PDA

View Full Version : This Friday....

Mr_T
16/09/2002, 7:11 PM
....looking like I'll be in At'lone from early enough Friday morning, and may be staying down the night.

Any Town fans up for a pint or three before the game, care to suggest a venue? Ideally one where the locals will all be mad to get their hands on the new Finn Harps fanzne, but I'll settle for one with a decent pint of Heineken.

Also, any recomendations for a decent inexpensinve B & B in the Town Centre.

Thanks.

TG

atfconline
17/09/2002, 12:00 AM
Hostel - http://www.athlone.ie/business/Directory/company-details.asp?ID=3493

B&B's - http://www.athlone.ie/business/Directory/list-companies.asp?CategoryID=127

I don't think many of those B&B's are in the town centre, so if you are looking for one that you can fall into straight from the pub, you would probably be best checking out the Thatch near the bottom of the list. It's a B&B above a pub!

Shay
17/09/2002, 10:52 AM
Looks like I'll be down there as well Mr T, probably from about 7 onwards as I'll be taking a half day from here, trying to get a few Athlone lads to come along to fill the tin hut they call Mels and of course get a bit of banter going. See you down there, I'll text you if see what pub you're drinking in.

Mr_T
17/09/2002, 12:43 PM
So what pub will we find a few Town heads in for a pint then??

Any reccomendations?

tg

atfconline
17/09/2002, 2:46 PM
Don't normally head to the pub before hand so I'm not much use to ya. The only place that comes to mind where there should be a few Town lads would be Potters beside Supermacs.

When you reach the Cresent roundabout, turn left at that if you want to go to Mel's but go straight through it to go into town. After that you come to a kind of V junction, only it has three roads off it. Take the one to the left and you'll be heading towards a church with a carpark in front of it. Turn right opposite the entrance to the carpark and you go down this hill through the old shopping centre. You come to another road then with a carpark directly opposite you and you'll see Supermacs to the right of that, and then Potters is to the right of Supermacs. There is plenty of carparking around the place for a bus. If you don't like Potters, come out of there and across the road to your right is Biddy Mulligans. If you don't like there just head up town so and find somewhere.

Then to get to Mel's you can either go back out to the Cresent roundabout and figure it out from there, or else you can walk. Say from Potters, exit to the right and walk up the road for a minute or two and you come to a turn off. There are kind of two roads off it but take the bigger one. Go past the next the turn off o the oeft and a little further up theres a left turn into St. Mel's Terrace. Run through there and you see the railway bridge at the end, go under that and Mel's is in on the right. You'd probably be better getting on the bus and heading towards the Cresent roundabout though. Theres a map and stuff on the site anyways.

renegAde
17/09/2002, 5:55 PM
Alternatively you could help line the pockets of Town chairman Paddy Mc Caul by drinking in his pub, the Palace, before the match.

The Palace can be found by crossing the main Town bridge over the river Shannon. To your left will be the Castle, to the right will be a large Chrch. The Palace is somewhere in between and usually contains a couple of the Town faithful (since the entire Town faithful numbers little more than a couple, this might be your best bet!)

Peace,
Ade

Schumi
17/09/2002, 6:15 PM
Originally posted by atfconline
Then to get to Mel's you can either go back out to the Cresent roundabout and figure it out from there, or else you can walk. Say from Potters, exit to the right and walk up the road for a minute or two and you come to a turn off. There are kind of two roads off it but take the bigger one. Go past the next the turn off o the oeft and a little further up theres a left turn into St. Mel's Terrace. Run through there and you see the railway bridge at the end, go under that and Mel's is in on the right.

:D I remember the convoluted explanation I got of how the lads found their way to the ground for the play-off.

atfconline
17/09/2002, 7:58 PM
well the short way of saying it would be head up the road, turn left and then left again, go through Mel's and go under the bridge and you're there!

I just don't want anybody getting lost from my directions, especially not around that part of town!