PDA

View Full Version : Staunton & FAI insult to eL players

Pages : [1] 2 3

pete
07/10/2006, 7:19 PM
So we've had the token gestures of calling eL players up to the squad when nothing at stake but with 9 players out injured Staunton prefers reserve team & lower english league players to the eL. Ireland lose 5-2.

Says a lot when Henderson playing lower League One in england gets in as 2nd choice keeper when the likes of Mick Devine has 2/3 of his league games as clean sheets this season & performed very well in europe in last few years.

Andy O'Brien plays reserve Premiership football & even starts the game.

Alan O'Brien another reserve Premiership player comes off the bench.

:rolleyes:

Soper
07/10/2006, 7:24 PM
I agree, it is terrible.It is also an insult to players that are playing well at the moment, namely McPhail at Cardiff, as well as the EL players who would undoubtedley make more of an effort.

dfx-
07/10/2006, 7:28 PM
Andy O'Brien plays reserve Premiership football & even starts the game.

Alan O'Brien another reserve Premiership player comes off the bench.

Can anyone tell me who Jonathan Douglas is or who he plays for etc. The first time I've heard of him was on the sideline with 10 minutes to go tonight.

Red&White
07/10/2006, 7:29 PM
That was an absolute disgrace tonight. I'm not normally one for for flying off the handle on the basis of one result, but that was a shambles, an embaresment and one of the worse Irish results of the last 20 years. I don't care what anyone says, our top EL players would have acquitted themselves far better tonight than those 'internationals' who were out there. They would have shown more heart, more willingness to fight, and more discipline. It's a farce that our top players, in the middle of a very competative season, and who have played in Europe in some cases, were overlooked and ignored. Staunton will get slaughtered for this in the press, but I doubt any of them will suggest bringing in some EL players either. At this rate, I'd be worried about ebing shown up by San Marino, let alone Wednesday's opponents.

gustavo
07/10/2006, 8:03 PM
Lads i dont argue that eL players could make an impact but it is a bit silly to say that they would automatically make more of an effort or be super patriotic just because of the league they play in,.

pete
07/10/2006, 8:06 PM
Lads i dont argue that eL players could make an impact but it is a bit silly to say that they would automatically make more of an effort or be super patriotic just because of the league they play in,.

There are eL players better than some the team & the squad used tonight.

Billy Lord
07/10/2006, 8:23 PM
What goes around, comes around. Tonight's result was the culmination of 30-odd years hoping that British clubs would provide us with internationals while Irish football just curled up and died.
Maybe someone, somewhere, with a brain and some imagination will realise that we need to develop the game at home to provide the national team with any hope of a sustainable future rather than hoping for a few decent players to grow from the weeds here at home and get plucked by British clubs.

sonofstan
07/10/2006, 8:25 PM
What goes around, comes around. Tonight's result was the culmination of 30-odd years hoping that British clubs would provide us with internationals while Irish football just curled up and died.
Maybe someone, somewhere, with a brain and some imagination will realise that we need to develop the game at home to provide the national team with any hope of a sustainable future rather than hoping for a few decent players to grow from the weeds here at home and get plucked by British clubs.

Same point as made by Feech on another thread below and dead on.

pineapple stu
07/10/2006, 8:28 PM
Can anyone tell me who Jonathan Douglas is or who he plays for etc. The first time I've heard of him was on the sideline with 10 minutes to go tonight.
Blackburn, I think. He came on against Holland and was one of our better palyers. Which, of course, has to be taken relatively.

one of the worse Irish results of the last 20 years.
Name me a worse result ever? Even Liechtenstein was an aberration - the ball just wouldn't go in. Here, 5-2 was a fair reflection. We were maybe even lucky it wasn't more. Against, with all due respect, Cyprus...

Aaron
07/10/2006, 8:33 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/5416486.stm

Refuses to walk away!! Claims he has a lot to offer!!:eek:

dfx-
07/10/2006, 8:34 PM
Blackburn, I think. He came on against Holland and was one of our better palyers. Which, of course, has to be taken relatively.

So he (might) play in the Premiership for a decent-ish/effective team and still I'd never heard of him. I could understand it more if he was playing for Mansfield. Says more about the selection policy really.

