PDA

View Full Version : 4000 in Terryland

geezer
06/10/2006, 11:37 PM
it was a mighty crowd, great result ,sad for alan keane and again the refereeing is disgraceful. why do you get cards for celebrating goals and no card for sticking your cogs into the stomach of a player?
not a great game, rovers very soft at centre of defence. still all to play for, harps next week. its not an easy league

JW.
06/10/2006, 11:56 PM
Totally agree with both your posts geezer. I've missed these Terryland nights. I'll post more in the morning but our momentum will take us to our first trophy in ages; I'm almost certain of that now. The lads played with immense spirit and were readily superior to Rovers, who had a chance on 23 seconds and bairly a sniff afterwards. Very hard luck on Keano - he'll be back next year please God.

declan hide
07/10/2006, 12:33 AM
well done galway. would love to see you win it now.

Terry
07/10/2006, 9:10 AM
Oh what a night!!!

Just home from one of the biggest drinking sessions of my life! Not a great game but the atmosphere was electric and well done to all in section A who not only sang for the 90+minutes but through the half time interval and for 15 minutes after the game was over too. Ye were a credit to the club and the best supporters Ive seen in terryland in my lifetime (20 years attending united and going strong).

Not a great match by any means. I thought rovers looked very tired as maybe the athlone match, and many others where they have had to play full steam for the 90minutes, are taking toll on the players now.

The entire United team gave 100% and everybody (galway people that is) left terryland buzzing and looking forward to filling terryland again in 2 weeks time to see the same again against Dundalk. The belief in the players is evident in the way they are playing football. I dont think rovers would have scored even if they were still up there. Gough made 2 saves in the entire match both coming from deflected shots. Wes and Billy were absolutely brilliant. micko and both right backs (Keane and Keady) were also great. Foley and Carter (while not playing there best) let nothing through them. All the rest, without naming them, were lightening fast going forward and all were getting back when needed too. For me, the most impressive player had to be Derek O'Brien. His work rate has gone through the roof since Tony's arrival, winning headers, winning tackles, beating players, putting in crosses all top rate, well done Derek. The subs Keady, Russell and Cooke were all commited too and a credit to the club.

Lets all spare a thought for Alan Keane. It was a fair challenge, it was just bad luck and everybody wishes him the best and thank him for his services this season and look forward to seeing him again next season in the premiership.

Finally, I would like to say thanks and well done to all the shamrock rovers supporters. Once again both supporters groups met up before and after the match in foxes bar for beers, songs, and the craic. Sound bunch of lads the lot of ye and yer a credit to yer club. See ye next year !

Conor H
07/10/2006, 9:14 AM
Ya agree with everything Terry said.Rovers fans were great crack as usual and the atmosphere created in section A last night with about 350,maybe more,people was sureal.Conor H and his sore head have never felt so good the morning after a match!

Our time has finally arrived!

Terry
07/10/2006, 9:18 AM
Dont know if you recognised Conor but yer singing was catchy last night and everybody up the back as far down as section C where I was, was singing with ye too.

Conor H
07/10/2006, 9:22 AM
Ya daniel said that to me last night alright.Absoloutely brillaint so it was!Some lad's Uncle was there for the 1st time in years and said the atmosphere made the match!:)

geezer
07/10/2006, 9:42 AM
at one stage it became like a mexican wave, the section a started with united and within 2-3 minutes it had spread right through the stand down past the press box and everyone was shoutIng "united, united" and every ones hand was in the air , i never witnessed anything like it in Terryland before. it could be somethinn to do with the amount of season ticket fans spread throughout the stand who were familiar with the layout and seemed intent on making any fans that were there for the big occasion realise it could be like this all the time.... unbelievable cousins said on the radio it was unreal

JW.
07/10/2006, 10:37 AM
it could be somethinn to do with the amount of season ticket fans spread throughout the stand who were familiar with the layout and seemed intent on making any fans that were there for the big occasion realise it could be like this all the time.... unbelievable cousins said on the radio it was unreal
Yeah I was where I always stand at the back of the stand on the halfway line and it was just a case of trying to keep the atmosphere up there. Seats destroy atmosphere; this was very evident in this section last night, but at the end, the whole stand was shouting "United..." - the lads in Section A seemed brilliant but you honestly can't hear them in the middle of the stand because of the sound dynamics or whatever. But the way the players saluted you guys over there suggests they certainly could hear it! I've never seen the players/management salute the crowd as they did last night - it was special.

