PDA

View Full Version : Delaney set for talks with Bobby...

PaulB
06/10/2006, 11:27 AM
is this the end of the road of Bobby's involvement with ireland. me thinks so..

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=420388&CPID=219&clid=116&lid=2&title=Sir+Bobby+set+for+Ireland+talks

RogerMilla
06/10/2006, 11:43 AM
no chance we could sack delaney and appoint sir bobby in that role ?

Stuttgart88
06/10/2006, 11:58 AM
was thinking exactly the same roger!

NeilMcD
06/10/2006, 11:59 AM
Do we really have to call him Sir Bobby. We are a Republic after all.

wws
06/10/2006, 12:02 PM
thats his title

what has the irish republic got to do with that?

Stuttgart88
06/10/2006, 12:03 PM
I'm happy to call him Sir Bobby.

RogerMilla
06/10/2006, 12:09 PM
more than happy to call him sir bobby , he earned it unlike some of the muppets out there with titles. it doesnt make us any less of a republic if we recognise other countries honour systems.

OwlsFan
06/10/2006, 12:11 PM
no chance we could sack delaney and appoint sir bobby in that role ?

The same Robson I remember holding his head in his hands at Euro 88 as his team went and lost all 3 games? Non merci!

Kingdom
06/10/2006, 12:12 PM
I think he needs to be replaced. I mean he's done very little with the actual squad since he was appointed because of his health. Nice man and all that he seems to be, can the association afford to be paying someone who is not fit for the job? I doubt it.

I agree with Neil on this, why do we have to call him Sir, its not like he's king of anything, he's not here on an official visit. Plain old Bobby will do for me.

NeilMcD
06/10/2006, 12:13 PM
Fair enough I suppose its a personal thing. I think its our proxmity to Britain means that we use their titles but we dont use other honour systems throughout the world. I would just call him Bobby Robson. I have no problem with him and in fact I think he is a top class coach and guy etc. But personally I dont believe in an honour system.

We dont have such a system here that is why I mentioned the Irish republic. Also the Republic is the key word in that too.

wws
06/10/2006, 12:17 PM
i totally dont get this!

its there honour system - its their terminology

it doesnt effect a republic here in any way to recognise someone elses way of sayin things

RogerMilla
06/10/2006, 12:17 PM
owls fan he learned his lesson and made a fairly strong comeback in italia 90 i recall..... and its delaneys job i want to give him not stans!!
fair enough kingdom and neil about the title , i have stated my views above and we are drifting off topic...

RogerMilla
06/10/2006, 12:19 PM
sorry about the title debate chaps , this is a sack delaney thread!!
will delaney appoint andother consultant to replace SBR if he goes?

NeilMcD
06/10/2006, 12:23 PM
i totally dont get this!

its there honour system - its their terminology

it doesnt effect a republic here in any way to recognise someone elses way of sayin things

Do we use other peoples honours systems when referring to them. I dont think so. Many other countries have honour systems but we dont use theirs. For people who believe in an honour systems its fair enough to use the title. But I dont belive in such a system and as I said its a personal thing so each to their own I suppose.

wws
06/10/2006, 12:28 PM
i cant think of any countries honour system that confers titles as add ons to a persons name - the sir thing seems unique to england, knights of the realm and all that b0ll0cks

ure just hung up about it cos its the brits

his name just happens to be sir bobby robson - cos thats what they call him in his own country, so it would be an act of pedantry or inferiority to just drop the sir

OwlsFan
06/10/2006, 12:33 PM
owls fan he learned his lesson and made a fairly strong comeback in italia 90 i recall..... and its delaneys job i want to give him not stans!!...

England were blessed in Italia 90. They were diabolical against us in the rain in Sardinia and like us just scraped out of the group (they won 1 out of 3 - we drew all ours). They scraped past Belgium 1-0 (David Platt ??) and was it Cameroon they also just beat by a goal? Went out to the Germans on penos so they got to the semis without ever being convincing. Other than at Ipswich in the beginning, I am not sure Robson was a great success wherever he went.Talked a good game - media loves that. I was disappointed with his appointment to the Irish set up along with the appointment of Stan. Why pay someone to teach your manager when there were managers already schooled available.

But that's history and on we go....

pineapple stu
06/10/2006, 12:35 PM
The same Robson I remember holding his head in his hands at Euro 88 as his team went and lost all 3 games? Non merci!
Wow - way to tar an entire career with one brush! It's the same Robson who took England to their best World Cup finish since '66, who took Ipswich to European and domestic honours, who has been a success in three different countries on the continent? I'd give him every opportunity to stay on with us if he wants to.

No real problems with calling him Sir Bobby, incidentally. It's his title. We're very quick to complain about foreigners coming here and wanting things done their way, so don't see how we can complain here.

Poor Student
06/10/2006, 12:38 PM
We're very quick to complain about foreigners coming here and wanting things done their way, so don't see how we can complain here.

Actually, that's mainly you.;)

Stuttgart88
06/10/2006, 12:40 PM
Someone of Sir Bobby's experience would be ideal to run our football association, not that he'd be interested.

WTF has John Delaney ever done except serve his own personal purposes, break all his pledges and avenge the manner in which his father was treated (for breaking rules & making personal gain from ticket sales if I remember correctly, but could be wrong)?

pineapple stu
06/10/2006, 12:43 PM
Actually, that's mainly you.;)
Jack Straw now too. :) And he's only following the French example. And I've heard plenty of support for him in work today for a start.

Can't argue with Stuttgart88's last post...

PaulB
06/10/2006, 12:52 PM
Was never a big supporter of the Stan/Bobby combination, and nothing I'v seen has made me change my mind. Only think I was hoping was that with the influence of Bobby we would at least play nice football, not the case from experience so far.

