PDA

View Full Version : The Epiphany Report - Recommendations to the FAI

blobbyblob
09/10/2006, 9:25 AM
We've had Genisis - Now we need an Epiphany.#

Key Recommendations

Removal of Steven Staunton from his position as manager
Apology to Steven Staunton for putting him in this position
Acknowledgement that the appointment of Staunton was an experiement that went wrong
Appointment of proven internationally experienced manager
Appointment of Shay Given as captain
Public apology by players, management and association issued to supporters for consistantly performing below par and not performing to the best of their ability.
Implementation of an annual charity Eircom League XI v Republic of Ireland XI game
Failure of any of these to be implemented within 6 months should result in the resignation of one John Delaney

Feel free to add your signiture and demands to this. I am dropping this into Merrion Square this Wednesday.

cavan_fan
09/10/2006, 9:42 AM
Removal of Steven Staunton from his position as manager
Agree
Apology to Steven Staunton for putting him in this position
Agree
Acknowledgement that the appointment of Staunton was an experiement that went wrong
Agree
Appointment of proven internationally experienced manager
I'd change this to appointment of proven professional manager. At this stage International experience is not essential. Would you say no to Sam Allardyce?
Appointment of Shay Given as captain
Would rather have Dunne but suspect it makes little difference
Signed agreement from all players to represent the national jersey with the pride and passion. Failure to do so will result in their removal from future squads until such time as the manager sees fit.
This should be the case anyway
Public apology by players, management and association issued to supporters for consistantly performing below par and not performing to the best of their ability.
I'd rather they played well in the future than apologised for the past
Implementation of an annual charity Eircom League XI v Republic of Ireland XI game

Completely disagree on this one. It would just reinforce the worrying EL vs Premiership split which could be a real problem. For what it's worth the way I'd like to see this developing is that we find the best LB in the EL and see if he can fill in. But he needs to be part of the team not a way of having a go at the Premiership players. Realistically for the next 10 years the vast majority of our players will be Premiership ones. We need to make sure they feel we want them to succeed.

Failure of any of these to be implemented within 6 months should result in the resignation of one John Delaney

F**k it, make him go now

blobbyblob
09/10/2006, 9:53 AM

Completely disagree on this one. It would just reinforce the worrying EL vs Premiership split which could be a real problem. For what it's worth the way I'd like to see this developing is that we find the best LB in the EL and see if he can fill in. But he needs to be part of the team not a way of having a go at the Premiership players. Realistically for the next 10 years the vast majority of our players will be Premiership ones. We need to make sure they feel we want them to succeed.

Just be interesting to routinely remind those in the squad that play in the UK that the EL boys are chomping at the bit. Wouldnt that be something to aim for. Surely the EL lads could give them a lesson in passion, pride and togetherness as well?

endabob1
09/10/2006, 9:56 AM
I'd agree with all the points Blobbyblob but there should be no reason for a "Signed agreement from all players to represent the national jersey with the pride and passion"
If the manager does his job players who don't play with pride in the shirt don't put it on again, simple.

I like the Charity game idea

blobbyblob
09/10/2006, 9:58 AM
I'd agree with all the points Blobbyblob but there should be no reason for a "Signed agreement from all players to represent the national jersey with the pride and passion"
If the manager does his job players who don't play with pride in the shirt don't put it on again, simple.

I like the Charity game idea

Point taken and removed

Dawn_Run
09/10/2006, 10:14 AM
Well played blobby, agree wholeheartedly with your Epiphany. The damage is repairable, but the Fai need to act NOW. Stan is too stubborn to walk away, he said he wont walk. He needs to be pushed, for everyones sake, including his.

gustavo
09/10/2006, 10:33 AM
What about looking at the bigger picture , facilities for youth players , changing of coaching mentalitys , looking to stop our best talent going abroad so early etc etc .

cavan_fan
09/10/2006, 10:53 AM
Just be interesting to routinely remind those in the squad that play in the UK that the EL boys are chomping at the bit. Wouldnt that be something to aim for. Surely the EL lads could give them a lesson in passion, pride and togetherness as well?

I'd like a team where we see EL players and British based players as equals on the same team.

I have to admit to not being an expert on the EL but could someone suggest valid players for the following places

Centre Back position alongside Dunne. I think we keep McShane around but need an experienced head instead of O'Brien.

Left Back to compete with sick note Harte

Central Midfield. This needs to be a ball winner. Some competition for Carsley needed.

3rd Striker. This is a tough position because I believe the quality of opposition is vital for a striker. Not sure if EL games give this yet? As I say I'm not an expert but all bias aside is playing against EL defences equivalent to playing against English Championship ones (since this is where our 3rd striker options play)

shakermaker1982
09/10/2006, 11:23 AM
I'd add the following :)

John O'Shea and Kevin Kilbane pay (out of their own pocket) for all fan travelling expenses. This would only stop when they 'retire' for good from the national side. O'Brien has the task of lugging all the fan's luggage around each respective airpoirt!!!

pineapple stu
09/10/2006, 1:01 PM
Epiphany Report?

Exodus Report more like. And a big one at that.

kingp35
09/10/2006, 3:37 PM
What about looking at the bigger picture , facilities for youth players , changing of coaching mentalitys , looking to stop our best talent going abroad so early etc etc .

Spot on. This is the most important issue facing Irish football.

endabob1
10/10/2006, 7:47 AM
Originally Posted by gustavo
I do think that there are 2 agendas here there is the national team's fortunes and the fortunes of the game as a whole in Ireland, clearly the 2 are linked, but there are quick fixes availible for the national team while the problem of fixing the infrastructure of the game as a whole will clearly take longer.
Am I mistaken in my belief that the genesis report was designed to sort out the infrastrucutre of the game?

Closed Account 2
10/10/2006, 8:51 AM
Epiphany Report?

Exodus Report more like. And a big one at that.

I was thinking Exorcism would be more appropriate !

Much is made of players not staying in the Eircom League and that impacting on the standard of the national team. I think this is only part of the problem. I agree with the sentiment that we can’t rely on the Premier League / English Football League as much as we used to. Around 10-15 years ago a lot of top English clubs had 2-3 (sometimes more) Irish players in the team or squad. At Man Utd there was the likes of Irwin and Keane, Arsenal had the likes of O’Leary and even Eddie McGoldrick, Liverpool, Whelan, Babb; Villa had Townsend, Staunton and McGrath. There just isn’t quite the same depth and quality now. While some clubs like Sunderland and to a certain extent Newcastle have some Irish players it is not as strong as it was.

I would like to see more Irish players playing abroad in leagues other than the English league. If you look at other countries with similar population sizes and leagues of similar strengths to the EL (Sweden, Croatia, Denmark, Czech Rep etc) then you will find that a lot of their players play in foreign leagues. Interestingly other countries whose players don’t travel abroad much (eg Hungary, Austria etc) also seem to be in the doldrums.

If more of our players played in leagues like the Dutch, Portuguese, Belgian, German and French leagues (to name a few) then I think it would give us a batch of players with more experience of the European game, and in the very long term could provide a raft of possible future managers (this would be 20-30 years down the line).