John83
07/10/2006, 8:45 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/5416486.stm

Refuses to walk away!! Claims he has a lot to offer!!:eek:
FFS. :mad: Would those Bohz lads who drove Mahon out come out of retirement for one last campaign please?

From the article:

...I have full faith in myself...
You, sir, are a moron.

pete
07/10/2006, 8:45 PM

He was released by them & now back at Leeds after spending last season on loan there.

Dodge
07/10/2006, 9:04 PM

Funnily enough, he's ex League of Ireland, played with Monaghan when he was 16/17...

Fivesilver
07/10/2006, 9:04 PM
Claims he has a lot to offer

His resignation might be a good start. :(

Poor Student
07/10/2006, 9:31 PM
There's no point in saying such and such an eL player would have done better. You had the likes of Duff, Keane, Dunne, McGeady etc. out there. Players who can perform well for their club on the big stage with big pressure. Staunton somehow makes the sum of the parts worse than its constituent parts. It's his fault. Your fantasy eL IX or whatever it is exactly that you're dreaming about would still be crap.

Dodge
07/10/2006, 9:33 PM
There's no point in saying such and such an eL player would have done better. You had the likes of Duff, Keane, Dunne, McGeady etc. out there. Players who can perform well for their club on the big stage with big pressure. Staunton somehow makes the sum of the parts worse than its constituent parts. It's his fault. Your fantasy eL IX or whatever it is exactly that you're dreaming about would still be crap.
Agreed. NOBODY knew the league better than Kerr and he didn't bother picking them. Not a political thing as nobody is more pro LOI than him but they're simply not good enough

They'd have tried though

pete
07/10/2006, 9:35 PM
You had the likes of Duff, Keane, Dunne, McGeady etc. out there.

Yes i agree but are picking the best players from tonights game.

Are you saying no eL players better than Kenny, Morrisson, St Ledger, McShane, both O'Briens, Douglas, Lee?

Poor Student
07/10/2006, 9:39 PM
Yes i agree but are picking the best players from tonights game.

Are you saying no eL players better than Kenny, Morrisson, St Ledger, McShane, both O'Briens, Douglas, Lee?

I'm saying that even the stars looked crap, so I can't even begin to imagine how the top eL players would look under him. Formation, teamwork, cohesion all looked so off. We looked like Bray Wanderers.

DmanDmythDledge
07/10/2006, 9:58 PM
I'm saying that even the stars looked crap, so I can't even begin to imagine how the top eL players would look under him. Formation, teamwork, cohesion all looked so off. We looked like Bray Wanderers.
But maybe the stars are píssed off that they have Stan as manager. They are all used to management of very high quality. Maybe they are simply fed up with Stan and couldn't be arsed giving their all under Stan. Eircom League players would have jumped at the opportunity to play for their country.

Devine, Ryan and Quigley would have put in a much better performance than Kenny and are all far better keepers than Henderson.

Jason Gavin, Owen Heary, and even Conor Kenna, Alan McNally and Tony McDonnel would have done a better job in defence tonight.

Joe Gamble, Ciaran Martyn, Barry Molloy, George O'Callaghan, Kevin Deery, Roy O'Donovan in midfield.

Jason Byrne up front.

All EL players that, IMO, are better than players in the current Irish squad.

MariborKev
07/10/2006, 9:58 PM

That would be logical conclusion to the situation we find ourselves in.

However with the FAI in charge.........

pete
07/10/2006, 10:00 PM
But maybe the stars are píssed off that they have Stan as manager. They are all used to management of very high quality. Maybe they are simply fed up with Stan and couldn't be arsed giving their all under Stan.

Some sections of the media feed up the line that the players were also feedup with Kerr...

DmanDmythDledge
07/10/2006, 10:02 PM
Some sections of the media feed up the line that the players were also feedup with Kerr...
Did they(the media) give any suggestion as to why this was?

Dodge
07/10/2006, 10:04 PM

One of them now works with the FAi.

Obviously a coincidence though...

