PDA

View Full Version : Cousins

geezer
08/10/2006, 10:31 AM
The signing of the season, he is proving to be a shrewd knowledgeable coach perhaps in the line of Kenny and fenlon. He seems to have the rear quality of making average players play in a system that utilises the full 14 players available at each game. Derek O Brien would go through a brick wall for cousins by the looks of it. Jack charlton done it with ireland for years, dropped the prima donnas and had faith in all the rest of his squad and the team effort and results improved dramatically. A sysem utilising the whole squad seems to be the prefered system of all the greats Mourinho,wenger and benitez as well. built from the back this team can only improve and that for me is the most exciting thing about the momentum at united at the minute

GUISAUltra
08/10/2006, 12:40 PM
have to agree with ya 100%, he's been absolutely fantastic. there is players there like dave and derek who looked like they were just fringe players but he has completely transformed all players and they are all playing out of there skin. i dunno how he's doing it but i just pray that he keeps doing it

eamo1
08/10/2006, 7:34 PM
a few weeks ago in the limerick game with an extra man i wondered would tony have the stones to go 4-3-3 but play to him because he went even more all out by going 3-4-3.
what you notice is the quality of ball played up to the feet of the front 2 now has greatly improved,conor or dave just drift slightly out wide and the ball is played by billys or wes right to their feet,this is in contrast to earlier in season when it was high aimless balls played to a zone around where the striker was.ive noticed a few other changes too ut ill try and hide my nerdish footballing knowledge for now

MyTown
09/10/2006, 3:34 PM
Somebody said to me today he's the ideal candidate for the Ireland job. That's not as crazy as it seems.

I think the Board deserves to be congratulated for getting him, but if he keeps going the way he's going, they'll have a hell of a job to keep him.

And, what about Drogheda? While I thought paul Doolin deserved all the credit for their success, it looks like they have really suffered by losing Tony.

His 3 transfer window signings were brilliant on Friday night. Gethins has been a revelation since getting a starting slot & O'Donnell who took some stick here for his early appearances at left full was fantastic against Rovers. Other contributors have pointed to Billy & Wes as their men of the Match, but for me it was between O'Donnell & Gethins.

corbyeire
09/10/2006, 3:54 PM
odonnell did win every header he went up for - bout time a game went right for him - gethins has been outstanding - covering so much ground, no wonder he was knackered at the end - same way against limerick aswell

geezer
09/10/2006, 5:28 PM
o donnell is a great tryer but i felt he got caught a few times again, one was very similiar in the first half to the headed goal that limerick scored and for 20 mins in the second half he was torn apart. Having said that he is a midfielder so its harsh to judge him, he is doing his best and thats all u can ask. if rovers switched rowe to o donnels side instead of nigels they may have got something

corbyeire
09/10/2006, 5:33 PM
was refering to gethins in limerick - mick had his usual game there - where he looked like he had 90mins played before a ball was kicked and was mentally and physically lethargic

GUISAUltra
09/10/2006, 7:19 PM
mick is doing his best in left back but his positioning does let him down an awful lot and gives him a lot more to do than he should have. that being said he ran his heart out against rovers and won lots of tackles so fair play

corbyeire
09/10/2006, 7:39 PM
yea gave him his credit for the rovers performance already

GUISAUltra
09/10/2006, 7:46 PM
yea gave him his credit for the rovers performance already

dont worry i wasnt criticising ya

corbyeire
09/10/2006, 7:51 PM
had a bit of confusion earlier with geezer - sometimes its hard to know what way people take you up online with the written word - and a lazy writer!

so stated the obvious...

;)

geezer
09/10/2006, 8:46 PM
ther corbyeire everybody has their opinion, the 3 signings have proved fantastic and add in the manager you would have to give the board and management 10 out of 10. now with info nights on the new league and the way the show was put on last friday (with even rovers fans ringing the garda station in galway congratulating utd and the guard who supports united loads of credit for their approach in handling matches) its momentum thats building and its a long way from 5 years ago