PDA

View Full Version : No 1 Away Supporters Crown!!!

Mr_T
15/09/2002, 1:11 PM
From ATFC's report for Hospital Pass on your recent game against Galway:
"Alluding back to the Galway game for a moment and credit must go to the travelling United fans. Having never seen Athlone play in the Premier Division, it is great to see relegated teams like Galway and Harps, and to a lesser extent Dundalk bringing singing and flags and flares[even if they are not allowed anymore] to Mel's and creating a great atmosphere.
The best game I can remember, atmosphere wise was probably the top of the table clash against Dundalk in Mel's in the 2000/01season.There was a big crowd and a real sense of occasion, something you don't get very often in this division.
As good as the Dundalk fans were that day, I don't remember them being too hot at the singing so I'd rank Galway first, Harps second and Dundalk third in that sphere. At least we can be safe in the knowledge that we make more noise than Limerick and Monaghan. If those cows could travel, I wouldn't be too sure about Monaghan though."

Lets hope you'll be revising those ranking after Friday night putting Harps back where they belong ;)

Also, I feel obliged to point out that prominent Harps singer (and drummer) Mr A was accompanying the Galway fans at that match and contributed in no small way to them taking our title!! :confused: So we should probably still be at No. 1 when you take into avccount that we have to actually loan out fans to other travelling clubs!! :D

See yis Friday - with our all new BIG DRUM. Purchased especially for the Harps by the lads at DTTR fanzine we reckon it's the loudest drum in the league, and even blew them away in Turners Cross last week.

TG

atfconline
15/09/2002, 4:10 PM
Ah I don't know now! They were pretty good, and they didn't smoke us out of the stand with their flare either! I'm afraid I must have deleted those photos, can't find them on the PC anywhere. Which is a pity coz they were quite funny!

Anyways, do your best on Friday, just no singing You'll Never Walk in Athlone! And good to see you took your ranking well, I was told by a prominent Galway fan that ye'd be very upset ;)

Mr_T
15/09/2002, 4:50 PM
...as last year there were NO teams in Div 1 with decent away followings. Dundalk and Galway should at least bring a few to Finn Park. Not that upset, just determined to recalim our crown :D

Still think we should get partial credit for Galways performance as one of our lads was on loan and helping them out!!

tg

atfconline
15/09/2002, 4:58 PM
Yes but sure I don't know how much help he was! I'm sure the Galway lads would say that they didn't need him at all.

We'll see come Friday! I'm actually raging we have ye this Friday, could do with some easier games first. We don't need to be going up against the champions-in-waiting straight away after recording our first win of the season.

Mr_T
15/09/2002, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by atfconline
We don't need to be going up against the champions-in-waiting straight away after recording our first win of the season.

Steady, don't be trying to build us up for a fall. Limerick were terrible last night, tho it was good to see McQ back to form, killed the game with 2 goals in 40 seconds.

As for Mr A, he's quite vocal, but he'll only drum for the Harps ;)

tg