Jaime
07/10/2006, 10:06 PM
I don't doubt that they were fed up with Kerr. They are overpaid, overrated mercenaies; they will be fed up with any manager who tries to push them (not saying Staunton does)

onceahoop
07/10/2006, 10:39 PM
Mea Culpa Mea Culpa I believed in the policy of building for the future and leaving Carsley out. How wrong I was, even though I don't think his inclusion would have changed the result ( MAYBE THE SCORELINE). The players were a disgrace. O'Brien and Kilbane should never play again and if they have to they should give the performances of their careers in atonement. O'Shea and Finnan weren't far behind. A back four of Premiersh1t players plus Keane, Kilbane, Duff and morrissin plus the acclamed McGeady and Ireland were wiped out by a team 100 and something in the world. I know we were missing 9 players through but the players have to look at themselves in the miror and the manager has to ask himself if his policy is right. If thay don't I fear for us on Wednesday against the Czechs

exiled_gufc_fan
07/10/2006, 11:00 PM
Was listening to both RTE Radio 1 and TV3 analysis at half time. The eircom league managers on Radio 1 were a lot shrewder in their analysis than the 'lets avoid the obvious' boys on TV3. One station had successful managers, the others international has-beens, two of whom failed as managers.

joema
07/10/2006, 11:11 PM
The Cork lad Gamble should have been in the squad

He should have been in the team

kdjaC
07/10/2006, 11:24 PM
Oh ffs please name one player who would ahve been better than his fully professional opposite in that team tonight.

Seriously ...is there ONE EL player who is actually better than what was on the pitch tonight??

kdjac

Soper
07/10/2006, 11:26 PM
Yes, there is.No point me saying though as you seem to have already set your opinion in stone.

joema
07/10/2006, 11:31 PM
Oh ffs please name one player who would ahve been better than his fully professional opposite in that team tonight.

Seriously ...is there ONE EL player who is actually better than what was on the pitch tonight??

kdjac

Do you honestly think Joe Gamble could have been any worse that Kilbane in the midfield tonight?? I suppose you also think Danny Murphy (yes he does qualify for Ireland and has played for us at underage level) would have been worse that that pathetic excuse for a footballer John O' Shea

Oh yeah btw both of those players are "fully profrssional"

Sam Savic
07/10/2006, 11:34 PM

kdjac
Barry Murphy and two or three others are better than Paddy Kenny.
Most left fulls are better than John O'Shea. Jason Byrne is better than Clinton Morrisson.

Soper
07/10/2006, 11:36 PM
Joe Gamble is a defensive midfielder.We don't have any holding midfielders.Most international teams have one, it's kind of a prerequisite.

joema
07/10/2006, 11:39 PM
Oh but we do have a defensive midfielder: John O'Shea :D :D :D

Billy Lord
08/10/2006, 12:08 AM
kdjaC: many thanks for your uninformed opinion.

red bellied
08/10/2006, 12:31 AM
Joe Gamble is a defensive midfielder.We don't have any holding midfielders.Most international teams have one, it's kind of a prerequisite.

Tony Fagan could have been the answer to that if he came out of retirement.:D

Réiteoir
08/10/2006, 12:36 AM
If only Kevin Hunt would declare for Ireland :(

But he wont as he has stated in the past - he wouldn't want to deprive an Irish born player of a chance of a call up

Sheridan
08/10/2006, 12:41 AM
I'd feel more represented by a team including Kevin Hunt than one composed of journeyman pros from mediocre British clubs who have never contributed anything to Irish football.

pete
08/10/2006, 10:38 AM
Of course several eL players would have done better than many of those internationals last night. A whole team of eL players would not have lost by 3 goals to Cyprus. I know international football is a step up but the eL style of play as improved a lot in recent years with top players getting 6 games in europe every year.

It says a lot about the quality of the Championship that Clinton Morrison can get his game with Crystal Palace. :rolleyes:

kdjaC
08/10/2006, 11:29 AM
Yes all these EL players who play in the EL for a pittance are better than the players playing last night on 20k a week more in some cases.

EL players play in the EL for a reason, last night Ireland had a decent 11 out. There were some good players there, fact remains they hadnt a ****ing clue what to do.

Looking at Aston Villa as an example of how a team can change with a decent manager in charge. It doesnt matter what 11 is out EL or PL based if they dont ****ing play for Ireland or have a manager who has a ****ing clue about how to manage, your fairly ****ed from the word go.

