PDA

View Full Version : Galway

hoopy
07/10/2006, 8:24 AM
Just thought I'd say a few words on last night without putting the boot into another club:rolleyes: (see Killester/Sligo thread). Many thanks to Galway fans for being decent hosts as usual. From where I was standing the pitch looked immaculate and players had no excuses not to try to play. Fairly even game I thought although it was always going to be tight. Thought Galways defence were excellent and limited our chances to fewer than usual. All in all, bar the result, a good day out and hopefully both clubs will be in the Prem div next season to do it all again

Terry
07/10/2006, 9:26 AM
Good man hoopy. Enjoyed the beers with ye, great bunch of lads and look forward, hopefully, to seeing ye next season again.

Conor H
07/10/2006, 9:37 AM
As we sang in Fox's..."Rovers and Galway are premier league Rovers and Galway are premier league na na na"

Seriously dead on bunch-the loss didn't deter them form having a good night either.Good to meet the infamous NY Hoop aswell-top man!

geezer
07/10/2006, 9:47 AM
whatever you say about the hoops, everyone wants to come out and see their team up against them and the size of the crowd is a compliment to rovers. fair play to the large contingent of hoops who made the trip and played their part

skitz3
07/10/2006, 11:04 AM
Just thought I'd say a few words on last night without putting the boot into another club:rolleyes: (see Killester/Sligo thread). Many thanks to Galway fans for being decent hosts as usual. From where I was standing the pitch looked immaculate and players had no excuses not to try to play. Fairly even game I thought although it was always going to be tight. Thought Galways defence were excellent and limited our chances to fewer than usual. All in all, bar the result, a good day out and hopefully both clubs will be in the Prem div next season to do it all again

You opened a thread for that ffs :rolleyes:

GuisaSaigon
07/10/2006, 11:48 AM
Well done rovers fans , ye were a credit to the league yesterday

skitz3
07/10/2006, 12:16 PM
Well done rovers fans , ye were a credit to the league yesterday

Is the expectancy of trouble from Rovers so great that when they don't cause trouble we have posts and sometimes even threads like this!!

I just want to say fair play to the Waterford fans last night,they behaved impeccable!

Conor H
07/10/2006, 12:38 PM
No that's not it at all.We respect fans who come in numbers,support their team no matter what,have the banter and enjoy themselves with the UTD fans.Trouble was never ever going to happen in Galway last night-we love having proper fans down-you don't get it that often in this **** division.You'll get the same next year when your club comes down......unless you support Athlone?

BohsPartisan
07/10/2006, 1:00 PM
Is the expectancy of trouble from Rovers so great that when they don't cause trouble we have posts and sometimes even threads like this!!

I just want to say fair play to the Waterford fans last night,they behaved impeccable!

Ah give it a rest. :rolleyes:

hoopy
07/10/2006, 1:41 PM
You opened a thread for that ffs :rolleyes:

What is your name,Bert or Ernie?

skitz3
07/10/2006, 2:26 PM
What is your name,Bert or Ernie?

Good point,well made :)

Paddyfield
07/10/2006, 7:24 PM

There were more cops at Terryland than we normally would have visiting fans. :D

Both sets of fans were in good spirits including the extra 2,000 locals who haven't been to Terryland in years.

Billy Lord
07/10/2006, 8:48 PM
Two best Rovers' chants of the night: 'You're just a bus stop near Sligo' and 'We've been here more times than you'.
Galway, as usual, were excellent hosts. And we were excellent visitors too, losing 1-0 yet again. Stop being nice to us you *******s!

Conor H
07/10/2006, 8:51 PM
I loved our
"ollie Byrne's rent boys":D

Billy Lord
08/10/2006, 12:46 AM
Conor: in fairness, we may be rent boys - and that's a legitimate slag - but we've found Ollie to be a very good guy to deal with.
The fact remains that we've been to Terryland more times than most of your 'fans'.

red bellied
08/10/2006, 1:01 AM
It was announced on a local Galway radio station attendance. (3092) There is some reports of 4000 on here. I thought the health and safety issue made it a maximum of about 3000 with the new building issue in Terryland?

Paddyfield
08/10/2006, 7:46 AM
It was announced on a local Galway radio station attendance. (3092) There is some reports of 4000 on here. I thought the health and safety issue made it a maximum of about 3000 with the new building issue in Terryland?

Agreed:rolleyes: . It's a disgrace that so many people were allowed in to an Eircom League game. I preferred it more when GUFC were sh!t and attracting 400 people.

And no, I didn't miss your point.