Big fear now, Bobby goes, who comes in (Graham Taylor, Bryan Bobson) :eek:

pineapple stu
06/10/2006, 12:53 PM
Only game Robson's been at so far was Sweden, wasn't it? Best performance too, even if it was against a side who weren't overly worried about the game.

RogerMilla
06/10/2006, 12:54 PM
agreed stuttgart although i dont know if delaneys old man personally made gain from tickets but he certainly allowed other chancers to do so !!

Noelys Guitar
06/10/2006, 1:35 PM
Delaney is up to something here. My guess is he is going to try deflect abuse away from Staunton if everything goes pear shaped tomorrow or wednesday. In that scenario Delaeny would hope to get Bobby off the payroll and look to bring in someone else to "coach" the manager. Delaney hoping that this would dilute the critisism of Stan. It won't. Or if Ireland win both matches then why would Stan need Bobby. Pure speculaton but not beyond the realms.

cavan_fan
06/10/2006, 1:40 PM
As an example we refer to

Sheikh Makhtoum al-Makthoum
The Aga Khan

These are titles, why cant we use Britain's?

kingp35
06/10/2006, 2:00 PM
I think Ireland should terminate the employment of Robson because we have to be honest, he has had very little input into the team since his appointment. There is no point in having him on the payroll if he is not doing his job.

onenilgameover
06/10/2006, 2:34 PM
Delaney looking like a right fool these days..with Stan making a idiot of himself and Bobby's ill health and inability to do his job...but will anything come of it and will anything be written in the papers directly apposed to delaney...i think not...!!!!

Rovers'Til IDie
06/10/2006, 2:51 PM
"The much-loved former England manager was forced to undergo surgery in August to remove a brain tumour, and as a result was unable to stand alongside Staunton for the friendly defeat to Holland and the narrow Euro 2008 qualifying loss in Germany."
Lucky for Bobby he wasn't standing alongside Staunton, he might have gotten hit by a flying water bottle. :)

Over the post
06/10/2006, 4:59 PM
I think Ireland should terminate the employment of Robson because we have to be honest, he has had very little input into the team since his appointment. There is no point in having him on the payroll if he is not doing his job.

How would you feel about your employer giving you the sack because you had the misfortune to develop a brain tumour?

EalingGreen
06/10/2006, 5:04 PM
Fair enough I suppose its a personal thing. I think its our proxmity to Britain means that we use their titles but we dont use other honour systems throughout the world. I would just call him Bobby Robson. I have no problem with him and in fact I think he is a top class coach and guy etc. But personally I dont believe in an honour system.

We dont have such a system here that is why I mentioned the Irish republic. Also the Republic is the key word in that too.

Give it back, O'Connor! ;)

http://www.corkandross.org/jsp/newsandevents/newsdisplay.jsp?newsID=163

geysir
06/10/2006, 5:21 PM
How would you feel about your employer giving you the sack because you had the misfortune to develop a brain tumour?
It's a delicate situation and Robson should be treated with the dignity that he deserves.
My own feeling is that it's too early for talks on Robson's retirement.
Delaney could be rushing the process in order to get somebody else in for San Marino games. If Bobby declares himself ready to attend the San Marino preparations then he should be kept on as long as he is sufficiently fit in mind and body.

No calls for the return of Jack to oversee Stan? :)

Qwerty
06/10/2006, 10:12 PM
The FAI are already advertising for the position, saw this in the Indo

Part-time babysitter wanted for uncommunicative kid, prone to temper tantrums and obstinate beahvior. Very sensitive to sunshine. Familiarity with football a plus. Some travel required. Send CVs to Nuala @ FAI, 80 Merrion Square, Dublin 2.

Scram
06/10/2006, 10:45 PM
i cant think of any countries honour system that confers titles as add ons to a persons name - the sir thing seems unique to england, knights of the realm and all that b0ll0cks

ure just hung up about it cos its the brits

his name just happens to be sir bobby robson -

:rolleyes: no, his name is BOBBY ROBSON and we can call him whatever the fcuk we want!!

More good business Mr. John Delaney CEO, second only to Peter Ridsdale. He could actually have gotten an international coach for the price of Starter Stan and Broken Down Bob

pineapple stu
07/10/2006, 2:42 AM
It's a delicate situation and Robson should be treated with the dignity that he deserves.
Delaney could be rushing the process in order to get somebody else in for San Marino games.
With all due respect to San Marino, we shouldn't have to rush back any managerial coach to lead the manager to victory over them. We have until March to decied on Bobby.

Big Jack mentor - there's an idea!!

skitz3
07/10/2006, 11:20 AM
Big Jack mentor - there's an idea!!

Oh good jesus no,i'll top myself!

geysir
07/10/2006, 3:13 PM
With all due respect to San Marino, we shouldn't have to rush back any managerial coach to lead the manager to victory over them.
Not for the purpose of beating SM of course but for some quality squad time for future reference.

pete
07/10/2006, 3:23 PM

I believe Robson is a contractor so no work no pay.

Noelys Guitar
08/10/2006, 3:28 AM
Delaney is up to something here. My guess is he is going to try deflect abuse away from Staunton if everything goes pear shaped tomorrow or wednesday. In that scenario Delaeny would hope to get Bobby off the payroll and look to bring in someone else to "coach" the manager. Delaney hoping that this would dilute the critisism of Stan. It won't. Or if Ireland win both matches then why would Stan need Bobby. Pure speculaton but not beyond the realms.

Err. Daglish being brought in. I was right again.

kingp35
09/10/2006, 12:48 PM

Do you suggest the FAI should sit around and do nothing as Irisg Football is crumbling all around them?