a draw in dayler, the match in harps should have been lost if they had scored the peno, we were psss poor in richmond park, drogeda, and the mons match was very dissapointing

and the only way we're gona be back to playing waterford and galway is if we drop to div 1 and that no matter how bad we are or the situation is aint never gona happen kids.

pete
20/09/2002, 4:46 PM
The only ray of light in our away form is the 3 away league games have been against the teams with best home form. Bohs 'n pats are the other two best teams in the country at the moment & not many teams will beat Drogs at O2 Park.

I wasn't at Finn Park so can't comment on the performance but a draw ain't a bad result up there. Monaghan away in the cup was a terrible performance & result no matter what way you look at it though...

As has been said before the next 2 away games against midtable LT & $hel$ will give us a lot more insight - important we get a win away soon or the team will get a complex over it.

:eek:

James
20/09/2002, 4:49 PM
lol if u look at that pic you can see the player looking at the spot he's gona kick the ball into and all.

now if we had a giant screen at the st annes end relaying the match then devine would clearly have seen him looking at the top right corner (as you view the pic) and saved the goal , and therefore got his clean sheet :)

Counting Crow
20/09/2002, 6:52 PM
Guys you're missing my point.
For 8 euro the entertainment value has been excellent at home this year ( OK I can't vouch for the away trips - family commitments and all that ) but I still believe the team is too good, this year, NOT to rectify the "away" problem.

I've stood in the rain in the past watching scoreless draws against the likes of Waterford etc and defeats vs the likes of Kilkenny and UCD and I'll tell you this beats the crap out that any day.

All I'm saying is enjoy it ...... it won't last for ever.

We should be getting behind the current crop of players, not analysing them to death. We're not dealing with Ronaldo, Zidane or Keane for Gods sake.

I have no problem telling people to come and see the likes of George, Reno and JO'F this season. And do you know what, nobody has turned around to me this year and said "I can't believe you watch this crap".

They simply say "when's the next game?" ...... that, my friends, is the real litmus test.

Éanna
20/09/2002, 9:33 PM
And do you know what, nobody has turned around to me this year and said "I can't believe you watch this crap".

They simply say "when's the next game?" ...... that, my friends, is the real litmus test.
spot on

pete
23/09/2002, 8:49 AM
I have no problem telling people to come and see the likes of George, Reno and JO'F this season. And do you know what, nobody has turned around to me this year and said "I can't believe you watch this crap".

But won't those people be gone as fast as they appeared once the goals eventually dry up?

dalo
23/09/2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by pete

But won't those people be gone as fast as they appeared once the goals eventually dry up?

yup they sure will. remember all the clap happy fans who deserted us after the league race of 98-99

patsh
24/09/2002, 7:16 AM
See here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4354) for an article which talks about George, J O'F. The way to keep the fans is to have a team which has a chanc of winning something. People know you cannot win all the time, but if we can keep players like those mentioned and bring in more as time goes on, always have a chance of being the league or cup champions, then the "clap-happy" supporters will stay. City can always use their money...;)