Terry
08/10/2006, 8:07 AM
the official paying attendance was 3092, that didnt include season ticket holders and u12's as there was an obvious lack of help at the gates to do the correct head count and they were just ushering in everybody at those gates. There was members of the police, fire department and FAI amongst others at the match also and they were quite happy with everything.

Conor H
08/10/2006, 8:18 AM
Conor: in fairness, we may be rent boys - and that's a legitimate slag - but we've found Ollie to be a very good guy to deal with.
The fact remains that we've been to Terryland more times than most of your 'fans'.

No not really.The fairweathers have been there before they just took a while out.:rolleyes:

Peadar
08/10/2006, 9:19 AM
...and look forward, hopefully, to seeing ye next season again.

I'd imagine that one of you will be in the "Premiership" next season. Either club would be a welcome addition, in my opinion. Ideally, we'd put UCD where they belong, in the LSL and have both of you up.

manic da hoop
08/10/2006, 3:24 PM
I loved our
"ollie Byrne's rent boys":D

How ironic coming from Galway fans, who support a club which will continue to shell out big bucks on a monthly basis (is the figure of 2.5K correct?) just to rent their home ground for the indefinite future.

Conor H
08/10/2006, 4:01 PM
How ironic coming from Galway fans, who support a club which will continue to shell out big bucks on a monthly basis (is the figure of 2.5K correct?) just to rent their home ground for the indefinite future.

It's just a song!:rolleyes:

Paddyfield
08/10/2006, 4:04 PM

The Galway and District League (GDL) own Terryland. Recently, they joined the Board that run the Club and have a stake in it's future. The GDL needs GUFC to attract funding to improve facilities. A new stand with 2,500 seats has been approved and will commence before Christmas. If Galway United are paying €2500 per month (I have no idea what the arrangement is), then it is money well spent. Someone else maintains the stadium for GUFC and it is a decent place to play and watch football. I understand that other Clubs don't own their grounds either (Cork, Waterford, Derry, Limerick and Rovers). Also, GUFC have a long lease!

GalwayFrancis
08/10/2006, 5:12 PM
Someone else maintains the stadium for GUFC and it is a decent place to play and watch football. I understand that other Clubs don't own their grounds either (Cork, Waterford, Derry, Limerick and Rovers). Also, GUFC have a long lease!
ya, our future - for the long term - is well sorted, leasing your ground off someone that your in partnership is nothing like renting your ground of local rivals!

Poor Student
08/10/2006, 5:39 PM
we'd put UCD where they belong

Your wish has already been granted, Peader. We have teams LSL Major Division 1B Saturday and LSL Major Division Sunday.;)

Peadar
08/10/2006, 8:25 PM
Your wish has already been granted, Peader. We have teams LSL Major Division 1B Saturday and LSL Major Division Sunday.;)

I'm surprised none of your buddies have pounced in your spelling mistake yet.

The LSL has everything you could want.

Poor Student
09/10/2006, 8:38 AM
The LSL has everything you could want.

I agree. An opportunity to field our 4th and 5th strings.

NY Hoop
09/10/2006, 11:18 AM
Great trip as usual. Proper fans with no agendas. Interesting that the local keystones told the owner of Foxs not to serve Rovers fans but he could think for himself and was duly rewarded with a full house before and after the game.

Boost to see a good crowd for a first division game.

Our 2 clubs could and should be in the premier. Patrick Dunne looked stressed the whole night!

KOH

Terry
09/10/2006, 1:46 PM
poor ould Patrick Dunne had 10 grand in E2 coins in his pockets for selling all the lotto tickets, programmes etc.. and was under sheer pressure on keeping his trousers up all night !!!! :D

NY Hoop
09/10/2006, 2:17 PM
poor ould Patrick Dunne had 10 grand in E2 coins in his pockets for selling all the lotto tickets, programmes etc.. and was under sheer pressure on keeping his trousers up all night !!!! :D

LOL!!!:D He got some reception in Foxs alright!

Madman muha had to leave early!

KOH

aido1895
09/10/2006, 2:59 PM
I'm surprised none of your buddies have pounced in your spelling mistake yet.

Jaysus Peadar surely you should know by now that it is a good idea to check your own post for mistakes before correcting someone elses spelling :rolleyes:

Poor Student
09/10/2006, 4:29 PM
Proper fans with no agendas.

What does that actually mean?:confused:

Sam Savic
09/10/2006, 4:48 PM
Interesting that the local keystones told the owner of Foxs not to serve Rovers fans but he could think for himself and was duly rewarded with a full house before and after the game.

KOH

Don't know where that came from. It didn't happen.

NY Hoop
10/10/2006, 11:29 AM
Don't know where that came from. It didn't happen.

Came from the Galway fans. Doesnt sound like they made it up to be honest.

KOH