PDA

View Full Version : Athlone, Great Win

Oh No
14/09/2002, 10:00 PM
Great 3-1 win tonight. I wasn't at it but it sounds controversial with Kildare having two players sent off, one of these Davis (I think that's their 'keeper) sent off in the first minute.

Great too to see Steven Kelly on the scoresheet, his influence seems to be growing after a shaky start.

Well done Jimmy and the lads , if we can only follow this up with a win against Harps in Mel's next Friday.

Looking forward to reading the report.

atfconline
14/09/2002, 11:54 PM
I just hope that Kildare had a sub goalie on the bench, and that we didn't score three against an outfield player?!

Never the less three points is three points and just what the team needed. Good to see one of the young lads scoring too.

renegAde
16/09/2002, 2:41 PM
Well done to the lads on an important win. You could say that Kildare made it easy for us by getting two players sent off, but a win's a win regardless of how it comes about.

If the likes of Stevie Mullen, Eric Molloy and Cabsy are back fit for friday we should give Harps a good game.

Peace,
Ade

KCFC
16/09/2002, 5:21 PM
Sorry lads for jumping on your forum but it appears none of you were at the game.

Jim O'Neill from Waterford was the ref and he basically decided the result after about 45 seconds with a shameful decision to send off our keeper and award a penalty.

With 10 men we owned the ball and had Athlone on the back foot for the rest of the game. Of course we couldn't score and our sub keeper gifted you a second by completely missing a cross and your spare player knocked it in unmarked.

We still outplayed you and missed chance after chance before finally getting one back. We then thought we could get another but the ref decided otherwise by booking our striker for dissent after he was fouled and booked him again later for a late tackle.

Your keeper saved a great shot from Philip Gorman when it was 1-0 only he did it with his hands about 10 yards outside the box.
He only got a yellow. Shocking decision.

In injury time our winger was in on goal and your defender hauled him down. Ref waved play on and you scored from the resulting counter attack with 2 athlone players waiting for a tap in.

Sorry if it sounds like sour grapes but we really were rode by this guy and you didn't create anything even against 9 men you were on the backfoot.

But a win is a win and fair play to ye. Just be afraid if you ever see jim o neill come to St. Mels.

renegAde
16/09/2002, 5:58 PM
It's true I, for one, wasn't at the game, but after a string of poor results you can blame us for being happy with a 3-1 win regardless of how it came about.

Peace,
Ade

atfconline
16/09/2002, 6:31 PM
We've had O'Neill plenty of times in Mel's. Seem to remember complaining bout him to someone walking home from a game in Mel's last season. Slightly fat balding curly haired fella? Any team can get a bad ref on the night, it wasn't our fault! The only two refs I've any time for anyways would be Tomney and Tuite.

As for our goalie only getting a yellow card for handling outside the box, there was some post on the eL board about that a while ago and JC [a ref] said that it is not necessarily a red card [I think].

Anyways hope to see ye get some wins under yer belt, don't want to see ye in the bottom two come January. Those places should be reserved for Monaghan and Dublin.

renegAde
16/09/2002, 7:17 PM
I was at the Pats-Bohs game at Richmond Park a few weeks back, when the Pats keeper handled the ball about 5 yards outside the box. He was also given a yellow card for it. It's not a sending-off offence, or if it is the eircom league referees clearly don't know it!

Peace,
Ade

KCFC
17/09/2002, 10:26 AM
as i said lads, fair play on your win and your right it wasn't athlones fault.

Your lads were delighted with the win in the bar afterwards and its good to see a local team do well.

I agree the bottom place should be reserved for Dublin Home Farm Fingal Everton City. :)

Éanna
17/09/2002, 6:43 PM
O'Neill is probably down in Division 1 again after his performance in the bohs - city. The guy makes incompetence a past-time. He's unbelievable.