As for the game, we were thoroughly worthy winners. It wasn't a great game but I don't really care on occasions like this. My father (at his first game in ages) said he thought Frannie had a great game; I thought his passing was really slack but he has presence and improved when Ciaran was taken off (somewhat harshly but I assume the height factor was important here).
The defence was absolutely outstanding. Billy and Wes totally on top. Nigel did well when he came on, great to see Micko the Donegal gent doing well also.
Russler showed his innate class (albeit in patches) when he got the ball after coming on. What a top player he can prove to be. Derek's workrate was outstanding, while Cookey got the crowd going when he was introduced. Raf is Raf.
The lads up front worked very well, at times too detached from the midfield. The moment of the night for me was the quite frankly sublime pass by Dowdy to set up what should have been the opening goal from Conor. Dowdy then missed a sitter himself but his endeavours are unrelenting.
I take it Slab will return against Harps: can Conor play against them?

The spirit in this team is greater than I've ever seen in a GUFC team.
The programme was excellent last night by the way.

GuisaSaigon
07/10/2006, 11:02 AM
UNBELIEVABLE! What a night im absolutely dying so i wont say too much because i doubt if im making too much sense this mornin.One of the best nights ever seen in Terryland EVERY PLAYER THAT WORE THE SHIRT AND EVERY FAN THAT SANG THEIR TONSILS OUT WERE A CREDIT TO THEIR CLUB , THEIR LEAGUE AND THEIR COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

exiled_gufc_fan
07/10/2006, 12:04 PM
What a match to come home for!! I won't begrudge Aer Arann a penny of it!

Myself and my brother were at the back of Section B and we spent the night doing our best to get Section B involved in the singing that Section A, credit to them, were leading in such an exuberent fashion.

My voice is about three octaves lower this morning. It's a night that will sit in the memory for a very long time.

It was good to catch up with some of the lads I met at the Wycombe match in pre-season last night as well as many from the supporters club buses back in the days.

As for the crowd - it was great to get a RESULT and to have such a great atmosphere for the irregulars who turned up last night. Hopefully it will encourage them to come back more frequently.

My father usually goes about twice a season - when Kildare visit, as one of his mates his high up in Kildare County - but not only he did he make it last night, so did my mother - for her first game since the Cup Final in 1991!!

GUISAUltra
07/10/2006, 12:12 PM
UNBELIEVABLE! What a night im absolutely dying so i wont say too much because i doubt if im making too much sense this mornin.One of the best nights ever seen in Terryland EVERY PLAYER THAT WORE THE SHIRT AND EVERY FAN THAT SANG THEIR TONSILS OUT WERE A CREDIT TO THEIR CLUB , THEIR LEAGUE AND THEIR COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

last night was one of the best nights i've had in a long time, apart from dropping nearly E30 worth of vodka outside richardsons:mad: fair play to every single person inside terryland last night, rovers and united. they helped too make a night that will live seriously long in the memory. i have never ever experienced anything like the atmosphere in section a last night, f**king unbelievable. i'd also just like to give massive credit to shamrock rovers, ye're fans were a credit to your club and an example to all others in the league. brilliant craic with them pre and post game and never even a sniff of trouble. Cant wait til next season whe we get them in terryland again, in the premiership of course:D. my head feels like it has been run over by an arctic lorry

thescoringgoals
07/10/2006, 10:23 PM
the best of many memories i have from last night was when the board went up for injury time at end of the game and a groan went up when it said 4 min,but straight away it was replaced by a UTD UTD UTD chant from everyone in the stand and the place was rocking and we sang them home for the last "6" mins.i was in section c and we joined in most chants too,an unreal atmosphere,lets keep it going for the dundalk game in 2 weeks time but first we gotta win up in donegal,no easy feat but surely we wont blow it now,will we???.

Mr A
08/10/2006, 2:37 PM
I take it Slab will return against Harps: can Conor play against them?

Gethins can't play against Harps.

Next week will be interesting. Ye have to be strong favourites but we never know what to expect from our team and have done pretty well against ye this year.

Anyway, I'd encourage as many of you to travel as possible- we need the feckin money!

GUISAUltra
08/10/2006, 3:22 PM
dont worry we'll have a nice few there, a small bit more than the 14 seater mini that was there earlier in the season