/Billy Lord that was the weirdest PM i have ever got sorry for you loss :confused:

kdjac

Dr.Nightdub
08/10/2006, 11:45 AM
Kdjac, it's not simply a matter of picking like for like in particular positions and fielding a LofI XI on principle..

A midfield of Duff and McGeady on the wings with any two out of Ciaran Martyn / Stuey Byrne / Joe Gamble would have been a better option than what Stanton went with. He had no "recognised" box-to-box centre midfielders so he went with an aging winger playing out of position and another young attacking midfielder. The result was the defence was exposed and torn to shreds.

Jason Byrne could well have contributed more than Morrison up front. Don't forget Morrison was only picked cos Doyle was injured and Doyle, in turn, is only a year and a bit out of the LofI. So it's not axiomatic that LofI players aren't good enough.

I've no solution for what to do about left back where O'Shea was, once again, poison. Out of pure despair, I'd probably just circumvent the problem by playing 3-5-2.

Peadar
08/10/2006, 11:52 AM
It was a good job that no eircom League player was involved in that debacle last night. Cork City have already proved that they know how to get a result in Nicosia, in hotter weather. We don't have to prove anything to people like Staunton.

Niall
08/10/2006, 12:00 PM

Arguably the most sensible comment ever made on this board

Raheny Red
08/10/2006, 12:00 PM
If only Kevin Hunt would declare for Ireland :(

But he wont as he has stated in the past - he wouldn't want to deprive an Irish born player of a chance of a call up

Fair play to him. :ball:

Soper
08/10/2006, 1:12 PM
Yes all these EL players who play in the EL for a pittance are better than the players playing last night on 20k a week more in some cases.

EL players play in the EL for a reason, last night Ireland had a decent 11 out. There were some good players there, fact remains they hadnt a ****ing clue what to do.

Looking at Aston Villa as an example of how a team can change with a decent manager in charge. It doesnt matter what 11 is out EL or PL based if they dont ****ing play for Ireland or have a manager who has a ****ing clue about how to manage, your fairly ****ed from the word go.

It's funny cause you're wrong.

Magicme
08/10/2006, 1:26 PM
DFX cant believe u never heard of our wee Johnny! Yeah he played at Mons then went over the water and spent sometime at Blackburn & Leeds on loan last season. He did so well at Leeds last year and was happy there that he transfered to them this year. That was his 3 or 4th full cap now and he had played in 1-2 friendlies prior to that.

Funny little bit of trivia for ya, his girlfriend's little sister has just made the Rep of Irl under 17's squad.

lofty9
08/10/2006, 2:51 PM
Time for the FAI to spend heavily on youth development in the eircom league. English football is fixated with foreigners that its own national team will be as bad as ours in a few years. We need to keep all our youngsters here and educate them as well as develop them. Millions should be spent on it, as the kids are not being developed in England now. Kevin Doyle, Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane were all developed here - the eircom league should be a viable option. However, the likes of Niall Quinn putting all his energies into Sunderland is bad for us all. We need a high profile name to get on board and help promote the game here and challenge those 'Irish' people who are mentally challenged and disturbed by supporting teams playing in a league which does Ireland no good at all.

oriel
08/10/2006, 3:11 PM
He`s full of cliche's, thats all he ever speaks of, so out of his depth its actually now worse than embarrasing, we are nothing less than a laughing stock, 100% down to staunton and delaney

Look at his back up - kevin macdonald (one good season of a sub for liverpool mid 80`s) and Pat Devlin (got bray promoted last year) Alan Kelly (what is there to say about him)

Enough said - sack the whole mgt team and admit they made a mistake.

Mr A
08/10/2006, 3:26 PM
I honestly don't think that last night had anything to do with whether EL players arepicked or not and everything to do with an atrocious management appointment.

I honestly don't think that there's an EL player that should have been in the starting 11, maybe on the bench perhaps as I'd no idea who most of those guys were but in general I agree with kdjaC on this.

sfc red
08/10/2006, 3:32 PM
Devine

Heary Dunne Bennett Finnan

Hoolahan C.Martyn Gamble Duff

R.Keane J.Byrne